• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gengar Shadow Sneaks In! ~Gengar Support Thread~

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
240px-094Gengar.png

WHO IS GENGAR?
Gengar is a Ghost/ Poison type Pokémon introduced in the first generation of Pokémon, Red and Blue (Red and Green in Japan). In fact, it (and its evolutionary line, which includes Gastly and Haunter) were the only Ghost types at the time. To this day, Gengar stands as both one of the most popular Ghost and Poison type Pokémon.

Main Titles:
Pokémon: Red/ Green (1996)
Pokémon: Yellow (1998)
Pokémon: Gold/ Silver (1999)
Pokémon: Crystal (2000)
Pokémon: Ruby/ Sapphire (2002)
Pokémon: FireRed/ LeafGreen (2004)
Pokémon: Emerald (2005)
Pokémon: Diamond/ Pearl (2006)
Pokémon: Platinum (2008)
Pokémon: HeartGold/ SoulSilver (2010)
Pokémon: Black/ White (2011)
Pokémon: Black 2/ White 2 (2012)
Pokémon: X/ Y (2013)
Pokémon: Omega Ruby/ Alpha Sapphire (2014)
Pokémon: Sun/ Moon (2016)
Pokémon: Ultra Sun/ Ultra Moon (2017)

Notable Spin-off Titles:
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red/ Blue Rescue Team (2005)
Pokkén Tournament (2015)

WHY GENGAR FOR SMASH?
Gengar holds quite a bit of potential for a Smash character. For starters, given Gengar's high special attack stat, it would be very unreasonable to not have the gist of his moveset to consist of non-physical attacks. And by non-physical, I don't necessarily mean just projectiles: I mean attacks that don't utilize physical contact, which can result in unique hitboxes. There are also a wide variety of moves to pull from the learnset it has in the games, such as Hex, Will O' Wisp, Dark Pulse, and even Dazzling Gleam (hey ghosts can dazzle too let them dazzle).

ARGUMENTS AGAINST GENGAR AND COUNTERARGUMENTS AGAINST THEM
"We Have Too Many Gen 1 Pokémon As Is!"
I'll admit that I can see why people have a problem with having more Gen 1 'mon. I mean, Gen 1 has four 'mon in Smash already, and it's the only Gen to get more than one Pokémon. The fact that, even outside of Smash Gen 1 is the Gen that gets the most amount of attention from the series own creators, isn't helping. That said, I feel like people really are too obsessed with this fact and won't give any Gen 1 Pokémon a chance just for this one reason and disregard everything else about the 'mon.

"There Are Other Ghost Type Pokémon To Choose From!"
The problem with this argument is that just because one Ghost type gets into Smash, doesn't mean that others can't. People tend to assume that just because two Pokémon share a type, they have the exact same potential as a Smash fighter, when this is as far from the truth as one could get. What really matters with Smash potential is the movepool a Pokémon has. As mentioned earlier, Gengar has a vast movepool with plenty of potential for Smash. The only other Ghost type that could really work like Gengar is Mismagius, who sports similar stats across the board and has access to a decent amount of moves that Gengar has. So I guess if you want Mismagius in Smash the argument works, but otherwise, not really.

MOVESETS
Neutral Attack: Thrusts out its arm and creates shadow energy from it. The first hit does 4%, the rest do 1%.
Dash Attack: Floats while slowly front flipping. 1%.
Forward Tilt: Pinches. The hitbox is tiny, but the attack is extremely quick. 1%.
Up Tilt: Uppercuts with a straight arm. 6%
Down Tilt: Falls on its face before bouncing in a flip to get back up. 5%.
Forward Smash: Throws forward both hands and releases a burst of multi-hitting poison. 2-5% per hit.
Up Smash: Opens its mouth and lets out a tornado of multi-hitting poison. 4-6% per hit.
Down Smash: Becomes a cloud of gas and swirls around while sweeping down low. 6-12%.
Neutral Aerial: Releases a small poison cloud around itself. 1%.
Forward Aerial: Kicks with its ghostly foot. The range is much longer than it looks. 3%.
Up Aerial: Breathes a poison cloud that disappears briefly. 3%.
Back Aerial: Whips with its tail. 5%.
Down Aerial: Spins around and hits twice while covered with poison. 4% first hit, 3% second.
Grab: Has a lot of startup, but also a lot of range.
Forward Throw: Laughs before launching them. 3%.
Up Throw: Holds them up. A swirl of poison carries them up. 7%, and a KO throw.
Back Throw: Jumps back, then disappears right before they hit the ground. 5%.
Down Throw: Spins them around with ghost powers. 5%.

Neutral Special: Sludge Bomb. Fires a ball of poison from its mouth. It can be charged and stored. An uncharged bomb is affected by gravity.
Side Special: Shadow Punch. Throws a punch that does no damage. Shortly after, a ghost fist appears in front of Gengar's fist, punching in the chosen direction. A forward punch does 8%. An up or down punch has more range and can't be air/spot dodged, but does 5%.

Up Special: Lick. Sticks out its tongue and wraps it around itself while flipping upwards once. The tongue stuns anyone who touches Gengar. After the flip, Gengar shoots out its tongue for a short tether recovery. The tongue does 2% at this time.

Down Special: Curse. If an opponent is right in front of it, it doubles the amount of damage it has (it must have at least 50%), and causes the opponent to rapidly take damage. This can't be shielded.

Final Smash: Mega Gengar. Mega Evolves. Mega Gengar has infinite jumps and is much faster, with higher air stats. Its attacks do a bit more damage.

PALLET SWAPS

SUPPORTER LIST
Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar
Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons
Freduardo Freduardo
Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma
AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen
Some Beedrill Some Beedrill
AdmN30 AdmN30
CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592
Pizza Robo Pizza Robo
SquashiniKun SquashiniKun
NintenZ NintenZ
Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123
@GoldenYuiitusin
Vingag Vingag
Gengar84 Gengar84
Sirfishe Sirfishe
@Fuzzy Pickles!
S SEGAGameBoy
Questionmark222 Questionmark222
M MegaGengarPlays
@psb123
smashingDoug smashingDoug

Signature Support Image:

(Will add more eventually)

:094:

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Honestly if he plays like he does in pokken he should be a boss character.

But I support all ghost Pokémon.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Gengar is one of my favorite Ghost Types.

Sign me up, as long as there are no souls involved.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Here's the moveset I came up with in the NintenZone Social Thread.
Gengar's a floaty character who uses ghost and poison tricks.
  • Neutral Attack: Thrusts out its arm and creates shadow energy from it. The first hit does 4%, the rest do 1%.
  • Dash Attack: Floats while slowly front flipping. 1%.
  • Forward Tilt: Pinches. The hitbox is tiny, but the attack is extremely quick. 1%.
  • Up Tilt: Uppercuts with a straight arm. 6%
  • Down Tilt: Falls on its face before bouncing in a flip to get back up. 5%.
  • Forward Smash: Throws forward both hands and releases a burst of multi-hitting poison. 2-5% per hit.
  • Up Smash: Opens its mouth and lets out a tornado of multi-hitting poison. 4-6% per hit.
  • Down Smash: Becomes a cloud of gas and swirls around while sweeping down low. 6-12%.
  • Neutral Aerial: Releases a small poison cloud around itself. 1%.
  • Forward Aerial: Kicks with its ghostly foot. The range is much longer than it looks. 3%.
  • Up Aerial: Breathes a poison cloud that disappears briefly. 3%.
  • Back Aerial: Whips with its tail. 5%.
  • Down Aerial: Spins around and hits twice while covered with poison. 4% first hit, 3% second.
  • Grab: Has a lot of startup, but also a lot of range.
  • Forward Throw: Laughs before launching them. 3%.
  • Up Throw: Holds them up. A swirl of poison carries them up. 7%, and a KO throw.
  • Back Throw: Jumps back, then disappears right before they hit the ground. 5%.
  • Down Throw: Spins them around with ghost powers. 5%.

Neutral Special: Sludge Bomb. Fires a ball of poison from its mouth. It can be charged and stored. An uncharged bomb is affected by gravity.
Side Special: Shadow Punch. Throws a punch that does no damage. Shortly after, a ghost fist appears in front of Gengar's fist, punching in the chosen direction. A forward punch does 8%. An up or down punch has more range and can't be air/spot dodged, but does 5%.

Up Special: Lick. Sticks out its tongue and wraps it around itself while flipping upwards once. The tongue stuns anyone who touches Gengar. After the flip, Gengar shoots out its tongue for a short tether recovery. The tongue does 2% at this time.

Down Special: Curse. If an opponent is right in front of it, it doubles the amount of damage it has (it must have at least 50%), and causes the opponent to rapidly take damage. This can't be shielded.

Final Smash: Mega Gengar. Mega Evolves. Mega Gengar has infinite jumps and is much faster, with higher air stats. Its attacks do a bit more damage.

Here are my MS Paint-made palette swaps from the old thread:

1. Normal Gengar
2. R/S/E/FR/LG/D/P/Pt Gengar (different shade of purple)
3. Misdreavus
4. Original Sugimori art Gengar
5. Shiny Mega Gengar
6. Banette
7. Gastly/Red & Blue Gengar
8. Clefable
9. Reverse-colored Gengar (Red body, purple eyes)
10. Not based on anything, but it reminds me of Zero from the Kirby series.

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
Here are my MS Paint-made palette swaps from the old thread:

1. Normal Gengar
2. R/S/E/FR/LG/D/P/Pt Gengar (different shade of purple)
3. Misdreavus
4. Original Sugimori art Gengar
5. Shiny Mega Gengar
6. Banette
7. Gastly/Red & Blue Gengar
8. Clefable
9. Reverse-colored Gengar (Red body, purple eyes)
10. Not based on anything, but it reminds me of Zero from the Kirby series.
If Nintendo did add Gengar to Smash and considered all of these pallette swaps, the last 2 would be the least likely

I support to since my favorite pokemon is Gengar

Last edited by a moderator:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I support Gengar. It would be nice to have one more iconic Pokémon rep that isn’t reliant on whichever the current generation will be.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't be upset with Gengar's inclusion in the slightest. In fact, I'd like him better than any other newcomer of Smash 4. Outside of Mewtwo then of course... Who's acutally just a Melee veteran. Gengar would be very unique and I'd play him a lot. Wouldn't mind the sacrifice of Jigglypuff for him to happen either.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Add me to the list of supporters for the holy Gengar!

This is one Pokemon I wished was in the original 64 game due to his unique moveset back then. Looking at him now, his moveset expanded greatly and is deadly

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Always have and always will love Gengar. One of my favorite pokemon of all time, if not my favorite. I still have a large (though slightly worn down) pillow of him.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Sign me up, Gengar is one of my personal favorite pokemon, i'd love to see what if they would include moves based on his anime appearances.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Read this as Gengar's Shadow sneaks in. As if this was a support topic for his shadow and not the actual Pokemon :p

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Gengar is and has always been by far my favorite pokemon. But I don't think this is realistic.
They don't want more first gen representation and there's no reason to go back and choose Gengar.
Too late.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Of all the Gen 1 Pokemon I probably support him and want him in the most. Sign me up!

D

Deleted member

I have a legit feeling Gengar has the potential to be that dark horse.

I definitely would prefer Incineroar, but I honestly wouldn't mind the OG Ghost.

I guess put me down as a supporter.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I would absolutely love it if Gengar was a fighter. I see him as being a bit of a "dark Jigglypuff" character who fights with status effects and a few well-timed physical ones.

Put me on the list!

D

Deleted member

Conspiracy theory time.

There has been a strange influx of "leaks" involving Gengar for Smash earlier this week. Now, I doubt all three are legit, especially the last one, but it's interesting that of all things to show up in multiple "leaks", it's Gengar of all characters. Y'know, when the consensus is that we're getting a Gen 7 Pokémon?

geng1.png
geng2.png
geng3.png

Gengar is a Pokémon that has been getting merchandise and promotion for the past few years, so I've felt it would make sense that if there were to be a newcomer that was of an older Pokémon, it would be Gengar. But I've never really considered the idea as likely until now. Not just because of the fact Gengar is part of several "leaks". But because of other coincidences.
Such as the fact that in the diorama for Smash Ultimate, Wario and Dedede are spooped by seemingly nothing, with Pokémon Trainer sending out his Pokémon after something while Jigglypuff is just there.
spoop.png

As if there's someone that's supposed to be there between them. Like Gengar jumpscaring Wario/Dedede and Pokémon Trainer sending out his team to try to catch it?

As well as this:

The fact characters cannot pass through each other on neutral anymore, which people may assume is a glitch.
....but what if it's not? What if that's a deliberate mechanic and someone who is a ghost CAN pass through opponents as a unique trait?

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FeminineSoftKitty.mp4

(The MEDIA feature isn't showing it, so here's the direct link.)

I know that all of this seems like a stretch, but it's something I'm willing to consider as a legitimate possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I definitely support Gengar (as if it wasn't obvious by my avatar and user name). It has been my favorite Pokemon since the beginning and it would be awesome to see him get in this. I'm not sure how many people here played with Brawl mods, but I made a Gengar vertex edit over Wario back in the day that I was pretty proud of (the user name I used to mod under was Aafyre). It's great to see that he might actually have a slight chance to make it in this time but I'm not holding my breath.

D

Deleted member

Gengar has my support! One of my favorite pokemon of all time :) he's honestly cooler than that bird pokemon that everyone wants. Its interesting to see him in leaks. I hope he's in! And this is another leak i've found

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422736410
....huh, this seems mostly reasonable to me.
The main thing that has me question is Shadow being "slower" than Sonic, when Echoes are supposed to have the same running speed. So unless Shadow merely has slower attacks with some slightly different properties, this would be a source of contradiction.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
....huh, this seems mostly reasonable to me.
The main thing that has me question is Shadow being "slower" than Sonic, when Echoes are supposed to have the same running speed. So unless Shadow merely has slower attacks with some slightly different properties, this would be a source of contradiction.
plus i thought shadow was faster than sonic in a way

D

Deleted member

I’m all for it. I’d love to see a character ultize Ghost moves in Smash, which is why I also like Mimikyu. But I’m more than content with Gengar too.

D

Deleted member

You ever come across an idea for a Smash character that is just so out there and unlikely yet you can't help but like the idea? Gengar is one of mine. I highly doubt Smash is at a point where he would be considered anytime soon. But Gengar's a cool Pokemon and the Ghost and Poison typing offers some nice moveset potential.

Consider me a supporter.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I like Gengar.

The Gengar line is my favorite Ghost-type line.

I wish The Pokemon Company marketed him more. They could have mascots for each type; Pikachu for electric, Gastly or Gengar for Ghost...

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’ll support Gengar as I always have one in every one of my teams in the games, plus I love his moveset in Pokken. :grin:

D

Deleted member

I am here because of my friend who loves Pokémon and plays every game competitively.

He hopes that his favourite Pokémom joins Smash any day.

And of course, it is Gengar.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I still wish Gengar was the main antagonist of Pokken, that Burst Mode in it is amazing.

Oh and support solely because of that.

Top Bottom