• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gettin a little freaked out.....

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Hey guys, new here to the SmashBoards, but not new to the game. I've owned/played the game since it was first released in 01. I consider myself a good player, but after seeing plenty of the tournament videos, I am kinda gettin freaked out. My first tournament will be on the 27th of this month and from what I've read here on the forums is that playing against the computer can really screw yourself over. All I have ever done with this game is played against level 9's......so my question to you guys, is have I completely screwed myself for this tournament? Or is there a way I can ready myself for it in 10 days? I've also picked up some info after skimming through some threads that Link is a bad choice for a player. Link is my boy....I've played as him since Melee came out. I want to represent Link in this tournament but I do not want to embarrass myself. What can I do to save myself? Please don't flame me for asking a question like this (and please don't call me a noob), I'm just an everyday guy trying to better himself at this game.

Sorry for rambling, but I hope you guys can help me out on this one.
Thanks in advance!
-Ryan

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
look at some youtube vids of good link pays like aniki deva skler and the germ and others on here. always play cpus on lvl 1-3 and train wave dashing bomb jump ect have fun at the tourney

Skler

Smash Master
Read a guide, watch vids and play a lot of good people. If practicing against CPUs just work on tech skill, they're fairly useless for combos (they always DI the same way) and other game play.

SiN:Wrath

Smash Apprentice
Definitely look for some smashers in your area and don't get to worked up about the tourney. If u go and just try to have fun u'll probably do better. Plus while there make some friends and play a LOT of friendlies. Watch vids of a couple different links so that u can make ur own style and if u don't know already learn how to L-cancel ur aerials. Good Luck!!

-Me: "Why the hell do they never give Link the Pegasus Boots in any of the smash games!!" A friend: "Because that would be the definition of utterly broken."

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Hey where do you live in MO?? if ur close we can get some training in.
I live in Washington which is about an hour and a half east of CoMO. I'll be going to school up there next semester in the fall though.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm actually going to be playing some friends tonight and they are pretty good if I might say. The one guy will be using Marth and the other guy will be using Link/Fox. It should be a good time.

Btw: I just learned how to do the wave dashing pretty well, but still not enough to improve my game IMO.

Skler

Smash Master
Wavedashing takes a long time to make it useful. Spend time learning when to use it and it'll improve your game. It's situational with Link, but very useful in those situations.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
Is it bad that I main Link and I can't always Wavedash on command until like the third time
?
I wavedash and waveland perfectly with Ganon, which is my secondary. D:

Advice to the OP. Just work on getting Fluid with Link. Learn matchups through experience. Do these friends of yours know ATs?

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
I live in Washington which is about an hour and a half east of CoMO. I'll be going to school up there next semester in the fall though.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm actually going to be playing some friends tonight and they are pretty good if I might say. The one guy will be using Marth and the other guy will be using Link/Fox. It should be a good time.

Btw: I just learned how to do the wave dashing pretty well, but still not enough to improve my game IMO.
Great! Then in the fall we shall play the smash. Unless you wanna drive over here today and play, or tomorrow :p its up to you!

>Bert<

Smash Ace
I will say, getting advice from Skler himself is pretty freakin cool. I know how respected you are within the Link community and to have u help me out is awesome.

The friends of mine do know ATs but can that actually be helpful??

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Great! Then in the fall we shall play the smash. Unless you wanna drive over here today and play, or tomorrow :p its up to you!
Lol, I come up to CoMO pretty often given the fact that my sister goes up there. But for sure, when fall time comes around, its smash time.

smkdude

Smash Rookie
I agree with monkeyx4, I think you'd benefit from watching videos of pro Link players. By the sounds of things, you're having a little difficulty using wavedashing to its potential, so I think watching some of Aniki's videos would be of the most benefit to you.
From the videos I've seen of him, he doesn't wavedash (he does waveland on some occasions however) and if you watch closely, often while on the edge he will quickly ledgehop into an attack, which usually catches his opponents off guard. Watching his videos will most definitely help you improve for the tournament. And best of luck with it too! :D

Top Bottom