• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting GameCube Ports on the New Wii?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
I have heard that on the new Wii (not the Wii U, but the one that doesn't have GameCube ports) that you can't use the USB to GameCube adapter that was originally intended for the Wii U. First off, is this true? Secondly, if it isn't true, is there any hacking you can do to make it work? Lastly, is there any way to get GameCube ports on those new Wii's?

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
I would say just buy and older white wii. They are pretty cheap, less hassle, comes with GameCube ports, and you can do more homebrew/hacking wise, like booting straight to home-brew without the need of a wiimote. Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for, but older wiis are just better imo.

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
Totally agree. I have the older Wii, but this is for a friend who has the newer one and really doesn't want to buy another one.
I would say just buy and older white wii. They are pretty cheap, less hassle, comes with GameCube ports, and you can do more homebrew/hacking wise, like booting straight to home-brew without the need of a wiimote. Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for, but older wiis are just better imo.

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
Totally agree. I have the older Wii, but this is for a friend who has the newer one and really doesn't want to buy another one.
Ahhh I see, you should try and convince them x)

DRGN

Technowizard
Since I happen to have knowledge on this, I might as well add that it is possible to physically add controller ports to those Wiis. The circuit boards still have the pin layout for the controller ports/connector. However this requires soldering. And not just for the connector, but for adding small SMT components (tiny resistors & capacitors that require some skill to do) that the boards are also lacking. So it's really not worth the trouble when you can get an older Wii cheaply on ebay. Especially if you don't need the disc drive and can therefore buy a system with a nonfunctional disc drive for even cheaper (~$20 - $25).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom