• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Dragon Quest Discussion - Forgotten Past, Promising Future

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Awesome! I feel like the NX reveal was another example of things coming out that shouldn't (it's quite a trend when Horii-san gets on stage), but it's nice to know we'll have a great jRPG, probably at launch too!

Oh, and DQX, really really hope this, and the inevitable sales of the upcoming games, makes them reconsider localisation. NX and PS4 (plus PC) would make the west a lot more lucrative and give them a great advertising potential.

They do seem to be pushing pretty hard with stuff like DQMSL too, so I think so, but it depends on how big the scripts are. DQ has amazing localisations and I don't want to see them rushed.

And yeah, Ni no Kuni was complicated, and the DQ fanbase do own 3DS' so there's not much reason to worry, but the lack of PS3 Heroes and the fact it's SE always have me a little worried. Hopefully the huge ammount of double dip this looks to be generating ensures they do both.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
A little bit more DQXI news:

The 3DS version is only dual-style for the beginning portion of the game

Meaning you'll probably get a proper map or something for the other screen and you'll have to choose which format you want to play the game in then... luckily you can change at any time though,so you're not missing too much.

Some more scans draw near!

Notice the PS4 version's battle scene in the top corner, it looks ever so prettiful.

And not exaclty news, but a theory for you all:
XI's hero could be the dragonlord!!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light is out today!

It's only available in Oceana and Asia from playstore, but here's an APK.

For those in the right region:

iOS

Android

And here's an invite code to become 'pals':
VBytUUme

I've not had time to play it to tell you my full thoughts, but it seems fun enough if you're interested in it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
A little bit more DQXI news:

The 3DS version is only dual-style for the beginning portion of the game

Meaning you'll probably get a proper map or something for the other screen and you'll have to choose which format you want to play the game in then... luckily you can change at any time though,so you're not missing too much.

Some more scans draw near!

Notice the PS4 version's battle scene in the top corner, it looks ever so prettiful.

And not exaclty news, but a theory for you all:
XI's hero could be the dragonlord!!
That theory sounds pretty interesting. I never really though about the logo like that. Hearing that, seeing DQ Builders, and playing through DQ1 right now, so much nostalgia lol

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
The Nostalgic DS and DQ IX style for he 3DS version is definite plus. It's going to be tough deciding on which to play with mainly.

Lazerith

Smash Rookie
I just want the 3DS DQ games to be localized. DQM and DQM2 are really good looking remakes of some of my favorite GBC games of all time and it really pains me to have to wait so long for localizations.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've finally finished a Dragon Quest game. The recent news for DQXI got me wanting to play DQ again, and I remembered that I left off on DQIV(DS) fairly close to the end.

While I've always enjoyed this series, I'd always stop part way through a game for whatever reason. I think this was the first DQ game I got, it's been in my backlog for so many years so it's nice to have finally see it through.

I enjoyed it well enough, though I have a feeling I'll enjoy DQV and DQVI more. The monster taming in V and the job system in VI are things I like a lot in other JRPGs.

DQV is next, but I'm going to wait a little because there are other games I'm playing at the moment.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I've finally finished a Dragon Quest game. The recent news for DQXI got me wanting to play DQ again, and I remembered that I left off on DQIV(DS) fairly close to the end.

While I've always enjoyed this series, I'd always stop part way through a game for whatever reason. I think this was the first DQ game I got, it's been in my backlog for so many years so it's nice to have finally see it through.

I enjoyed it well enough, though I have a feeling I'll enjoy DQV and DQVI more. The monster taming in V and the job system in VI are things I like a lot in other JRPGs.

DQV is next, but I'm going to wait a little because there are other games I'm playing at the moment.
Congrats! Though, I have to ask, is that including Chapter 6, or just the first five?

I hope you enjoy the rest too of course.

Anyways, there's not been a huge amount of news, XI screens draw near in higher quality and VIII 3D has a new ending, probably akin to the Chapter 6 true end in IV DS, where you get it for completing the ultimate trial dungeon which you unlock after beating the game once.

So with that I wanted to talk about DQMSL, but I tend to prefer staying positive in this thread, and sadly that's something I struggle to do with this game. The play times are pretty good, and there's a lot of depth, but almost too much of it, and in the wrong places (the monster management is insane, but the battles are kinda bland), a bunch of RNG bull, and the normal mobile treadmill effect. It didn't help that the first week they gave away so much free crap that the game lost all challenge, but on the flip side going through it kinda fresh they do give you a lot just with tutorials and stuff anyways, and you eventually reach a level wall if you don't take everything the game gives you. It's far from the worst F2P mobile game I've played, but I'm seemingly just incompatible with the formula... and when you can pick up the DQ remakes on android and iOS anyways for very cheap I really don't see the appeal (let alone the fact I just enjoy playing on my 3DS more if I'm out and about).

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Congrats! Though, I have to ask, is that including Chapter 6, or just the first five?

I hope you enjoy the rest too of course.
Just the first five. I may return for the postgame stuff added to the DS version, but I have no plans to do so anytime soon. I really want to move onto something new now.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest, I just have to find a way to not let myself get burned out. I've also played parts of VIII and IX, and enjoyed them as well. However my PS2 no longer works, so I'm not going back to VIII anytime soon. As for IX, like I said, I want to move onto something new for me.

I've had V and VI, both on DS, sitting untouched for several years now. I've heard good things about V, so I'm looking forward to playing it next.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I have just realised I forgot to report on the DQH trailer, I had meant to earlier, but hey, better late than never?

English dubbed goodness, and for the most part pretty good dubbing. I'm dubious about Alena and not liking Terry or Healix's voices so far, but with just one line I'm not passing judgement yet... though loosing Kugimiya Rie as Healix and Shoko-tan as Alena will be sad.

But that's not why we're gathered here today... No, instead I'd like to show you all this:

Dragon Quest VII Mobile!!!

So far japan's the only place it's confirmed, but it's still a good thing for us Questers. It's based on the 3DS version so likely has the exact same script, and therefore the localasation of said script gives them 2 products to sell in Western markets. Hopefully this makes up for some of their forthcomings about the profitablility of DQVII 3D... though I'd still play it on my 3DS over smartphone... that said if they time it right they can do a simealtaneous launch, and market them both at the same time... not that they market DQ much, but I'm sure it would save them some money...

Well, there's bound to be plenty more DQ news at TGS, so I'll likely have another multi update again sometime between the 17th and 20th.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Hello everyone, it's been a while. I wasn't expecting to update until a treasure chest of DQH landed in my hands, but it appears I need to post a picture.

Note the languages... It looks like we're getting DQVII mobile, and given it's the same script exactly as the 3DS version one can hope that it comes alongside at the same time.

Also, while I'm here I'll leave a link to the Dragon Quest Youtube Channel which is doing a series of videos on DQH at the moment, with 6 videos so far it goes over some of the mechanics as well as the character's playstyles. It also shows that the game's dual-audio and can be switched at any time, for those that may matter to... but the English voice work is pretty charming, even if a few of the lines fall a little flat, so I'm questioning if I'ma have to play through each mission twice to hear the scenes in both...

Either way, see you all when we're all playing DQH or have more news to discuss.

finalark

SNORLAX
Story time you guys.

Earlier today I went to GameStop to pick of a copy of DQIX, since I had lost my copy when I moved and wanted to play it again. When I went in and asked the woman working there if they had a copy, she said yes but informed me that it wasn't boxed. I was a bit bummed but settled on a generic box instead. But then, when I got home and popped open my new game DQIV was sitting in the case instead.

Instead of returning it I decided to start up a blind play through since I was in the mood for something a bit more old school. I'm glad I did, because so far I'm really enjoying it. I just started chapter 2 and it's been a blast so far.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Story time you guys.

Earlier today I went to GameStop to pick of a copy of DQIX, since I had lost my copy when I moved and wanted to play it again. When I went in and asked the woman working there if they had a copy, she said yes but informed me that it wasn't boxed. I was a bit bummed but settled on a generic box instead. But then, when I got home and popped open my new game DQIV was sitting in the case instead.

