• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Sonic's REAL VA back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Technically, Jaleel was the original Sonic the Hedgehog. So if you wanna go "Old School", it would be best to put him in. I would find it both nostalgic and funny to find the furry blue critter spoutin' his voice as I control him. His voice was whiny like Master Shakes from Aqua Teens.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
while that idea does sound cool, it would just seem unlikely at this point that they would switch up their voice actors now that j grif has apparently already done some of the voice work(at least i would assume so from hearing him in trailers and such)

definitely cool though

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
i think there is cool potential in smash if there was more diologue in general. give more CHARACTER to the characters. plus i'm hoping that there will be actual diologue in subspace mode, as i think it would be a lot cooler of a story and more engaging than if all characters would mute..

Darkurai

Smash Master
while that idea does sound cool, it would just seem unlikely at this point that they would switch up their voice actors now that j grif has apparently already done some of the voice work(at least i would assume so from hearing him in trailers and such)

definitely cool though
The only line we've actually heard Sonic speak is "Sonic's the name, speed's my game"
That "Gragh!" heard at one point in his trailer is identical in both english and japanese.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
As much as I would love Ryan Drummond to return as Sonic's voice (Jason Griffith's Sonic makes me wanna kick a squirrel) I think it's probably a little too late to get the VA's switched. We'll just have to wait till another Sonic appearance to get the calls in.

Mr Sonicspeed

Smash Cadet
As much as I would love Ryan Drummond to return as Sonic's voice (Jason Griffith's Sonic makes me wanna kick a squirrel) I think it's probably a little too late to get the VA's switched. We'll just have to wait till another Sonic appearance to get the calls in.
lol kick a squirrel but yea it's probly to late they might be done with everything just polishing thinks up.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
*ahem*
"The good people over at the "Save Sonic" forums, have discovered that Nintendo of America has stated after a phone call with a representative "If enough people call, we WILL hire Ryan." After many calls from the forum members, and talking to different people, this seems to be true. If your sick of Jason and want to have sonics golden opportunity to be flawless, give them a call!
yeah.
I already called. mainly because I hate 4kids with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. if griffith voices sonic in brawl, brawl shall forever be tainted with 4kids poison. 'sides, this is the same guy who voiced 4kids usopp. and that is unforgivable.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I'm not actually going to call Nintendo to get his original voice back, but I really WANT the original voice, because 4Kids's crappy voice actor, Jason Anthony Griffith, just can't compare!

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
Eh? I don't get it. I'm not an expert on the history of Sonic's VAs, but they both sound the same to me, and neither one seems to be able to act for **** (granted, they're usually not given much to work with).

Darkurai

Smash Master
Eh? I don't get it. I'm not an expert on the history of Sonic's VAs, but they both sound the same to me, and neither one seems to be able to act for **** (granted, they're usually not given much to work with).
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vP-xy39DPE0

That was Ryan Drummond.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CSRA2Yc0Jzc

This is Jason Griffith. Notice how at 04:45, Jason starts doing a Sonic voice nearly identical to that of his other character, Jet the Hawk.
That is horrible work.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
Meh, true I think I slightly prefer Ryan's voice in the clips, but the different is negligible enough to not really matter to me. And the part at 4:45 is a special case (since hes in a particular transformation), and all VAs eventually do very similar voices for different characters (hell, look at The Simpsons, the main male VAs for that show are some of the best in the business, doing 10-20 different characters in it a piece and yet even some of their characters are very similar).

And seeing Secret Rings reminded me what a dissapointment that was... why is the only really good 3D Sonic SA2? And even then it was only the Sonic/Shadow stages...

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
i think they are really similar, only j grif's voice is a bit higher than ryan's.

actually, now that i watched that entire movie, it did kind of suck that he essentially just did jet's voice for darkspine sonic

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Jas has twice as many games & a whole TV series on his resume. He pretty much is THE voice of Sonic now.

& don't act like Ryan's anything special, he ain't.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
imo, i do like j grif's shadow a lot. he did a good job with his voice.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Jas has twice as many games & a whole TV series on his resume. He pretty much is THE voice of Sonic now.

& don't act like Ryan's anything special, he ain't.
THE voice of Sonic cannot also be the voice of several other characters in poorly-dubbed anime.

Plus, Ryan was denied the part of Sonic in the anime simply because he didn't live in New York. (or maybe it was because he did live in New York. I can't remember)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
*ahem*

yeah.
I already called. mainly because I hate 4kids with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. if griffith voices sonic in brawl, brawl shall forever be tainted with 4kids poison. 'sides, this is the same guy who voiced 4kids usopp. and that is unforgivable.
This is made of so much truth my eyes almost melted reading it.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Seen this at dA, lol'd hard. I posted this at the Sonic Retro boards, while lol'ing. Then I saw it here, and I lol'd harder. This won't work, besides... Ryan heard about this, but as of so far...

http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/341/

If you don't wish to follow that link...

"A quote by Ryan himself has surfaced:

Nope. No one has contacted me or my agent about
doing ANY kind of voice work for SSBB. Spread the
word. :)

~Ryan"

The Man Himself™

Smash Rookie
wow...after hearing the voice of Usopp....I've gotta join the Drummond side....and never look back....cause that was just horrible

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
Seen this at dA, lol'd hard. I posted this at the Sonic Retro boards, while lol'ing. Then I saw it here, and I lol'd harder. This won't work, besides... Ryan heard about this, but as of so far...

http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/341/

If you don't wish to follow that link...

"A quote by Ryan himself has surfaced:

Nope. No one has contacted me or my agent about
doing ANY kind of voice work for SSBB. Spread the
word. :)

~Ryan"
A pity, really. The thought of anything 4Kids touching a game like Super Smash Bros. frightens me, however one bad voice won't ruin the game. It'll be the ugly birthmark on the *** that nobody cares about.

slick128

Smash Apprentice
ugh why does Sonic's voice in Brawl even matter? He's probably not even going to talk that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom