• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

good secondary main for marth

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
So I've decided to pick up a secondary main but I just can't decide who...
I was thinking peach cause I like her but peach and marth both have similar bad matchups (jiggs, falcon)
I need someone who can handle jigglypuff and captain falcon better than marth.
I play the PAL version of the game
any suggestions?

btw is it still possible to add a poll to my thread after I made it?

Last edited:

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Falco really compliments Marth very well, plus you'd basically be low-level PPMD, what's more to ask?

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I find Jigglypuff to be a fun secondary because you don't need to use too much muscle memory to develop competency with her. Keep your L-Cancel, pivots, shield pressure tight with Marth, and just use Jiggly for people who aren't as familiar with the match-up.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Since when was Falcon bad for Marth? I thought it was even..

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Sheik, Fox, or Falco (at least on NTSC). I personally favor Falco

This is because the Marth-Falcon MU is pretty tough for Marth due to how hard Falcon hits. Falco, however, does an excellent job at shutting down Falcon, which gives a Marth main a really good chance against a tough Falcon.

I also prefer Falco because he can handle the Sheik MU pretty well, too. It's in no way in his favor, but it's probably going to be a lot easier for Falco than Marth due to how well Sheik can handle Marth.

On top of those, Falco has really similar fundamentals to Marth. As was suggested earlier, look at this thread for more info: http://smashboards.com/threads/good-secondaries.407221/

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
Sheik, Fox, or Falco (at least on NTSC). I personally favor Falco

This is because the Marth-Falcon MU is pretty tough for Marth due to how hard Falcon hits. Falco, however, does an excellent job at shutting down Falcon, which gives a Marth main a really good chance against a tough Falcon.

I also prefer Falco because he can handle the Sheik MU pretty well, too. It's in no way in his favor, but it's probably going to be a lot easier for Falco than Marth due to how well Sheik can handle Marth.

On top of those, Falco has really similar fundamentals to Marth. As was suggested earlier, look at this thread for more info: http://smashboards.com/threads/good-secondaries.407221/
I'm not really afraid af sheik because in PAL she can't chaingrab and this makes the marthcup a lot more even
but yea I'll work on my falco, slowly but surely

townes

Smash Apprentice
My secondary is red marth. I use him when blue marth's tec isn't on point, so I use Ken's power and conquer my enemies with B moves. But imo, you don't need a secondary.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Kens power? LMAO. Anyways, if you want a reason to have a secondary, look at PPMD. Best Marth in the world still couldn't handle Armadas Fox at Apex, so he learned more by using Falco before heading back to Marth.

"You know, I think this is really the pinnacle of the modern era (in Smash). People training up good secondaries to handle new or unknown threats." --Toph at Apex 2015

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Sticking with one character benefits you more in the long run, especially since Marth doesn't really have any bad MUs. By playing only one character you will improve much faster and you will learn more about your character and what is possible with your character.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
When people talk about secondaries, I assume their already pretty good with their main and need legit experience in order to get better.

Top Bottom