• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gordo Approach Options

EarlExcellent

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirTwinings
Just wondering if there are any "safe" gordo approach options. I usually approach with FF nairs into either F-tilts or D-tilts, but the range and sheer power of that spiky ball is too tempting to resist as an approach sometimes. The only problem is that those things are easier to hit back than a tee-ball, and if you eat a reflected gordo, not only have you taken an unnecessary 14%, but you've lost stage control. Any gordo mix-ups that are either unexpected or hard to punish?

PS: new to smashboards, pls forgive any noob mistakes i make

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
Once I found out how to really control the gordo I fell in love with the up-tilted version of the throw. It goes no where and bounces in place right in front of you. When spaced right, it is tough for the opponent to run up on you and if they come close to hit it back at you, you are close enough to make a play on it, usually shield into grab.

Also very useful to throw the gordo this way when they are returning to stage as the gordo, when don correctly, will bounce once or twice on stage, then fall straight down, preventing anyone from coming from below to recover.

EarlExcellent

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirTwinings
I agree with the gordo as a recovery option, it really makes edge guarding DDD a nightmare. And i suppose if you're playing a heavy pressure character like mario or ZSS the uptilted gordo would be good for making their approach harder, especially paired with the ridiculous range on F-tilt

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
Don't see why people are so quick to dismiss Gordos. It's pretty much always in your control whether you get hit back from them or not (my guess is people just aren't quick enough on shield). A lot of Dedede's I see either spam this move or only use it to recover from the ledge, which is unfortunate.

Anyway I like to do a Jump and then a Gordo's Toss, it changes the angle where they go to your liking and can let you jump over projectiles. Good for stopping approaches since you can fade back with it.

And yeah the best way to approach with Gordo is to have it bounce around in the same place, so you can use it as a sort of "wall". The move is too laggy to just lob it straight at people for approaching.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
In the For Glory meta of Final Destinations. Its pretty decent to jump and throw Gordos from the air. With the correct angle, even if they bounce it back it wont get to you up there. This is especially good when the enemy is spamming or charging projectiles. Just remember to alternate the vertical bounce Gordo and the fast Gordo for the best mindgames.

Also, when you see an opponent stanting still just waiting for the Gordo to bounce it like a cheeky monkey. Utilt to bounce it back. Its hilarious if they get hit; if it goes right over their heads, you know at least they will think it twice before going bounce stance again.

Having said this, the best approach for D3 is still the one of waiting for your opponent to approach you.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Approaching with gordo? If I must approach, I like to inch my way in while hiding behind its actives frames to see how my opponents will react to it.
The toss where you hold up after initially starting the attack is my go to for relieving pressure on D3 and for getting pressure started with him as well.

Edit: I'm referring to the U-tilted gordo, didn't know there was a term for this haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom