• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good match-ups for Lucas?

kRaZiEGAMER

Smash Rookie
NNID
kRaZiEGAMER
Heyyyy guys.
Just started maining Lucas and was just wondering what characters Lucas does well against! I'm not too sure lol

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Heyyyy guys.
Just started maining Lucas and was just wondering what characters Lucas does well against! I'm not too sure lol
I think we can safely expect a lot of Ness's strongest matchups translate to Lucas pretty well: (Mewtwo, Samus, Palutena, Ganondorf, Dedede, Robin, Marth/Lucina, Falco, etc)

And I think we lose to much of the same characters (Sonic, Mario, Shiek, Diddy)

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Heyyyy guys.

Out of Top Tiers from experience, this is who we do well against(Even or in our advantage)
Rosalina and Luma, Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Yoshi, Ness, Fox

We do bad vs:
Captain Falcon, ZSS, Sheik(45:55 tho imo), Diddy Kong

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Out of Top Tiers from experience, this is who we do well against(Even or in our advantage)

We do bad vs:
I wouldn't say we go even with Mario and Rosa.
Arguably we go even with Ness and Luigi.

Fox wins flawless victory. That's not a good matchup.

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
I wouldn't say we go even with Mario and Rosa.
Arguably we go even with Ness and Luigi.

Fox wins flawless victory. That's not a good matchup.

I play really good Marios and Rosalinas all the time and we both agree its even.

The Fox MU,we need to get him offstage the whole match. We wreck him the hardest out of any character offstage because of our lingering hitboxes. And when he has to use Fire Fox, game over just like any spiker. Down Smash catches Illusion, he can be comboed, cant challenge offstage. We do, however, lose if he gets in. It is quite hard.

Also, Ness's MUs relate nothing to Lucas. They play completely different in many ways possible.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I play really good Marios and Rosalinas all the time and we both agree its even.

The Fox MU,we need to get him offstage the whole match. We wreck him the hardest out of any character offstage because of our lingering hitboxes. And when he has to use Fire Fox, game over just like any spiker. Down Smash catches Illusion, he can be comboed, cant challenge offstage. We do, however, lose if he gets in. It is quite hard.

Also, Ness's MUs relate nothing to Lucas. They play completely different in many ways possible.
We lose to Rosalina in all stages of the game and mario can destroy our recoveries with cape.
Also, we lack a combo breaker so punishes are pretty hefty.

Fox can rushdown Lucas and we don't even win with PK fire; he's too fast for it.

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Elaborate on all stages. We really dont lol.

We lose to Rosalina in all stages of the game and mario can destroy our recoveries with cape.

Fox can rushdown Lucas and we don't even win with PK fire; he's too fast for it.

Um how does Rosa win on all stages? I dont see it. I never been down b gimped by Rosa once I took Lucas seriously.

Dont get caped. If you somehow get caped, that is your fault lol. Only once I have gotten caped and that was because i was recovering horizontally.

You are obviously not using PK Fire correctly.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
We thought MK won the Fox matchup in theory for the same reasons as you outlined, but it turns out it's probably even or possibly slightly in Fox's favour. He is super fast and his rushdown style in the hands of a good player is difficult to deal with for most characters, even ones with decent walling capabilities like Lucas. Also, his recovery may seem very exploitable in theory it's not so easy in practice. Given that Lucas has a worse disadvantage state than MK, I would predict it to be in Fox's favour at least slightly.

EDIT: Also I would add that Lucas has a pretty good matchup vs. Ryu, and a slightly bad one vs. MK.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Um how does Rosa win on all stages? I dont see it. I never been down b gimped by Rosa once I took Lucas seriously.

Dont get caped. If you somehow get caped, that is your fault lol. Only once I have gotten caped and that was because i was recovering horizontally.

You are obviously not using PK Fire correctly.
Fox is one of the few characters that can actually punish PK fire, even when properly spaced.
He's just so fast, and even if we do combo him till the cows come home, we can't really deal with evasive rage foxes.

You're overrating Lucas. He can't deal with rushdown characters and he especially cannot deal with characters like Fox that thrive off his floatiness and high ending lag.

It isn't a good matchup, i'd say it's just barely even.

K3H

Smash Cadet

We do bad vs:
How do we not lose to Sonic?

