• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Gimping removed from 3ds?

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I pretty much agree with everyone here. You have to work harder to get a gimp. If you come from melee like me just remember this: recoveries are buffed like in brawl, but it works for the offensive as well. Why? Well now you can chase them way off the stage, use an aerial, and still make it back. In the demo you can go so far offstage with Link you'd be surprised you can even make it back to the ledge.
Yeah, it still shocks me how far out I can go with Link and how easily he can recover.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Gimping is possible. Edgehogging isn't. Everyone has good recoveries minus a few people and the ledge changes help make getting back the stage more free.
Actually, playing the demo yesterday, I was kind of surprised to see that I was able to perform an old school Melee-style edgehog. Seems like if you time it right, rolling up from the ledge still tricks the game into considering it occupied and it won't let an opponent grab it. It may be frame perfect in this game, or close to it, but you totally CAN do it.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Actually, playing the demo yesterday, I was kind of surprised to see that I was able to perform an old school Melee-style edgehog. Seems like if you time it right, rolling up from the ledge still tricks the game into considering it occupied and it won't let an opponent grab it. It may be frame perfect in this game, or close to it, but you totally CAN do it.
I have to admit I have yet to even try it just because everyone assumes you can't do it. But that's some really good info. Very situational, but nice

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I have to admit I have yet to even try it just because everyone assumes you can't do it. But that's some really good info. Very situational, but nice
Yeah, it's really situational, but my guess is that it's just because the game can't interrupt the roll animation with the "ledge stolen" animation, so for that one or two frames that you're rolling up but still actually grabbing the ledge, the opponent is screwed.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
So now that the game is out, what your opinions on gimping? Playing Bowser Jr. recently, I'm quite disheartened at the difficulty of launching off aerials and getting back, but I know there's a case for the exact opposite as well.

In this iteration, who do you think is the best at gimping so far?

Spirst

So now that the game is out, what your opinions on gimping? Playing Bowser Jr. recently, I'm quite disheartened at the difficulty of launching off aerials and getting back, but I know there's a case for the exact opposite as well.

In this iteration, who do you think is the best at gimping so far?
Greninja is an absolute monster at gimping with his hydropump. It has a windbox effect akin to Mario's FLUDD but without the need to charge anything up. Additionally, even if you don't get the gimp, you can send the opponent way up in the air and while they're in the helpless falling state, you can fully charge up a smash attack (the sweetspot usmash is a killer). Plus, this isn't even with a proper controller yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom