• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Disheartened

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Not going to lie, I love lucario a lot. That pokemon was one of the reasons I got back into the game, because of just how cool it was. So he's been at least my main if not my secondary for at least Brawl and beyond. Though recently, with I guess the advancements people have been making in Smash4 it's just been kind of hard to enjoy playing as the blue puppy.

It might be with For Glory or whatever, but still, the thought or maybe the disappointment remains that there are such frustrating matchups now. It's not so much that there are faster characters, because it never really felt like that much of a problem in Brawl. Could be the lack of true killing power until 70% and beyond Lucario has now. It wouldn't be so bad if some of the faster characters didn't also have extremely good killing power too as well as what tend to be faster and more effective moves.

Maybe, I'm just venting my frustrations, but am I alone? Maybe I just need to stop scrubbing it up or whatever. It's just man the more I play as Lucario the more frustrated I am, especially at these specific matchups.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Not going to lie, I love lucario a lot. That pokemon was one of the reasons I got back into the game, because of just how cool it was. So he's been at least my main if not my secondary for at least Brawl and beyond. Though recently, with I guess the advancements people have been making in Smash4 it's just been kind of hard to enjoy playing as the blue puppy.

It might be with For Glory or whatever, but still, the thought or maybe the disappointment remains that there are such frustrating matchups now. It's not so much that there are faster characters, because it never really felt like that much of a problem in Brawl. Could be the lack of true killing power until 70% and beyond Lucario has now. It wouldn't be so bad if some of the faster characters didn't also have extremely good killing power too as well as what tend to be faster and more effective moves.

Maybe, I'm just venting my frustrations, but am I alone? Maybe I just need to stop scrubbing it up or whatever. It's just man the more I play as Lucario the more frustrated I am, especially at these specific matchups.
Honestly I was in much the same place not too long ago; if you're like me, the problem comes not from how slow his moves are, and probably not the kill power either, but the range on his moves.
Basically, I love Lucario the character & moveset, but it feels to me like in Smash 4 Lucario is less his own character and more an embodiment of the Aura gimmick; it can certainly take you a long, long ways but you're going to have to look at Lucario more as Aura and less as his own character/moveset (or at least I did).

Also, there's no shame in wanting to play another character either; I ended up switching mains (though if they ever give him his range back I'm switching back immediately) but Lucario's still a ton of fun to play (and hilarious in doubles).

Basically, though, if you keep playing Lucario (which is certainly doable!) then you just have to remember that once you hit 70%, you have to play utterly and completely safe (while also punishing hard when the opponent messes up), because one single mistake from the other player means that they lose the stock; your goal has to be to not make a mistake that loses you that opportunity, and ride your advantage as far as possible.

Keep in mind though, that this is just one person's thoughts on the character; not the 'absolute truth' or anything by any means.

Oh, and if it's just specific matchups you're having trouble with (for example characters that kill early like Ganon), then you could always pick up a secondary specifically to counter those characters.

Happy Smashing!

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I feel you, but I'm frustrated for different reasons. I still can't get the hang of having crappy range (at least compared to Brawl). I also really hate the new lag on some of our moves. I whiff attacks way too much, specifically his aerials, utilt, grab, and FP grab. I've resorted to playing the most boring, defensive Lucario ever now.

I am a wreck with this character. :(

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You're not alone. Brawl Lucario =/= Smash 4 Lucario. This is something people need to get out of their minds. I know it's hard if you've played the character for 7+ years, but it's something you need to let go quickly if you want to get better.

They took away a lot of what made him good (range, lingering hitboxes, survivability, etc.) and they gave him a few neat upgrades to some his moves.

And Lucario definitely does not do too well vs characters with fast attacks, aerials or low-percent kill moves. He definitely feels like a more grounded-based character in this game, though his aerial game is still decent.

Just keep practicing.

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Yeah it's just overall frustrating, even though I feel like I've abandoned the idea of Brawl Lucario though I do feel he's overall better, but man it's just frustrating most of the time.

I disagree with the Aerial game. I feel like somehow it's gotten worse. Nair for sure feels like it doesn't land half as often as it should.

Practice for sure is something I need to do, but damn it's difficult to keep motivated.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You just find a training partner who is also motivated to get better.

And you learn more from losing than winning. It's really up to you if you feel like playing this character or moving on to someone else.

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
Lucario is very grab-reliant now and his hitboxes no longer linger nearly as long as they did back in Brawl, I find. And yeah, his aerial game did take a hit. You have to play him a lot more patiently, combo out of grabs as often as possibe and space with aura sphere and tilts.

His boosted recovery does allow him to play offstage much more aggressively now, and he's decent at getting gimp kills with Dair and Fair having great coverage, so that's something I'm trying to work on improving.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Yeah it's just overall frustrating, even though I feel like I've abandoned the idea of Brawl Lucario though I do feel he's overall better, but man it's just frustrating most of the time.

I disagree with the Aerial game. I feel like somehow it's gotten worse. Nair for sure feels like it doesn't land half as often as it should.

Practice for sure is something I need to do, but damn it's difficult to keep motivated.
If you want some practice feel free to poke me on Skype or something. I'll be happy to work you through the matchups you have trouble with.

Top Bottom