• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ideas for getting down from above opponents with R&L

JosekiTheGreat

Smash Cadet
I've been playing pretty much exclusively R&L since launch, after a few hundred for glory matches with a high win rate I've determined what might be a significant weakness to R&L. Mainly, I find my likelihood of losing a match to be directly proportional to how long I spent airborne! There are great uses for Rosalina's fair and bair, but those moves don't help us with getting back to a nuetral position (the position R&L thrive in) from an aerial state. Other than airdodge (easily punished by faster characters like Greninja, Fox, and Shiek) or her Dair, which is difficult to use due to it's limited hitbox and high landing lag, what other options really exist?

Other characters like ZSS, Greninja, shiek, have fast moving ways to get to the ground, or characters like link with a HUGE priority Dair have an easier time. What do you guys do in your matches to improve your chances of making back to the ground without getting hit again?

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Suicide and use the immortality frames on respawn to return to your neutral position again. :drflip:

On a more serious note, I found the slightly disjointed hitbox on dair is usually pretty effective, when used this way it helps for me to use it earlier than I normally would use an aerial on other characters when returning to the platform. Other than that, I generally try to go for the ledge when returning to the stage, rather than trying to land on the stage directly. Rosalina & Luma have some decent options to get back on the stage (fair helps me a lot usually), and from there you can usually defuse the situation well enough to get a neutral state again. :)

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Seconding the use of dair. It's just massively disjointed, and you're not even aiming to spike with it so even the weak hit at the end will do so long as you disrupt the opponent's movement. It's not a great option when they're in your face since it does take a little bit to come out, but then you could probably get away with a fastfall airdodge.

Life

Smash Hero
B-reverse down B could help.

I also find that some people will fall for using upB to go all the way across the stage, then pulling back towards them at the last possible second. They'll just overshoot a dash attack or grab.

Last edited:

Gandolftheman

Smash Rookie
Usually, what I do is call the Luma back to Rosalina and fast fall into a Dair. Her Dair is significantly better with the Luma, in fact, I would actually compare to Link Dair. Without Luma, however, it sucks. If your Luma's dead, you could either try to stall in the air until it reappears(good luck), try to fall and grab onto a ledge, or fall under a ledge and then UpB onto the stage without actually grabbing the ledge and landing on the stage. I recommend the latter.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
learning the spacing of her dair is key, it beats pretty much any attack. however, it can be baited and punished. it is pretty laggy, if used too low to autocancel it can be shielded and punished on landing lag.

if you get desperate and have luma, maybe up b and use luma to attack while you're in freefall. wont work every time, but it's some variety, most people wont expect luma being controllable.

Top Bottom