Instead of returning it I decided to start up a blind play through since I was in the mood for something a bit more old school. I'm glad I did, because so far I'm really enjoying it. I just started chapter 2 and it's been a blast so far.
Chapter 2? Tsarevna is very cool!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, either it or 5 is my favorite, I really struggle choosing. If the DS version had party talk in English I'd probably go with IV, but I prefer playing on DS to phone so I think I have to give it to V, but either way they're both fantastic games. I hope it continues to impress in it's old school charms, although I always think it's actually fairly modern feeling compared to most of the RPGs released 1 console later than it even (IV was an NES game, and though obviously the DS version is a remake, it maintains much the same structure).

I realise I never reviewed Dragon Quest Heroes, but it's a bit late now, so I'll just say a few things:

Positives:
The monster medal and objective defending make for an interesting tower defense type gameplay which is really unexpected and quite fun.
The dialogue is incredibly charming, and the English dub is delightful, except for Healix, but after the tutorial he doesn't get that many lines, and for the tutorial I can switch over to Rie Kugimiya and everything is great! (I have a voice crush on her, okay, leave me alone!)... oh, and the Walla's pretty bad too, but again not often an issue.
The weak point system make bigger enemies really interesting, if sometimes very frustrating... less conceptually interesting than the items in Hyrule Warriors, but doesn't feel like you're waiting around like in that game.
The spells are interesting and fun to play about with, adding a unique twist and another layer of strategy, at least until you get enough MP to spam things.

Cons:
The combo move sets aren't that great. Some are interesting (Nera particularly), but generally they rely on the spells to make the characters fun. They lack the versatility and the much of the fun flashiness of Hyrule Warriors or One Piece and so you normally end up doing one of two combos on repeat (one for groups, one for stronger enemies).
Apart from the Tower Defense it's really not that good objective-wise. For the faults of Musou games they do tend to keep you busy with defending from raids, beating lieutenants and generals, going to story objectives, capturing outposts and just trying to balance all of these at once. Heroes feels far more repetitive than that, with defend and objective while destroying warp points interrupted by occasional boss fights...
You move very slowly for the size of the battlefield. The non tower defense objectives thus end up feeling like a slog because you can't sprint or grab a horse (or even a Wagon, though I imagine that will be added in the sequel)... Zoom only makes up for it so much.

Basically I recommend it, a little more than the usual Dynasty Warrior games, but I can't recommend it as much as Hyrule Warriors, and that's coming from someone who is a much bigger DQ fan than Zelda.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I thought I did too... I was pretty excited last night so it must've slipped my mind in my frantic celebrations. Cannot wait!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The one DQ (besides X) that I have yet to play in the mainline series. I can't wait.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'm looking forward to both. I never finished VIII, and probably wasn't going to return to it anytime soon because I don't have a working PS2 at the moment, and now I have no reason to go back with all the improvements in the 3DS version. I've also heard VII is pretty good.

2016 is going to be a pretty big year for JRPGs.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I've been hard grinding in DQ9 spontaneously so that I can level up the legacy bosses that I've collected.

Even though 3 Gladiators and 1 Priest seems pretty effective for an offensive boss-killing party, I prefer to roll with 1 Pally, 2 Glads, and 1 Sage for a somewhat all-around party.

I've given up on achieving achlemiracles after trying to tamper with the system. My old file still has a lot of powerful equips anyways.

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
The announcement of DQVII and VIII 3DS' localisation got me so excited that I went back to replay the series! I've replayed DQI, IV, V and DQMJ2 to completion, with ongoin runs of II, III and VI. DQVII is the only game in the main series aside from X I've never been able to play, so I can't even describe how excited I am to finally experience it! I've heard it's a real gem. I really, really hope we get DQMJ3 in the future, too. It sucks that we missed out on Terry's Wonderland and Iru & Luca :/

I'm thinking of picking up DQ Heroes soon, too. It has Alena and Yangus, which are my two favourite DQ characters, so that's great!

Last edited:
Top Bottom