• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to a Tournament for the First Time, I'm Faced with a Problem

BBC7

Smash Ace
On December 6, I might be going to my first tournament but I fear that I may not be good enough. It is an Apex qualifier where M2K was apparently confirmed to attend, and that makes me feel quite nervous since I have no former experience in tournaments. The most experience I've had in SSB4 is against my friends, which I don't believe is enough experience to take on somebody such as M2K or anyone else that may be attending, since it's easy to assume that the best of the best will be attending, and I'm not in that group.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
On December 6, I might be going to my first tournament but I fear that I may not be good enough. It is an Apex qualifier where M2K was apparently confirmed to attend, and that makes me feel quite nervous since I have no former experience in tournaments. The most experience I've had in SSB4 is against my friends, which I don't believe is enough experience to take on somebody such as M2K or anyone else that may be attending, since it's easy to assume that the best of the best will be attending, and I'm not in that group.
What do you do when faced with the best? Learn.

When you play better players, learn from them. Playing against the best will allow you to grow in skill, and who knows, you might be better than you thought.

BBC7

Smash Ace
What do you do when faced with the best? Learn.

When you play better players, learn from them. Playing against the best will allow you to grow in skill, and who knows, you might be better than you thought.
I guess that's true, I can't really expect to destroy the competition with 0 experience. Maybe starting off grand will teach me about how the best of the best play and will help me become a better Smasher.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
You're going to get shrekt.

But try anyway because then you keep your dignity.

the8thark

Smash Lord
If I was you I'd practice a little before hand and take the whole event as an experience. If you get wrekt in game, no big deal. Just have fun. And also remember to watch the best players games as well (even if you're not in those matches). To learn from them. Good tournaments are as much about the whole experience as they are about winning.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Definitely get as much training/practice leading up to the tourney. And don't get discouraged if you lose any game! This is the first step to becoming a great player! You should be glad there is such great competition at that tourney, it'll show what you're good/bad at and you'll improve drastically. Who knows you might even meet some cool ppl that can help you. Some people play even better when they're under pressure & nervous.

Remember to have fun & not get down on yourself, be happy and make new homies brah!

Niala

Smash Ace
I feel as though I'm somebody who can appropriately answer this question. I doubt most of you know this, but this summer there was a tournament in Fredericton, New Brunswick (Canada, in case you were thinking near NYC,) that M2K attended. The second I heard he was coming it was somewhat disappointing and exciting at the same time-- as far as Smash goes, he's a celebrity, but at the same time it completely took away any sense of competition. We all already knew who was going to win, and likely who would place, in every game, and it turned out as we expected. The only game he lost in (and I say "lost" in that he lost to SuperBoomFan) was Smash64.

My advice is don't expect to do well. You'll be surprised how many really good players there are. I didn't even get to play m2k in Brawl, which is the only smash game I played competitively prior to Smash4. I only made it to winners semis and lost in the losers there. My point is you likely won't even get to face the people you're afraid of because there are other players who are still really good. It may sound harsh, but don't expect to win. Don't even expect to do well. It's very important that your expectations are realistic, otherwise you'll leave with no intention of going back.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I feel as though I'm somebody who can appropriately answer this question. I doubt most of you know this, but this summer there was a tournament in Fredericton, New Brunswick (Canada, in case you were thinking near NYC,) that M2K attended. The second I heard he was coming it was somewhat disappointing and exciting at the same time-- as far as Smash goes, he's a celebrity, but at the same time it completely took away any sense of competition. We all already knew who was going to win, and likely who would place, in every game, and it turned out as we expected. The only game he lost in (and I say "lost" in that he lost to SuperBoomFan) was Smash64.

My advice is don't expect to do well. You'll be surprised how many really good players there are. I didn't even get to play m2k in Brawl, which is the only smash game I played competitively prior to Smash4. I only made it to winners semis and lost in the losers there. My point is you likely won't even get to face the people you're afraid of because there are other players who are still really good. It may sound harsh, but don't expect to win. Don't even expect to do well. It's very important that your expectations are realistic, otherwise you'll leave with no intention of going back.
Don't worry, I'm already expecting not to do well.

Mandikiri

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mandikiri
I myself have attended tournaments for Brawl quite a lot (which I will be be attending one for Smash 4 on the 22nd). So I'll speak on experienced here. Usually the first tournament someone attends will be nerve wracking (at least it was for me), because the jitters will hit you depending on how it goes on your first match. So you will either lose or win. But don't let that discourage you in
any way, if anything let the experience teach you and make you a better player. Because tournaments are fun, and that's what most people go there for.

You may not win or you may win. All depends on how well you do or how bad you do. But if you go prepared and accept that you might be nervous on your first match. Once that first match is over, you'll do well.

Also when you get to the tournament. Try having some friendlies before the brackets starts. It helps you loosen up a bit, thus preparing you for the tournament. Plus it gives you an insight of how people play or whatnot.

But most of all, have fun and enjoy it there. Make lots of friend.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2

But no, really.
If you try, and you can keep your honor, then you did fine.
I've gone to a tournament, and don't have plans to for a LONG time.
A.K.A. I suck.
If you made it this far, theres no shame in losing.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I say go for it; you've got to start somewhere! But to get the most out of your first tournament, you've got to embrace two seemingly contradictory philosophies: 1) accept that you will get wrecked, and 2) try as hard as you possibly can to win. If you go in expecting to win a lot, you'll always be severely disappointed and will probably get disillusioned enough to waver in your interest in competitive smash. On the other hand, if you just accept that you're going to get bodied by absolutely everyone, then you'll not play your best and won't take as much out of it as you could otherwise. This is a learning experience, so you need to learn what you're good at and what you still need practice with. To do that, you need to be playing your best, even if you're getting spanked.

This goes for entry-level competition in pretty much any competitive event or sport. I don't play SSB competitively, but I played varsity tennis for my high school and had to attend several very competitive regional tournaments where this way of thinking was key. In fact, my coach went out of his way to schedule matches against teams way out of our league. I got schooled most of the time, but I learned a lot when I wasn't too frustrated or mopey. Just keep a cool head and try to get as much out of the tournament as possible, no matter what happens.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
dont expect to win, just go in knowing that this is probably the best way to get better is by playing pro players. You may not win, but playing ppl who are better than you is the best way to get better at any fighting game

PCHU

Smash Lord
Play smart.
Never expect to win, but if it really concerns you, work at ensuring that you don't lose.
It sounds the same, but it's not; really think about your approaches and only do something you know you either have a way out of or have so much of an incentive to do that any punishment you receive (or think you'll receive) is negligible.
I don't camp with gordos because I hate camping with a burning passion, but I do use them to take out options when I approach so that the game is simplified; I'm able to safely poke right outside the mobile "wall", and if my positioning is right, I can either throw them into the gordo or have the gordo break their grab in case they read me (or capitalize on Dedede's terrible recovery frames).

otter

Smash Ace
Don't worry, I'm already expecting not to do well.
Some people go into their first tournament expecting to win, which obviously does not go well. However, there's no need to say you won't do well. You need a realistic expectation of what doing well means to you. If you can win a match, or even take a stock, be happy about that and try to build on it each time.

The more important thing is to play as much casual matches as you can, identify your weaknesses (ask your opponents to help with this), and begin to know what to work on when you get home.

Good luck.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Hey man, its all cool, you'll probably lose but so will everyone else who attends -1 (the 1 is the winner:}

you'll lose with tons of other people.

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
I'm also attending my first tournament on the 22nd (if I can beat this cold!), and while I'm decent now, I know I'll still have my butt handed to me on a silver platter.

Do I care? Nein! It is the joy of the fight that draws me! Let the whipping signify lessons learned, and the forging of new friendships, and possibly people who can actually help me improve!

Enjoy yourself. Don't worry about winning; if you don't lose, how will you ever gain the right experience?

Top Bottom