• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting into a Spindash Combo

Tenki

Smash Hero
The difficulty of getting a spindash to hit aside, is anyone having trouble getting a spindash combo to hit?

The "perfect" Spindash Combo is:
(ground) Spindash [hit] > (immediately) Spindash Jump [hit] > Aerial

but since the SDJ tends to knock people away (bad for combos?), I've been cancelling it and using the 'imperfect' combo instead:
(ground) Spindash [hit] > Spindash Jump+Aerial

I'll use U-air for my example, since it's one of the best juggle starters:

Recently, I've been only hitting with the first hit of U-air, or not at all, and my opponent seems to be too far behind me, even if I do the aerial immediately. It's really bothering me, since I used to be able to do it just fine before whereas now, it seems to only happen randomly.

Is there a % that this works best in? Should I just go for the 'perfect' combo instead? Opponent DI (or lack of it) messing with me?

if this is happening to anyone else, tips would be awesome.

._.;

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
When you're only hitting with one hit of the uair, chances are they're just DI'ing, or you're hitting with the wrong part of the uair. My suggestion is to just fair instead in those instances, since they're set up perfectly for every hit.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Yea I've had this problem too. Sometimes I go Spindash then jump still in the Spindash and then Ariel. =[ But sometimes I only hit the second spindash and not the Ariel. Which is lame...

Although I do find Spindash, Spring + Uair on higher %s to actually work especially on floaties.

NNID
MasterHavik
It not hard for me,but i try t odo combos off of Dairs and his grabs.Here up throw,up+B,and Uair easy.But have pretty deadly ones to.I don't know if I should show them.

Tenki

Smash Hero
There's a collection of moves that kill and even the percents that they kill here. Most people try things like that at the wrong % just to find out they didn't throw high enough.

That one's in there, and so is its B-air counterpart. Actually most of the moves listed use throws as starters, though they're usually for preparing placement for a KO, if anything.

Anyway, if you've got a good move, post it there. Keep the options growing.
[/advertisement]
--------------

This thread is actually stemming off some frustration I've had while testing the spin-dash killing movestrings/"combos" this past weekend, since Spindash>U-air is a starter for two of the listed combos (and there's a third one I've got in mind that I'll test after finals). Sometimes, I'll get the person I'm fighting against to the perfect % just to screw up the setup and miss the 'critical' damage that would have ended his stock, making the stock last another minute as I rack up damage for the next kill option.

f1r3 3mbl3m

Smash Cadet
I've learned that at the right %, it varies with the weight of the char, you can spindash and jump the exact second you hit them, and if you time it right, they'll take two hits, one for the dash, and one for the jump. Then you ought to be able to midair-jump to cancel the spindash, and Fair them off the stage.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I've learned that at the right %, it varies with the weight of the char, you can spindash and jump the exact second you hit them, and if you time it right, they'll take two hits, one for the dash, and one for the jump. Then you ought to be able to midair-jump to cancel the spindash, and Fair them off the stage.
Tenki said:
The difficulty of getting a spindash to hit aside, is anyone having trouble getting a spindash combo to hit?

The "perfect" Spindash Combo is:
(ground) Spindash [hit] > (immediately) Spindash Jump [hit] > Aerial
Uh.. that?

going into a F-air side kill from SDC sounds interesting. I'll check that out in a few days xD

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Why do you call that the perfect combo >.>
Damage wise, spin hit, spin jump hit, foot stool, spring, dair, aerial is the highest damage combo that exists out of the spin dash.

Tenki

Smash Hero
mm, I guess I meant "complete" spindash combo, since it covers all of the basic hits offered by a spindash: SD>SDJ> Aerial.

honestly, the labels i gave aren't serious, it was just to emphasize using all of the spindash combo as opposed to skipping the SDJ hit lol.
----
SD>SDJ>FSJ>Spring>dair>aerial
..?
That sounds like an interesting combo, but I can't visualize how you'd hit the d-air out of spring (or do you just try to lag-cancel it and get to the floor faster?), since using spring leaves you stuck for a bit, and I think hitting with the spring makes it so they can tech/whatever when they hit the ground..?

Browny

Smash Hater
that combo above is so awesome lol, but i can only get it to work against the big guys like dedede. but then again, is only does the same damage as a perfect SD>SDJ>n-air, except the FSJ combo is undodgeable, no amount of DI will save the enemy, but its extremely hard to do. versus the big guys if theyre not paying close enough attention you can get a sweetspot with the n-air combo to do the same damage (28%)

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
Sh Fair is so great... eats shield for breakfast and can combo with itself, it's a wonderful approach when your opponent expects your spindash combos. chasing off the edge with it is great too, sh fair on land to toss them off, hop to Fair above the pit to chase, then upb+rising fair to finish, you should have plenty of DI to make it back to the edge. I also use a lot of Ugrab to Uair to upb+Dair, you can chase with those almost every time depending on percent and DI. I dropped sonic early on because of his bad priority on a lot of his moves and predictiability of the dash combos, but with these new tricks he's just at tournament viable as anyone.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Spin charge combos will not start working until around 30% on relatively small characters, that's where Spindash should be used. To get better timing, you should use the fully charged spindash which is 4 or 5 b's (can't remember which one) as it creates a bit more hitlag and obviously does more damage. But yeah, fair is better overall unless they DI downwards in which case you can just use the uair.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
I can usually fair combo out of both spindashes at low percents on any char, then I move to U-air around 50%, then if they start DI'ing backwards I move to B-air while DI'ing backwards. That, and at low percents you should prolly be using Ugrab+Uair/fair or Dgrab tech chasing to rack damage. The best potential of the spindashes is setting up for spring/ Fair/Uair or going immediately to lag cancel homing attack if they sheild.

Tenki

Smash Hero
btw apparently I was jumping too early ._.;

sliiight delay to get positioning right so it traps in a u-air.

Top Bottom