• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Anime Series to Watch?

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Hiya, I'm looking for good anime series to watch. I mostly like Action adventure with a good story. I've fully watched and enjoyed: FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Attack on Titan and Cowboy Bepop. I'm gonna watch any recommendations you guys give me! I'm kind of new to anime so thanks for any of your replays :D

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
If you don't mind something a bit older, I cannot recommend the dub (specifically the dub) of Saiyuki (not Saiyuki: Reload or Reload Gunlock) enough. Easily my favorite show with my favorite cast.

Mekakucity Actors is pretty good, but super confusing even after it ends.

Black Rock Shooter anime was awesome, but the ending was a complete copout.

Humanity Has Declined is super weird, and at times overwhelming, but it's one of the few shows I'm sad to not have more of.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
-If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you might enjoy Samurai Champloo. Both made by the same studio, both critically and popularly acclaimed. It concerns the adventures of a trio of misfits in older school Japan. Samurai Champloo isn't necessarily action-oriented, though does have lots of samurai action. It also has plenty of humour and a bit of delightful anachronistic weirdness.

-If you like ludicrous zany action, try Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill (both made by the same people). The former incorporates heavy elements of mecha, while the latter is more straightforward action. Both are pretty absurd, and constantly try to one-up themselves in terms of action and scale. Not much depth of theme or story, but if you're looking for plain fun series with lots of action and generous humour, then these might be for you.***

-Hunter X Hunter (2011) is an excellent shonen series. It's a reboot of the 90s anime series, and seeks to be more faithful to the manga. It's about to go on hiatus at 148 episodes due to catching up with the manga, but that only means you have 148 episodes to watch. While shonen (i.e. aimed for younger audiences), HH is intelligent, with a unique ability system, a more cerebral approach to action and combat, and while the show is usually colorful and bright, it often veers into surprising darkness (i.e. periodic gore and violence, as well as psychological darkness).

-You might also enjoy Code Geass, a mecha-genre anime in which a mastermind tries to bring down an empire. Lots of twists and turns, and tons of mecha action (and the series resolution was great). Death Note is often compared to Code Geass, what with a young bright man using their gifts to perpetuate their wills, though Death Note is far darker and bleaker than Geass.

So here are six series you might enjoy, given the shows you list in your opening post. I enjoyed them all heartily. Perhaps you will too. 8D

***KLK has received somewhat polarized reception. Because the show's premise concerns clothing, nudity, and the relationship between them and sense of selves, there's a lot of "fanservice" (i.e. lots of skimpy outfits, skin shots, and so on). This might be bothersome or distracting at face value, but KLK is self-aware enough so that it isn't gratuitous, and all the so-termed fanservice works in service to the story (and there's equal-opportunity skimpiness, so everyone wins!).

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
My only problem with KLK was that the ending (last few episodes) seemed super rushed and had poor pacing, like they should've been stretched out another episode or so. Aside from that, it was one of my favorite series that I've seen in a while.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
My only problem with KLK was that the ending (last few episodes) seemed super rushed and had poor pacing, like they should've been stretched out another episode or so. Aside from that, it was one of my favorite series that I've seen in a while.
I recall that KLK was originally supposed to be 25 episodes long, but got cut back to 24 partway through. I suspect this is why the last 1-2 episodes seemed rushed (in that the last episode is basically the Final Battle, with hardly any denouement). This was my only real gripe with the series as well.

However, there is reason to rejoice; next month (September) will see the release of a KLK OVA. We may therefore get some expanded resolution that the main series couldn't offer (whether by choice, or due to lack of time). 8D

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
That would explain things, and here's hoping the OVA is just as crazy as the show!

And also contains more Takarada because he was the best character.

Some really good recommendations in this thread already (Gurren Lagann, Yu Yu Hakusho, Samurai Champloo.)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is pretty good. The manga has been going on for ages, but only the first 3 parts have been animated so far. Still, I recommend checking that out.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
Slayers (90s classic) - It's satire of the typical fantasy genre. I'd personally recommend watching it dubbed because the VAing is SUPERB.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) - Probably the best shounen I've ever seen.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
One Piece might be up your alley, too, if you're in the mood for a show that won't end until the heat death of the universe.

It takes a bit to get going nicely, but once it does, it doesn't seem to stop. (Saying 'seem' because I'm super far behind myself, and just going off of what a buddy told me)

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I'm not really an anime sort of guy. But I have watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is an acquired taste. I do like it for it's innovation.
JoJo is also a lot of fun but that entire manga hasn't been nearly animated yet (and might not ever be).
Parts 1 and 2 are in anime form and half of part 3 is with the other half coming later this year.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure everyone knows about this one but Sword Art Online is an amazing anime.
Sword Art Online has its epic heights and quite a few entertaining moments, but for what it is, you're better off watching it at least through the first arc. The second arc drops any bits of scant integrity and semi-competent writing the show had and tops it off with a **** strudel of cliches, cringe, and asspulls. I will say that if you want to watch SAO II, at least the aftermath of the second arc is important to understand the story.

TL;DR If you are interested in SAO, best to watch it whilst watching another show. The substance will hit you quick.

Anyways, some personal recommendations, which you can take based on what you like:

Fate/Zero: Adapted off a series of novels within the Fate/ franchise of light novels, Fate/Zero is a prequel to the franchise inhibitor, Fate/stay night. Without getting overly elaborate explaining the plot and setting, there is a magical ritual called the Holy Grail War that is performed by three clans of mages in order to seek the victor of the Grail War's one true wish. Eight masters are selected by the Grail and they must summon 1 servant from the 8 classes (Saber, Archer, Lancer, Rider, Caster, Berserker, Assassin). There are a lot more rules to the Grail War that make it easier to understand, but I won't get into them. The series is a rollercoaster of action, subterfuge, and philosophy that hits you with all sorts of twists and revelations from start to finish. Besides a bit of Inaction Sequence here and there, the fight scenes are some of the most gorgeous and fluid I've seen in recent memory. The strategies the characters employ are actually intelligent. Not to mention the society it crafts, where how magic magecraft works and operates so well that it would be believable coming out of a textbook. When most media wants to hit you over the head with an anvil of heroic philosophy, Fate/Zero deconstructs concepts of heroism, kingship, etc., and gives some compelling food for thought. Just be warned is pretty dark (written by Gen Urobochi) and it won't reel back its boot when there's a dog to kick. Nonetheless, this is one of my favorite animes of all time.
Black Lagoon(: The Second Barrage): This action seinen date by a good decade and a half like most other anime of the 2000s boom. In fact, it's currently being shown on Adult Swim, which reels a lot of new viewers in. Black Lagoon revolves around the misadventures of the Lagoon Company, a group of pirate mercenaries offering their illegal services in Southeast Asia. This show takes you into the underbelly of the criminal underworld of Roanapour and beyond. You'd think its corrupt setting would make the show too chaotic and stagnant. But the interactions between the characters and various crime syndicates make it more of a community with its own inclinations. If you like Cowboy Bebop, the semi-episodic format and character concentration will pull you in. The main cast is entertaining enough and offers opposing shades that serve to compliment each other. I'm sure you may be familiar with series postergirl, Revy, the ****-talking, gun-totting, depraved mercenary. She has to be one of the most begrudging anime characters I've ever seen. She comprises everything I hate. Yet she pulls it off so convincingly that she is somehow enlightened by her dark aura.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Neon Genesis Evangellion of the magical girl genre. I mean, freaking Gen Uorbochi wrote this baby! It's about a group of teenaged girls who find a cute little creature called Kyubey, who grants them a wish in exchange for awesome magical powers to fight evil entities called witches. It plays itself as straight-faced as it sounds, until you realize the fight for survival really taking place. The sugary, whimsical set pieces and moe character designs brilliantly juxtapose the gritty, depressing atmosphere that hides beneath, gradually surfacing. The girls may not be the most developed heroines, they're pretty likable and you may come to feel sympathy for them as they endure the grief they're subjected to. It's around 12 episodes, so you will be able to finish it within one day. This does not count the 3rd movie, which continues the story, but may screw with your perceptions of a certain character after the first series ties its threads by the end.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I recently finished Madoka Magica (though I haven't touched the movies yet). I can also vouch that it's pretty sweet, though the degree of your enjoyment will indeed depend on how much you'll like or appreciate the cutesy whimsy "magical girl" window-dressing (and by the "Magical Girl" genre, we're talking about stuff like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura). I do think that the underlying, almost nihilistic grittiness wonderfully offsets any saccharine quality to the sights of young girls in chic costumes fighting with magic.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I unanimously agree, Sehnsucht. It's an unspoken rule of anime that your first couple of episodes should introduce the world and characters through exploring situations apart from the plot. This is given that the plot will "kick in" eventually, (e.g., Bleach doesn't move until 17). Why is this important about Madoka Magica? It's first 3 episodes are played straight-faced as if it is your run-of-the-mill magical girl show. You should be able to judge where it's headed by the end of the third.

Last edited:

BigBossJelly

Smash Rookie
NNID
64supermario
3DS FC
0387-8778-1783
Some good ones that were already mentioned:
Hunter X Hunter (2011)
One Piece
Yu Yu Hakusho
Gurren Lagann
Space Dandy

I think I'll just add to that list with Baccano

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Futur Diary [Make sure to watch the OVA too]
Blassreiter
Basilisk
Sword Art Online

Gantz, Elfen Lied and Samurai Champloo were ok too...overrated, but their music is awesome. No harm done watching these either.

Last edited:

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Man I actually didn't like Madoka Magica Rebellion. It was like they took all that I believed in and stomped on it into little dirty pieces and made it die a horrible death. The original series was good, doe.

Mekaku City Actors gotta be one of my favorites. Only problem was how rushed it was at the end. Literally, it's like "Bruh. Bruh. Bruh. BRuh. BRuh. BRUH. End." Like, I'm still confused to this date and I finished the anime a month ago. And then there was the thing in how all the Vocaloid songs were not actually sung by Vocaloids except for Moon Viewing Recital. Other than that, great anime based off of a great Vocaloid song series.

Now... Action Adventure huh. I'm actually a Slice of Life kinda guy (Love Live all de way bruh) so a lot of my recommendations might have a bit of Slice of Life.

Well, maybe a lot, but hey. Action is pretty cool sometimes.

Angel Beats! was the anime that broke my otaku virginity if you don't count the Pokemon anime cuz I actually never watched Digimon Naruto or DBZ as a kid. Angel Beats! is like, 50% action, 10% fluff, 5% slice of life, and 35% comedy. Pretty damn good, would watch it again if I actually enjoyed rewatching shows.

If you're like "meh bruh" on the adventure part-ish, Chuunibyou is a pretty nice slice-of-life anime with a lot of comedy and a bit of "action" (in which by "action" means... well, you know what I mean if you watch it). I think they actually made a Smash reference in the anime once, made the anime like 5 times better in my eyes from the one quote. I mean, you did say that you were a big fan of the Action genre, but bruh, if you wanna chill a bit and relax watchin' sum anime rather than have your heart pumping every second (Which is pretty good not gonna lie), then watch Chuunibyou cuz it's coo' as heck.

Date A Live is pretty cool. Got a lot of action in it with a bit of slice of life dating harem ****, but you got sum girls that I think aren't scantily clad goin' around tryin' ta killing each other about every episode or two so it's pretty cool. Actually haven't finished the anime, started the first episode yesterday, but I've been reading the Light Novel and the plotline gets real good. Only real problem is that MC is like swimmin' in the ***** but he's currently not picking anyone yet pls-erino ship-erino

SAO-orino pls-orino. SAO is the swaggiest anime because Kirito is baller AF. He gets all the girls, ends up picking one, still gets all the other girls to go on him, kills everything, and again still ends up sounding like he's 25 rather than 16. And then SAO II is here and you got Sinon and don't even get me started about Sinon 'kay

Madoka Magica is pretty good not gonna lie. So is Mekakucity Actors. But I've already explained that.

Welp that's my list gl hf and gg don't die in the quicksand of otakus kay

Rythmic

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zadester
I've just started watching One Piece a couple of months ago. I'm on like season 4 or something now... It's a really good action/adventure story with a big part of the show being friendship (don't worry it's not all up in your face kind of way, it's more subtle but still there.) All the fights, that I've seen so far, have been awesome and really big and cool. All the characters are likable with different personalities, interesting side characters, interesting lore about some of the islands, the story isn't hard to follow at all. Not a lot of filler and when there is they are still quite entertaining. One Piece also has a really good sense of humour too! It's a really good watch. I'd recommend it to ANYONE who likes watching anime :D

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
I'm pretty sure everyone knows about this one but Sword Art Online is an amazing anime.
I checked out Sword Art Online and it's first three episodes were great... But I lose interest quickly after that. It just went down hill :/

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
OMG THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING!! I'm gonna be really for the months. Got a lot of anime to watch. I've checked out One piece and it's really good! I'm on episode 54 and I'm just loving this adventure lol. The characters are great. Thanks! I'll be watching ALL these series you guys suggested!!! :D

Rythmic

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zadester
OMG THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING!! I'm gonna be really for the months. Got a lot of anime to watch. I've checked out One piece and it's really good! I'm on episode 54 and I'm just loving this adventure lol. The characters are great. Thanks! I'll be watching ALL these series you guys suggested!!! :D
Yay! ^_^ Enjoy it! It's awesome! :D

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Yay! ^_^ Enjoy it! It's awesome! :D
I don't know how I've never looked into One Piece before! Buggy the Clown, Baraite and Arlong Park! <------ amazing arcs! And how there still real advent after they ended! It's a great blend of characters and action! ITS AWESOME! ^_^

Rythmic

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zadester
I don't know how I've never looked into One Piece before! Buggy the Clown, Baraite and Arlong Park! <------ amazing arcs! And how there still real advent after they ended! It's a great blend of characters and action! ITS AWESOME! ^_^
Omg! I LOVE the Arlong park arc :D Have you seen all of the arc yet? If not we shouldnt talk about, I dont wanna spoil it for you :p

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Omg! I LOVE the Arlong park arc :D Have you seen all of the arc yet? If not we shouldnt talk about, I dont wanna spoil it for you :p
Yeah I finished the arc. After seeing it it made Nami my fave character xD

Rythmic

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zadester
Yeah I finished the arc. After seeing it it made Nami my fave character xD
Right next to Luffy of course!
Yeah, Nami really grew in that arc, which made her more then just a sex appeal for the show in my opinion! It gave her depth which I really like :D Usopp though man, he had such a BIG character development in that arc too. The Arlong park arc was a GREAT arc!

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Yeah I've seen pictures of Nami in the time skip (if you haven't seen it look at it in google images, it's not gonna spoil anything) and Jesus! Wtf was the character artist thinking? xD they oversexulized her to pieces!
And Ussop is awesome to! xD

Rythmic

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zadester
Yeah I've seen pictures of Nami in the time skip (if you haven't seen it look at it in google images, it's not gonna spoil anything) and Jesus! Wtf was the character artist thinking? xD they oversexulized her to pieces!
And Ussop is awesome to! xD
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the redesign but at least she can still kick ass, even if it seems all her fat as somehow been sucked up into her breasts :/

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Also, Oliver, if you're still looking for more recommendations, I have a list that's about a bloody mile long I could toss your way.

Reloadnrepeat

Smash Rookie
My favorites are, in no particular order
  • Nichijou
    • a comedy slice of life, top notch animation all around
  • Kill la Kill
    • amazing when you are in the mood for mindless action, ****ty ending though
  • Space Dandy
    • I'm only 3 episodes into this and I love it so far, funny 4th wall breaking boob jokes is a good way to describe it
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    • You've already watched this, good job

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Sword Art Online has its epic heights and quite a few entertaining moments, but for what it is, you're better off watching it at least through the first arc. The second arc drops any bits of scant integrity and semi-competent writing the show had and tops it off with a **** strudel of cliches, cringe, and asspulls. I will say that if you want to watch SAO II, at least the aftermath of the second arc is important to understand the story.

TL;DR If you are interested in SAO, best to watch it whilst watching another show. The substance will hit you quick.

Anyways, some personal recommendations, which you can take based on what you like:

Fate/Zero: Adapted off a series of novels within the Fate/ franchise of light novels, Fate/Zero is a prequel to the franchise inhibitor, Fate/stay night. Without getting overly elaborate explaining the plot and setting, there is a magical ritual called the Holy Grail War that is performed by three clans of mages in order to seek the victor of the Grail War's one true wish. Eight masters are selected by the Grail and they must summon 1 servant from the 8 classes (Saber, Archer, Lancer, Rider, Caster, Berserker, Assassin). There are a lot more rules to the Grail War that make it easier to understand, but I won't get into them. The series is a rollercoaster of action, subterfuge, and philosophy that hits you with all sorts of twists and revelations from start to finish. Besides a bit of Inaction Sequence here and there, the fight scenes are some of the most gorgeous and fluid I've seen in recent memory. The strategies the characters employ are actually intelligent. Not to mention the society it crafts, where how magic magecraft works and operates so well that it would be believable coming out of a textbook. When most media wants to hit you over the head with an anvil of heroic philosophy, Fate/Zero deconstructs concepts of heroism, kingship, etc., and gives some compelling food for thought. Just be warned is pretty dark (written by Gen Urobochi) and it won't reel back its boot when there's a dog to kick. Nonetheless, this is one of my favorite animes of all time.
Just started Fate/Zero and I gotta say it is awesome compared to the original series it is a prequel of! Obviously since it is newer, the graphics are crisper but the storyline is so much better! Plus much more engaging! And I always wanted to find out about Kiritsugu so it makes it even much better. By the way nice avatar :)

Isn't a UBW anime of Fate/Stay Night coming out this year? By Ufotable? As well as a HF movie later on.

To other people:

I ain't much of an anime watcher, a manga person myself so can't give too many recommendations because some animes really butcher the original storylines!

But I would definitely recommend Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood since it follows the manga really really closely so that makes it much more epic in my opinion. Plus I watched a few episodes myself and they were great!

And obviously anime only series are series that I have got to watch so Gurren Lagann and Neon Genesis Evangelion are on my list. Although tons of games and mangas to burn through and only so much time!

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Thanks for checking F/Z out! I haven't seen or read F/SN yet, but the Ufotable remake + movie this fall will make that all better. Definitely one of the most engaging, tenacious, and dark stories in recent memory.

Also, definitely recommend Brotherhood. That one's in my top animes. My stepbro and I are 3 episodes away from finishing our run. It's great to relive the epicness of that series.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Thanks for checking F/Z out! I haven't seen or read F/SN yet, but the Ufotable remake + movie this fall will make that all better. Definitely one of the most engaging, tenacious, and dark stories in recent memory.

Also, definitely recommend Brotherhood. That one's in my top animes. My stepbro and I are 3 episodes away from finishing our run. It's great to relive the epicness of that series.
Yea I had played Fate/Stay Night all 3 routes and then watched the anime, plus the Unlimited Blade Works movie. So I just had Fate/Zero remaining so started watching it and then I found this thread!

I am not in a hurry to watch Brotherhood as I already read the manga but it is on my list. Just to see those epic scenes come to life in animation :)

Top Bottom