• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Sonic's REAL VA back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
A pity, really. The thought of anything 4Kids touching a game like Super Smash Bros. frightens me, however one bad voice won't ruin the game. It'll be the ugly birthmark on the *** that nobody cares about.
4Kids already tainted the SSB series, by having 4Kids voice actors do the voices of various Pokémon from the previous games.

Alphanova

Smash Cadet
Seen this at dA, lol'd hard. I posted this at the Sonic Retro boards, while lol'ing. Then I saw it here, and I lol'd harder. This won't work, besides... Ryan heard about this, but as of so far...

http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/341/

If you don't wish to follow that link...

"A quote by Ryan himself has surfaced:

Nope. No one has contacted me or my agent about
doing ANY kind of voice work for SSBB. Spread the
word. :)

~Ryan"
I don't believe that. From what i recall, Ryan loved being the voice of Sonic, he applied to be his voice again in Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Riders, but Sonic Team, being the lazy a-holes they are, decided to use the crappy 4kids voices instead. If he turns down the job to be Sonic in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, the game that might bring Sonic back to his former glory, (not to mention will be the game that may be on par with Halo 3) I would be extremely suprised, shocked and overwhelmed. Every Sonic fan adores him, and he'd be doing himself and millions of people a favor by voicing sonic again.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I don't believe that. From what i recall, Ryan loved being the voice of Sonic, he applied to be his voice again in Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Riders, but Sonic Team, being the lazy a-holes they are, decided to use the crappy 4kids voices instead. If he turns down the job to be Sonic in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, the game that might bring Sonic back to his former glory, (not to mention will be the game that may be on par with Halo 3) I would be extremely suprised, shocked and overwhelmed. Every Sonic fan adores him, and he'd be doing himself and millions of people a favor by voicing sonic again.
No. Every Sonic fan does Not adore him. Many didn't like Ryan when he was the voice actor, and didn't start complaining until Jason became the voice actor. While I always enjoyed Ryan as the VA, the fact many people are responding to having him come back is merely choosing the lesser of two evils.

SEGA's announcement to use the 4Kids actors did not come as a surprise. To hook the younger audience already watching Saturday Morning Cartoons, they used the same VA's to avoid confusion with the younger generation of gamers, who are incidentally, a lot worse then the previous generation. I've never been owned by someone younger then me. Never.

Many Sonic fans would rather Sonic be a voiceless character with Mario and Link, seeing that is how he started, that's how he should stay. Wouldn't be too difficult - seeing as Samus has done it so far.

He won't be voicing Sonic in Brawl, and He won't ever voice Sonic again if SEGA gets their way. As much as you'd like to believe, the majority of Sonic fans does not lie with intellectual gamers, but the more casual and younger population, who take Sonic's Voice as it is.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
^^^^

Nice logic, Super, but logic doesn't stop these kinds of arguments. Unfortunately. I personally don't like Jason, especially not after finding out that he voices
Usopp from One Peice
, but he sounded better than usual in the Dojo trailer.

If you guys want to shoot for an impossible goal, it should be a cool one. Like getting Jack Nicholson for Sonic's VA. :laugh:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
This topic is stupid. Now I know everyone loves Ryan as voice actor (best sonic ever) but to believe in this hopeless fan garbage is silly. Nintendo may be a buisness of the people, but it still is in it for the money. And why would they fire Jason after he did his job.

Maybe if Jason only did half the work but I doubt it this late into production. Sonic has changed uys and we'll just have to face he facts.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
The Pokemon aren't bad. I love Charizard's Anime voice! Pikachu's is also really cool.

Yeah, the Pokemon aren't bad. :)
Actually, Pikachu's voice is the same VA in both teh Japanese AND English verseions, possibly because the name remained the same, and therefore, they did not need to change VAs...

