• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
We could do a whole smash within just the SMRPG cast, that's how great these characters are. Of course you could easily make each boss the hazard of a stage with smithy being the new master hand or taboo. The soundtrack would be really nice too.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Too much nostalgia...

Another retro character revealed in the PotD, but looks to be an assist trophy. Just curious, but is the SNES considered a retro system now?

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Too much nostalgia...

Another retro character revealed in the PotD, but looks to be an assist trophy. Just curious, but is the SNES considered a retro system now?
Well from what we've seen in Melee we had the retro NES rep Ice Climbers and the Hardware rep G&W; in Brawl we had Pit and R.O.B. I think we already have the hardware rep for 4 in WFT, so we are just missing the retro rep, which could honestly be anywhere from NES to 64 imo.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Well from what we've seen in Melee we had the retro NES rep Ice Climbers and the Hardware rep G&W; in Brawl we had Pit and R.O.B. I think we already have the hardware rep for 4 in WFT, so we are just missing the retro rep, which could honestly be anywhere from NES to 64 imo.
Eh 64 is a too soon to be retro. SNES is pushing it but that's only if they were early in those days. NES to me is true retro, which we have more than enough people to choose from

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Eh 64 is a too soon to be retro. SNES is pushing it but that's only if they were early in those days. NES to me is true retro, which we have more than enough people to choose from
It depends on what you consider retro. SNES came out in 1990/91 which puts it over 20 years old. 64 is closing in on 20 as well.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Nope, I wouldn't expect to see any for at least a week or two either.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but don't these kinds of emails usually not get responses?
Anything not sent from another respectable business but would still have a better route to talk to Square is looked at but ignored. Same with any company, I could confess my homicides I've performed and they wouldn't bat an eye since they think I'm yanking their chain. Have to remember there are always tons of looneys out there who do this for no reason other than to troll.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Guys! I really want Geno for (DLC) Pre-Paid SMASH 4 3DS/Wii U verisons in time to make major sense in gaming history, once and for all good sakes of our requestments in life! P.S: Good-Luck!^_^

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
i
Nope, I wouldn't expect to see any for at least a week or two either.

Anything not sent from another respectable business but would still have a better route to talk to Square is looked at but ignored. Same with any company, I could confess my homicides I've performed and they wouldn't bat an eye since they think I'm yanking their chain. Have to remember there are always tons of looneys out there who do this for no reason other than to troll.
But we have to try. We can't fall into the "It's impossible" trap and convince ourselves it can't be done because then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I think it'd better if we organized and incorporated -- there are several types; I know the process -- round up everybody and approached square as an organization serious about buying their IP. Trying is the only way things will change; all ruminating about the 1000 things that can go wrong will do is discourage everybody and I'm really tired of seeing the folks here in such despair. We Must Try.

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
We will definitely try Kiteinthesky. You're the one that put together the petition that got over 100 signatures right?

I will exhaust all my contacts to get this thing recognized, if/when we do it.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
We definitely got beat up from not seeing him in brawl. Not gonna lie. It's like an ex girlfriend that you can't trust man!

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
You guys already emailed them? What did you say? I personally think we'll have to tell them the idea of buying their IP, as in, tell them we'll give money. Then they'll talk :4pacman:

Let's say we get 200 people. Each one ready to give 10 dollars. That's 2000 bucks, not enough obviously but it'll be enough for Nintendo to realize we're up for it.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
i
But we have to try. We can't fall into the "It's impossible" trap and convince ourselves it can't be done because then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I think it'd better if we organized and incorporated -- there are several types; I know the process -- round up everybody and approached square as an organization serious about buying their IP. Trying is the only way things will change; all ruminating about the 1000 things that can go wrong will do is discourage everybody and I'm really tired of seeing the folks here in such despair. We Must Try.
I'll have my online friends to help Geno in SMASH on FaceBook & Twitter! P.S: Wish me, LUCK!^_^

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I guess petitions, a kickstarter fund, and money might be more difficult to ignore.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
I'd say with the amount of popularity from the pre-Brawl days that they had to have heard that people wanted Geno.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
If we are planning to do a mass email thing, we should organize it first. Get the word out on several social media sites and set a date. Get people to send fan art, poems, Geno related stories, and everything else in addition to the requests.

The Suikoden Revival Movement did that with Konami, and Konami did acknowledge them. Still no new Suikoden game, but this was all very recent.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'll perform several interpretive dances dressed as Geno for the cause.

Not actually.

But like ya know, we can spam emails.

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
I firmly believe in Geno's chances this time around, namely because of the inclusion of Pac-meme and Mega Man.
Besides, he is a 3rd party character who actually makes sense as a character, and would fit in very very nicely.
He'll always stay in my signature. *salute*

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
You guys already emailed them? What did you say? I personally think we'll have to tell them the idea of buying their IP, as in, tell them we'll give money. Then they'll talk :4pacman:

Let's say we get 200 people. Each one ready to give 10 dollars. That's 2000 bucks, not enough obviously but it'll be enough for Nintendo to realize we're up for it.
I sent them 5 to a different email each and told them as professionally as I could that we would like to seek their approval in buying the certain rights of SMRPG. I didn't tell them the second part of the cause, that would make them refuse outright. I do believe a mass social media stir and online campaign in regards to contacting Square for SMRPG or Geno would be the better way to go as I've already said before in this thread. I'll gladly do my part in helping out, still no word from Square....

Nintendo on the other hand sent this automated crap:

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED REPLY.

Hello,

We are experiencing heavy email volumes currently and have not been able to respond directly to your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. In an effort to reach out, we are sending this message that addresses some of the more common questions and issues we have seen.

If this message does not address the reason you originally contacted us, please respond to this email and your reply will be given top priority. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
Sounds decent that they would bother adding that note of putting this top priority if I respond again, although I'm sure this would once again just be mixed with all the garbled emails they get. Writing another response and asking for permission first once again.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I was just wondering how well Geno could fit into the "retro" slot.

It depends on what you consider retro. SNES came out in 1990/91 which puts it over 20 years old. 64 is closing in on 20 as well.
20 years... So crazy how long ago that was.

Anyway, I was just wondering as to what Geno would represent. To me, I like him as the RPG rep for the Mario franchise. He could possibly fit as a retro rep as well, or even a WTF for those who have never heard of him.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I wonder, though. How long does the copyright last? Isn't it 20 years? Correct me if I'm wrong. If so, Nintendo will probably just wait 'til 2016.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I wonder, though. How long does the copyright last? Isn't it 20 years? Correct me if I'm wrong. If so, Nintendo will probably just wait 'til 2016.
Hah, I wish! It lasts 70+ years, the plus is when they holder dies to start the 70 year count down. If it was before 1978 it would have a slight loophole but not for Geno

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I'd support that Kickstarter so hard, I'm not even joking.

... But what if Square-Enix says no? People would just get ripped off. :p

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
If anybody's still up for the "raise money to buy out the rights to Geno/Mallow" plan, I've done some digging.

Kickstarter would be bad for this sort of thing because their rules prohibit promising to donate funds to a cause. I think it'd be better to use another crowdfunding site like GoFundMe or Indiegogo or something. I have no idea what we could offer donors -- maybe we could just chip in on some Wii-Us, some copies of Smash 4 and run a raffle instead. Maybe someone could make bead sprites as rewards or something.

We should pick a charity to donate the funds to should things go south and Square won't sell, now, so we have a backup plan to show donors. Perhaps something children or video game related... I know Penny Arcade used to run that Child's Play thing where they'd donate video game consoles to children's wards at hospitals. We could always just throw the money at some random (reputable) cancer organization or something.

I'm not sure where and who would store the money though. It'd be way too tempting for an individual to just take the money and run. Maybe it'd be better to form a trust to put the money in; that would help deal with the other legal problems this plan would have overall too.

...Now I really like the raffle idea. :X

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
That's why I still suggest we get a response out of Square first then start raising the funds before we just raise money and not know what to do with it. The premise of "fund this for the off chance they say yes" does not make me feel all warm and cozy inside.

I got an automated message from Square, same schtick as Nintendo. Replying yet again to see what they say. Its a better step doing this than just talking about it on here lol. I know so many people would donate to this cause but that's the problem, we have to get something going before we can actually roll the ball.

FZ64

Smash Journeyman
At this rate of the whole buying your self a Geno is indeed a wonderful idea but considering how close Smash's development is coming to a close It will probably (it pains me to say) not effect the roster (of course there's always DLC but that wasn't conformed so were going to leave that out for now) not only that but there's another variable in the way meeting the quota with the little time we have left (DLC can come in play here ) so we may not get him within this smash by doing this but it will get him a very solid chance for the future.

(and jeebuz I haven't been on here in awhile

Xigger

Smash Lord
Fellows, I do love me some good optimistic, productive attitude. Although, while fundraising may be a prospective venture, how about we think about the money?

Do we have any idea how much a video game copyright costs? Say, if there have been video game copyrights sold to another company, (not an entire company being bought,) then is there any way to know or estimate such a price?

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Fellows, I do love me some good optimistic, productive attitude. Although, while fundraising may be a prospective venture, how about we think about the money?

Do we have any idea how much a video game copyright costs? Say, if there have been video game copyrights sold to another company, (not an entire company being bought,) then is there any way to know or estimate such a price?

Something I've wondered myself, although we really only have the extremes to go with. Microsoft bought Rare as a whole for 375 million, Konami bought Hudson's 38% for 40 million and et cetera. Needless to say this would indeed be a lit candle attempting to survive a scuba diving session. The odds are so horribly against it that it probably isn't in our power but this is the best chance we have as of lately to help Geno.

Once again, we are all well aware Geno will not be in Sm4sh.

Staarih

Smash Master
If nothing else, a thing like this would at least indicate the want for Geno to appear again and the fan-demand he has. It might be acknowledged already by someone at their end, but I don't know how serious they think we are haha, and a stunt like this would emphasize that at least. We all want to see him in the gaming world again!

Xigger

Smash Lord
Once again, we are all well aware Geno will not be in Sm4sh.
Playable status aside, I think there's a fair chance. Takamaru and Prince of Sable Kingdom are retro yet make a scene, and Rayman is evidence that copyrights aren't a dead end!

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
One of my favorite moments was on Star Hill, with all of the wishes of characters. Luigi's wish really made me wish he would have been another character in the game.

Top Bottom