• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Goku, the Martial Arts Master monkey around!

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
What's funny is that I've been a Dragon Ball fan for as long as I've known about the series and it was a major part of my childhood, and Goku is still my favorite character from Dragon Ball.

HOWEVER, he has no place in Smash as he is not a game character.

So, it's actually funny to see "a Goku" from Nintendo's side. The whether or not he's a video game character is the only argument that I'd see being the issue here. ALSO HOWEVER, this seems to be more of a character heavily inspired by Sun Wukong, just as DB's Son Goku is, and not a literal game interpretation of him.

I can actually see this working, and am very much up for it. Also, telling people Goku is in Smash would be quite the riot.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yeah, it'll be quite the riot to tell people that Goku is in Smash only to see their disappointment in seeing it's not their Goku.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
If Street Fighter's Ryu returns and the Yuyuki Goku shows up, I'd like Ryu be reminded of SonSon or mistake the Yuyuki Goku for SonSon for a special victory quote. It would be a nice reference to the SonSon character(s) and the series of the same name.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Sure, I would love this Goku, let's get some Famicom Disc system representation in Smash.

Also, did anyone ever make a translation patch for his game?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sure, I would love this Goku, let's get some Famicom Disc system representation in Smash.

As far as I know, there’s no translation, not even a subbed playthrough on YouTube. A shame if you ask me, I’d really like to get to experience the stories of Yuyuki and Shin Onigashima.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
As far as I know, there’s no translation, not even a subbed playthrough on YouTube. A shame if you ask me, I’d really like to get to experience the stories of Yuyuki and Shin Onigashima.
Well, somebody translated Famicom Detective Club, maybe we can get a community together for translating Famicom Disc System games.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
There are lots of Famicom games to represent Smash Bros. We don't really need one that can be mistaken for Kakarot.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We don’t really need anything. It just happens that the people on this thread would really want Goku in.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
True. People on this thread are supporting Yuyuki Goku. But right now, I really wish I could start a thread for Dragon Ball Goku. I would if it weren't for the rule about characters having to debut on a video game to have newcomer speculation threads. Smash Boards considers Goku to be an anime character that's off-limits to Super Smash Bros even though the most overrepresented series Pokémon has more anime episodes than the Dragon Ball franchise and Lucario debuted in a movie a whole year before Diamond and Pearl came out. And before Cloud made it into Smash 4, people say he has no chance because he's never been on a Nintendo system. In fact people are accusing Cloud's inclusion as a rule breaker. We have a thread for Sora even though Sora is owned by Disney, a company known for movies and Kingdom Hearts has Disney movie characters and Mickey Mouse cartoon characters playing major roles. James Bond was considered for Melee. R.O.B. was actually a toy. Mr. Game & Watch wasn't a distinct character before Melee. Roy came in Melee before his own game. Plus, look at how many Dragon Ball games there are. There are Dragon Ball fighting series such as Budokai and Xenoverse. I seriously don't get why Goku from Dragon Ball Z isn't valid for newcomer speculation. In fact I feel like Dragon Ball Goku is a more likely choice than Yuyuki Goku because Nintendo would need to go to Toei if they want to put a "Goku" in the game and make an amiibo labeled correctly. Why would Toei give the trademark to the Yuyuki Goku if they can make more money off of Dragon Ball?

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386

I'd say bring any of Famicom disc system material for Smash. Heck, it could lead to their revival from dormancy.

For as I know, there's no fan translation of Yuyuki.

True. People on this thread are supporting Yuyuki Goku. But right now, I really wish I could start a thread for Dragon Ball Goku. I would if it weren't for the rule about characters having to debut on a video game to have newcomer speculation threads. Smash Boards considers Goku to be an anime character that's off-limits to Super Smash Bros even though the most overrepresented series Pokémon has more anime episodes than the Dragon Ball franchise and Lucario debuted in a movie a whole year before Diamond and Pearl came out. And before Cloud made it into Smash 4, people say he has no chance because he's never been on a Nintendo system. In fact people are accusing Cloud's inclusion as a rule breaker. We have a thread for Sora even though Sora is owned by Disney, a company known for movies and Kingdom Hearts has Disney movie characters and Mickey Mouse cartoon characters playing major roles. James Bond was considered for Melee. R.O.B. was actually a toy. Mr. Game & Watch wasn't a distinct character before Melee. Roy came in Melee before his own game. Plus, look at how many Dragon Ball games there are. There are Dragon Ball fighting series such as Budokai and Xenoverse. I seriously don't get why Goku from Dragon Ball Z isn't valid for newcomer speculation. In fact I feel like Dragon Ball Goku is a more likely choice than Yuyuki Goku because Nintendo would need to go to Toei if they want to put a "Goku" in the game and make an amiibo labeled correctly. Why would Toei give the trademark to the Yuyuki Goku if they can make more money off of Dragon Ball?
If the devs says no, Dragon Ball Goku's not getting in. We can toss all the semi-official and fan rules around that we like, but it doesn't matter. I understand that the devs' minds can change and I am open to it, but we have had that option of Dragon Ball's Goku get dismissed rather quickly by the devs. I think we should respect that to a reasonable degree.

On the name only issue, this is trivial at best because we have clear differences between the two Gokus. In this case, you have Yuyuki Goku who consistently uses a bo staff, some magic, and is still a monkey. With Dragon Ball's Goku, we have a humanoid alien who started out with a magic staff and ki energy attacks who transforms into a giant ape with the moon out. That same Goku ditched the tail and staff, got older, found mental and hair color changing transformations, and kept ki energy. The two Gokus are now fairly different.

You have a valid point on the trademark. I can give you that much. But, you can't neglect that you have to take how companies would treat the devs. Sakurai wanted the classic design for Pac-Man in Smash and we got it instead of the newer designs. He had some leverage in that case if Bandai Namco wanted the newer design. I believe I have mentioned this statement earlier.

Another thing. Dragon Ball's Goku being a possibility doesn't outright eliminate Yuyuki Goku from being a possibility, either. There could even be a rare case (which I haven't found, yet.) where both characters name Goku are wanted by somebody.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Look, we can spend all the time in the world discussing whether the possibility for Dragon Ball’s Goku getting in Smash exists or not, but if all you want to do is vent about how unfair it is that he’s not seriously considered, please find another place. This thread’s focus is Yuyuki’s Goku, not Dragon Ball’s.

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, and I’m sure everyone on this thread appreciates the constant bumps your messages give it.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, Roy Koopa didn't stop the Fire Emblem Roy from being DLC in Smash 4, so having two Gokus is definitely possible. But Sakurai had rejected Ridley for being too big and we have an ongoing thread for him. So why is Goku, Shrek, Mickey Mouse and other non-game characters off limits?

Look, we can spend all the time in the world discussing whether the possibility for Dragon Ball’s Goku getting in Smash exists or not, but if all you want to do is vent about how unfair it is that he’s not seriously considered, please find another place. This thread’s focus is Yuyuki’s Goku, not Dragon Ball’s.

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, and I’m sure everyone on this thread appreciates the constant bumps your messages give it.
Okay, I'll stop here. This thread is about Yuyuki anyway.

Last edited:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
It will be a big troll to Goku fly on the nimbus in his trailer and people that wanted Goku from DBZ thinks they got their wish well they got their unexpected wish. They never so it coming, oh what a day that will be....hilarious.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Those people would be really mad. Anger really isn't funny, trust me. But if they discontinue the amiibo line and make Yuyuki Goku a secret character, his inclusion might work.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I don't see how stopping the amiibo line would make that work.
Because trademarks are about merchandising and brands. Toys like amiibo are merchandise. Trademarks don't protect things within a medium, that's copyrights. It was how Shazam continued to call himself Captain Marvel even though his books had to be titled Shazam. And that was why in The Incredibles, Helen Parr was called Elastigirl in the movie but Mrs. Incredible in the merchandise because DC owned a trademark to Elasti-Girl, a member of the Doom Patrol. But Incredibles II merchandise can now use the Elastigirl name because I guess since the Doom Patrol's Elasti-Girl was so underused, the trademark lapsed.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
It's not worth mentioning "keep Dragon Ball Goku out" arguments anymore because that reduces fan bases and creates unnecessary divisions, even if the devs side with the no Dragon Ball Goku a.k.a Kakarot/Kakarotto stance.

The pro Dragon Ball arguments don't hold much water either when the arguments are reduced to "muh popularity" alone. There's more that goes into account than just popularity and those other reasons are not rendered null. I don't want to keep repeating this point or else it's an argumentation from repetition, even if I provide more details on the point.

Those people would be really mad. Anger really isn't funny, trust me. But if they discontinue the amiibo line and make Yuyuki Goku a secret character, his inclusion might work.
Nintendo as far as I'm aware still wants the Amiibo lines to work, so it's likely those aren't going to go away super fast. Second, there's a possibility Toei can respect some one's wishes in licensing in spite of Toei's own. It is called compromising. You can have the Yuyuki Goku still work in the Amiibo scenario. If Toei pushes too much for the Smash devs to accept, the Smash devs just simply not push for this. We have to wait for actuality for this kind of scenario rather than jumping the gun on what Toei would do.

At this point, I'd rather talk about interactions Yuyuki Goku could have with the other cast, the unique moveset he could have compared to the current Smash characters and fun other stuff Smash could toss in. Speaking for myself, having just popular only playable characters are predictably boring and offer no surprises, even taking the Internet into account.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
If event matches do return and we do have Yuyuki's Goku, what events do you see him getting involved in?

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Another retro Nintendo character i would like to see in smash ( the others being Ayumi,Takamaru,and Lip). And just like the majority of the people say in this thread, the Yuyuki Goku will be much easier to get into Smash plus the #1 thing that DBZ Goku has against him is...HE...IS...NOT...A...VIDEO...GAME...CHARACTER. Hate to say it that way but he`s not, and if DBZ Goku did get into Smash it will turn the entire series into the complete opposite direction.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Would be more appropriate than for her to still be voicing Adult Goku.

That said, it’d probably be better if the two Gokus differentiated themselves as much as possible.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Would be more appropriate than for her to still be voicing Adult Goku.

That said, it’d probably be better if the two Gokus differentiated themselves as much as possible.
Yeah, you might have a point there. I guess with all the talk about "Yuyuki!Goku would be the ultimate troll character for Dragon Ball!Goku Smash fans", it just made me wonder, you know?

Anyways, I have another question, guys. If Goku's added to Smash, should he and Chao be an Ice Climbers-style duo? Personally, I REALLY want to see that.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yeah, you might have a point there. I guess with all the talk about "Yuyuki!Goku would be the ultimate troll character for Dragon Ball!Goku Smash fans", it just made me wonder, you know?

Anyways, I have another question, guys. If Goku's added to Smash, should he and Chao be an Ice Climbers-style duo? Personally, I REALLY want to see that.
Is Chao the Yuyuki version of Chiaotzu?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Is Chao the Yuyuki version of Chiaotzu?
Actually, Chao is FAR from being Yuyuki's version of Chiaotzu.

Basically, Chao was star-gazing one night, and among the shooting stars, she spotted an asteroid crash-landing near her village. When she went to investigate the mysterious asteroid, it cracked open to reveal none other than Yuyuki!Goku, who crashed onto Earth from the 'Heavenly Realm', and from there, she came to adopt Goku, who was originally wild and unruly, but after spending enough time with her, he came to be more and more of a good person through her influence.

Honestly, I GUESS you could say that she's actually more closer to being Yuyuki's equivalent to Grandpa Gohan than of Chiaotzu.

Also, this is what she looks like.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Those people would be really mad. Anger really isn't funny, trust me.
Anger can be extremely funny.

Because trademarks are about merchandising and brands. Toys like amiibo are merchandise. Trademarks don't protect things within a medium, that's copyrights. It was how Shazam continued to call himself Captain Marvel even though his books had to be titled Shazam. And that was why in The Incredibles, Helen Parr was called Elastigirl in the movie but Mrs. Incredible in the merchandise because DC owned a trademark to Elasti-Girl, a member of the Doom Patrol. But Incredibles II merchandise can now use the Elastigirl name because I guess since the Doom Patrol's Elasti-Girl was so underused, the trademark lapsed.
There are a number of long time characters from the G.I. Joe and transformer toylines that they've lost the rights to use the names of. Jazz and Lifeline are examples. However all they have to do is call their toy "Autobot Jazz" and "Codename Lifeline" and they're set.

If you can't sell an amibo as Goku you can still sell it as Yuyuki Goku.

However you can still sell an amibo as Goku. Son Goku is a character from a public domain novel. Anyone can use the name. Just like anyone can make a movie or comic book starring Thor the God of thunder. They just can't use MARVEL's version of Thor.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So Yuyuki Goku is an alien? When will the DBZ similarities end?
I know, right? Though, I should mention that Yuyuki!Goku is NOT an alien, but more of a god-like being. Then again, Dragon Ball Super...

I should mention, I'm pretty sure Yuyuki was released during Dragon Ball's infancy, so I don't THINK the similarities were intentional...

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I support! It’d be hilarious is Nintendo thought all the ballot votes for “Goku” were for this monkey, and added him!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Yo, it's the OG supporter for the Yuyuki Goku here. Just wanted to drop in and see what people think about the lil' guy. I don't really think that this was ever plausible but anything can happen. Thanks to anyone who's ever supported the guy whether they actually liked him as a character or just thought it'd be funny to piss off DBZ fans.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I don't think it's funny to tick off DBZ fans. Look at how Waluigi fans reacted when they saw him as an Assist Trophy. Would you want the Dragon Ball fans to harass Sakurai for adding a Goku that wasn't what they wanted?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I don't think it's funny to tick off DBZ fans. Look at how Waluigi fans reacted when they saw him as an Assist Trophy. Would you want the Dragon Ball fans to harass Sakurai for adding a Goku that wasn't what they wanted?
Dude I'm pretty sure both Gokus have very little chance of getting into Smash and Sakurai gets harassed regardless of who he adds since there's always another character that people want. I'm pretty sure most people who play Smash would find it hilarious anyway that this Goku would be put in Smash, especially since its been a meme since the beginning to add DBZ Goku into Smash. Plus Goku and DBZ have plenty of fighting games anyway.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, there is still that trademark problem with the Amiibos which was confirmed at E3. And packaging him as "Yuyuki Goku" would be like labeling the Samus amiibo as "Metroid Samus." Unlike "Robin" who's named after a bird and is a generic name, (which is why they didn't need DC's permission) Goku is heavily associated with Dragon Ball Z so they may need Toei's permission.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

I think I'd rather see that sort of duo gimmick for another obscure Famicom duo in Donbe and Hikari from Shin Onigashima. Goku by himself already has a lots of potential with his staff, kung fu, and flying nimbus. (I know this is an old comment, but I wanted to add my thoughts)
Well, there is still that trademark problem with the Amiibos which was confirmed at E3. And packaging him as "Yuyuki Goku" would be like labeling the Samus amiibo as "Metroid Samus." Unlike "Robin" who's named after a bird and is a generic name, (which is why they didn't need DC's permission) Goku is heavily associated with Dragon Ball Z so they may need Toei's permission.
There wouldn't really be a problem. Goku from Yuyuki and DBZ Goku are based off the Journey to the West, a well known classic Chinese book. The name came from the Japanese name for the character Son Wukong in that public domain book. There are plenty of things based on Journey to the West that don't have to ask the DBZ creators for permission to use the name. If Yuyuki Goku was based on Goku from DBZ, which he's not, then they would have to ask for permission. The only reason why either Goku shares similarities with each other is because of the fact they both are based off Sun Wukong. It's not like Yuyuki's can go Super Saiyan

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Did you know that even though Cinderella is a public domain character, she's trademarked by Disney, which is why the Cinderella card from Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 5 was renamed Prinzessin in the TCG. The public domain doesn't stop trademarks when a name is known for a really popular adaptation. And since Yuyuki is an obscure game and Dragon Ball Z is the most successful anime series, Toei's lawyers could interfere with the Yuyuki amiibo.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Did you know that even though Cinderella is a public domain character, she's trademarked by Disney, which is why the Cinderella card from Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 5 was renamed Prinzessin in the TCG. The public domain doesn't stop trademarks when a name is known for a really popular adaptation. And since Yuyuki is an obscure game and Dragon Ball Z is the most successful anime series, Toei's lawyers could interfere with the Yuyuki amiibo.
If it really matters that much they can just call him Sun Wukong.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yo, it's the OG supporter for the Yuyuki Goku here. Just wanted to drop in and see what people think about the lil' guy. I don't really think that this was ever plausible but anything can happen. Thanks to anyone who's ever supported the guy whether they actually liked him as a character or just thought it'd be funny to piss off DBZ fans.
Well, I still support the little monkey. Even if he'd just be a troll addition from Sakurai. Honestly, no matter what Smash game it is, I see Goku being added as a surprise unlockable. Although, considering Sakurai's recent statement about possibly revealing all characters before launch... Well...

I think I'd rather see that sort of duo gimmick for another obscure Famicom duo in Donbe and Hikari from Shin Onigashima. Goku by himself already has a lots of potential with his staff, kung fu, and flying nimbus. (I know this is an old comment, but I wanted to add my thoughts)
Oh, yeah! I almost forgot that Donbe and Hikari could easily fill that kind of role. Still though, I hope Chao makes SOME sort of appearance alongside Goku. I don't think she should be left out.

Top Bottom