• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going in Dry.

Cup Noodles

Smash Cadet
Guys, I'm a new Sheik player.

NEW.

As in...what the heck am I doing.
Sheik is a boss, but you have to know how to use her. Top teir characters are only top teir because the people who play them know how they work, and I'm..."okay" at using Sheik, but could use some really good tips.

How can I work on teching better?
What moves really win with her?
How can I win more matches with more options (against other characters, or situations in game) ?

Thanks for the tips

-JTCN

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I am a rookie myself, but I think I have a pretty good idea of how Sheik works and how to play her.
The best advice I can give you is to play alot. And play Sheik alot. And play as many people as possible. The more you play, the more control you get and the more you'll get a grip and understanding of her move set.
When you have control you'll feel more successfull with your choises.
If I were you I'd discard the whole "Play to Win" mindset. Replace it with a more "Play to learn". Well I don't wanna force a mindset on you, but this is how I go about it. When I decided to drop the W goal it took alot of weight off my shoulders and I emediatly started improving much faster. We'll it might just not be the case with you :)

Like I told you in the other thread it's good to know your bread and butter with any character.
You can divide the stock into roughly three.
1st. Dthrow techchase
2nd. Fair setups
3rd. Edge Guarding.

You can call that your cord progression. In reality the game is a jazz duet. So you might get an early edge guard or a late tech chase scenario. You might not get a tech chase the whole stock. You'll push the opponent off the stage while escaping, so none of the above became relevant. BUT go into the match working around the above skeleton is a good goal.
I hope that made sense :)

"How can I work on teching better"
I think/hope you are referring to the technique callled "Tech" which refers to ground teching i.e. being knocked out of the air then pressing L/R before hitting ground to make a quick handstand animation springing on to your feet (quick) OR holding to a side before pressing and holding L/R to make a "tech roll", instead of tumbling around landing laying down which you have to get up from (slow).
You have a pretty large window where you can press the shield button. I'd say just keep attempting and you'll improve no matter what. Know that you can only attempt the tech input ONCE. If you use the shield button twice in succession you will force a missed/none tech.

"What moves really win with her?"
I think you mean attacks, not moves. Sheik's tilts are great, but I think you mean straight up killing moves in which case you're looking for mainly higher stun aerials:

Fair. Bair. Uair. Dsmash.
Occasionally Usmash and Nair.

The real winner of Sheik, though, is her edge guarding game.

If you wanna win beast mode one of the cooler combos is the raw FJ weak Bair Fair.
Inspiration for a lifetime: http://www.gfycat.com/TightBarrenGnu

Last edited:

HM04

Smash Rookie
Using your previous post (http://smashboards.com/threads/my-new-main.364946/#post-17355442) it seems like you've been playing Shiek all of four days. The best advice you can take at this early stage of playing any character is to keep messing around. If you go and read some information and take it as concrete 100% all the time strategy you're impairing yourself from the get go. Give it some more time before you feel like you've run out of your own creativity.

Cup Noodles

Smash Cadet
Using your previous post (http://smashboards.com/threads/my-new-main.364946/#post-17355442) it seems like you've been playing Shiek all of four days. The best advice you can take at this early stage of playing any character is to keep messing around. If you go and read some information and take it as concrete 100% all the time strategy you're impairing yourself from the get go. Give it some more time before you feel like you've run out of your own creativity.
I'll just keep on going with Sheik. I appreciate the Feedback

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
If that's the case, I completely agree with HM04. If you just picked up the game I'd say mess around having no real goal other than playing and having fun. Discover stuff on your own. I feel kinda ashamed to give you a recipe for playing sheik at this point. You should probably disregard my first respose and just freestyle.
If you got any questions about any of the stuff I mentioned though, feel free to ask. I'll gladly explain what I meant.

When I first started playing I couldn't really find any counter part to say Marth Fsmash if you know what I mean.
Sheik Fsmash is so different and does not knock people in the intuitive direction, so what to use instead?
My group of friends all had the same question: How do I kill with Sheik?
The attack/aerial list I posted was what I found works to send people forward or a good amount upwards.

Last edited:

Cup Noodles

Smash Cadet
I am a rookie myself, but I think I have a pretty good idea of how Sheik works and how to play her.
The best advice I can give you is to play alot. And play Sheik alot. And play as many people as possible. The more you play, the more control you get and the more you'll get a grip and understanding of her move set.
When you have control you'll feel more successfull with your choises.
If I were you I'd discard the whole "Play to Win" mindset. Replace it with a more "Play to learn". Well I don't wanna force a mindset on you, but this is how I go about it. When I decided to drop the W goal it took alot of weight off my shoulders and I emediatly started improving much faster. We'll it might just not be the case with you :)

Like I told you in the other thread it's good to know your bread and butter with any character.
You can divide the stock into roughly three.
1st. Dthrow techchase
2nd. Fair setups
3rd. Edge Guarding.

You can call that your cord progression. In reality the game is a jazz duet. So you might get an early edge guard or a late tech chase scenario. You might not get a tech chase the whole stock. You'll push the opponent off the stage while escaping, so none of the above became relevant. BUT go into the match working around the above skeleton is a good goal.
I hope that made sense :)

"How can I work on teching better"
I think/hope you are referring to the technique callled "Tech" which refers to ground teching i.e. being knocked out of the air then pressing L/R before hitting ground to make a quick handstand animation springing on to your feet (quick) OR holding to a side before pressing and holding L/R to make a "tech roll", instead of tumbling around landing laying down which you have to get up from (slow).
You have a pretty large window where you can press the shield button. I'd say just keep attempting and you'll improve no matter what. Know that you can only attempt the tech input ONCE. If you use the shield button twice in succession you will force a missed/none tech.

"What moves really win with her?"
I think you mean attacks, not moves. Sheik's tilts are great, but I think you mean straight up killing moves in which case you're looking for mainly higher stun aerials:

Fair. Bair. Uair. Dsmash.
Occasionally Usmash and Nair.

The real winner of Sheik, though, is her edge guarding game.

If you wanna win beast mode one of the cooler combos is the raw FJ weak Bair Fair.
Inspiration for a lifetime: http://www.gfycat.com/TightBarrenGnu
Dude, I really appreciate the time you put in to help me learn Sheik better. I guess the real deal is how often and how much I play her to where I can land more attacks and just really get a feel of her. I love Sheik, she's a bad A, and it's only a matter of time until I really get the feel of her movesets. Thanks so much, Trip.

Cup Noodles

Smash Cadet
If that's the case, I completely agree with HM04. If you just picked up the game I'd say mess around having no real goal other than playing and having fun. Discover stuff on your own. I feel kinda ashamed to give you a recipe for playing sheik at this point. You should probably disregard my first respose and just freestyle.
If you got any questions about any of the stuff I mentioned though, feel free to ask. I'll gladly explain what I meant.
No problem man! Play for fun, play because you love the game. :) I totally understand

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Here's a decent balance: (I think raw freestyle is a good way to pick up bad habits).

If you get a grab, then down-throw is usually best.
Attacks usually lead into forward air, which is a good thing.

Other than that, freestyle, have fun, discover (especially with those 2 bits) why Sheik is so viable, get a feel for a Sheik gameplay, etc.

Cup Noodles

Smash Cadet
Here's a decent balance: (I think raw freestyle is a good way to pick up bad habits).

If you get a grab, then down-throw is usually best.
Attacks usually lead into forward air, which is a good thing.

Other than that, freestyle, have fun, discover (especially with those 2 bits) why Sheik is so viable, get a feel for a Sheik gameplay, etc.
Thanks, man. ^-^ It's possible to come up with crazy stuff with this character

HM04

Smash Rookie
However, if I could give you one must-have tool for playing Shiek it would be this. Learn to reverse needle cancel so you can get yourself ready to back air people recovery. This kept my Shiek's potential down for the longest time and once I started ensuring my back was facing my opponent when they recovered I had a much easier time against the space animals and lengthy Marth recoveries. If you aren't really aware of what I mentioned it would be pressing the opposite direction you are going (in the air) then holding B (careful not to pull out chain) then pressing R/L to cancel the needle animation. If you do it successfully you should be able to change your direction in mid air pretty easily and doing it right above the ledge will let you grab ledge pretty quick.

Cup Noodles

Smash Cadet
However, if I could give you one must-have tool for playing Shiek it would be this. Learn to reverse needle cancel so you can get yourself ready to back air people recovery. This kept my Shiek's potential down for the longest time and once I started ensuring my back was facing my opponent when they recovered I had a much easier time against the space animals and lengthy Marth recoveries. If you aren't really aware of what I mentioned it would be pressing the opposite direction you are going (in the air) then holding B (careful not to pull out chain) then pressing R/L to cancel the needle animation. If you do it successfully you should be able to change your direction in mid air pretty easily and doing it right above the ledge will let you grab ledge pretty quick.
Sweet, I'll definitely practice that

BO/\K

Smash Apprentice
If you have trouble RNCing try using Z instead of L/R for the cancel. I had trouble doing it until I used Z.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You win by getting the opponent to stand next to you.

Then you grab them.

Unless it's ICs / Jiggs.

Then you do a lot of fair / bair / air needles on platforms.

Top Bottom