• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Anime Series to Watch?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Speaking of Brotherhood, I'm yet to watch The Sacred Star of Milos. I mean, the ending wrapped up everyone's journey so perfectly whilst keeping some loose threads for the Elric's brother's future paths. I wonder how they carry on the story from there.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Speaking of Brotherhood, I'm yet to watch The Sacred Star of Milos. I mean, the ending wrapped up everyone's journey so perfectly whilst keeping some loose threads for the Elric's brother's future paths. I wonder how they carry on the story from there.
Actually the story of The Sacred Star of Milos is based in between the events of the anime not after. Didn't watch it but Internet.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Actually the story of The Sacred Star of Milos is based in between the events of the anime not after. Didn't watch it but Internet.
Yeah, I watched Sacred Star 1-2 years ago. It does take place during Brotherhood, though I forget when.

I remember thinking that the movie was pretty good. It's also a self-contained story (and necessarily, since it's a retroactive insertion in the Brotherhood timeline). I'd recommend it, if you're a Brotherhood fan.

Roundabout

Smash Rookie
I would encourage you to watch Kaiji, Neon Genesis Evangelion (and End of Evangelion (don't watch the rebuilds)), Cromartie High School, Nichijous/Nichibros, Legend of the Galatic Heroes, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Welcome the the N.H.K., Haibane Renmei, and JoJo.
EDIT: Watch Cowboy Bebop also

If you want manga to read, I would read Berserk.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I would encourage you to watch Kaiji, Neon Genesis Evangelion (and End of Evangelion (don't watch the rebuilds)), Cromartie High School, Nichijous/Nichibros, Legend of the Galatic Heroes, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Welcome the the N.H.K., Haibane Renmei, and JoJo.
If you want manga to read, I would read Berserk.
Hmm, well got any other Manga recommendations? Don't want something too serious at the moment.

And all these animes are anime only productions or made from manga? A manga that came out solely to promote the anime is not what I am interested in though. I prefer source materials as they are usually superior in terms of story. Anime, if the anime came first or manga if the manga came first. And if only anime or only manga, then there is no choice is there :p?

How is "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"? I have heard good stuff about it so asking.

Last edited:

Roundabout

Smash Rookie
Hmm, well got any other Manga recommendations? Don't want something too serious at the moment.

And all these animes are anime only productions or made from manga? A manga that came out solely to promote the anime is not what I am interested in though. I prefer source materials as they are usually superior in terms of story. Anime, if the anime came first or manga if the manga came first. And if only anime or only manga, then there is no choice is there :p?

How is "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"? I have heard good stuff about it so asking.
Kurosawa (kind of serious if you're in a sad mood), Yotsubato!, and Tonari no Seki-kun.

Kaiji was adapted but it's perfectly okay to watch the anime and then read the manga. Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evangelion got their own manga but I like the manga better due to the different personalities but it's perfectly fine to watch the anime first. Cromartie High School and the manga are both awesome and you should read/watch them both. I have not read the Nichijou or Nichibros manga so I personally wouldn't know. I don't know about Legend of the Galatic Heroes too. Serial Experiments Lain has a manga but it's more like a side-story. Texnholyze has no manga. I have not read Welcome the the NHK or Haibane Renmei yet to know about the manga.
EDIT: Read the JoJo manga

I like Haruhi but some people don't like Endless Eight or the pachinko.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Kurosawa (kind of serious if you're in a sad mood), Yotsubato!, and Tonari no Seki-kun.

Kaiji was adapted but it's perfectly okay to watch the anime and then read the manga. Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evangelion got their own manga but I like the manga better due to the different personalities but it's perfectly fine to watch the anime first. Cromartie High School and the manga are both awesome and you should read/watch them both. I have not read the Nichijou or Nichibros manga so I personally wouldn't know. I don't know about Legend of the Galatic Heroes too. Serial Experiments Lain has a manga but it's more like a side-story. Texnholyze has no manga. I have not read Welcome the the NHK or Haibane Renmei yet to know about the manga.
EDIT: Read the JoJo manga

I like Haruhi but some people don't like Endless Eight or the pachinko.
Oh ok thanks for the input. Will check these anime and mangas out!

Ugh so much to do, so little time! I doubt I will ever get through my ever increasing back log of games, anime and manga!

JusticeColde

Smash Cadet
NNID
JusticeColde
Why has nobody said Trigun?
Vash by himself makes the show worth watching if the action and small comedy bits weren't enough.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Why has nobody said Trigun?
Vash by himself makes the show worth watching if the action and small comedy bits weren't enough.
I've seen Trigun. 8)

Starts off very lighthearted and goofy, but grows progressively more somber over time. Vash's zaniness and exaggerated traits may be off-putting, but if you commit to the series, it'll be worthwhile.

I enjoyed it a lot. And the movie (something something Badlands) wasn't too shabby, by all accounts.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Anyone say Boku no Pico yet? I insist on the viewing of this series.

Heaven's lost property is a great anime too. I watched for the jokes mainly. It was extremely funny.

Last edited:

PotatoMashedDee

Smash Cadet
marathoning Kirby Right Back at Ya! and F-ZERO anime, just do it. I'm being serious.

in case you want a list:
-Nichijou
-Danshi Kokousei no Nichijou
-Shirokuma Cafe(Polar Bear Cafe)
-Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga ****ai
-Jojo's Bizzare Adventure(you can choice the old OVA and newer one, both are good)
-Doraemon(now this show is in Disney Channel)
-Crayon Shinchan
-Kill la Kill

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
@ Sarki Soliloquy Sarki Soliloquy
I just finished Fate/Zero a day ago and I must say, the anime is truly amazing. Much better than the Fate/Stay Night anime as well as the Unlimited Blade Works Movie.

I would recommend it to other people definitely.

Really good animation, storyline, production values, everything. But it is not for someone who wants a light hearted anime as it is pretty serious and dark.

Only thing I didn't like is not really the anime's fault. It is a prequel, so there are limitations to the storyline and character development BUT Ufotable did a really good job.

Which makes it even more depressing....

Last edited:

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I KNOW THIS ISN'T ANIME
If you haven't, check out the Avatar series. Not the movie with the blue people, Avatar: The last airbender and the legend of Korra

the man

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, if you want good anime there are far too many to list. It depends on what you're looking for but if you're looking for Shounen/action advernture then do I have a list for you.

One piece - Is really really good until Merman Island which is roughly 450+ episodes after that I would read the manga.

Hunter X Hunter - top tier shounen, probably the most consistent and engaging shounen I've ever seen. The manga is great too unfortunately it goes on hiatus a lot due to Togashi's "medical" problems and dragon quest addiction. Easily in my personal top 10.

The Berserk Movies - High quality and well done even though it doesn't follow the manga as much as it should, results in some conflicting plot points.

Claymore - Watch it.

Fate/zero - WATCH IT.

Air Gear - Very good watch, never read the manga though.

Kuroko No Basket - I don't even like watching basketball but this anime hooked me in regardless.

Hajime no Ippo - Best boxing anime hands down. Some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen

Trigun - A classic, a must watch for basically everyone who loves anime.

Busou Renkin - Been a few years since I've seen this one but I remember this one fondly.

Mirai Nikki - Watch it.

Welcome to the NHK - Really struck a few chords with me when I was in a slump. If you don't want to become depressed for a short while I would avoid this one, otherwise I would say this is a must see.

Short but sweet category
Daily lives of High School Boys
Black Blood Brothers
Btooom! - S2 needs to happen.

This is off the top of my head and what has already been posted in the OP. Start watching my friend. You're missing out if you don't watch these.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The Berserk Movies - High quality and well done even though it doesn't follow the manga as much as it should, results in some conflicting plot points.
Could you remind me what these conflicting points are? I've seen the movies and read partway through the manga (up to the beginning of the Kushan stuff, I think), but I forget enough of either to not remember any glaring continuity issues.

the man

Smash Apprentice
This post is going to contain spoilers for those who haven't read/watched Berserk.

If you want specific scenes/dialogue I can say after Griffith tries to recruit Guts into the Hawk, more specifically their 2nd fight. During the fight there are conflicting tones (not sure if this is the right word here) in the dialogue from the movies/manga. In the manga Guts' response to Griffiths obsession with him is "what are you a homo or something?" While in the movie Guts states something like "I'll be your ***** or soldier." Almost the exact opposite. I think this is cherry-picking on my part, but I think the manga portrays Guts as a fearless warrior rather than a submissive soldier.

Now something major that isn't developed or looked upon is the relationships between Gambino, the rapist and Guts. The only thing the movie shows for reference is a sketchy flashback as a nightmare and completely sweeps that part of the plot under the rug, which is a pretty defining conflict (lack of a better word) in Guts character.

There's probably more, but this is what I recall off the top of my head.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Full Metal Alchemist (Dub)
Full Metal Alchemist Conqueror of Shamballa (Dub)
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (Dub)
Full Metal Alchemist Sacred Star of Milos (Dub)

Attack on Titan (Japanese)
Soul Eater (Dub)
Sword Art Online (Once the elf arch starts it sucks)

Dragon Ball Z

Maven89

Smash Master
Berserk is one of the best anime's I've ever seen. I would definitely recommend it.

And while it isn't an action show, Death Note is the best anime I've seen, so I'd recommend that anyways

Tomlanji

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tomlanji
3DS FC
4098-2281-7871
My favorite comedy anime is Baka and Test, really funny you all need to watch that.
If you need a serious anime. Death Note, barely jokes In the series.
An action anime would be Code Geass or Black Bullet.
The best anime would be Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
What's your thoughts on Hellsing Ultimate? From the descriptions it sounds crazy i kinda like crazy.

One Piece honestly is addictive when you get into it, some do slower then others or just skip arcs altogether. :(

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I just watched the first prologue episode of the new Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works anime and I must say I am impressed. Ufotable is doing a great job, continuing with the art style and cinematography that it used in Fate/Zero and this episode was pretty good, establishing the start of the sequel's storyline. The art is still top notch, same goes with animation.

Looks and runs much better than the original Fate/Stay Night anime, plus it leaves out all the unneeded exposition in the Visual Novel. The 47 minutes were a great watch. Although it does assume that you know something about the Fate series beforehand so watching Fate/Zero before would still be recommended.

I look forward to how this anime turns out, and based on my first impression, I would recommend it a future watch along with Fate/Zero (the prequel to Fate/Stay Night).

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I rarely watch anime, but here's my list of series that were fantastic.
1. Durarara!! - action, suspense
2. Toradora! - romantic comedy
3. Clannad (and After Story) - the saddest show ever

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Watch Baku ane otouto shibocchau zo! the animation, but seriously don´t watch that. It´s hentai.

Well anyways I know it´s technically not a anime, but I highly recommend the legend of korra,
and avatar the last airbender.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
Here is my top ten anime series, they are all awesome (imo of course)

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Dragon Ball Z
4. Outlaw Star
5. Claymore
6. Kanon
7. Ghost in the Shell (not the series, but the movie)
8. Mobile Suite Gundam: 8th MS Team
9. Eden of the East
10. Blue Submarine No. 6

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Full Metal Alchemist (Dub)
Full Metal Alchemist Conqueror of Shamballa (Dub)
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (Dub)
Full Metal Alchemist Sacred Star of Milos (Dub)

Attack on Titan (Japanese)
Soul Eater (Dub)
Sword Art Online (Once the elf arch starts it sucks)

Dragon Ball Z
ew. dubbed anime? what are you, a casual?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
ew. dubbed anime? what are you, a casual?
Yea for almost all cases, the sub is obviously better than dub.

Although there are rare occurrences. Plus after watching DBZ on dub, I am unable to watch sub.

Top Bottom