• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Secondary for Shiek?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Having played Sheik for quite a while now, I feel that it's time for me to pick up a secondary to compliment her and cover her bad MU's(which I realize are few and far between). I have a lot of experience with zoning/projectile-heavy characters, having mained Link in PM since 2.1, as well as Samus in 3.02, and starting with Link in Sm4sh before moving on to Sheik. I feel like a good secondary for Shiek would be a non-rushdown character who favors zoning, and actually has kill moves. During the long grind for customs, I feel like Samus might be good, and I've recently seen a Samus wreck stuff at my most recent local tourney. I've also enjoyed Falco a bit, however, I still wanted a second opinion on this because, well... why not?
Thanks!

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Falco, Link, Ness, Toon Link, and Robin all immediately come to mind. All have the ability to just kick back and spam for extra damage, but also have good options when being rushed down. Yoshi is another really good candidate, now that I think about it. :3

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
That's good to hear, since I have a bit of experience with Link, Toon Link, and Robin. My main problem is that I'm just indecisive.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
That's good to hear, since I have a bit of experience with Link, Toon Link, and Robin. My main problem is that I'm just indecisive.
I went through this for a while too. I love Ness, but I just couldn't decide a solid secondary. What I did is I just used all of the characters that I was willing to main a lot, and narrow it down to one over time, then, after a bit of playing said character, revisiting the others and seeing if anything has changed. This worked as I wasn't great at Falcon before, but now I absolutely love playing him.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I usually decide on characters to pick up based off of how well I do/how much fun I have with them in single player modes like Classic, All-Star, and especially Trophy Rush. I feel like Trophy rush actually requires you to use variety with the character you're using, which forces you to learn the character better than spamming a single kill move in Classic/All-Star.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I've adopted Marth as a secondary... but I did that without really thinking about Sheik's bad match ups or anything, I just liked Marth lol.

I sound so casual damn.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I've adopted Marth as a secondary... but I did that without really thinking about Sheik's bad match ups or anything, I just liked Marth lol.

I sound so casual damn.
Actually Marth/Lucina is pretty good at helping out Sheik, since Sheik can suffer a bit from fast + strong characters like Falcon, Marth can put him in check by out ranging him and easily getting more damage off with each tipper.

Also, even in competitive, there is no "standard" of selecting a secondary/tertiary. It's up to you. If you have fun with Marth + Sheik and haven't run into issues? I don't see why anyone would have the right to challenge that.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Actually Marth/Lucina is pretty good at helping out Sheik, since Sheik can suffer a bit from fast + strong characters like Falcon, Marth can put him in check by out ranging him and easily getting more damage off with each tipper.

Also, even in competitive, there is no "standard" of selecting a secondary/tertiary. It's up to you. If you have fun with Marth + Sheik and haven't run into issues? I don't see why anyone would have the right to challenge that.
Yeah I really don't care in the end lol, Sheik is the character I enjoy most in the game but I also enjoy Marth quite a bit so yeah.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Shiek has a bad MU? I guess Lucario, but I'm pretty sure she goes at worst, 50-50 vs the rest of the cast

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Shiek has a bad MU? I guess Lucario, but I'm pretty sure she goes at worst, 50-50 vs the rest of the cast
Diddy, Lucario, and sometimes overly-heavy characters (DDD, Bowser) can be annoying sometimes.

I've also been having trouble with Yoshi personally.

Point is, it definitely has bad matchups lol.

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Diddy, Lucario, and sometimes overly-heavy characters (DDD, Bowser) can be annoying sometimes.

I've also been having trouble with Yoshi personally.

Point is, it definitely has bad matchups lol.
I've only ever fought one Bowser, and he destroyed me. I had no idea how to handle it, even though I feel like Sheik can do well against Bowser.

vypex

Smash Cadet
Yoshi is my current secondary, thinking of switching to luigi or diddy, torn on what to do

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Yoshi is my current secondary, thinking of switching to luigi or diddy, torn on what to do
Personally I say you shouldn't 2nd Diddy kong because of how dumb he is and also because he doesn't really cover up any match up especially better then Sheik.... That and I rather not lose another Sheik to our monkey overlord.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I've only ever fought one Bowser, and he destroyed me. I had no idea how to handle it, even though I feel like Sheik can do well against Bowser.
You would think that, but it's actually the opposite. Heavy characters can be an extreme pain in the ass because they're extra harder to kill, and they kill you with rage from like ~60% lol

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Check out your win/loss rate with character that you play often. Gives me insight as to how good in general I am with a character, and lets me not focus fully on who I 'enjoy' the most which can be hard to figure out.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Since you play Link. Toon Link shouldn't be a difficult pick up. Toon link is quicker and imo better than link (besides customs) when it comes to covering Sheik's bad MUs or MUs im not comfortable with.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
I enjoy Falcon as a secondary simply because it's such a different play style - he trades Sheik's ability to control stage space perfectly for a more linear approach and big chunks of damage at a time with super low percent KO potential.

NSunderdog

Smash Rookie
thank god ness is mine i was not sure if he was a good option at first ty for the thred

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I feel like the main problem Sheik players have with Bowser is that, yeah, you can camp with needles, but when you need to get in against a defensive Bowser to rack up damage, let alone kill, Bowser has that superior boxing game and upB out of shield that can be really be hard to beat. That, and Sheik trades unfavorably, if not flat gets beaten out, by a lot of surprisingly fast moves Bowser can toss out (like fair) if she decides to throw in a fair or bair. Once you get momentum going though with juggles and combos, Bowser has a reeeeeally rough time resetting back to neutral.

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I feel like the main problem Sheik players have with Bowser is that, yeah, you can camp with needles, but when you need to get in against a defensive Bowser to rack up damage, let alone kill, Bowser has that superior boxing game and upB out of shield that can be really be hard to beat. That, and Sheik trades unfavorably, if not flat gets beaten out, by a lot of surprisingly fast moves Bowser can toss out (like fair) if she decides to throw in a fair or bair. Once you get momentum going though with juggles and combos, Bowser has a reeeeeally rough time resetting back to neutral.
Sheik is so fast that she can punish literally anything Bowser does.
You shouldn't be trading. You are fast enough to bait ANYTHING out. Up B is predictable and still punishable.
I think Bowser has it WAY worse than Sheik in this instance...

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Yeah, Sheik has a huge advantage over almost all heavies, Bowser is no exception. He's literally combo food, has no projectile, and not difficult to gimp like say, DDD.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
During the long grind for customs, I feel like Samus might be good, and I've recently seen a Samus wreck stuff at my most recent local tourney. I've also enjoyed Falco a bit, however, I still wanted a second opinion on this because, well... why not?
I personally feel Shiek/Samus compliment each other well, as Shiek epitomizes the lightweight combo heavy character and Samus is the heavyweight combo heavy character in smash 4.

Shameless plug of some of the advanced things you can do with Samus that few people really know about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_pauGLVAKg
and another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaPveD9XHFA

Last edited:

BlastHappyNinja

Smash Apprentice
I actually second Samus myself, let me tell you, having that kill power back feels SOOO good! She's solid in doubles as well, especially if you have a partner who's a rush-down character (often in my case, my partner uses Mario) Charge shots out of nowhere for days. She definitely feels different from Sheik in some ways; your combos are of course gone and you don't like it when characters get in your face. From my experience, I'd say she's a good choice if you want a patient, campy character. Plus she's a fatty, so not being ko'd right away like you usually are with Sheik is rather nice.

Jlp

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keaton Benny
I've been enjoying getting better with Sheik so much lately I kind of dropped my secondary (Diddy). Every time I play I want to try out new tech and it's so satisfying when you string together a 40%+ combo. For a while I played both Sheik and Diddy equally but eventually I realised that Sheik was way more fun to play! So, because I am so focused on becoming better with Sheik I want to use her in every match up.

...Is this a bad idea?

I now use Diddy to ditto other Diddy players (It seems to work).And as far as a good secondary to Sheik goes, personally I like Pikachu however I really only play him for fun/friendlies so IDK how well he stands up against characters Sheik often struggles with but he is very easy to pick up if you main Sheik. He has great combo potential, he's pretty quick and has plenty kill moves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom