• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Controller Setup for the New Shorthop Shortcut?

R O F L

Smash Ace
I've been wanting easy shorthops ever since they revealed the shorthop attack shortcut, mostly because I'm trash at shorthops. My only problem, is that when pressing both jump buttons, I don't have easy access to the R-stick to attack. I'm using the Pro Controller BTW

My current map is A attack, B special, X jump, Y jump, ZL grab, ZR shield, L jump, R jump (my R button is half-broken), D-Pad taunt, R-Stick tilt.
When I try to do L+R, I can't get it most of the time, and when I do X+Y, my thumb has a hard time reaching the R-stick in time if I want to attack.

Is there any controller map that you'd think would work better for the Shorthop Shortcut? Or should I just practice X+Y then quickly moving to the R-stick/A button.

Last edited:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
If you're really looking for simplicity, and your R button is messed up, then you should just get used to one of X+Y, L+Y, or L+X and then moving your finger quickly to attack after, but I recommend getting comfortable with a variety of inputs based on the situation you are in. I use dual joy cons with L, X, and Y set to jump and right stick set to tilt, and I will use all of the various short hop techniques below in different situations based on what I'm trying to do, what my opponent is doing and what I expect them to do next, where my opponent and I are on stage, and where my fingers are on the controller from previous inputs.
1) Immediate rising short hop nair - A+X
2) Immediate rising short hop aerial other than nair - L+tilt stick (absolute best method for reverse aerial rushing, no question about it) or occasionally A+X+left stick direction
3) Short hop w/ the intention of doing nair - quickly slide thumb over X diagonally down and to the right towards A
4) Short hop w/ intention of doing an aerial other than nair - quickly slide thumb over Y from the top downwards towards tilt stick
5) Short hop for movement only or uncertain if I will attack - mainly X+Y or slide thumb downwards over Y but also possibly L+Y or L+X

EDIT: I neglected the option of setting both L and ZL to jump and using that as the primary short hop method, however, I personally find it awkward pressing both left shoulder buttons while also attempting to move my character with left stick.

Last edited:

h4 Gambiteer

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
I've been trying mapping both L buttons to jump, so I can press both with one finger when I want to short hop, and only one if I want to full hop.
If your R trigger is broken, you might try
1. setting both L buttons to jump
2. changing X or Y to grab/shield
3. changing ZR to grab/shield

That way you keep all your options and have two same-side triggers for jumping.
I don't like pressing X + Y for the shorthop shortcut, because you always want to use the tilt stick after that and it's better to have your fingers on stick while pressing the shorthop.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Use a power A wireless, configure the AG buttons to Y, and press either one and X to short hop. Total cheat.

Top Bottom