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
How do we not lose to Sonic?
I don't know whether we lose the match-up or not, but SH nair gets him out of his spin dashes and his fairly light weight means he dies to down throw up air at fairly early percentages (good luck getting the grab, though). PK Fire doesn't really work for stage control here because he can always just jump over it or go right under it, then punish your cooldown. Zair is better than PK Fire for zoning in this match-up because it's got significantly less start-up and cooldown and allows you to stay mobile, not to mention the follow-ups available if you hit up-close.

Sonic is almost always forced to recover low off-stage, so if you don't feel confident timing a down smash you can go for a tether trump. If he goes high for a mix-up and doesn't have his double jump that's a free up smash. You can use PK Thunder to force him to use his double jump, but missing probably means you'll drop your edge-guard, due to the long cooldown on PK Thunder. Drop-zone bair is good to stuff his low recovery, too, since it'll spike no matter what hitbox it connects with (the sour spot will get you a stage spike if Sonic doesn't tech). Don't forget about PK Freeze. The threat of getting hit almost always forces an opponent to choose a low or high recovery and the low endlag makes it a fairly low-commitment option.

Sonic can drop that spring as much as he wants to mess with Lucas's recovery, but it won't ever kill if you're smart, so that's kind of a non-issue.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I don't know whether we lose the match-up or not, but SH nair gets him out of his spin dashes and his fairly light weight means he dies to down throw up air at fairly early percentages (good luck getting the grab, though). PK Fire doesn't really work for stage control here because he can always just jump over it or go right under it, then punish your cooldown. Zair is better than PK Fire for zoning in this match-up because it's got significantly less start-up and cooldown and allows you to stay mobile, not to mention the follow-ups available if you hit up-close.

Sonic is almost always forced to recover low off-stage, so if you don't feel confident timing a down smash you can go for a tether trump. If he goes high for a mix-up and doesn't have his double jump that's a free up smash. You can use PK Thunder to force him to use his double jump, but missing probably means you'll drop your edge-guard, due to the long cooldown on PK Thunder. Drop-zone bair is good to stuff his low recovery, too, since it'll spike no matter what hitbox it connects with (the sour spot will get you a stage spike if Sonic doesn't tech). Don't forget about PK Freeze. The threat of getting hit almost always forces an opponent to choose a low or high recovery and the low endlag makes it a fairly low-commitment option.

Sonic can drop that spring as much as he wants to mess with Lucas's recovery, but it won't ever kill if you're smart, so that's kind of a non-issue.
If you alternately wavebounce the PK fire it'll stop Sonic abit, although not enough to punish.

I think we should work on this match-up.

kRaZiEGAMER

Smash Rookie
NNID
kRaZiEGAMER
We thought MK won the Fox matchup in theory for the same reasons as you outlined, but it turns out it's probably even or possibly slightly in Fox's favour. He is super fast and his rushdown style in the hands of a good player is difficult to deal with for most characters, even ones with decent walling capabilities like Lucas. Also, his recovery may seem very exploitable in theory it's not so easy in practice. Given that Lucas has a worse disadvantage state than MK, I would predict it to be in Fox's favour at least slightly.

EDIT: Also I would add that Lucas has a pretty good matchup vs. Ryu, and a slightly bad one vs. MK.
I think we can safely expect a lot of Ness's strongest matchups translate to Lucas pretty well: (Mewtwo, Samus, Palutena, Ganondorf, Dedede, Robin, Marth/Lucina, Falco, etc)

And I think we lose to much of the same characters (Sonic, Mario, Shiek, Diddy)

We do bad vs:

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus

Just wanna add my two cents here. First, Sonic is the same weight as Mario, so he's a mid weight. Not really "fairly light". The thing that makes the MU so hard is that Lucas can't catch Sonic. Much of Lucas's kit will only work if the Sonic approaches, which is something a good one will rarely do unless they are getting a punish. Shield cancelling side b is also amazing for baiting things out of Lucas. SH Nair can break side b, yes, but if he cancels side b (or just keeps holding it) and baits out a nair, then he is fast enough to punish the end lag despite it being relatively low. It also sucks for Lucas that Sonic is arguably the hardest character in the game to grab, and Lucas thrives immensely off of grabs. Off stage, tether trump is pretty much your only hope of getting a gimp. Sonic's recovery has a good portion of invincibility on it, so he can snap to the ledge while already invincible, thus preventing edge guarding via attacks.

Currently, I'm actually of the opinion that Sonic is handily Lucas's worst MU. If it were me, I'd much rather do the ditto rather than try to go Lucas against a Sonic in tourney.

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Just wanna add my two cents here. First, Sonic is the same weight as Mario, so he's a mid weight. Not really "fairly light". The thing that makes the MU so hard is that Lucas can't catch Sonic. Much of Lucas's kit will only work if the Sonic approaches, which is something a good one will rarely do unless they are getting a punish. Shield cancelling side b is also amazing for baiting things out of Lucas. SH Nair can break side b, yes, but if he cancels side b (or just keeps holding it) and baits out a nair, then he is fast enough to punish the end lag despite it being relatively low. It also sucks for Lucas that Sonic is arguably the hardest character in the game to grab, and Lucas thrives immensely off of grabs. Off stage, tether trump is pretty much your only hope of getting a gimp. Sonic's recovery has a good portion of invincibility on it, so he can snap to the ledge while already invincible, thus preventing edge guarding via attacks.

Currently, I'm actually of the opinion that Sonic is handily Lucas's worst MU. If it were me, I'd much rather do the ditto rather than try to go Lucas against a Sonic in tourney.
Eh I do fine vs Sonic as Lucas. You don't have to approach either.

I really think Falcon is our worst Match Up atm.

Edit: Also, if ANY Character recovers low, they have two frame ledge vulnerability, regardless if they had invincibility before hand. PKT can really mess with that and stage spike him.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I think we may have a pretty good matchup against Mario. We can keep up with him in CQC and escape his combos easier than most characters.

Of course he has a reflector for pk fire zoning, but if you play smart, it shouldn't affect you that much. Pk Fire is actually pretty useful in the matchup due its ability to explode on contact with fireballs.

Last edited:

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Eh I do fine vs Sonic as Lucas. You don't have to approach either.

Edit: Also, if ANY Character recovers low, they have two frame ledge vulnerability, regardless if they had invincibility before hand. PKT can really mess with that and stage spike him.
Personally I would say that Diddy is Lucas's worst match-up. He's the only one that can easily and consistantly punish our PK-fire zoning and his f-air can beat all our aerials.

Cpt. falcon became really annoying thanks to that shieldstun change. Back air is so safe.

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Personally I would say that Diddy is Lucas's worst match-up. He's the only one that can easily and consistantly punish our PK-fire zoning and his f-air can beat all our aerials.

Cpt. falcon became really annoying thanks to that shieldstun change. Back air is so safe.

Are you wavebouncing PK Fire? Wavebounce PK Fire is safe as long as you aren't right next to him. And I have no problems with his aerials. You have to respect his aerials.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Are you wavebouncing PK Fire? Wavebounce PK Fire is safe as long as you aren't right next to him. And I have no problems with his aerials. You have to respect his aerials.
Yes, I'm not an idiot.
Diddy is the only character in the game that can punish a wavebounced PK-fire with a jump cancel glide toss banana.

D

Deleted member

Lucas safely destroys all heavies except :4dk: and :4dedede:. Mostly because characters like :4bowser: and :4ganondorf: have such huge frames you can take advantage off, and considering the latter's poor recovery and the former not having any safe landing options when launched in the air, both are a field day for Lucas.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Lucas safely destroys all heavies except :4dk: and :4dedede:. Mostly because characters like :4bowser: and :4ganondorf: have such huge frames you can take advantage off, and considering the latter's poor recovery and the former not having any safe landing options when launched in the air, both are a field day for Lucas.
How do DK and King Dedede not get destroyed by Lucas? DK doesn't have any tools to handle Lucas's zoning, at all, and his recovery is extremely easy to exploit. Dedede is only really a problem when you're above him because of how long his up air is active and because he can cover your landing with a well-placed gordo. Outside of that, PK Fire beats out gordos because a high bounce won't reach you, and a low bounce makes them very easy to hit with PK Fire. His huge hurtbox makes him combo food (his heavy weight makes him especially susceptible to down throw back air meteor at the ledge), and his only really good kill option is landing an up air, or down smash trap at the ledge (which isn't hard to avoid if you just wait it out by hanging out in tether). Really the only two moves you have to repect in the Dedede match-up are f-tilt and fair off-stage.

If anything, Ganondorf's ability to kill extremely early makes it a tricky match-up because you have to respect his kill power. Most of his moves will also outprioritize ours on sheer damage output should they clank, so that's something you have to play around, as well.

Last edited:

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
On paper we beat all heavies, but one fk up is death.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I feel like full hop dair does a good job of keeping Falcon in check when he goes for grounded approaches. Once he starts going into the air you can go in with nair under him. I don't think it's that bad a match-up, but I don't have to put up with Fatality in my region (Vegas). Our best Falcon player moved out, too.

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
I dunno, I feel like full hop dair does a good job of keeping Falcon in check when he goes for grounded approaches. Once he starts going into the air you can go in with nair under him. I don't think it's that bad a match-up, but I don't have to put up with Fatality in my region (Vegas). Our best Falcon player moved out, too.
I may show a little bias as Fatality is in my region. He bodied my Lucas so hard while I go generally even with Ness until bad things happen.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I may show a little bias as Fatality is in my region. He bodied my Lucas so hard while I go generally even with Ness until bad things happen.
Yeah, Ness's do-it-all nair and up air seem like they'd come in handy in the match-up. Also his grab isn't **** and he's got that back throw that Falcon has to respect. The problem with Lucas is that he has a hard time getting out of Falcon's pressure because his aerials aren't long disjointed hitboxes the way Ness's are (namely nair and fair). Falcon doesn't exactly have to worry about attacking Lucas's shield, either, because of his slow grab. The best Lucas can do OoS against Falcon is nair, which can catch Falcon even if he spot dodges or rolls. In terms of zoning, zair is infinitely more useful in this match-up up than PK Fire due to its quick (relatively speaking) start-up and minimal landing lag.

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Mario isn't that hard. Your fair outranges all his aerials and he has limited approach because he can't use fireballs. Make sure you jab out of shield his attempted shield pressure with his autocancels. There's no reason he should be able to cape you if you recover with Zair. You can also PKT2 yourself at a small angle so even if he capes you you can grab the ledge by floating there.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Mario isn't that hard. Your fair outranges all his aerials and he has limited approach because he can't use fireballs. Make sure you jab out of shield his attempted shield pressure with his autocancels. There's no reason he should be able to cape you if you recover with Zair. You can also PKT2 yourself at a small angle so even if he capes you you can grab the ledge by floating there.
PK fire is also good for forcing approaches out of him if used wisely. We can take advantage of his poor range by pivot grabbing and spacing aerials when he tries to approach with his own. I do still think the MU might be slightly in Mario's favor, but potentially even.

Loving all the MU discussion btw.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
:4lucas:

You can also grab sonic out of his spin dash when he approaches.

How do DK and King Dedede not get destroyed by Lucas? DK doesn't have any tools to handle Lucas's zoning, at all, and his recovery is extremely easy to exploit. Dedede is only really a problem when you're above him because of how long his up air is active and because he can cover your landing with a well-placed gordo. Outside of that, PK Fire beats out gordos because a high bounce won't reach you, and a low bounce makes them very easy to hit with PK Fire. His huge hurtbox makes him combo food (his heavy weight makes him especially susceptible to down throw back air meteor at the ledge), and his only really good kill option is landing an up air, or down smash trap at the ledge (which isn't hard to avoid if you just wait it out by hanging out in tether). Really the only two moves you have to repect in the Dedede match-up are f-tilt and fair off-stage.

If anything, Ganondorf's ability to kill extremely early makes it a tricky match-up because you have to respect his kill power. Most of his moves will also outprioritize ours on sheer damage output should they clank, so that's something you have to play around, as well.
I have always found that all heavies are combo food for :4lucas:. The large hotboxes and slow movement speed allow for good opportunities to zone, and start combos with nair!

I find that the threat with all of the heavies kill power effects my playstyle with every character that I play, so :4ganondorf:'s kill power should be respected by all characters.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
:4lucas:
You can also grab sonic out of his spin dash when he approaches.
One must be very careful with this, though. Sonic has countless ways to fake you out with Spin Dash to bait you into using that laggy grab. Only useful for reads unless you have very quick reaction time.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
One must be very careful with this, though. Sonic has countless ways to fake you out with Spin Dash to bait you into using that laggy grab. Only useful for reads unless you have very quick reaction time.
You bring up a very good point! Grabbing a :4sonic: out of spin dash is something that should be used as more of a mix up because it is very punishable. I typically do not us it until kill throw %.

Lunacywastaken

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunacywastaken

Can confirm, I played an extremely good Sonic and I got bodied as Lucas. Because of his slow ground and aerial speed as well as his sub-par frame data, Lucas gets completely annihilated by Sonic.

Lunacywastaken

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunacywastaken
Heyyyy guys.
In my opinion, characters that I find Lucas to have an easier time (from experience) are Bowser Junior, Dr. Mario, King Dedede, Luigi, Ness, PAC-MAN, Palutena, R.O.B., Toon Link, Zelda, Bowser and Ganondorf.

Top Bottom