• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting to know Seibrik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I've never made a blog post on smashboards before, but I figure with the influence I would like to have on the smash community in the coming months, it wouldn't hurt if people were able to get to know me a bit better.

If this isn't the right place for this thread I kindly ask someone to redirect me.

But in any case...

My name is David Silberberg, but I imagine most of you know me as Seibrik. I’ve been playing smash for almost 8 years, all starting with Melee. I actually had nearly 3 years of Melee under my belt before getting into Brawl, and even continued playing Melee for some months after Brawl’s release. Something many of you might not know, however, is that at one point I wasn’t good enough to win tournaments. Let’s just call that period, my ENTIRE melee career. I was your everyday pot filler trying desperately to get better.

I spent two years competing, and despite maining Sheik, making a combo video with very appropriate music, and making a tech video with horrible font, I just wasn’t seeing the results I wanted to see, that juicy top three. Granted I had players like Dashizwiz, ColBol, HungryBox, KeepSpeedin, XIF, LambChops, and countless other remarkable players to compete with, I felt that all the time I put into training with NickRiddle, RexxFalcon and ESAM (Shoutouts to the BlueBloodline!) just wasn’t being reflected in the results. I spent about two and a half years failing to place anywhere near top three. However, once I befriended one of the latter tournament threats I listed, LambChops, I started to see improvement.

While LambChops’ Falco certainly spent countless hours beating my Sheik to a bloody pulp, that wasn’t all LambChops did. He taught me the inner workings of Smash. He taught me not only WHAT people do in Smash, but WHY they do what they do. Understanding why people do the things they do was like receiving a Master Key that would unlock all the doors in every dungeon of every videogame. Although it wasn’t necessarily the key to every door, it was at the very least the key to finding the keys to every door. I started understanding the game on a new level, and my results showed it. In the months before Brawl came out I actually placed 2nd in a Melee tourney losing to Green Mario, and in the last tourney before ending my Melee career I actually beat LambChops himself, doing better than I had ever done previously against ColBol in the match following.

Since Brawls release I’ve done the best that I can to take what I learned in Melee and apply it to Brawl. Also, since I appreciate what LambChops has done for me as far as teaching goes, I see how much it helps. As such, I’ve done my best to bring that element of Brawl to all those I’ve encountered both here in Miami and in my travels to various out of state tournaments.

I tell you guys all this because I want you to understand the impact a teacher can have on someone’s performance. This isn’t just for Smash or competitive gaming, but its true for any field. That’s the premise in which schools exist after all. Why go out and spend 50 years learning a trade the hard way, when you can have someone who already spent 50 years in that field teach you everything they know in 1.

I suppose I’ll leave you all on this sentiment before introducing Tier Breakers. With a teacher available, or in this case Tier Breakers, the only thing standing between you and becoming a top player, is you.

What's Tier Breakers? Click here to get a taste of things to come!

DrkRoxas

Smash Apprentice
Your story is really great, and your intention is greater.
I believe having a great teacher can push you further than a lot of things, I'd probably go this year to FL and house at BleaGelo's so if I ever see Lambchops I'll remember you, great story, I'm trying my best to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom