• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good sec for Luigi main

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hi all, well first sorry for my english i am french, and second i would like to know how to know if my main and my secondary complement well each other and cover their bad matchup ? Is there a chart anywhere where i can see it? Or some general way to know it ?

Right now i am using Sonic in fight because he feel really natural to me and that i am able to do most of is combo or is advance technique but i am training with luigi (secondary) because i love playing it with is goofy style and that he is versatile and i would like to eventually main him instead of Sonic. But I would like to know if they are a good mix and that they cover each other bad matchup ?

Thanks a lot i hope it can help other smasher too.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
I've been trying to learn Olimar, and he covers Luigi's match-ups pretty well. Luigi excels in CQC, but suffers against those with good projectiles/good zoning tools (think Rosalina, Yoshi, Villager, Megaman, Duck Hunt, etc). I think of Luigi as anti-meta for CQC (holding his own against the likes of Diddy and Sheik quite well), and I think of Olimar as anti-meta for camping. No one can camp better than Olimar can, and so he forces people who rely on projectiles a lot to approach. The Pikmin also hinder those projectiles a lot as well, either slowing down their use greatly or outright gimping them. Olimar is no slouch in terms of kill power, either. His f-smash is incredible, and his new recovery lets him gimp off-stage with b-air/d-air, and still make it back on stage easily.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I've actually be on the hunt for the perfect secondary for Luigi. From my experience, I think Luigi is disadvantaged against Villager, Duck Hunt, Pac-Man, and Mega Man. Yoshi and Sonic can be frustrating on Final Destination, but on smaller stages with platforms around they are a bit more manageable. I suspect that Pikachu and Mii Gunner might give Luigi some trouble but I don't have the match up experience to back that up. The Greninja boards concluded that Luigi is disadvantaged against the frog, though personally I'm not sure I agree with their analysis.

So who can cover these monsters? My favourite potential secondaries are Mario, Fox, and Wario. Mario either has an advantage or goes even with against Villager, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Pikachu and Greninja. Plus, you know, style points for using both plumbers. Against Duck Hunt, someone from the Mario boards said Duck Hunt has the advantage, but I'm not sure how or why. Yoshi and Sonic also seem to have an advantage against Mario, too.

Fox has stronger advantages against most of the characters, but loses to Pikachu (and I would think Yoshi, but I'm not totally sure). I'm not too sure about Wario's match ups, but he seems to do well against most of the mentioned characters. If Wario had more Wario Land in his moveset, I'd probably go with him in all honesty, but Sakurai decided to break my heart instead.

I also gave Meta Knight a shot. He's stupidly fun to play, but not exactly my style. He does seem to do well in a lot of those match ups, however.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I picked up Yoshi as a secondary and he usually covers most match-ups that I don't like. I'm waiting it out and hoping that Mewtwo will be at least half decent because I think he would be a fun secondary hahaha.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
So basically sonic and luigi have the same flaw and bad match up. To cover it up i would need a zoning character but god i hate playing zoning character i find that throwing a lot of object get boring. -.-

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Funny enough, I always mained the plumbers in Smash. Back in Melee, I had my italian trio, with :mariomelee:, :drmario: and :luigimelee:. Since Smash 4 brought them all back, I guess Mario can be a good secondary for Luigi. Mario has pretty good matchups, and the only really struggle he got are with Greninja. Other than that, his matchups are either 50:50 or near.
I would recommend Doc, but only if you have the guts to actually learn him. He's one hard character to main well.

Other than that, well...maybe :4fox: can do the trick. He cover Luigi's weaknesses pretty well and is pretty much his opposite. And having Fox in the back is always good.

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
I full time duo main Alph and Luigi. Over the course of this game I've come to find that Luigi has many losing match up's that are near unavoidable, to compensate for that i found a character with mostly even - preferable match ups vs the rest of the cast and that ended up being Alph. The reason i chose Alph was due to Luigi losing to just about anyone that can either lame him out or control space much better then he can through either long range moves (projectile or non) or being able to apply heavy shield knock back on our non-tractionie selfs. Alph can deal with all these types of opponents and can also give me a huge advantage by switching after a round one victory with Luigi. The most important thing is though that you find someone who suits you and your play style but for the sake of results the best characters i can suggest to you are as follows; Alph/Olimar, C. Falcon, Zero Suit, Shiek, Rosalina, Ness and Wario. These characters represent what I feel are the best to counter balance Luigi's weakness's.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
Oli Oli go go! :D His playstyle is polar opposite of Luigi, but that's what makes him a good secondary. Your opponent won't have time to adjust. Go Luigi against those who don't have good projectiles/zoning, and go Olimar against those who do. What's even better is that people seem to underestimate Oli, or are completely unfamiliar with him entirely. He's one of the least played characters as of now, but I think in time he'll rise up a fair bit.

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Is Oli that good of a second? Because I've heard he's very campy and idk, I'm not the biggest fan of super campy characters.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Same here haha but ZSS interest me a lot i might try to learn her instead of sonic !

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Is Oli that good of a second? Because I've heard he's very campy and idk, I'm not the biggest fan of super campy characters.
I agree, I can't stand campy ones [I'm up close and persona, like Luigi]. Odd since my secondary is ROB...but he can also do damage up close with his d throw to up air, and aerials cover a lot of space. And a super easy dair spike to land. I feel he handles matchup I don't really like as Luigi, like Rosalina, Toon Link. Still haven't found someone for Villager yet though since he pockets Gyro and keeps it, a crucial tool. I may use Fox for him.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I agree, I can't stand campy ones [I'm up close and persona, like Luigi]. Odd since my secondary is ROB...but he can also do damage up close with his d throw to up air, and aerials cover a lot of space. And a super easy dair spike to land. I feel he handles matchup I don't really like as Luigi, like Rosalina, Toon Link. Still haven't found someone for Villager yet though since he pockets Gyro and keeps it, a crucial tool. I may use Fox for him.
I really hope you meant to say "close and persona" because that made me laugh a bit haha.
Also, I usually don't have trouble with villagers as Luigi until they figure out how to cover my low recovery options, so I'm pretty much in the same boat. I was playing my buddy online last night and he set up a tree a little ways back, chopped it once, and then just dropped bowling balls every time I tried to fly low. So frustrating.

I'm thinking Pikachu might be a decent option though?

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
I really hope you meant to say "close and persona" because that made me laugh a bit haha.
Also, I usually don't have trouble with villagers as Luigi until they figure out how to cover my low recovery options, so I'm pretty much in the same boat. I was playing my buddy online last night and he set up a tree a little ways back, chopped it once, and then just dropped bowling balls every time I tried to fly low. So frustrating.

I'm thinking Pikachu might be a decent option though?
Alph is a great pick vs Villager honestly, Pikmin blow up lloyd rockets and also fly right past the tree as if it weren't there.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Alph is a great pick vs Villager honestly, Pikmin blow up lloyd rockets and also fly right past the tree as if it weren't there.
Ahhhhhhhh, theres the thing about campy characters and how much I hate them, though. I'd have to develop an effective non-campy play style for him.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
To those who are saying they don't like campy characters: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :laugh:

In all seriousness, it's only logical to me. Use the character that's best for CQC, and use the character that's best for zoning/camping. It covers all match-ups. If you can tell me a single character that can beat both Luigi and Olimar, I'll eat my words.

Last edited:

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
To those who are saying they don't like campy characters: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :laugh:

In all seriousness, it's only logical to me. Use the character that's best for CQC, and use the character that's best for zoning/camping. It covers all match-ups. If you can tell me a single character that can beat both Luigi and Olimar, I'll eat my words.
Well there is one match up that's bad for both of them and that's stupid ol' Rob. He bops both characters so I have a pocket ZSS since my area has to many rob players

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
Is ROB fast enough to catch up to Olimar/keep the pressure on him to prevent him from camping? I would imagine getting grabbed into up-air would be a problem, but Olimar's air game is good enough to keep him off the ground if ROB gets close. Not to mention his gyro gets gimped by any Pikmin, too. I think it's a fairly even match-up, IMO. Yeah ROB has great range, but so does Oli. Unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I use ROB and Link along with Luigi. ROB has problems with speedsters like Fox and Falcon, but Link's attacks are strong enough to give some breathing space. I'm not sure if he covers the match-ups well, however.

:231:

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
Is ROB fast enough to catch up to Olimar/keep the pressure on him to prevent him from camping? I would imagine getting grabbed into up-air would be a problem, but Olimar's air game is good enough to keep him off the ground if ROB gets close. Not to mention his gyro gets gimped by any Pikmin, too. I think it's a fairly even match-up, IMO. Yeah ROB has great range, but so does Oli. Unless I'm missing something.
The issue with the Rob match for Oli is that the gyro and laser eat up an and all pikmin. if the gyro is just sitting on the ground you cannot throw pikmin past it. if you jump to throw over it the laser hits you. close up you also lose due to you laggy moves and robs ability to kill ur pikmin often

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
Eh, I guess I'll have to eat my words then. Still, covering the majority of the cast with 2 characters is pretty good. It also helps that people tend to underestimate Weegee and Oli. :D

Last edited:

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
In my area it's super beneficial to be playing those 2, I'm literally the only Oli player in Phoenix and one of 2 luigi's. The only people who really know the match ups are my 2 training partners.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking what about Megaman ? He is a projectile based character would he cover the bad match up of luigi ?

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I was thinking what about Megaman ? He is a projectile based character would he cover the bad match up of luigi ?
Possibly? He is a pretty decent mix of getting up close/being campy. He's also fairly heavy whereas Luigi is floaty. Then there's the fact that his lemons stop approaches. The only problem I could see would be a rosa or a really short hoppy shiek

Which are actually two of Weegi's bad matchups IMO haha. However I think MM would do better than Weegi would against them, possibly.

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Possibly? He is a pretty decent mix of getting up close/being campy. He's also fairly heavy whereas Luigi is floaty. Then there's the fact that his lemons stop approaches. The only problem I could see would be a rosa or a really short hoppy shiek

Which are actually two of Weegi's bad matchups IMO haha. However I think MM would do better than Weegi would against them, possibly.
Rosalina and luma seems like a bad MU for all character xD. But i don't find that shiek is a bad MU for luigi or at least 50:50. I might be wrong though i don't have that much experience.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Rosalina and luma seems like a bad MU for all character xD. But i don't find that shiek is a bad MU for luigi or at least 50:50. I might be wrong though i don't have that much experience.
I absolutely hate the Shiek match-up. It is probably one of my least favorite things and it's made me consider picking up a fast character

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I absolutely hate the Shiek match-up. It is probably one of my least favorite things and it's made me consider picking up a fast character
So basically who are the bad MU for sheik and rosalina XD ??

BlackPhantom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-9082-0822
Shiek is prob lucario and a 50-50 with diddy, but as a sonic main, once i get in a do decent and rosa is sonic or cf

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Let's try to keep matchup discussion in the matchup thread.

But yeah, I feel ROB covers most of my bad matchups. I did pretty good with him in a tourney the other day against a custom Lucina with cresant slash [Lucina becomes waaay more difficult with that move for Luigi to approach] His lasers and gyro wreck her up.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I would like to discuss on if Wario cover luigi bad MU ? After trying all the other mentions in the post i have to say only megaman and wario make me having fun while playing as much, well a bit less, but almost as much fun as luigi. I know shiek, diddy and villager are hard MU for wario.

Wich one would be the best sec to luigi between Wario and megaman ?

Thanks

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
Bro, you are me, I too am a Luigi main with ROB as secondary that's crazy!

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Mario is working great for me due to his similarities with Luigi, I got used to him quickly. He also does well with the Sonic matchup, since I don't like facing against Sonic with Luigi.

Top Bottom