• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going easy on someone?

-Cheeto

Smash Rookie
So recently i have been having trouble because my friends dont want to fight me anymore because im too good for them. They want me to go easy on them but i dont know how.. Any suggestions?

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
Maybe set limitations on yourself. For example you could restrict yourself from air dodging or using combos. Try characters you aren't used to, or even set it to random. Let your friend pick the stage every time. Even the in-game handicap works pretty well (however I don't recommend auto handicap). This is the kind of stuff I do when playing with friends. Specifically no combos, random characters, and letting them have stage choice. It's up to you really how easy you need to go.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
What @ tr3v tr3v said is all good advice.

Generally speaking, switching to a character that isn't your main is a big help.

But also keep in mind that you should be helping your friends and telling them how to improve, otherwise the situation will never change. Bring them up to your level! :040:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
It depends on where they are compared to you. difference between someone who knows the game decently but just isn't good and someone who doesn't even own a smash game. The latter case their may be nothing we can do.

Personally, I can't play a game without giving it all i have... I want to improve and deliberately not dodging or whatever doesn't help that. (Exceptions if it is part of some training exercise)

My family, friends, and I like to create rule sets that put better players at a disadvantage at some point... as part of a bigger competition.

Some things we found help:

1. Characters: Could do something like "After any of us win with a character, we can't play it again until next time."

2. Stages: Deliberately chose stages that are bad for your character and/or good for opponents.

3. If the gap is really big, you could do 2 vs 1 matches.

4. point out your tactics: so they can duplicate or counter them better.

Granted, if the objective is to train for a major tournament... most of this isn't a good idea. If the idea is just to have fun, giving advantages to inferior players can make it more enjoyable to everyone.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
I usually switch to a character I am pretty bad with, or have never played before. Also I don't usually follow up on combos. I always try to teach my friends new things so they can get better if they play the game often enough, if they make a common mistake I'll point it out to them and show them alternatives. It's easy to forget that there are some options to take that aren't explicitly laid out, like how holding down lets you not grab the ledge so you can hit someone standing there with an up b, or how there's a ton of options for climbing onto the stage from a ledge.

D

Deleted member 269706

If you enjoy using the same few characters, just try me messing around with new techniques. Like if you use Falcon, try landing more Falcon punches, or if you're using JPuff, land the rest more often. Go for the risky stuff. Try and find uses for the moves that you never really use. I would also suggest slowing your pace, or delaying attacks. Or just learn a new character altogether.

KCB: Cloth

Killer Combro
-Don't roll or airdodge.
-Only land the grab without followups.
or
-Only grab out of (perfect)pivot.

Maybe this will make it more fun for them. Also you could try to have them use faster characters then yours.

Try playing without :GCB: or :GCCN:/:GCA::GCR:

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I just avoid C sticking as much and I will purposely pick suboptimal choices of defense

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
I have to do this with some of my friends too, I usually just stop shielding and be really obvious or open.

holymario

Smash Apprentice
I have the luck that all my friends play on the same level as I do. One of them gets quick in a downwardspiral though ^^ best result so far: beat 27 characters in a row with ganondorf back in brawl. fun fact: almost never used ganonforf. This is now known under the Ganondorf misery when we play together ^^. I just use characters I am bad with and that works. (sometimes XD)

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I tend to just make my tactics cheesy and exploitable when playing with people worse than me. For example, I'll pick Zelda and spam Farore's Wind like a wannabe Kirby boss. Or I'll play Ganondorf and make Flame Choke chases my go-to offence while fishing for Warlock Punches or Volcano Kicks as my kill moves.

luky7dayz

Smash Rookie
NNID
luky7dayz
3DS FC
3024-9260-9272
I normally announce at the start of the match the attack I will use to kill them, and if I get a kill off a different attack I suicide.

Solar~Beam

Smash Rookie
Tell them to git gud
Honestly this is a really sarcastic way of pointing out the real problem here. Focus on helping them get better, not on you doing worse, and soon (soonish?) you won't have to moderate yourself. Even if they don't play nearly as much as you (inb4 filthy casuals) you can help them at least with some fundamentals.

Other than that, I find the most basic way to dumb yourself down is to play a character you don't ever use but always wanted to. Charizard and Ganondorf are my go-tos for this because I never use them and am terrible with them.

kingman1

Smash Rookie
NNID
kingman1
I always try my best when fighting with friends, even when they don't know how to play. I feel like it's the best way to learn. At least, that's what I was taught. :chuckle:

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I always try my best when fighting with friends, even when they don't know how to play. I feel like it's the best way to learn. At least, that's what I was taught. :chuckle:
Playing against people who are better than you helps you learn.

At the same time how much better?

If someone who played the game for 3 months tried to play against ZREO... the former will get slaughtered to the point of being completely unable to learn. ZREO just plays at so much higher of a level than many will ever get to.

Outside of skill though... people don't like to lose every single time and it gets very not fun.

Friends and I like to randomly divide into doubles teams, and play 1st team to win with every character wins the competition. The best team will probably end up winning, but the inferior ones are going to win some when they have their best, and the best team is using characters in their personal mid to low tier. (in other words, tier list of how well a character list is played in that person's hand, not the measure of overall potential that the real tier lists are.)

Terrible competitive rules timing but it is quite fun.

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
You COULD try to pick a supposed low or even bottom tier like :4charizard:, :4zelda:, or especially :4miisword:, while your friends could go pick the supposed high or even top tiers like :rosalina:, :4falcon:, or especially :4sheik:.

You could also try to turn on Custom Specials and let them choose folks like :4palutena: w/ 1322\2322, :4wiifit: w/ 2322\3322, or especially :4dk: w/ 2333\3333, while you're stuck with non-custom'd characters, especially the low/bottom tiers.

You could also purposefully go be on the bad side of a MU. One of your friends play :4yoshi:? Be :4morton: w/OUT Customs (no 3322 for you!) and possibly w/OUT Lylat Cruise as well. One of them a :4sonic: player? Be :4duckhunt: w/OUT Customs (no 3222 or 3223 for you!) and possibly w/OUT a walled Omega stage.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
So recently i have been having trouble because my friends dont want to fight me anymore because im too good for them. They want me to go easy on them but i dont know how.. Any suggestions?
My brother and his friend thinks i'm too good, so they can't have fun. What we're doing is they team up against me, 2v1. Try it, it's fun.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
You'll want to shift into a kind of mentor mode while playing. Force yourself to make a few mistakes and see if they can take the bait, and then let them know they just did something cool. (Teaching how to read opponents and punish wiffs) If they can't seem to keep up, show them how to use pivot attacks and grabs then purposely set up a few times you hop behind them so they can apply it. (Conditioning their reflexes and time to eventually learn ATs) All this will slowly show them how to improve without you coming off as preaching, and they'll feel a sense of accomplishment since they are learning the techs.

And you get to slowly take the training wheels off and give it your all. It takes time, but you'll be learning how to have fun not by winning but by improving (in this case your patience, attention span and communication skills will be improving) and they'll be learning how to play to a point where they don't feel like they are stuck in the kiddie pool all the time.

This approach has helped me teach my wife, multiple cousins of all ages and it is starting to work on my 5 year old daughter.

Top Bottom