• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gonna test Sonic. (Update)

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
There are some smashers that are importing Brawl from Japan in my area. Since that's the case I thought of a idea. Since I will be playing brawl earlier, I decided to contribute to the Sonic board.

I will be testing Sonic and I will be testing him with a competitive mindset. I will squeeze as much power and tricks out of him as I can. This is my first time going all out on a certain character so please try to show some support or encouragement. ( I hope they unlocked him so I can be able to do this). If I end up going, i'm going to make a different thread with all the stuff I learned.

Should I also make match videos with me playing? Just asking.

Remember, I'm planning this for the future so let me know what you think. If all goes well, I will be able to play this before March 9th.

kma23

Smash Apprentice
There are some smashers that are importing Brawl from Japan in my area. Since that's the case I thought of a idea. Since I will be playing brawl earlier, I decided to contribute to the Sonic board.

I will be testing Sonic and I will be testing him with a competitive mindset. I will squeeze as much power and tricks out of him as I can. This is my first time going all out on a certain character so please try to show some support or encouragement. ( I hope they unlocked him so I can be able to do this). If I end up going, i'm going to make a different thread with all the stuff I learned.

Should I also make match videos with me playing? Just asking.

Remember, I'm planning this for the future so let me know what you think. If all goes well, I will be able to play this before March 9th.
You do know the wii has region protection.

holizz

Smash Cadet
Sonic is pretty cool.

In terms of tricks, my friend and I managed to get around every block of land in Hyrule, in both directions. The only difficult ones were the top-right block going anti-clockwise, and the bottom-left block going clockwise. They are possible, but it's really difficult to reproduce.

holizz

Smash Cadet
Tell the difference between Sonic's side B and down B.
That's easy. The down B works like in the Sonic games: hold down and repeatedly tap B to charge. Side B just makes you spin when you let go (no charging).

They both work a little like Jigglypuff's and Yoshi's spinning attacks, except you can jump out of it if you haven't already used up your second jump. It's quite difficult to get out of if you can't jump, I find.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
while many competitive smashers are getting their hands on brawl already, i guess any competitive impressions can help this early on. i already played it at pound 3 and already have competitive sonic impressions on my site here: http://followingrevolution.com/?p=546

I also posted em on smashboards somewhere, but i dont feel like looking for it. il also make a new topic since iforgot to put it ehre in the sonic area. theres a lot of overall brawl impressions, but a big section that just talks about sonic

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Ok I got to see how Sonic was for myself. First off, I can't wait to have this game in my hands on March 9th. After playing this, i'm sticking with Sonic as a main no matter what. I had so much fun playing with Sonic.

Sonic at a glance

First off, he is really fast on the ground. I tested his speed on Final Destination and he got to the other end of the stage in seconds. At this point, he dominates everybody in terms of speed (well, he is the fastest thing alive). This can be a problem if you can't control it though. I personally didn't have much problems controlling Sonic after a match or two but, it is a concern for those who wants to use him.

Sonic can combo very well and can rack up damage fast. Good thing because, his power is on the weaker side of things as far as percentages is concerned. He has decent knockback on some of his moves. Sonic's air speed is decent, not as fast as I initially thought. However, his aerials are pretty good. I can already see his Bair be used by many people to finish off juggles. His Fair hit's mulitiple times and the final hit does have some knockback. His Uair is good for juggles. Everyone should know how his Dair works by now, however I managed to sweetspot the ledge with this. It's really powerful and it can be used as an edgeguard just upb to cancel it's animation so you won't go to far down.

His fsmash does have alot of knockback, although there is some lag before it connects. His Usmash hits multiple times before it sends foes flying. Dsmash hits on both sides. I still didn't find a chainthrow for Sonic yet though.

His B moves are weird at first but you'll get used to them. Despite looks, there are some differences with his spin attacks. His neutral b is his homing attack and it homes in on your enemies. Due to this homing properties, it can be used as an edgeguard or for recovery. My opponents underestimated this and I got some kills with it. Side b is his spin dash, he winds up at first then dashes at them. You can then jump during the attack for a followup with an aerial. His down b is his spin charge, hold down and tap b as fast as you can(just like old times lol). The more you tap b the faster he'll go. You can also change direction while spinning around, don't worry it's easy to control. His upb is his spring which is his recovery move. You can do anything after it except for another b move. It can also be used during ground to aerial combos as well so don't be shy about using the spring to continue your juggles.

An interesting thing popped up in one of my matches. Me and my friend was playing on Corneria and he was using Falco. It was his last stock and we both was on the right side of the stage. I pressured his Falco to the wall with the side b and quickly canceled the jump to Fair so i could quickly land. He shielded it then I did the same thing again and he used his shield again. This time however, I got really close to Falco, used down b and tapped as fast as I could. The minute I let go, his shield broke and was dizzied. After finishing him off, he screamed WTF HOW DID YOU BREAK MY SHIELD LIKE THAT?! Now this requires more testing though before this is even called official, but it's just something to mention.

Overall, Sonic is a very good character. Most likely I'm making another thread going in-depth on Sonic options and moves in the near future. This was just my first impressions on Sonic. I couldn't get any videos on my first playthough but the next time I play Brawl, I will at least have some footage of my skill with Sonic in a match. There is still more testing to be done. Be prepared though if you're gonna use Sonic because he is really not a easy character to master. Your gonna need to master his speed in order to even think about using him.

Top Bottom