• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General tips? (namely in the Sonic matchup)

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
I am attempting to learn Wario specifically as a counterpick character for the sonic matchup due to his ability to beat out Sonic's ground options.

That being said, I did not play Wario much prior to now and nobody in my town plays Wario extensively.

I would **** information if possible on the following:
Custom move set choices
Combos
Stage choices
Win condition (time out?)
Edge guarding utility
Gimmicks
Early KO setups
Etc.

thanks to anyone that responds to this.

Routa

Smash Lord
First I'm far from the best Wario main so if there is wrong information then I hope you guys correct me.

But... Customs eh? Use the normal Bite, Bike can be any of the customs one (I prefer the normal one), suggested Waft is the Flower one (has a smaller knockback, but charges faster and has bigger hitbox) and for Up-B I don't know :S (I use the normal one).

Bite is love Bite is life (I mean Bite is your best move against Sonic).

D-Throw -> Bike/Bair
U-Throw -> Uair/Nair/Waft (Up-B also works sometimes).
Fair -> Bite
Dash -> Bike/F-Smash/U-Smash
There are more ofc but I wanted to post some.

Dunno about Wii U stages, but in 3DS Wario is good in Prism Tower, Arena Ferox and Yoshi's Island (Brinstar is Wario's worst stage, but it isn't as bad as Little Mac in Tomodachi).

I hope I helped somehow.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
For edge guarding you can run off of the ledge and then immediately use your bike towards the ledge so that you will instantly have the bike available for throwing. Throwing it upwards can stop many approaches from your enemy, and it can rack up a lot of damage. Using a fully charged waft on the bike also extends the length of the hitbox.

Check out this video for some great tips on how to use the bike (2:07 for bike spawning, 2:19 for extended waft hitbox parts)

N-air is very useful for combos. Near the end of the animation, there's a hitbox on Wario's belly that will slightly launch opponents in the air. At low %'s, you can easily follow up with an u-air, a b-air, or even a waft.

For Sonic, chomp and bike beat just about all of Sonic's ground approaches. F-airs can be useful for approaching him, and up-throws followed by some u-airs or an u-tilt can be useful for juggling (I feel that Wario has the advantage when approaching Sonic from below).

Last edited:
Top Bottom