• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Goomba is Tired of Getting Stepped On! Goomba Support Thread

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
“And they said Goomba With a Hat was a bad idea!”

SO WHO IS GOOMBA?

Unless you’ve been living under a shiitake mushroom, you’d already know about Goombas. They are the first enemy encountered in nearly every Mario game, being the easiest one to defeat with a single stomp. They follow the lead of Bowser, and are one of the most iconic minions in gaming history.

WHY SHOULD HE BE IN SMASH?

Like previously stated, Goombas are one of the most iconic enemies/minions in all of gaming, so a Goomba for a character makes sense for their legacy alone. A Koopa Troopa is close to equal with Goomba’s popularity, but Smash does have an over abundance of koopas at the moment (Bowser, Bowser Jr, and the Koopalings), so the turtle race doesn’t need to have another one. Goomba is still very relevant to this day, even getting a surprise playable appearance in Super Mario Party for the Switch! But how could Goombas work as a character since hey have only two feet and no arms? Well there’s a lot they could pull from through all the different Goomba variations throughout Mario history, like paragoomba wings to fly, a tanooki tail attack, etc. To some, a Goomba seems like a boring choice for smash, but their simple design leaves a lot of room for imaginative and creative ways to hold their own in a fight.

MOVESET

Neutral B: A chargeable attack, charges a line of 1-8 yellow microgoombas that chase after the closest opponent, each one doing a minimal amount of damage, but with an 8 stack can end up doing not only a good amount, but also as the chain attacks the opponent it puts them into a hit stun for longer to follow up with another attack!
Up B: Grows Goomba wings and gets a few extra jumps for a short period of time, before the wings fall off and Goomba goes into a free fall
Side B: Goomba speeds up into a charge to plow through enemies, like they do in 3D Mario games when they chase the player
Down B: Similar to the function of Bowser’s Down B, Goomba hops in a Goomba shoe and plummets straight down. If on the ground, jumps in an arc. However, if you input B again the moment you hit the ground, you can keep hopping forward in another arc until you have no more ground to hop on or you stop inputting B. It’s faster than Bowser’s Down B, but it does do less damage and knock back in exchange.

Up Smash: Goomba adorns his spike hat from Paper Mario, thrusting above
Side Smash: A forward headbutt attack
Down Smash: Grows a tanooki tail from Mario 3D Land, spinning around to attack both sides

Jab: A furiously rapid bite attack, finishes with a final chomp
Dash Attack: Jumps forward with a ‘body’ slam
Side Tilt: Uses a forward headbonk attack like in Paper Mario
Up Tilt: Hops up with a headbutt
Down Tilt: Rolls forward to attack

N-Air: A quick spinning attack
F-Air: Kicks feet forward
B-Air: Kicks feet backwards
Up-Air: Head swipes in an upwards arc
D-Air: Plummets down head-first

Grab: Goomba grabs opponent with mouth, pummels by chomping
Back, Forward, and Up Throw: Basic throws
Down Throw: Hops up and throws the opponent to the ground, launching them in an angle to follow up

Up Taunt: Goomba puts on Goomboss’ Crown, and goes cross eyed and hops around before laughing and removing the crown
Side Taunt: 8 Microgoombas run around Goomba, causing him to spin around and get dizzy
Down Taunt: Goomba gets angry and stomps his feet

Final Smash: Goomba puts on his Captain Goomba flag hat (from the Bowser Minions Story of the Super Star Saga remake for the 3DS) and charges forward. When an opponent is hit, a cinematic plays where ‘Captain Goomba’ leads an army of Bowsers minions in the Overworld of the Mushroom Kingdom, trampling over and attacking the opponent, finishing the cinematic by launching them to the blast zone.
THE MINION’S MINIONS
1: SAMation SAMation (me)
2: Zoljinx_ Zoljinx_
3: ThyCheshireCat ThyCheshireCat
4: Demonfunds Demonfunds
5: TheCJBrine TheCJBrine
6: Peridorito Peridorito
7: Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy
8: smashingDoug smashingDoug
9: AirMac1 AirMac1
10: Flyboy Flyboy
11: Frizz Frizz
12: CodakTheWarrior CodakTheWarrior
13: Kirbeh Kirbeh
14: Sir Ridley XII Sir Ridley XII
15: YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
16: Gengar84 Gengar84

At the current state, it seems unlikely Goomba could get in anytime soon, but perhaps with enough support the dream can become a reality one day!

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
This idea has been around in my head for a little while now, ever since I heard an argument that Bandana Dee was a bad choice because “it’s like just a Goomba with a hat” and I figured well, why shouldn’t we have a Goomba with a hat? Sounds pretty fun to me!

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Costumes:

Goomba
Goombario (Paper Mario)
Goombella (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door)
Goombette (Super Mario Odyssey)
Captain Goomba (Mario Party 8)
Gold Goomba (New Super Mario Bros. 2)
Jack O' Goomba (Super Mario Galaxy/2)
Octoomba (Super Mario Galaxy/2)

Galoomba Echo Fighter

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Throw me onto that support list, I don't know why, but I've always been a fan of a basic Mario enemy between Goombas, Shy Guys, Dry Bones, just any of the enemies making it into the Smash Roster. guess I'm just a fan of the minor enemies that you fight along the way.

I like to imagine that he would have a similar gimmick to Jigglypuff's shield break, where if you Footstool hopped on his head, he'd get meteor smashed.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Throw me onto that support list, I don't know why, but I've always been a fan of a basic Mario enemy between Goombas, Shy Guys, Dry Bones, just any of the enemies making it into the Smash Roster. guess I'm just a fan of the minor enemies that you fight along the way.

I like to imagine that he would have a similar gimmick to Jigglypuff's shield break, where if you Footstool hopped on his head, he'd get meteor smashed.
The footstool spike may be a bit much on him, but maybe he gets like 1% of damage when footstooled, and mayhaps gets a damage take multiplier like Bowser Jr, taking slightly more damage on the top of the head and the rest of the body takes slightly less!

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
As long as he doesn't open the floodgates for Mooks ( honestly I'll never care about a single Mario spinoff character roster because it's all mooks and the same characters we always see ) I would love to see a Goomba jumping around and kicking the crap out of people with the best of them.

If I had my way though, there'd be an alt with Goombella... I just want to see her in 3D, I hate that the Paper Mario characters are canonincally made of paper tbh.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I love using dimmunitive joke characters that nobody takes seriously.

I like the idea of Goomba playable, or any other similar Mario character that isn't an obvious choice.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
By the way, I’m pretty new to making these kinds of threads, do I put people on the support list who ask to be put on or do I also put in people who just say something along the lines “I want him in” but don’t say anything specific about the support list?

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
You know what, I'm not the biggest Mario guy myself but a playable Goomba in a Smash Bros would be pretty funny and I would actually wouldn't mind seeing a Goomba on the CSS, feel free to add me to the support list.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
By the way, I’m pretty new to making these kinds of threads, do I put people on the support list who ask to be put on or do I also put in people who just say something along the lines “I want him in” but don’t say anything specific about the support list?
idk, but I'd like to be on the support list.

I'd actually like to play as a Goomba in Smash :p

SAMation

Smash Journeyman

Mario Party 4 had a Goomba with not only a hat, but a cape and a tie too! This’d be a really snazzy alt outfit for the little grumpy mushroom boy.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the nice support for this grumpy baby boy! There’s plenty of Goomba characters from classic Mario / Paper Mario games that people love, if Goomba could get one alternate character as a model swap who would you want and why? Personally, I’d love to have Goombario, I grew up more on the N64 Paper Mario game, and so I have more fond memories of him and the first Goomba village in that game! He also can show off more of a smile on his model more than Goomba, giving him a different fun personality compared to the standard grumpy Goomba!

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Thanks for all the nice support for this grumpy baby boy! There’s plenty of Goomba characters from classic Mario / Paper Mario games that people love, if Goomba could get one alternate character as a model swap who would you want and why? Personally, I’d love to have Goombario, I grew up more on the N64 Paper Mario game, and so I have more fond memories of him and the first Goomba village in that game! He also can show off more of a smile on his model more than Goomba, giving him a different fun personality compared to the standard grumpy Goomba!

Goombette for sure! :)

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Look, sorry if this comes off as rude, but...why?
Mostly because Goomba is a very famous minion in not only Mario, but gaming too! He’s so simplistic in design, yet has a rich history in a multitude of games with a huge number of variations that he could make a really fun to play moveset! Check the moveset spoiler I put in the first post and see how you feel about it! Also I just really like how goofy it’d be to have such an out-there representative from the Mario franchise

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
This would be the wtf character to end all wtf characters,and I love for that reason.

I support this gross idea

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
To be honest y’all, I was shocked there wasn’t a thread for this before. I think most people never even considered his potential as a fighter, stuck to be that one enemy you fight on smash run or adventure mode or w/e. Glad I could open some of your minds to the possibilities!

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
To be honest y’all, I was shocked there wasn’t a thread for this before. I think most people never even considered his potential as a fighter, stuck to be that one enemy you fight on smash run or adventure mode or w/e. Glad I could open some of your minds to the possibilities!
Yeah, thanks for making this thread. :)
It's actually a really good idea!

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
I’ve always wanted goomba to be in smash. I support!

You can’t forget about gold goomba from new Super Mario Bros 2

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I won’t lie I was going make one as a joke but I never actually thought of a moveset for him

Last edited:

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
I actually did consider this before but was too lazy to make a thread lol. I came up with a specials-only moveset a while ago. I'll make a full one later and post it here.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is so silly.

This is so, so, silly.

I love it.

It's just such a bizarre idea, but I love Goombas, I loved Goombario, Goombella, the Goombas you can possess in Odyssey, and jokes about Hat Goomba make me laugh. More playable Goombas in Mario spinoffs in general! We get Koopa Troopas, so why not this little guy! And I also support a Galoomba alt attire!

Honestly, sometimes we as Smash fans need to step back and just have more of a sense of humor about things. I'd love to learn how to use what is essentially a silly joke character, albeit an iconic one. Let's go.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
Here's my Goomba moveset.

Goomba moveset

Height: about Kirby's size
Weight: very light
Speed: very slow

Jab: kicks with right leg, then kicks with left leg
Side tilt: stretches it's leg and kicks further than in the jab
Up tilt: hops and headbutts upwards
Down tilt: kicks while crouching
Dash attacks: jumps and headbutts forwards

Side smash: jumps fowards and headbutts
Up smash: wears a spiked hat and jumps up
Down smash: grows a Tanooki tail and spins

Nair: grows a Tanooki tail and spins. This slows its descent for a bit, like Mario's Cape
Fair: kicks forwards
Bair: kicks backwards
Uair: flip kicks
Dair: headbutts downwards

Grab: grabs the oponnent with its mouth
Pummel: bites the oponnent
Forward throw: throws oponnent forwards
Back throw: throws the oponnent backwards
Up throw: throws the oponnent upwards
Down throw: throws the oponnent down and stomps them with Kuribo's Shoe

Neutral Special: shoots a spike from its mouth
Side Special: shoots a bunch of Microgoombas forwards. They attach to the oponnent and hit them for small amounts of damage like Olimar's Pikmin
Up Special: grows wings and flies for a short time
Down Special: like Bowser's and Yoshi's, but wearing Kuribo's Shoe

Final Smash: becomes an 8-bit Goomba and walks forwards for a while. If an oponnent touches it, the Super Mario Bros. death song plays and they instantly die

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Here's my Goomba moveset.

