• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab property question

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
Are there going to be places when the opponent di's away from you only a small amount yet you can't dash grab but could grab with a jump cancelled grab?

i've been trying to test it on 1/4 speed...and it seems that the dash grab snags them even if they are closer than the maximum range of the dash grab..

so basically i'm wondering if i'm safe just using dash grabs for the forward diied grabs in the chain throw for sheik.

Because i know that on some di's that you can only grab with a dash grab.

Thanks for any help

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Are there going to be places when the opponent di's away from you only a small amount yet you can't dash grab but could grab with a jump cancelled grab?

i've been trying to test it on 1/4 speed...and it seems that the dash grab snags them even if they are closer than the maximum range of the dash grab..

so basically i'm wondering if i'm safe just using dash grabs for the forward diied grabs in the chain throw for sheik.

Because i know that on some di's that you can only grab with a dash grab.

Thanks for any help
you cant di partially. its either left right or no di on grabs.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
DI is air influence..that makes no sense at all..if you just di for part of the air time and then stop it should be partial di i would think..

please elaborate further

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
No, DI isn't air influence. It directs your trajectory on where you are hit. DI'ing happens before or while you are being attacked. You can only decide what direction you're going to go, not how far you are sent, or else people will be lving forever.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
No, DI isn't air influence. It directs your trajectory on where you are hit. DI'ing happens before or while you are being attacked. You can only decide what direction you're going to go, not how far you are sent, or else people will be lving forever.
only during when youa re hit, not before, because you haven't been hit yet. what youa re thinking of is preemptively holding the control stick the way you DI knowing you are going to be hit soon. and certain directions help you live longer because they send you a less amount of distance.

Magus420

Smash Master
You can DI anything partially. Throws included. Also to clarify, directional DI doesn't change how much knockback it has, though depending on your weight and fall speed you may travel more/less distance than normal as a result. Less distance isn't always better for survival either however.

To answer your question, just dash grab. Sheik's dash grab not only has more range outward, but even has more range inward from your starting position than a JC grab because it has 3 hitboxes lined up horizontally compared to the JC/standing grab's 2, and also takes the exact same amount of time as a JC as well as being simpler to do. Even if that weren't the case and the JC grab could indeed grab closer in than a dash grab, the dash and standing grab's coverage overlaps quite a bit so there are no gaps between them anyway. There is, however, a significant gap between Sheik's standing grab and turn standing grabs that makes it tougher to grab them if they DI partially behind at higher damages to come down ontop of you.

Top Bottom