• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good char for a 2nd?

Loki(702)

Smash Rookie
Well Doc is a good character to main but every one should have a high teir there familiar with. Try Sheik Fox Falco Peach C. Falcon and if you dont like these characters go with sumtin more unsuspected like Gannon Jigg or someone like Marth or Roy really Depends on your playing style

dragoonv86

Smash Apprentice
Doc can counter all characters! i'm just saying that to let ppl know, but with every fight i've been in with him peach is doc's rival. (Look at wat my sig says) i use to be just a pika player than became doc but kept losing and winning against peach so i decided to be a peach player too

pockyD

Smash Legend
if doc is far and away your best character, it's unlikely that you'll find a matchup out there that you would rather use your secondary for, regardless of who it is

Pima

Smash Journeyman
As said before, it really depends on your play style.. I 2nd Fox, but you might not like him that much

Smash Journeyman
you should try either fox or falco, marth etc) as your secondary to have a top tier character on standby.

i second falco with beautiful teching i might add, but i use doc for any mach but if i feel like
dominating the comp i go falco.

FOB

Smash Ace
sheik. Takes care of Link, Marth, Jiggs, Gannon, etc.

But really, Doc doesn't really need a second. He doesn't have a horrible match-up like Ice Climbers do. I'd say to just learn the match ups with doc.

"Its not like your second will beat someone's main" ~Husband.

pockyD

Smash Legend
my opinion is that no one counters marth enough that if doc is clearly your best character, you'd still be better going off with the secondary -_-

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
Technically doc is only a secondary for me at most, but I try to use him a lot so I can develop my skills with him more. In recent tournaments I've played in, if I hit a bump in the road doc couldn't get over for me, I just switched to Peach (my main) and easily disposed of it. My Peach style flips around like all the time though, so I wouldn't be able to suggest a style that might compliment Doc nicely.

Anyway, it all depends how much you really think you need a backup, and how much you are willing to devote to learning a backup. If the answer to the first is no, or the second is little, then I would suggest either Sheik or Marth. If the first is Yes or the second is some/much, then I'd suggest Peach (if you've got strong mindgames), or Space Animals (if you favor tech skills).

Still, all in all, I think if you have a good doc you should be able to stick with him and pull through in most situations.

Twiggy_Ramirez

Smash Apprentice
basically i say shiek; marth is your biggest problem: and the best way to deal with him is in the ditto or shiek! SHIEK!

has a similar mechanic system, down smash is good, f air is good = peasy

Smash Journeyman
The 2 characters I have problems with are Marths and Shieks, and Falco tends to do pretty well against both of those >.>

I probably wouldn't play Shiek even if I didn't dislike her.
yea so take my advice dude and go doc/falco its the best character combo since
marth/fox to be honest.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
Well, Doc. Mario is a good second, but try a character that is good vs lot of people, so u got some adventage, ofcourse, the adventage almost dosnt matter while u play good,so shose whoever u want but practice a lot..

Smash Journeyman
Well, Doc. Mario is a good second, but try a character that is good vs lot of people, so u got some adventage, ofcourse, the adventage almost dosnt matter while u play good,so shose whoever u want but practice a lot..
true but i wouldnt play a low teir character or rather a none top tier character as my second
character just cuz its a reason they are not op tier so i would if you main a top tier character
already. just stick with them to much practice is never enough.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
Id say marth is a good idea because of marth having mad range advantage on doc

i main doc falcon and marth so i dont have a favorite though im proly best with doc

MuBa

Smash Lord
Doc's biggest problem is Marth. Although I've practiced against them so many times I can almost beat them consistently. I would say your best secondary to Doc would be a Sheik.

But I think what Doc should be doing against a Marth is to roll dodge a LOT (Don't get predictable duh) and get away from Marth's SHFFL'D N-airs! Also use the cape every now and then to screw up Marth's attack, especially his F-Smash, and use that lag to your advantage to pwn him. And oh yea....stay at the ground at all times. Marth owns you hard in the air.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I don't have a second yet, as I am still mastering Doc, but I think Sheik is the easiest top tier to switch off with. You need to remember the timing difference of f-air, and d-smash isn't as useful IMO, but I can use her without drastically changing my style, so I think when I get to having a second char it will be Sheik

Top Bottom