• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good approaches and ways to get off the ledge?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
Other than short hop fairs, what else is a good way to approach?
And what's the best ways for Marth to get off the ledge and back on the stage?

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
approach:
dash dance>jump cancel grab
dash dance>run>run cancel down tilt
space with fairs n such
yeah

get on stage:
normal get up
roll on (not highly recommended)
^neither of these are recommended past 99%
drop off ledge>jump>nair/fair (usually best option as its invincible and such, can be shield grabbed though)
getup attack isnt that great but... functional
those are pretty much all of your options

mix up all of these for effective approach and safer getup

Last edited:

Saint Shaden 009

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SAIN#490
I'm having the same issue with ledge getups tbh. I tend to have some problems with getting punished when I don't want to put out a move when I ledgehop and just want to ledgedash and get away. It seems like my invincibility runs out faster than normal. Ether that or I'm not doing it fast enough.

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
Something basic but really important. If you decide to commit to the (non-invincible) ledge-hop aerial then make sure you aren't trading with something like Falco's F-Smash that going to put you off-stage without a jump. Don't get anxious just because you're getting pressured at the ledge. Do the smart thing, mix up your recoveries, grab invincibility and ledge-hop aerial.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Like Izzy Iz said, it's really crucial to mix up your options. One thing you might want to try to do, but not too often unless your opponent repeatedly falls for it, is just hit out, jump, fair, dolphin slash to get back on the edge. Yeah, this is also partially dependent on whether or not your opponent will have enough hitstun from the fair for you to actually get back, but still. Also, don't always get back up immediately. Sometimes hitting out and then just jumping back onto the ledge to confuse your opponent is a good option. Just don't get knocked off of the edge by a surprise dsmash/dtilt. Also, if your opponent messes up with one little thing, try to take advantage of the chance to get back on stage and get back into the neutral game. Punish if you can, but in that situation, it could be tough.

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
Like Izzy Iz said, it's really crucial to mix up your options. One thing you might want to try to do, but not too often unless your opponent repeatedly falls for it, is just hit out, jump, fair, dolphin slash to get back on the edge. Yeah, this is also partially dependent on whether or not your opponent will have enough hitstun from the fair for you to actually get back, but still. Also, don't always get back up immediately. Sometimes hitting out and then just jumping back onto the ledge to confuse your opponent is a good option. Just don't get knocked off of the edge by a surprise dsmash/dtilt. Also, if your opponent messes up with one little thing, try to take advantage of the chance to get back on stage and get back into the neutral game. Punish if you can, but in that situation, it could be tough.
Absolutely this. Marth doesn't have a true ledge-stall like some other characters, but you can sometimes throw off your opponent by retreating ledge-hop into Fair followed by Dolphin Slash to regrab ledge. Your next option will probably be to ledge-hop nair/fair onto stage since you gained invincibility by grabbing the ledge. You can sometimes see M2K doing this on FD if the opponent refuses to give him room. You just really have to watch out for the ramen noodles. Probably wouldn't stall this way more than twice before getting back on stage and no more than 2-3 times per game if you can help it.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Absolutely this. Marth doesn't have a true ledge-stall like some other characters, but you can sometimes throw off your opponent by retreating ledge-hop into Fair followed by Dolphin Slash to regrab ledge. Your next option will probably be to ledge-hop nair/fair onto stage since you gained invincibility by grabbing the ledge. You can sometimes see M2K doing this on FD if the opponent refuses to give him room. You just really have to watch out for the ramen noodles. Probably wouldn't stall this way more than twice before getting back on stage and no more than 2-3 times per game if you can help it.
To be fair, how many characters have a "true ledge-stall"? Off the top of my head, the only one I know is Sheik provided she Shino Stalls perfectly.

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, how many characters have a "true ledge-stall"? Off the top of my head, the only one I know is Sheik provided she Shino Stalls perfectly.
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure Fox has an Up-B perfect invincibility stall but the timing for the inputs is ridiculous at around 1-3 frames. Sometimes spacies can also get away with side-b stall shenanigans but the invincibility doesn't cover the whole action so they usually only do it once before hopping off. I'm sure there are 1-2 more than I can't name off the top of my head because they're useful to some of the more obscure characters.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure Fox has an Up-B perfect invincibility stall but the timing for the inputs is ridiculous at around 1-3 frames. Sometimes spacies can also get away with side-b stall shenanigans but the invincibility doesn't cover the whole action so they usually only do it once before hopping off. I'm sure there are 1-2 more than I can't name off the top of my head because they're useful to some of the more obscure characters.
(I'm only quoting you as a way of responding, not the Fox thing). But yeah, that's rather my point. Perfect Shino Stalls are the only guaranteed ledge invincibility that I know of. And that literally requires you to know to fall for like 4 frames before using Vanish. Something like that. It's rather ridiculous. Either way, mix up your ledge options, and try to force them to back off with a ledge hop fair -> dolphin slash or waveland depending on your spacing. Also, if you're not confident that you have enough time/space to waveland or dolphin slash, you could try air dodging up and towards the ledge (see Mango). If you do it properly, you shouldn't require nearly the open time that you do to Dolphin Slash back. An open, quick mind is seriously important to this game.

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
(I'm only quoting you as a way of responding, not the Fox thing). But yeah, that's rather my point. Perfect Shino Stalls are the only guaranteed ledge invincibility that I know of. And that literally requires you to know to fall for like 4 frames before using Vanish. Something like that. It's rather ridiculous. Either way, mix up your ledge options, and try to force them to back off with a ledge hop fair -> dolphin slash or waveland depending on your spacing. Also, if you're not confident that you have enough time/space to waveland or dolphin slash, you could try air dodging up and towards the ledge (see Mango). If you do it properly, you shouldn't require nearly the open time that you do to Dolphin Slash back. An open, quick mind is seriously important to this game.
Mewtwo has an almost garunteed Ledge Stall using his Teleport. (I think. Not that this has anything to do with Marth.)

Either way Mewtwo's Ledge Stall looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
Marth does in fact have a true invincible ledge-stall: the hax dash. In addition, you can regrab ledge immediately after fair if you fair quickly enough (no up-b required). If you depend on up-b to regrab ledge, a good opponent will punish a missed (or cced/shielded) fair by grabbing ledge and edge hogging you.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Marth does in fact have a true invincible ledge-stall: the hax dash. In addition, you can regrab ledge immediately after fair if you fair quickly enough (no up-b required). If you depend on up-b to regrab ledge, a good opponent will punish a missed (or cced/shielded) fair by grabbing ledge and edge hogging you.
Yeah, I realized after posting that Marth is actually capable of flat-out getting onto the ledge (or regrabbing it) if you do out, Y, and fair almost immediately. It's really useful for useful. As far as the hax dash goes... yeah that's kinda crazy, but it's useflu to know that it exists.

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
Marth's hax dash is an extremely difficult tech to get consistent (with full invincibility). The biggest problem with the tech is that if you mess up once, you die. I'm confident that someone at the highest level could get it consistent to the point where we'd see it in tournament. However, we don't have an extremely technical marth main (on the level of westballz' falco or hax' falcon/fox). For reference, here's Armada getting killed because he wasn't intangible at the start of the up b (the delay before dropping and the shine caused this). On the plus side, it's an incredibly easy tech to practice by yourself, so if you lock yourself in a closet with a cube for a few months, I'm sure you could get it. While it's by no means a useless tech, it's also not a vital one. You can become a god without ever hax dashing.

It's important to note that Marth can hax dash in part because of his some of his intangibility frames last until he is actionable on stage. Marth actually has very few actionable intangibility frames in comparison to other characters. Fox, who is tied for 1st (who would have guessed) can use this to do things like intangible wave land upsmash (or lots of other things).

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
we don't have an extremely technical marth main (on the level of westballz' falco or hax' falcon/fox).
Is there really any need to be so techincal with Marth though? He seems to be a character that uses the fundamentals of smash more, than actual techs, like fox and falco, who have stuff like waveshining and multishining.

Rhino1337

Smash Rookie
I think it's important to remember that marth has a get up attack from the ledge. I feel that many people will never use a get up attack because they can ledge hop fair/dair/uair onto the stage. However if your ledge hopping is getting punished too often that you need to ledge stall, get up attack (primarily 0-99) works better than people remember

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I think it's important to remember that marth has a get up attack from the ledge. I feel that many people will never use a get up attack because they can ledge hop fair/dair/uair onto the stage. However if your ledge hopping is getting punished too often that you need to ledge stall, get up attack (primarily 0-99) works better than people remember
Um, not always. I'd say that it's actually a really risky attack because he loses his invincibility before the attack gets off. I'm not saying it's a bad attack, but it's gotta be used sparingly. Anyway, if they're looking for a punish off of getup aerial, you could just pull and M2K and tap in towards the stage and use the normal getup because of the overlap time with the invincibility and movement.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
approach:
dash dance>jump cancel grab
dash dance>run>run cancel down tilt
space with fairs n such
yeah

get on stage:
normal get up
roll on (not highly recommended)
^neither of these are recommended past 99%
drop off ledge>jump>nair/fair (usually best option as its invincible and such, can be shield grabbed though)
getup attack isnt that great but... functional
those are pretty much all of your options

mix up all of these for effective approach and safer getup
You forgot some of the best ones:

Ledgehopped airdodge. Ledgehopped counter!! And ledgedash.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
You forgot some of the best ones:

Ledgehopped airdodge. Ledgehopped counter!! And ledgedash.
Those are excellent ideas. I think some of us forget that those are options, though. My only little note on that message, though, is regarding the ledgehopped counter. If you don't have inwards momentum sufficient enough to put you on the edge, it'll end up being more like an extra 7% damage to your opponent before you SD.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah make sure you're above the ground before you pop the counter. Also, try to counter on reaction to bairs and stuff rather than as a read.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Yeah make sure you're above the ground before you pop the counter. Also, try to counter on reaction to bairs and stuff rather than as a read.
Definitely this. Counter can be an extremely useful clutch move, but it leaves you super open if they don't do anything. Sometimes, however, it's your only option for stopping your opponent. I know my main Counter time is when a Sheik is attempting to seal the deal with a fair when I'm without my second jump or enough space to beat her out with my own fair.

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
Eh, that's not really needed. Just a little bit of practice gets a consistent analogue jump in. I think counter in general is low risk/reward in most situations, but to each their own I guess.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
:crazy: What's your secret? I've tried before but can never quite get it... always end up using a spotdodge.
Get used to doing out of shield options against spacy pressure in general. WD oos and fair oos primarily, but up-b out of shield has some uses. Once you are comfortable timing your jump after the shine but not before the shieldstun ends, you will be a proficient user of counter oos.

I actually use counter oos premptively to my opponent hitting my shield with an aerial sometimes too. Like if I see them falling down with a bair to "space on my shield" I just counter out of shield and turn the tables.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Get used to doing out of shield options against spacy pressure in general. WD oos and fair oos primarily, but up-b out of shield has some uses. Once you are comfortable timing your jump after the shine but not before the shieldstun ends, you will be a proficient user of counter oos.

I actually use counter oos premptively to my opponent hitting my shield with an aerial sometimes too. Like if I see them falling down with a bair to "space on my shield" I just counter out of shield and turn the tables.
I can WD OoS and I'm fairly sure fair OoS won't be too tough to master, though I've never tried it. Dolphin Slash OoS definitely has some uses, that's something else for me to practice. So for the Counter OoS just wait for the small gap in between the shine and shieldstun and seize it?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Uh, it's after both the shine and the shield stun if you reread my post. But you want to be fast as possible after the shine ends or you will lose your chance.

Rhino1337

Smash Rookie
Um, not always. I'd say that it's actually a really risky attack because he loses his invincibility before the attack gets off. I'm not saying it's a bad attack, but it's gotta be used sparingly. Anyway, if they're looking for a punish off of getup aerial, you could just pull and M2K and tap in towards the stage and use the normal getup because of the overlap time with the invincibility and movement.
Youre right of course you wouldnt want to use it very often
And normal get up is also a good option to use. Maybe that into a jab or grab?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Youre right of course you wouldnt want to use it very often
And normal get up is also a good option to use. Maybe that into a jab or grab?
I wouldn't say a jab because it doesn't have very many follow ups. An ftilt would be a pretty good idea for gaining some of the stage back for yourself, though. A grab is definitely a good idea, though. Depending on their distance, you might wanna start up a dash and then JC grab them. Probably back throw after that so you've got most of the stage all of a sudden instead of it belonging to them.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The problem with jab is that you risk getting crouch cancel d-smashed. A lot of players, when they see you get up, will try to dsmash you. And typically that is accompanied by a crouch cancel input as well. It could be useful for stuffing someone trying to run in and grab you though.

When I do regular get up, I usually just shield and then wavedash out of shield forward if they give me respect and back off. Usually they back air my shield though, and I'm forced to grab the ledge again because of the shield push. :cry:

Edit: I should start shield DIing in on those.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
The problem with jab is that you risk getting crouch cancel d-smashed. A lot of players, when they see you get up, will try to dsmash you. And typically that is accompanied by a crouch cancel input as well. It could be useful for stuffing someone trying to run in and grab you though.

When I do regular get up, I usually just shield and then wavedash out of shield forward if they give me respect and back off. Usually they back air my shield though, and I'm forced to grab the ledge again because of the shield push. :cry:

Edit: I should start shield DIing in on those.
Yeah, shield DI isn't a bad idea. Alternately, you might be able to dtilt before they begin their bair, or utilt them before they finish their input. What I would suggest, though, is letting yourself get pushed off the first time. Once you see their initial reaction, use the counsel get up again. Human nature states that, if something works once, we'll almost always do it again. Look into the Einstellung Effect for more details. Anyway, knowing what they'll do to react to your normal get up, beat them out in the micro game and hit them first. Not having too much experience with this, I can't guarantee it will work, but psychology states it should.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The thing is that typically they time the bair so it hits as you are still in your animation from doing the ledge get up or ledge hop, thus putting out a "meaty" hitbox that you do not have any frames to respond to with something like u-tilt. However, if their reactions are late to it, you might have time to squeeze in that u-tilt. Unfortunately, sometimes they are too far horizontally to actually get hit by the u-tilt.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Ah. Well alternately you may be able to roll from ledge of they go for the meaty bair on a normal get up. It's kinda laggy, but could work

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Hm, you might get away with it, but if you watch players like Wizzrobe or S2J, they typically can bair to cover one option and then JC grab to cover rolls and tech rolls. I'm assuming ledge roll is no different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom