• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glide Toss Notation - It's Time We Standardized

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
It has been over two years and we still can't come up with an agreed upon notation for Glide Tossing. So, I'm going to present a few options, and you guys either vote on one or present your own (note that others will have to vote on your new one to be adopted). I really just want this matter to be settled, as it has taken way too long for someone to just do this. Therefore, come by next Sunday, I'll tally the votes and I hope that we can agree to use the winner as the way we denote Glide Tossing from now on.

My vote is for number 1, which I stole from the ROB boards, due to what I think is very clear readability.

Note:
X: Direction we were facing before GT
Y: Direction we are now facing after GT
T: Direction of the throw

All examples are "Slide Backwards, Look Forwards, Throw Up"

1. GT(x,y) B(t)

Ex: GT(b,f) B(u)
  2. GT x-t

Ex: GT b-u
  3. xtGT

Ex: buGT

Current Votes:

Style 1: 1
Style 2: 0
Style 3: 0
Custom: n/a

I'm going to take this space to plug type 1 again by showing how much easier it is to describe Dribbling.

Currently:

Glide Toss, slide backwards, face forwards, throw Banana down > Pickup Banana while sliding > Glide Toss, slide backwards, face forwards, throw Banana down > Pickup Banana while sliding > repeat

If we used Type 1:

GT(b,f) B(d) > Pickup Banana while sliding > GT(b,f) B(d) > Pickup Banana while sliding > repeat

TreK

Is "that guy"
I've been using the third one for two years. And forced the other French diddies to do it too x)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Type 1: 1
Type 2: 2
Type 3: 1
Other (ish): 1

GT x-t
seems to be a clear leader atm... I wouldn't mind that at all, so long as people actually started using it. I'll make a huge section in the Kongpendium about this, which hopefully newcomers will read and start doing too. Like, bold text and flashing GIF images that say if you use this notation, then every time you pull a Banana you get another 40 virgins for the afterlife or something

On another note: the reason I wanted both x (the direction of the slide) and y (the way you face after the slide) is because that matters with some techniques such as Dribbling. When you throw up or down, you need to specify what direction you're facing after the throw (forward or back), as it could be either direction.

In other words, for regular Dribbling, you slide backwards but face forwards (and it obviously won't work if you slide backwards and face backwards):
GT(f,b) B(d)

For Pivot Dribbling, you slide forward and face backwards (technically you buffer a turnaround, but still):
GT(b,f) B(d)

Admittedly, the distinction matters more for other characters whose GT lengths differ depending on both x and y (see: ROB, DK, etc.), and because all our Glide Tosses are the same length (roughly?) I suppose y isn't needed as much.

TreK

Is "that guy"
is it that bothersome to say foward aerial attack ?

Nope. We still invented fair.

Choice

Smash Champion
can anyone vote? i say #3

i'm trying to learn diddy right now. so i'm not just like random falco/wolf thats lurking boards.

Choice

Smash Champion
haha as soon as i saw 1 2 2 1 i immediately thought of doubles.

at the very least you can narrow it down to type 2 and 3 then make another vote.

Top Bottom