And Charizards just roars, so that hardly counts IMO.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
rather be voiceless? well i can see where that might be what some people like, i think in this day and age i would much rather have characters who can actually speak.

the main reason is that it gives them character, personality, emotion, etc. and as i've grown older as a gamer i've come to appreciate character development a lot more. it makes things more interesting, and gives you more motivation to keep playing. you can still have 'silent' characters that have a voice, therefore personality, such as master chief. as great as link and the zelda games are, they are beginning to feel dated with the lack of voice work and not a single word of speech from link himself. even mario talks here and there, which is good for his character's sake. i am glad sega decided to give their characters voices as opposed to leaving them silent in the first place.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
I'm not going to tear into Sonic fans for their preference in Sonic voice actors, but it does really annoy me when folks start painting one of these new guys as the original voice of Sonic. There is only one original voice of Sonic the Hedgehog, and that will forever be Jaleel White. That's right, old school Sonic. He was voicing Sonic in several animated TV shows years before the games got a voice, and he did a **** good job of it. You can keep both of your new guys; I died a little inside when he opened his mouth in that trailer and Jaleel's smart*** voice didn't come out.

Of course I know they'd never be able to get him nowadays, and I'm not trying to pick on anyone who prefers one of the new guys. All I'm saying is respect the history.

Given the options at hand, though, I think the silent treatment is the best idea yet.

On a side note, does this discussion remind anyone of the age old James Bond debates? "Moore!" " No, Connery!" " Lazenby? WTF?!" :p

ProudNintendofan

Smash Apprentice
Super Smash Brothers Brawl, the game that might bring Sonic back to his former glory
I don't see how Smash will bring Sonic back to his former glory...

Sega needs a truly awesome and incredible 3D Sonic game to accomplish that feat.

Which at this rate... is probably not gonna happen.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I don't see how Smash will bring Sonic back to his former glory...

Sega needs a truly awesome and incredible 3D Sonic game to accomplish that feat.

Which at this rate... is probably not gonna happen.
I disagree. An Amazing 2.5D game would really please many Sonic fans old and new. All the new gamers like seeing their 3-D Sonic with that Terrible Jason Griffith voice, and the old gamers get to experience Sonic the way it's meant to be played - 2-D style.

I mean, it's worked on the DS, Many magazines said that they only thing they hated about it was the storyline. Now we just need to bring that gameplay Magic to a home console, and screw the storylines.

Or, take a page from Brawl, and hasten the storyline with Quick, voiceless cut-scenes.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
Both of those Vas sound the part, but the both fail completely because they can't act. Period. Seriously, Sonic franchise has some of the worst acting I've ever seen. To be completely fair though, I'm sure part of the problem lies with the inane dialogue they're given and was I'd imagine is most likely terrible directing.

As for a good Sonic game, he can work in 3D, Sega just refuses to do it right for some reason. They feel compelled to muck up the formula with various half-***** ideas every time that ruin it. The main reason the 2D Sonics work is because they generally don't have any of that crap. All it needs is Sonic (and maybe Shadow as long as he plays the same) and lots of good, well thought out levels where you can speed through 'comboing' off springs and rails (exactly like SA2's Sonic/Shadow stages) and it'd immediatly be in my favorite games list.

That's why Secret Rings pissed me off so much, it looked all set up to be the perfect Sonic, then I get my hands on the game and run into countless ******** design choices. Oh hay, lets make you have to brake (taboo!) in the middle of the level and back up into spikes without turning the camera around so you can't even see two feet behind you. **** YOU!

Ok, I'm done now.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
I read some stuff on Ryan. Ryan would have moved to New York at his own expense to continue him being the voice of Sonic for Sonic X but I forget what 4kids did, be stupid of course. So I really think Ryan would be his voice in Brawl, no matter what, unless Nintendo decides to be stupid too.

Thas heart right dur.

Alphanova

Smash Cadet
(Quoted from Wikipedia)

In mid-2003, an animated Sonic the Hedgehog TV series, known as Sonic X, began airing in Japan. The voice cast featured in the Japanese version was essentially the same as the video game cast.

