• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

God Speed: What makes a good smasher?

Sideem Slingh

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know why I put out this post. I guess it's just because I want to be known, and although this information might not help people get better, it might show people the game behind the game. Also, I think of things like this, and the more I don't release this type of stuff, the more it gets pent up and released in some negative way. So these are my opinions on what is needed to be good at SSBM and what those things are.

When I first saw Smashboards, I did what most other people did straight away. I went and downloaded a video from a tournament, and saw my first video of Ken and Azen duking it out. I was in shock and awe at the level of skill these two had attained. Me and my friend thought we were as good as humanly possible (seriously) only 3 months earlier,and while he paid no heed to it, I became more and more interested. I went and directly started training as Falco, but switched to Fox after having problems with Falco's tactics. The first thing that ever confused me was the speed at which they fought. It was though they were gods at that game, and yet, as they were humans, that title seemed attainable. I knew that I had to get that good. And it wasn't the Foxes, Marths and Shieks which amazed me, but the DKs, and the Bowsers, and the Nesses, IC's, Links, and every character. Everyone of them seemed to move at unrealistic speeds that shouldn't be possible for them. The flawlessness of their fluid movements enticed me to look at the game a different way, and so I started my SSBM curiosity over from the start.

Its been over a year now since that moment, and I've officially worked for about 6 months of that year. I am much closer to my dream to be among the best, but I still have far to go. However, I have spent less time increasing my skills than gathering information on the game and characters. I am more knowledgable than skilled, so I spend most of my SSBM dream helping those on Smash Boards. I consider myself more a smash theoritician than anything. Unfortunately, I live in Manhattan, KS, and I have only one person who can be almost a challenge, and a person interested in taking up Marth. And since tournaments are held usually further away than I can afford to go, I have never been vastly outskilled, or played in a tournament. So I can't really rate myself on my skill because I have no one else to measure up to. So how can I make myself known? By handling information.

Lately my thoughts have gone back to the god speed of the best, and why these people are so fast. Of course, it's because they are so skilled. If you are skilled in every aspect of the game, you will be able to move faster than most people because the experience you have can help you cut every corner there is in order to gain incredible speed. But what skills are they good in? What makes a good smasher? So I spent my time thinking about this, and I think I came up with most, if not all, of the requirements to be among the best.

In truth, nearly every skill needed for a real fight is needed for this game. I have a friend who would beat me up for saying that because he is very pro-physical and hates video games and the like. The skills I found most necessary are Condition, Technical, Mindgames, Physical and Knowledge. I will go over these in detail to help in comprehending them.

CONDITION: This is very easily influenced, and also very easy to overlook. It's literally your physical and mental condition during playing. Obviously, someone who has eaten well, excercised and slept a good night's sleep will do much better than someone who has just been in a car crash, watched his family burn to death with his house, hasn't slept in four days and has a broken arm and leg and a hernia. However, the difference usually isn't that major. Most of the time, it's more like if your pet has died, and you liked it, your performance will be affected. All you have to do to be "good" is take good care of yourself.

TECHNICAL: The most oftenly referred to and most easily difficult skill. This contains everything from L-cancelling to a SHFFL'd aerial to grab to upthrow to uair. It is any individual move or combo which is to be commonly used in your move set. This is also seen as your attacks and other advanced techniques, such as a wavedash or short hop. Technical skills are only advanced by practicing them until they are easily used without error. This skill is just the most common to ask questions about. If you look in the character sections, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the threads are about techniques. So as long as you practice it, you've got nothing to worry about.

MINDGAMES: A very much debated point. As I see it, mindgames is everything in-game that isn't a technique. As I put it earlier, if a technique is the attack, then a mindgame would be the approach to the attack. Virtually anything can be called a mindgame, so the matter is very hard to pinpoint. However, one thing is certain. Mindgames are the tactics used against enemies, and so by playing against harder enemies, you'll learn more and better mindgames to help you along. Unfortunately, many people are isolated in smaller towns with no one to play with, so they have a harder time gathering effective mindgames (myself included). But in the long run, mindgames are every bit as important as techniques, and are gotten by merely playing with good people.

PHYSICAL: This one seems nearly irrevelant, but it can be important. By phsical, I mean your physical reflexes and how fast you can read into the game. For instance, people with faster reflexes can wavedash, l-cancel and the rest much easier. Also, people who can read into the game faster can react to situations faster. Usually reflexes are hard to work on, and seem to give no upper ledge. So it can be ignored and yet still yield a good gamer. Think of physical as being almost the same all the time. There is a way to be better, but it takes months of just reflex training, so it is usually not looked at.

KNOWLEDGE: This is very vital. Knowledge is the knowledge of the characters in the game. This knowledge can include lag times, jumping height, running speed, hitboxes and more of the like. The more knowledgable you are about all the characters, the more you know how the characters work, and therefore have a better chance at. If you don't know how long Roy's sword is, chances are you might overshoot and just miss the opponenet by horizontal length. Also, knowledge works for your enemy's character. If you know long Roy's sword is, you can calculate a circle around Roy that his sword can reach, and then avoid it. Knowledge is gained by either reading about certain things on guides or forums, or by playing as the character in game to familiarize yourself with them. So the more knowledge you have, the more you can preplan things, and create strategies to counter them.

These are the things that I believe create a good smasher. Whether you believe it or not, these points are vital to being a good fighter in any fighting game, so ignoring them is not advised. In the end, I don't really know why I posted this. It seems to me that it would have no purpose in furthering people's games. But maybe I want people to see SSBM from my eyes, to see what it takes to be good, and then work at it. I guess that I just want my opinion to be known. And here it is. Thanks for reading.

Snakebite

Smash Journeyman
Thats incredible that you were able to write all that up. I'd be to lazy........................yep lazy

Ive been playing for 6 months now(I think) and I to vow to be one of the best smashers in the world thats one thing we have got in common. I'm going to travel now for 2 hours just to play smash(yeah it's a drug) Anyhow

Everything you have stated is pritty correct and proberly would be on alot of smashers minds, the smart ones.

Maybe you just want to see more people try harder to become better and more people to take smash brothers up thats what i'd like to see.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
In my opinion, it boils down to dedication to the game. The rest will come naturally.

Peaches

Smash Lord
A lot of it does indeed come naturally to some people. As Naurto says (I'm such a geek) Hard work will beat out genius. Dedication and learning from defeat are the only ways to get as close to the top as you dare to go.

NAZN TYR

Smash Journeyman
::applaud:: I have to give you props for this one. I also agree with what Ang said, it's all about the dedication.

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
i hope thats the case cuz i'm learning all these new techniques and it's getting easier as time progresses but sometimes i think some of the things that i see people do ill never be able to. oh well. i smash an average of 4-5 hours a day and practice in those hours for like 1. hope i get better. nothing like fighting other humans though. hehe.

PaperLuigi5222

Banned via Administration
And those of you that wanna be the best smasher ever, it takes dedication + genius + time/practice

Drephen

Smash Master
always play lightning melee. Does that only make your reactions faster but makes you a better player too.

white peachy

Smash Ace
we can all work as hard as we like and develop mindgames....but then someone like isai will come along and **** us to death without even trying. natural skill>everything else. there are people who have gained tons of experience and technical skill yet the same people are winning tournaments consistently. perhaps i just suck more than i thought though. :(

Dash Blaster

Smash Apprentice
Some things in Sideems post are more important than others, like physical capability and knowledge. If you have a high level of physical ability, yet don't know much about the opponent, you can learn a lot about the opponent in the battle, such as jumping, lag and running speed. I think that Sideem deserves a lot of credit for that post, as it will help inexperienced smashers.

Smash Lord
Ok this is good advice but isn't this something that everyone should know anyways? It's just common sense to figure out.

F₧T2

Banned via Administration
guys a good smash player is composed of the following attributes:
1. Not being me
2. See step one.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wouldn't say dedication to the game makes you the best. Ken dislikes playing smash against one person for more than 30 minutes. Isai dislikes the game all together.

From what I've seen, dedication to the game makes you really good, but it won't make you the best. Like Neji says (=P) it's your fate to be the best, only if you have the natural talent to apply everything in game to it's utmost level. Hard work will only get you so far, if you don't have some sort of genius inside you (read: Kyuubi).

Yeah.

Meteor Blue

Smash Rookie
rmusgrave said:
I wouldn't say dedication to the game makes you the best. Ken dislikes playing smash against one person for more than 30 minutes. Isai dislikes the game all together.

From what I've seen, dedication to the game makes you really good, but it won't make you the best. Like Neji says (=P) it's your fate to be the best, only if you have the natural talent to apply everything in game to it's utmost level. Hard work will only get you so far, if you don't have some sort of genius inside you (read: Kyuubi).

Yeah.

Off topic: Didn't Neji get beaten by Naruto in the Chuunin Exams Finals? Meh.

I think it is both practice, knowledge of characters, knowledge of layout of both controller and level, as well as knowing those glitches.

IMO, if you don't own a GCN and Super Smash Bros to get used to play with it, you wouldn't know the attacks and buttons by second nature.

ComputerBoy10

Smash Cadet
I would say a good smasher would use the a smash moves i versus mode and the double slash for link rocks

Boomerkawanger

Smash Apprentice
what i think makes a good smasher is some one with skill and knows what to do in any situation. and some one that isnt a ***. sorry for my language... aslo some one that will teach ppl that arent that good yet and tell them their flaws. and some one that plays just for the experiance. thats what i think....

Knivez

Smash Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmusgrave

You honestly believe someone can achieve the level that ken and isai are in without playing continuously? Don't believe everything that has been said. I've watched a video of isai and ken when they could hardly wavedash effectively and their mindgames were only mediocre to today's standards. They might not play as much as some other people do, but the video I'm talking about is roughly 3-4 years old. So don't assume that they have this natural ability to be better than others. Trust me, they had to try to be better. Isai said he enjoyed smash 1 rather than melee, and that is probably because he struggles more on melee against better competitors than he does on its predecessor. Smash 1, while being great, doesn't have the depth that melee brings. They also participate in roughly every major tournament and it isn't only for the money. They travel offshore and form their own tournaments too. They possibly play everyday just like everyone else that is good, and dedication and competition brings the best out in a player. Some just have more than others, and that is all. Those that say they do not care and that "it is just a game" when they have continously practiced moves, participated in tournaments, and experienced the game to its potential, do actually care. They care more than they would like to show. Sometimes because it is just a game and they don't want to come off geeky or embarrassing. That is why you should not trust the words of players. Just watch their skill and see how much they do care. Someone who doesn't care or dislike the game would not be L-cancelling and wavedashing. They would not be picking counter characters and top tiers. They wouldn't have a character color preference. They would play hyrule castle with items on. They wouldn't travel miles to compete in a tournament. They wouldn't know the tournament existed or even that this site existed. Whoever comes to this site cares enough for the game to want to learn and improve, and both Isai and Ken are registered along with many other great players. Having a higher learning curve has less to do with natural ability and more with experience in video games, and as you know Isai understood the concept of melee long before it was released through smash 1.

Smash Lord
ComputerBoy10 said:
I would say a good smasher would use the a smash moves i versus mode and the double slash for link rocks
How long have you been playing?
Have you ever played anyone decent? (decent meaning using advanced techniques)
What's a WD, DI & a SHFFL?
What's a Bomb Jump?
Ever been to a tournament? Place anywhere recognizeable?
Ever post something useful?

Answer this if YOU'RE any good.

Don't make idiotic posts explaining the absolute basic moves of Link. Honestly it's insulting to give advice to someone if all you know how to do is smash twice with Link's Sword Slice.

I P Freely

Smash Journeyman
The thing that makes a smasher good is how well he can fart. I'm serious, i can bust out some smelly ones, and I never lose.

Smash Lord
I P Freely said:
The thing that makes a smasher good is how well he can fart. I'm serious, i can bust out some smelly ones, and I never lose.
My god that's absolutely geneous!!

You are a disgusting pig....but your strategy far surpasses any combo any other smasher can ever think up. :chuckle:

nin10do

Smash Journeyman
I P Freely said:
Gosh, you just disgraced us all.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Wow, this guy must be invisible to the Mod-Radar... Anyway.

I learnt in Bio that some people are better suited toward's Marathon running rather than sprinting because thye have a higgher percentage of slow twtch Muscle, and Vice Versa, there for training can only get you so far. Assuming the brain behaves similarly, one can only be so good at smash because of the wya the person thinks, concentrates, or how quickly there Finger muscles react. Butthe two need to be combined to be the best.

If your good, but don't try, you'll do bad. If you aren't as good, and try your hardest, yoiu'll do fairly well. If you combine them, you will be great.

Thats just what i think...

Malice

Smash Apprentice
game_freak8000 said:
How long have you been playing?
Have you ever played anyone decent? (decent meaning using advanced techniques)
What's a WD, DI & a SHFFL?
What's a Bomb Jump?
Ever been to a tournament? Place anywhere recognizeable?
Ever post something useful?

Answer this if YOU'RE any good.

Don't make idiotic posts explaining the absolute basic moves of Link. Honestly it's insulting to give advice to someone if all you know how to do is smash twice with Link's Sword Slice.
You know gamefreak, when you try to make yourself look better than a noob by saying "What's a WD, a SHFFL, etc.?" you really sound like an idiot. Just to let you know, plenty of garbage players can WD and SHFFL. Just because you can too doesn't give you an "elite smash pass" that allows you to rag on newbies so mercilessly. The only people that are even good at doing that are smashers like chillin, who have earned that right, and are funny when doing it as well.

Also, it's a combo of at least some hard work, knowledge, genius, etc.

Tempest 01

Smash Journeyman
nitro-blazer said:
Wow, this guy must be invisible to the Mod-Radar... Anyway.

I learnt in Bio that some people are better suited toward's Marathon running rather than sprinting because thye have a higgher percentage of slow twtch Muscle, and Vice Versa, there for training can only get you so far. Assuming the brain behaves similarly, one can only be so good at smash because of the wya the person thinks, concentrates, or how quickly there Finger muscles react. Butthe two need to be combined to be the best.

If your good, but don't try, you'll do bad. If you aren't as good, and try your hardest, yoiu'll do fairly well. If you combine them, you will be great.

Thats just what i think...
OMG thats kool lol.

Your right; but even if your brain isn't right, you won't JUST be fairly well, you can do EXCELLENT, and pple with the right brain, with training, CAN BE THE ROXORZ! This reminds me of me because when ever i play new (sleightly noobish) pple, sometimes they go like: "how did you know i was gonna do that? WTF?!?" I got reflexes, i just gotta use 'em; and since my friends never play me, I don't know what to do.
BTW i like sprinting; marathon is annoying.

Smash Lord
Malice said:
You know gamefreak, when you try to make yourself look better than a noob by saying "What's a WD, a SHFFL, etc.?" you really sound like an idiot. Just to let you know, plenty of garbage players can WD and SHFFL. Just because you can too doesn't give you an "elite smash pass" that allows you to rag on newbies so mercilessly. The only people that are even good at doing that are smashers like chillin, who have earned that right, and are funny when doing it as well.

Also, it's a combo of at least some hard work, knowledge, genius, etc.
First I do not say i am a "smash elite".

Second i asked him this merely to know if he knew anything useful instead of just talking about Link's smash attacks.

Third this is the first time i have ever critisized someone about their post. I think most, if not all others agree with me when i say this guy should stop posting mindless dribble.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You honestly believe someone can achieve the level that ken and isai are in without playing continuously? Don't believe everything that has been said. I've watched a video of isai and ken when they could hardly wavedash effectively and their mindgames were only mediocre to today's standards. They might not play as much as some other people do, but the video I'm talking about is roughly 3-4 years old. So don't assume that they have this natural ability to be better than others. Trust me, they had to try to be better. Isai said he enjoyed smash 1 rather than melee, and that is probably because he struggles more on melee against better competitors than he does on its predecessor. Smash 1, while being great, doesn't have the depth that melee brings. They also participate in roughly every major tournament and it isn't only for the money. They travel offshore and form their own tournaments too. They possibly play everyday just like everyone else that is good, and dedication and competition brings the best out in a player. Some just have more than others, and that is all. Those that say they do not care and that "it is just a game" when they have continously practiced moves, participated in tournaments, and experienced the game to its potential, do actually care. They care more than they would like to show. Sometimes because it is just a game and they don't want to come off geeky or embarrassing. That is why you should not trust the words of players. Just watch their skill and see how much they do care. Someone who doesn't care or dislike the game would not be L-cancelling and wavedashing. They would not be picking counter characters and top tiers. They wouldn't have a character color preference. They would play hyrule castle with items on. They wouldn't travel miles to compete in a tournament. They wouldn't know the tournament existed or even that this site existed. Whoever comes to this site cares enough for the game to want to learn and improve, and both Isai and Ken are registered along with many other great players. Having a higher learning curve has less to do with natural ability and more with experience in video games, and as you know Isai understood the concept of melee long before it was released through smash 1.
Wavedashing/L-canceling/shuffling/most advanced tech's aren't hard. Period. That does not show dedication. Knowing everything about this game, at this point in time, also does not show dedication. It may show dedication in the past (2 or so years ago, when most of the current high level players starting picking up this game and getting known, and the tournament community really started to form), but at current, unless there is a tournament, most higher level players will only play the game against other high level players, and even then for short amounts of time, or just kinda goofing off. They will stay the best, cause they will continue to go to tournaments. That doesn't nessasarily mean dedication, but if your great at something, even though you may not enjoy it, you might as well win some money.

I'm not saying your completely wrong, just that the amount you prob think they play to be at that level, is most likely much larger than the amount they really play. When Isai went to Japan, he waited days before he even played Melee (granted he did play SSB64).

The main thing about this game, is that you wont get good based on the amount of overall time playing and practiceing. What is important, is the amount of time playing against good competition. One tournament would prob be better than weeks of practice against low level opponants or CPU's. As such, the high level players can sorta just go to a tournament, and mabye play a few matches a couple days before, and be totally chill. Versus someone who many practice till their hands bleed, and place last. It's not the moves, its the application of those moves (though without knowing all the moves, you can't really understand how to apply things).

noob-lube69

Smash Journeyman
white peachy said:
we can all work as hard as we like and develop mindgames....but then someone like isai will come along and **** us to death without even trying. natural skill>everything else. there are people who have gained tons of experience and technical skill yet the same people are winning tournaments consistently. perhaps i just suck more than i thought though. :(
I'm sorry, but i have to disagree with you. Isai is good because he has flawness technique and years and years of experience in both SSB64 and melee. Natural skill <<<< hard work in almost all cases. Only exceptions occur in musc, where children are born with an uncanny talent to produce music at an insanely high level (child prodigies). The only smash "prodigy" is that 7 year old named dany, and even he isn't anywhere near the level of top smashers.

You can't achieve anything significant without working for it.

To be a good smasher you have to have a player at your level to practice with. :laugh: :bowser: <-----thats how good ur gonna be ( that mean u suck) :laugh:

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
noob-lube69 said:
I'm sorry, but i have to disagree with you. Isai is good because he has flawness technique and years and years of experience in both SSB64 and melee. Natural skill <<<< hard work in almost all cases.
I'm not sure what your definition of "technique" is... I do agree that Isai is very good, but probably not because of whatever your definition of technique is.

Technique is definied as "a practical method or art applied to some particular task".

So you're saying he's good because of the style that he plays? Yeah, no kidding. That's one of the most redundant things I've ever heard in my life. Isai is good because all of his moves connect, and he rarely does the wrong move at the wrong time. As DYC has previously said: "What separates Isai from other people is that nothing he does is wasted movement."

Ismael

Smash Ace
Whan't to be a good smasher!

Well, practice alot, try your hardest, never give up, and actuilly WANT to be a good smasher. That is something that you need to BECOME a good smasher. You also have to really dedicate!

Royal Flush

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the cards Ten, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace suite
In my opinion it`s impossible to be considered as a good smasher. You might be looked at as a pro from some people you play but then be looked at as a smasher that totally sucks by some others. Everyones definition of "good" is at a different level. So you can spend hours and hours improving your skills at the game and still not be considered good.

Alucart_Shield

Smash Cadet
Begolfer33 said:
In my opinion it`s impossible to be considered as a good smasher. You might be looked at as a pro from some people you play but then be looked at as a smasher that totally sucks by some others. Everyones definition of "good" is at a different level. So you can spend hours and hours improving your skills at the game and still not be considered good.
Just like "good" and "evil"!! Being "good" could be saying pretty much anything. Being "good" may not mean that you actually have skill, but that someone thinks you do. To quote a friend, "It's a conundrum, a pickle if you will." :veryconfu So instead of talking about being a "good" player, why can't we use a term that relies less on opinion, a term that doesn't change much (if at all) depending on perspective? It would help our discussion about what makes a smash player...uhh...jeez...anyway, since my friends already created a rating system to gauge prowess in various gaming genres (a FPS requires Precision, SSB and other fighting games require Reflex, RPGs are for people with Tactical Sense, etc.), I guess we could discuss the various pieces of Smash skill. Sideem did list a whole crapload of really good points, though, so I may just end up wholeheartedly agreeing with him.

Back to sleep... :tired:

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Begolfer33 said:
It's difficult to explain, but your theory is horribly flawed. I mean, sure... There are people who defined as decent that some people might think suck. There is somewhat of a tier system for players. Top tier and such... For example, I think Eddie has a pretty nice Falcon. Darkrain or Isai, however, probably do not. Because they're better than him (With Falcon at least). For the majority of the people of the boards though, it's not hard to agree on who is a good smasher and who is not since most of the people on the boards suck at Smash compared to the actual pros (Not excluding myself at all). No one can come into this thread, say that PC Chris only has a decent Falcon. Because although there are better Falcon's out there, the chances of the person saying this actually being better than PC Chris, is slim to none. And I believe that you can't say someone is not a good smasher unless you're better than them.

To sum it up, if anyone on the boards says something like "Yeah, Mows Mewtwo is kind of good I suppose. I've seen better. He's not THAT good." then they're an idiot scrub trying to look big on the boards by hiding behind the confidentiality that the internet provides which people take advantage of (Especially on the boards) far too often.

GGNOREKTHXBYE!!!1

Alucart_Shield

Smash Cadet
AngeloBangelo said:
To sum it up, if anyone on the boards says something like "Yeah, Mows Mewtwo is kind of good I suppose. I've seen better. He's not THAT good." then they're an idiot scrub trying to look big on the boards by hiding behind the confidentiality that the internet provides which people take advantage of (Especially on the boards) far too often.

GGNOREKTHXBYE!!!1
I think Begolfer was merely trying to point out that who is "good" is in the eye of the beholder. After all, he didn't mention any names, he just said something about how it is impossible to have the same impression on everybody.

However, I have to admire that valiant spin-doctor attempt. You should track what Democrats say, think of how to turn those words against them, and go to my friend's blog. I'm sure he'd love a spin doctor.

Ah, a full paragraph of digression. A new record!! SWEET!! Anyway, try not to pounce on people when they have a stroke of genius and note the role of perspective in determining how "good" someone may be, mm'kay?

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
No. Thanks for the concern though.

Although someone might be good in the eye of one person, and not another... It's pretty obvious who is a pro at this game and who is not. Example of some Falcon players off of the top of my head:

Pro: Darkrain/AngeloBangelo
Above average: G-Regulate
Average: AngeloBangelo
Semi-N00b: Most Falcon players lie in this aera
Super OMFG n00b: This guy: http://rapidshare.de/files/7121361/Zelda_vs_CFalcon__Fountain_of_Dreams_.wmv.html

Of you disagree with that list, then you are wrong.

Top Bottom