• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gliding, Clinging, and Crawling

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
So, how useful is and will be for the characters that use it?

Gliding (Meta Knight, Pit, Charizard)

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique05.html

So far, it seems to be a good techniques for those who like to live longer. But how useful is it to these characters?

Wall Cling (Diddy, Shiek, Lucario, Squirtle) - Basically, you stick to a side of the wall for a given amount of time. I can see this as the new edgeguard potential, but how much more is a mystery.

Crawling (Pikachu, Snake, Wario, Lucario, Bowser, Squirtle, ZSS, Luigi) - This is so new, not even Sakurai may not even share with us sometime soon. It seems to be good for spacing, but that seems to be all.

What do you all think?

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
I'm sure Gliding and Wall Clinging will be used sometime in the future in competitive smash, sparingly though. Crawling doesn't seem practical to me.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
For the record, Squirtle and Lucario can both wall cling, and I'm pretty sure a LOT more characters can crawl. I specifically remember seeing Bowser and Lucario crawl, and I'm sure there were a bunch more...most people just don't bother trying it.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
For the record, Squirtle and Lucario can both wall cling, and I'm pretty sure a LOT more characters can crawl. I specifically remember seeing Bowser and Lucario crawl, and I'm sure there were a bunch more...most people just don't bother trying it.
Brawlcentral had a list of what they or cannot do, but because they updated it, i can't find the list anywhere...=/

Pikachu can crawl. Rat status.
LOL

btw, why do you think the glide will be used sparingly? don't you think it's a good recovery move? (especially since you can attack out of your glide?)

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
btw, why do you think the glide will be used sparingly? don't you think it's a good recovery move? (especially since you can attack out of your glide?)
It seems a little too slow when you're in the air, though I haven't seen it used practically much. It could be used for recovery often, but in the midst of battle, you're a big target.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
It seems a little too slow when you're in the air, though I haven't seen it used practically much. It could be used for recovery often, but in the midst of battle, you're a big target.
I heard charizard's is slow, but Meta Knight seems to be pretty decent in speed.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Okay, I know there are characters that could do any of these things, but my main concern is how can we use this in high technical level of play.

Legoluigi

Smash Rookie
I know when I was playing as Snake and I fought against a Falco that lasered a lot, I just crawled underneath the lasers and attacked with my dtilt.

ptown

Smash Ace
wall cling for mixing up your own recovery.

crawling to dodge and advance/retreat against projectiles? ^ yeah, what you said.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
Okay, I know there are characters that could do any of these things, but my main concern is how can we use this in high technical level of play.

Thats the point you cant..

its only used by SQUARES who dont take the time out to learn advance techniques.
Grr..

Dither

Smash Apprentice
As a Pit player, gliding is actually very useful if I get knocked off high. Because a glide can chain directly into an attack, and can be tilted to go almost vertically, you can glide until you're over the stage, and pitch down. When you're near the stage, you can either attack or pull up, which should cause you to recover nicely.

Wall-cling is actually relatively useful to Lucario, as I can't count the times I missed the edge with B^, but managed to recover anyway by clinging to the wall. Haven't been able to incorporate it into my playstyle yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Thats the point you cant..

its only used by SQUARES who dont take the time out to learn advance techniques.
Grr..
so wait, I'm a square for using Glide...? ._.

I want to learn new advanced techs, but I also wanna push up the usefulness of some of the techs Sakurai made for us, you know?

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
crawlin seems like yoshi in general. its there and when u think to use it its ok. but u never really care much for it.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
The only use I found for crawling is crawling under the annoying windmill in pokemon stadium 1.

Sl1th

Smash Apprentice
Only use I can see for crawling is to move under projectile spams, but even then most projectiles dont fly straight, they follow differant trajectories.

I think wall clinging will be useful for recovery/edge gaurding, does anyone know how long you can stay clinged before you fall?

As for gliding, useful for recovery or flying over an entire stage, but it seems to leave you vulnerable.

ramiel77

Smash Rookie
apparently there is a crawl attack that is different from your dtilt, anyone know about this?

Top Bottom