Goomba moveset

Height: about Kirby's size
Weight: very light
Speed: very slow

Jab: kicks with right leg, then kicks with left leg
Side tilt: stretches it's leg and kicks further than in the jab
Up tilt: hops and headbutts upwards
Down tilt: kicks while crouching
Dash attacks: jumps and headbutts forwards

Side smash: jumps fowards and headbutts
Up smash: wears a spiked hat and jumps up
Down smash: grows a Tanooki tail and spins

Nair: grows a Tanooki tail and spins. This slows its descent for a bit, like Mario's Cape
Fair: kicks forwards
Bair: kicks backwards
Uair: flip kicks
Dair: headbutts downwards

Grab: grabs the oponnent with its mouth
Pummel: bites the oponnent
Forward throw: throws oponnent forwards
Back throw: throws the oponnent backwards
Up throw: throws the oponnent upwards
Down throw: throws the oponnent down and stomps them with Kuribo's Shoe

Neutral Special: shoots a spike from its mouth
Side Special: shoots a bunch of Microgoombas forwards. They attach to the oponnent and hit them for small amounts of damage like Olimar's Pikmin
Up Special: grows wings and flies for a short time
Down Special: like Bowser's and Yoshi's, but wearing Kuribo's Shoe

Final Smash: becomes an 8-bit Goomba and walks forwards for a while. If an oponnent touches it, the Super Mario Bros. death song plays and they instantly die
Very cool moveset! Glad we both have a lot in common on some ideas for the moveset!

If I may ask, where did the neutral special idea of shooting a spike from the mouth come from? I’m interested about that. Also love the final smash idea, I think what would be an even cooler detail is that when it hits the opponent they turn 8 bit and fall down screen like in the original game. Maybe some characters can even have a different death animation, like Pac-Man could do his classic death animation and Mega Man could explode like in the original games.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I remember my first encounter with Goomba's peculiar nature. It was in Mario Superstar Baseball, where somehow, Goomba could levitate both a baseball bat and a glove. He also had the Ball Dash ability, which made him much faster than any other character, with sparkles emanating from his body as he ran. It was like being chased down by a cheetah.

Anyway, I support. We need more wacky characters!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I LOVE that final smash idea! I was on board with the minion stampede (Tron Bonne in MvC2 endeared me to that kind of special move forever) but the 8-bit idea is hilarious and classic. Huge fan.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
Very cool moveset! Glad we both have a lot in common on some ideas for the moveset!

If I may ask, where did the neutral special idea of shooting a spike from the mouth come from? I’m interested about that. Also love the final smash idea, I think what would be an even cooler detail is that when it hits the opponent they turn 8 bit and fall down screen like in the original game. Maybe some characters can even have a different death animation, like Pac-Man could do his classic death animation and Mega Man could explode like in the original games.
Goombas can spit spikes in Super Mario RPG. I didn't know about that but when searching for ideas I learned that and thought that would be perfect as a Neutral Special.

And I'm happy that you guys like my Final Smash idea. It was the main reason I made the moveset. I came up with it and wanted to share it but then I thought that I might as well come up with the rest of the moves.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Goombas can spit spikes in Super Mario RPG. I didn't know about that but when searching for ideas I learned that and thought that would be perfect as a Neutral Special.

And I'm happy that you guys like my Final Smash idea. It was the main reason I made the moveset. I came up with it and wanted to share it but then I thought that I might as well come up with the rest of the moves.
Ah that makes sense, it'd be even more fitting if Geno ends up getting in too. Overall, good moveset tho!

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
This is definitely random, but some part of me could see this as a possible ‘enemy rep’. Meaning he’d be the sole regular enemy on the roster, like how in some fighting games there is a generic mook playable in the main roster. So, for that reason, put me on that supporter list darn it!

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I forgot to ask to be added to the supporter list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom