• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Secondaries for a Robin main?

Creeper3971

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshiguy3971
I'm really having trouble on finding a character who covers Robin's weakness well, namely character with a projectile game, rushdown characters, or characters with a good reflector. I've been using Yoshi as my secondary for now, but I want to hear some more opinions on who a nice secondary could be, or even a Robin main's secondary and how nice it works for them. Thnx in advance for the replies :)

Last edited:

Tectrix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tectrix
I recently picked up Ness for the same reasons, and he doesn't cover all of Robin's weak match-ups too well, but he certainly does better with them, and he's still got a fair amount of the things I love about Robin.

Last edited:

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
I use Pikachu to counter if fast characters are picked and Falco for projectile characters(and somewhat fast character) or someone who can pocket my tomes like Villagers.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
I recently picked up Ness for the same reasons, and he doesn't cover all of Robin's weak match-ups too well, but he certainly does better with them, and he's still got a fair amount of the things I love about Robin.
Fixed.

I would recommend Ness to be honest. He's almost like a fsater Robin, with better kill potential in general.

I personally share my main status with Link and Robin though. Thing is, they're both slower characters who sort of revolve around the idea of maintaining a wall so you really need to know how to play rushdown characters if you do o.o

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
*Obligatory comment about Lucina because I ship it*

What? Someone has to.

Creeper3971

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshiguy3971
I use Pikachu to counter if fast characters are picked and Falco for projectile characters(and somewhat fast character) or someone who can pocket my tomes like Villagers.
I was thinking of using Falco as well to counter projectile users. Especially Spamus =/

As for rushdown characters, I'm thinking of someone like ZSS, but I'll have to put in tons of effort to learn her. Sonic would be nice for me too. Keep the feedback coming guys!

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I was thinking of using Falco as well to counter projectile users. Especially Spamus =/

As for rushdown characters, I'm thinking of someone like ZSS, but I'll have to put in tons of effort to learn her. Sonic would be nice for me too. Keep the feedback coming guys!
Falco helps vs heavy projectile characters and I made a Villager in my area so salt he was forced to pick up Shiek to beat my Falco. I play both Falco, Robin, Marcina and Bowser and it's interesting but Falco also loses to the top tiers along with all my other mains.

Easy answer I would say Shiek.

K Money

Smash Rookie
I recently picked up Wario to handle Sonic, but I haven't gotten much chance to test him against other Robin-killers like ZSS yet. Thoughts on him? So far I'm enjoying him as a secondary though.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I would recommend Ness to be honest. He's almost like a fsater Robin, with better kill potential in general.

I personally share my main status with Link and Robin though. Thing is, they're both slower characters who sort of revolve around the idea of maintaining a wall so you really need to know how to play rushdown characters if you do o.o
This is me all over; we have much in common you and I :awesome:

Honestly, @ Creeper3971 Creeper3971 you can find someone else to cover Robins weaknesses if you think someone is going to counterpick, but ALL characters have some sort of weakness. It's going to get to the point where you'll be asking which character you should use to cover the weaknesses of the character your using to cover Robin's weakness :reverse:

Just pick who ever else you're most comfortable with besides Robin, the characters that reflect your playstyle the most and learn their matchups. In time, you will learn to negate these weaknesses in certain situtions, and even learn to use your own opponents overconfindence against them where they think you are weak! >:D

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
LOL Eventhubs. Never trust their tier list unless it's on a Capcom game at best

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I main Fox with Robin as my second. I think the two go together pretty well as Robin is a slow zoning character and Fox is a fast rush-down character. The styles are almost opposite, so if an opponent gets used to one style too quickly, I can switch to the other and usually win pretty handily.

Creeper3971

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshiguy3971
I main Fox with Robin as my second. I think the two go together pretty well as Robin is a slow zoning character and Fox is a fast rush-down character. The styles are almost opposite, so if an opponent gets used to one style too quickly, I can switch to the other and usually win pretty handily.
I really like the idea of Fox as a secondary. I enjoy playing as him, he does well against some of our bad MUs, and I also like the concept of "Switching to a different playstyle with another character" so that your opponent may find it hard to adapt to your new playstyle and will probably lose if they don't adapt to it at all.

This is me all over; we have much in common you and I :awesome:

Honestly, @ Creeper3971 Creeper3971 you can find someone else to cover Robins weaknesses if you think someone is going to counterpick, but ALL characters have some sort of weakness. It's going to get to the point where you'll be asking which character you should use to cover the weaknesses of the character your using to cover Robin's weakness :reverse:

Just pick who ever else you're most comfortable with besides Robin, the characters that reflect your playstyle the most and learn their matchups. In time, you will learn to negate these weaknesses in certain situtions, and even learn to use your own opponents overconfindence against them where they think you are weak! >:D
I see what you mean, but I'm not typically comfortable with any other characters as I am with Robin which is why I want to learn a new character who will be as comfortable as I am with Robin. I'm also just one of those people who picks secondaries based on matchups since I don't typicallly have a favorite character besides Robin in this game, and that's who I'll always be :) Also, I don't really cater to a specific playstyle, I like all of them. I just want a little more diversity in my playstyle to spice things up :)

I know it's been a while since I've replied, but keep the comments coming guys! Interesting to hear your opinions!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm looking to secondary Robin and my main is Bowser. Don't ask why. I'm as confused as you.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I'm looking to secondary Robin and my main is Bowser. Don't ask why. I'm as confused as you.
LMAO The magic compels you man also I picked up Bowser as another one of my secondaries a while ago and I play Falco, Robin and Marcina and it works wonders to have a fatty on your secondaries list.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think what drew me to Robin is that their tomes are powerful but limited in use. I generally play a patient playstyle so this lets me read the opponent for a while and plan a strategy.

How appropriate.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
My mains are Robin, Bowser, and Sonic (Pay no attention to my sig ill change it eventually :p). For a relatively new competitive player i can say this group has had alot more success than anything else ive tried. Before i started maining these guys i had a 42% win rate in for glory matches. I played most of yesterday and LOST TWICE in all. I'm lovin' it lmao.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Batman. I mean, uh....Falcon because he's a fast rushdown character and has a lot of good matchups. I don't main him to cover Robin's weaknesses though, I just happen to main him because he's one of my favorites and has been since melee but he just so happens to be a good fit for a main alongside Robin.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I really like the idea of Fox as a secondary. I enjoy playing as him, he does well against some of our bad MUs, and I also like the concept of "Switching to a different playstyle with another character" so that your opponent may find it hard to adapt to your new playstyle and will probably lose if they don't adapt to it at all.

I see what you mean, but I'm not typically comfortable with any other characters as I am with Robin which is why I want to learn a new character who will be as comfortable as I am with Robin. I'm also just one of those people who picks secondaries based on matchups since I don't typicallly have a favorite character besides Robin in this game, and that's who I'll always be :) Also, I don't really cater to a specific playstyle, I like all of them. I just want a little more diversity in my playstyle to spice things up :)

I know it's been a while since I've replied, but keep the comments coming guys! Interesting to hear your opinions!
Late replies are fine for me, I'm not on here everyday anyways.

So you say you like all play styles? Then just pick a rush down character like Sheik, Greninja, Fox, or Pikachu. Robin is a bit campy, and after one or two matches against the same opponent with them getting used to your fav Robin, a Sheik or Pikachu will really throw your opponent off their game. Maybe...

Ikemoto

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-3226-3145
*Obligatory comment about Lucina because I ship it*

What? Someone has to.
I have a problem with this because it's possible for Lucina to be Robin's child in the game. =P

edit with relevant information: currently I'm not that great but I play Peach and Rosalina as well, though Robin is definitely my main. I haven't quite decided on who to pick up as a solid secondary, but I'm considering learning more Rosalina or picking up Ness. Also Lucina, but mostly just because I think she's awesome and I feel like her speed on the ground helps her a lot in some of the matchups I personally struggle with as Robin.

Last edited:

Sidhe Sí

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfiniteAlchemy
3DS FC
3926-5917-6773
I've had a lot of sucess with Shulk, to be honest. His main strength with Robin comes from his ability to rush down on campy projectile users who can destroy slow ass Robin from afar and has an easier time winning against chars who like to stall or force SD (Villager) or can completely dismatle Robins projectiles and spacing options.

Super Smash Fanatic

Smash Cadet
NNID
jacg31
3DS FC
0705-3237-7336
This is the reverse but I main Shulk with Robin as a very close secondary to the point where I can interchange them and have just as much as a chance to win. I feel like Shulk is good when I need the aggresive play style and Robin for my hard ass defense

Scarf Wynaut

Smash Cadet
I've tried to pick up Mii Brawler because supposedly he has solid matchups vs sheik, diddy, pikachu etc (Essentially the rushdown top tiers that destroy Robin), haven't gotten that good with the guy yet though. His rushdown game may be a bit poorer in comparison to the other top tiers but he makes up for it in insanely strong KO moves that the others lack (Namely in Helicopter Kick and the Ultimate Uppercut).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, I used Robin as a secondary to Ness...

But in my logic, Robin is complimented by balanced characters... With whom the basics of gameplay with resonate strongly.

Mario, Ness, perhaps Kirby and Yoshi...

Whoever feels comfortable.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
You need to pick someone who can go toe-to-toe with Sheik. Sheik eats Robin for breakfast. I've heard that Pikachu has an even matchup against Sheik, so you could try him. Or you could pick up Sheik yourself.

I'm not sure how accurate this site is but it gives you an idea where to start.

http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/

I picked yoshi and sonic.
Jesus Christ, I think that "tier list" just gave me cancer.

Last edited:

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
I usually alternate between Mewtwo and Robin, based on my opponent's play style.

(Maybe it's just my style of play though...)

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
You need to pick someone who can go toe-to-toe with Sheik. Sheik eats Robin for breakfast. I've heard that Pikachu has an even matchup against Sheik, so you could try him. Or you could pick up Sheik yourself.

Jesus Christ, I think that "tier list" just gave me cancer.
Heavens, I hope no one takes that "tier list" seriously. But it does give a good "idea" of what people think, and somewhere to start looking for information on matchups, something woefully lacking. If anyone has any other resources for matchup ratios, etc, it would definitely be helpful for this thread.

The Yoshi is going well, definitely helps against some of Robin's worse matchups. Dropped Sonic for the time being, trying to pick a tertiary that would cover the holes left by Yoshi...those holes being maybe Sheik, maybe Villager...it's hard to say at the moment. Once more matchup information is available this will be a much easier process.

XL_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-5463-6168
Picking up a character who is generally good at everything is probably wise, since you don't want to trap yourself into playing heavy space control characters and then get destroyed by characters who can just rush you down. With that in mind, I've been working on ZSS and Roy and have been having much better results against characters that would give my Robin a hard time like C. Falcon, Sheik, and Fox.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
When Robin was my main main, I had a lot of success using Shulk as my alternate. In recent times, however, I tend to choose Shulk or Greninja for my main, and Robin has turned into a specific counter to a few characters. Not sure why, I have the easiest time with Marth/Lucina, Shulk, Greninja, and even Fox when playing as Robin. But rushdown/chip-damage characters are hard for me to Robin against, so I generally fight speed with speed and become one with the ninja.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Ryu has been an excellent secondary for me. In some ways, he's similar to Robin in that he uses projectiles to keep the opponent at bay, and when you get the opponent to approach you, you can punish them. To be honest, I did NOT think I'd like Ryu this much. In many way's, he's helped me become even better at using Robin.

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
Picking up a character who is generally good at everything is probably wise, since you don't want to trap yourself into playing heavy space control characters and then get destroyed by characters who can just rush you down. With that in mind, I've been working on ZSS and Roy and have been having much better results against characters that would give my Robin a hard time like C. Falcon, Sheik, and Fox.
Yeah, Robin has such a weakness to quick rush-down centered characters because of her bad mobility. Her spacing options mainly revolve around Thunder variants, Arcfire, and Nair/Fair, which aren't fast enough to avoid being punished by the likes of Sonic, ZSS and Sheik. To make it worse, she lacks a good combo-stopper move to get out of bad situations.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I really like putting Villager in whenever Robin's in an unfavorable MU. Little things like SH slingshots and Nair OoS can really help stop approaches and just get the opponent away from you.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yoshi is a really good character that makes up for some of Robin's weaknesses, like his mobility for instance. So far, I've been practicing with the two of them in order to get the hang of their completely different playstyles, and while things are still going rough for me, I feel like I've been getting better to understanding how to use them.

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
i use Marth/Lucina/Roy as secondary and sometimes Dark Pit, Marth/Lucina/Roy are good because they counter and their speed attack are good (Roy's speed are the limit for meXD) and Dark Pit is good agains Gunners and have pretty good range

Top Bottom