The English dubbing rights for Sonic X were acquired by 4Kids Entertainment, a company known to cause criticism among anime fans. Drummond attempted to obtain the role of Sonic the Hedgehog for the cartoon, both through contacting Sega and 4Kids.

After putting in calls and emails with 4Kids, Drummond was contacted by Michael Haigney, and informed that 4Kids could not use him as the voice of Sonic, allegedly because of 4Kids' Headquarters' location in New York. 4Kids, instead of casting Drummond for the part, chose their own voice actor Jason Anthony Griffith (credited as Jason Griffith). Drummond stated in a reply to Haigney, and on his website that, while he appreciated his honesty, he was frustrated that 4Kids wasn't able to contact him sooner, and that he would have willingly relocated to New York at his own expense.

Adding to the controversy, however, it was revealed during production of Shadow the Hedgehog, by Drummond himself, that the title, and all subsequent titles, would use the 4Kids voice cast instead of the already-established voice cast. Similarly, Drummond's voice clips for the Nintendo DS game Sonic Rush (which were recycled from the game Sonic Advance 3), seen in an early trailer of the game, was also replaced by Griffith's voice. This was allegedly done for continuity between the show and the games (despite the two not having any plot continuity).

The possibility of Drummond returning to voice Sonic the Hedgehog was hinted at during the Digital Life Expo in New York City, by a Sega representative, who claimed that Sonic X was finishing its run, and that Sega would have "no reason" to use the 4Kids cast anymore after Sonic and the Secret Rings. Nothing further has been confirmed. Sega or any other entity.However, this rumor is apperantly false, as previews for Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games had Jason's voice, and despite many rumors, Drummond confirmed he nor his agent have not yet been contacted by Nintendo or sega for playing Sonic in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. [1]
This (IMO!!!) pretty much confirms that 4kids ****** up the Sonic voice cast. But, despite what it says, If the 1000 call thing is true, It would be an explanation to why Ryan hasn't gotten any calls from Nintendo or Sega. And since his voice clips were taken out of Sonic Rush (F*** YOU 4kids F*** YOU!!) They can do the same with Jason in Brawl. Just my 2 Cents...

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
A... to reminisce to the good old days, where all Sonic said was "Yeah" when he got a 1-Up, and people didn't really care who voiced him...

In terms of the later games, I don't really know the name of the actor, but the actor who voiced him in SA and SA2 was pretty good, though apparently they've replaced him, eh?

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
Both of those Vas sound the part, but the both fail completely because they can't act. Period. Seriously, Sonic franchise has some of the worst acting I've ever seen. To be completely fair though, I'm sure part of the problem lies with the inane dialogue they're given and was I'd imagine is most likely terrible directing.

As for a good Sonic game, he can work in 3D, Sega just refuses to do it right for some reason. They feel compelled to muck up the formula with various half-***** ideas every time that ruin it. The main reason the 2D Sonics work is because they generally don't have any of that crap. All it needs is Sonic (and maybe Shadow as long as he plays the same) and lots of good, well thought out levels where you can speed through 'comboing' off springs and rails (exactly like SA2's Sonic/Shadow stages) and it'd immediatly be in my favorite games list.

That's why Secret Rings pissed me off so much, it looked all set up to be the perfect Sonic, then I get my hands on the game and run into countless ******** design choices. Oh hay, lets make you have to brake (taboo!) in the middle of the level and back up into spikes without turning the camera around so you can't even see two feet behind you. **** YOU!

Ok, I'm done now.

i feel the same way. man if sega just made a full blown sidescroller like the old sonic games using powerful 3d graphics kinda like sonic 06's and made it a massive game as far as levels, lots of different playable characters for variation, that would be an amazing game.

secret rings had terrible controls. it would have been so much better if you held a button down to move forward as opposed to automatically moving forward. that ****ed me up so many times, ugh

SiD

Smash Master
Are we sure this isn't Ryan doing the voice in Brawl? Cause I was doing comparisons, and it sounds like it to me.

And it's not that unlikely, whoever said that, that they'd bring back the old ones, since Sonic X isn't running anymore.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
You know, even if both voice actors do suck, I'd still prefer Ryan Drummond, because Jason Anthony Griffith is with 4Kids, and 4Kids sucks @$$!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
They aren't that horrible, keep in mind that they are aimed towards a younger audiance. For their target audiance (around 5-10) they are great. I know that the Pokemon anime started to suck really hard without 4kids (like even moreso than before) so they don't always muddle things up.

47drift

Smash Journeyman
John Moschitta Jr. would be, although inaccurate to the character, a hilarious voice for Sonic.

You know... The world's fastest speaking man? Anyone?

Um... He played Blur in the 1984 Transformers movie? And... was on that one FedEx commercial?

Yeah, he's pretty awesome. I mean, shouldn't the world's fastest hedgehog have the world's fastest voice? It makes sense. :ohwell:

ProudNintendofan

Smash Apprentice
Big news.

http://lightning-duchess.deviantart.com/

About an hour ago I phoned! The rep was clueless...So I had him transfer me to a higher rep! I asked about the 1000 calls! He went to check something, probably some production notes for the game. He said...they ARE planning on using Drummond thanks to the "feedback" as he put it! But he said they never said any specific amount! But they'll still need more calls to ensure Drummond's place.
Yeah, I think Ryan Drummond will make it now and I couldn't be happier. :)

INSANELY_SIK

Smash Rookie
if they bring back ryan back for a a different sonic game then they should bring the guy who originally did shadow(david) and i've been hearing that ryan doesnt hav time cuz

·his wife is 3 months pregnant
·he's on tour with his band
which means he cant do sonic for brawl but who knows...but if nintendo offers him to voice sonic for brawl he'll try to see if he can..like i said he's busy but if he cant do it he might be able to do the next sonic game(if sega hires him back)

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
i didnt even notice it wa a different guy...i'm a huge sonic fan but i dont really care who vices him, at least he's in.......

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
i don't know, something about how that's worded seems kind've suspicious. maybe it's just me but why would nintendo say something like they are planning on using him, yet still say they aren't sure about his place and need more calls? idk.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I was told that voice actors have contracts, and that you can't simply say you want someone to voice a character and expect them to comply. Voice actors can only change if their contracts expire. What's the deal?

ProudNintendofan

Smash Apprentice
if they bring back ryan back for a a different sonic game then they should bring the guy who originally did shadow(david) and i've been hearing that ryan doesnt hav time cuz

·his wife is 3 months pregnant
·he's on tour with his band
which means he cant do sonic for brawl but who knows...but if nintendo offers him to voice sonic for brawl he'll try to see if he can..like i said he's busy but if he cant do it he might be able to do the next sonic game(if sega hires him back)

Ryan doesn't have a band... but I don't think his wife would have a problem with letting him play Sonic again. And he has said he's willing to do it.

Alphanova

Smash Cadet
Ryan doesn't have a band... but I don't think his wife would have a problem with letting him play Sonic again. And he has said he's willing to do it.
Ryan does have a kind of 'band', but it's only an acapella group that doesn't do anything special, they're only open for booking for special occasions for people and the sort. It probably won't do much to interfere with a voice acting job.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Box, is that the best you can do?

Hey guys, I was told that voice actors have contracts, and that you can't simply say you want someone to voice a character and expect them to comply. Voice actors can only change if their contracts expire. What's the deal?
Yes, it's just like acting on TV. You decline as many show's as you want, but ince you sign on a show, you're stuck for the length of the contract's requirements.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Bumping year old threads makes mods furious at you, for the record.

:026:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom