• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Dragon Quest Discussion - Forgotten Past, Promising Future

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm hoping the C&D will lead to something. Outside of Type-0, the only thing I recall them C&Ding were fanmade games. Since this is the former, one can hope we'll get the 3DS version. VII is the only DQ I haven't touched, so I really do want to play it.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
There's no legal way for me to touch VII in my territory so I'm in the same boat.

As if That's not enough news though:

Dragon Quest VI hits mobile tonight

As such we'll have the whole Zenethian trilogy and if they want to continue on they'll have to dive into IX or do a translation of VII at last... Or, ya know, focus on Monsters Super Light...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Okay I forgot to update with links so here we go:

Android
iOS

In other news:

Dragon Quest gets a new Official Twitter Account!

It may not sound like much, but it does show they're putting effort into the marketting of this series, and likely points to more game announcements in the near future... I mean why have a new Twitter account if you've only got Heroes and Super Light to talk about? They do have it protected, and they appear to have been bombarded with follow requests going by the Operation Hero and WDMDQ pages... I'm sure it'll change, but perhaps they're gearing up for announcements right now?

In a bit of a downer though they did forget to update the SE blog with DQ6's release, so perhaps they're not that worried... I guess we'll see; if they are doing a big DQ announcement binge this would line up, but I'm sceptical.

Either way the VII remake is looking more and more likely everyday... though now I think about it that's going to get confusing to talk about with FF fans around...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Looks like the Dragon Quest Twitter account has officially opened. Everyone give them a follow.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
...but not in English?

Ah well, if it's about to be translated in French, then by all reason it should be getting an English localization as well.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
...but not in English?

Ah well, if it's about to be translated in French, then by all reason it should be getting an English localization as well.
Pretty sure it's going to be in English. Japan Expo's in France and they weren't planning on officially saying anything, so I guess that was all Horii got to say.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Man, first Zero Escape 3 is finally happening and Weavile is in Pokken, now Dragon Quest still has a chance outside of Japan.

This has been a good week for video games.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Man, first Zero Escape 3 is finally happening and Weavile is in Pokken, now Dragon Quest still has a chance outside of Japan.

This has been a good week for video games.
Add Red Ash to the mix, personally this weeks more exciting in news than E3 (though admittedly only in new, E3 had full videos and game play and stuff). That said there's still time for Nintendo to announce their 'sorry for E3' Direct... not much time, and I don't expect it 'till later this month, but if they really want to blow our minds, I'm ready for it!

Oh, and Horii-san also, yet again, re-iterated that DQXI will be offline and on home consoles, but I don't think that's news. Still nothing about DQX, but if these sell well enough who knows what could happen?

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I heard DQVIII on 3DS doesn't have random encounters? Sounds great. While I don't hate random encounters, I'm excited to explore the world map at my leisure. I heard something about turbo battles as well, but didn't look much into it.

I find DQVIII too slow compared to other DQ games. With these changes, I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Turbo mode sounds great! The animation lengths do make that game a little difficult to play through again.

I personally prefer random battles as the lack of them really defeats the purpose of dungeons... though I'm aware I'm in the minority on this one. That said, on the over world that would be amazing.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I have played a French build of DQ Heroes at Japan Expo, and just like Hyrule Warriors did, it confirmed that Musou games really aren't my jam.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I have played a French build of DQ Heroes at Japan Expo, and just like Hyrule Warriors did, it confirmed that Musou games really aren't my jam.
:( I'm worried that I'll feel the same way too. I'm not really into Musou games, but I was hoping that this DQ influence would add a little bit of something.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I am into Musou games, and I'm kinda worried because it seems to have taken away from the things I like about them... But I've heard enough positive to think it adds it's own twist; so I try not to think of it as a Musou and just it's own action spin-off.

And hey, it's DQ, so I know if nothing else I'll enjoy it for the fan service (and Rie Kugimiya as Homiron assuming we get dual audio).

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Oh dear... I really don't want another minecraft rip-off... I really don't see what DQ can add other than the monsters either

PS exclusive though, I think it's safe to say that SE are laying all their JRPG eggs in one basket recently. Considering how it's still not doing well in Japan I do question the move, but maybe they can get systems moving. Either way looks like the Nintendo love is limited to remakes... Don't know what that means for the upcoming Monsters game.

(ib4 Bravely Third is PS too)

Last edited:

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone recommend Torneko: The Last Hope? I think it might be a fun game to try but to have a Dragon Quest fan confirm it's any good would encourage me to buy a copy.
Also, I found something cool for you guys:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I actually don't like Fushigi no Dungeon, not Dragon Quest, not Etrian Odyssey, and not Pokémon... so sadly I can't recommend it, but if you like Mystery Dungeon games it might well be up your street. I've heard Kid Yangus is really good, but never really spoken to any mystery dungeon fans who rave about Torneko though.

And, I do love me some Dragon Quest town themes, they always feel so homely and relaxing.

In the news this week however, and mildly related to something I've already mentioned today:

Dragon Quest Builders Director Revealed

Kazuya Niinou, the director behind Trauma Centrer:Under the Knife and Etrian Odyssey will be taking the helm. I loved both of those games (especially EO, which is up in my top 5 jRPG series) so I think it's gotten my interest; still unsure if I'll buy it, but it's a start. Oh, and here's some new screenshots for y'all!

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
A Jump scan indicates that DQ will have a livestream on the 28th. Jump also promising information on this big new title.

Places are assuming it'll be Dragon Quest XI, especially since DQX will unveiled the same way. Can't wait!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
So Much Dragon Quest!! Roll on Tuesday!

Extra News:

Dragon Quest of the Stars Announced

It' a social mobile RPG, so I know it won't appeal to some, but hey, Dragon Quest. I'll keep an eye on it, but there are so many DQ games for this 30th it's kinda unreal.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Been playing some DQ1 on iOS. Game was like 3 bucks so why not. It's actually a pretty good port, I'm impressed.

I want to get III and IV eventually since I love III and IV has party chat in this version. Going to wait in hopes for a sale though.

Yellowood Lovely

Smash Cadet
I'm really happy there's a Dragon Quest Forum here. Call me a fairweather fan but I consider DQ9 to be the greatest game ever made (imho) which is shocking considering it's lack of Lucina but it's a beautiful thing... Think I've banked a thousand hours on that one! DQ3 and the monsters series has a place in my heart though, what are the details on the new Joker game & also I zoned out of the news world for a year, will I ever get the LMS PS4 in America?

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Call me a fairweather fan but I consider DQ9 to be the greatest game ever made (imho)
Even though Dragon Quest IV is an amazing game, I would have to say that I lack the ability to like a game more than I liked Dragon Quest IX. I miss the first time I played through it, since I remember how everything goes now. It was really an amazing experience, and if a game ever beats it out, I might need to reconsider what it means for a game to be a game, haha

Yellowood Lovely

Smash Cadet
and if a game ever beats it out, I might need to reconsider what it means for a game to be a game, haha
Aptly put haha but yeah I agree the first time was special but in hindsight it was a really average rpg. What got me was the customization element but more importantly that it was just FUN to play and grind and then, you know, go into the post-game and do the same thing ENDLESSLY in grottoes with huge challenges to overcome still. The perfect recipe for a game! 5 years strong!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
That's part of what I love about Dragon Quest, they are average jRPGs, but polished to perfection. They do take risks for the genre in many ways (I-V most obviously, but IX's single/multiplayer mix was pretty new too), but they don't define themselves that way, they shine for their finely crafted difficulty curves (Cave to Rhone withstanding) and balance... sure no game is perfect, but as I've gotten better and better at RPGs I find myself honing in on the best ways to do things, where in DQ almost any strategy is just as viable, and with the game adds new challenges so you can rethink your strategy, but without being obvious gimmicks either...

It makes you think efficiently too with the items thanks to bag sizes and money being fairly tight, so no battle feels like filler, you have to grind efficiently, or keep your MP up for the boss fight. Grinding in other jRPGs tends to feel like you'r just pressing the same thing over and over, but that doesn't really cut it in DQ, and even when it does you're still conscious of your resources. I like the feeling of finding a way to be incredibly over powered just as much as the next guy, but it's a fleeting feeling, and a game that challenges you and makes you think about every battle, even the grinding ones, holds my attention a lot longer.

And of course they're fun and charming and wonderful, which always helps.

Although I do have games I prefer over any DQ game, and even 3 RPGs (Final Fantasy 5, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and the wRPG Arcanum), they're consistently great games, and it's my Favourite video-game franchise over-all.

Wait, what was the reason for this rant... oh, IX, yeah, that game was great, IV and V both beat it out for me, but it is a fantastic game, which I have spent many an hour on. Having so much content with the grottoes made it a blast that just went on and on, and was perfect for a handheld Dragon Quest. You could go on, bash some slimes, have fun, and stop. Or you could go practically endlessly go do something more substantial if you were on a longer journey, and you could even invite friends to play; it was frankly amazing!

Sadly we don't have much Joker 3 information, just that it's happening, the only statement so far is:

"Series creator Yuji Hori says Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 will have new systems, monsters, and connectivity functions. The game will have a new title logo designed by Akira Toriyama with the Nochora as the center."

They'll probably tell more soon though, they're just announcing things like wild at the moment so nothing's getting a huge ammount of spotlight.

As for LMS PS4, no news yet, but it seems unlikely. If DQH does well enough it might happen for DQXI (assuming of course it's for PS4, but it certainly seems likely at this point), but I wouldn't hold my breath personally.

Yellowood Lovely

Smash Cadet
That's part of what I love about Dragon Quest, they are average jRPGs, but polished to perfection. They do take risks for the genre in many ways (I-V most obviously, but IX's single/multiplayer mix was pretty new too), but they don't define themselves that way, they shine for their finely crafted difficulty curves (Cave to Rhone withstanding) and balance... sure no game is perfect, but as I've gotten better and better at RPGs I find myself honing in on the best ways to do things, where in DQ almost any strategy is just as viable, and with the game adds new challenges so you can rethink your strategy, but without being obvious gimmicks either...

It makes you think efficiently too with the items thanks to bag sizes and money being fairly tight, so no battle feels like filler, you have to grind efficiently, or keep your MP up for the boss fight. Grinding in other jRPGs tends to feel like you'r just pressing the same thing over and over, but that doesn't really cut it in DQ, and even when it does you're still conscious of your resources. I like the feeling of finding a way to be incredibly over powered just as much as the next guy, but it's a fleeting feeling, and a game that challenges you and makes you think about every battle, even the grinding ones, holds my attention a lot longer.

And of course they're fun and charming and wonderful, which always helps.

Although I do have games I prefer over any DQ game, and even 3 RPGs (Final Fantasy 5, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and the wRPG Arcanum), they're consistently great games, and it's my Favourite video-game franchise over-all.

Wait, what was the reason for this rant... oh, IX, yeah, that game was great, IV and V both beat it out for me, but it is a fantastic game, which I have spent many an hour on. Having so much content with the grottoes made it a blast that just went on and on, and was perfect for a handheld Dragon Quest. You could go on, bash some slimes, have fun, and stop. Or you could go practically endlessly go do something more substantial if you were on a longer journey, and you could even invite friends to play; it was frankly amazing!

Sadly we don't have much Joker 3 information, just that it's happening, the only statement so far is:

"Series creator Yuji Hori says Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 will have new systems, monsters, and connectivity functions. The game will have a new title logo designed by Akira Toriyama with the Nochora as the center."

They'll probably tell more soon though, they're just announcing things like wild at the moment so nothing's getting a huge ammount of spotlight.

As for LMS PS4, no news yet, but it seems unlikely. If DQH does well enough it might happen for DQXI (assuming of course it's for PS4, but it certainly seems likely at this point), but I wouldn't hold my breath personally.
So much knowledge. Is DQMJ3 confirmed for 3DS though?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
BREAKING NEWS!

DQXI "In Search of Departed Time" and "Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Scanner" logos leaked. No more information available at this time. The live stream where this will likely be announced tomorrow at 8am GMT can be found here.

Battle Scanners seems a weird name and has me thinking NFC or QR based stuff... I'm a little dubious but we're getting a Joker game too so I can ignore it if it seems like a rip-off. As for DQXI, well, it sounds like a Japanese Dragon Quest title, there's not much to gleam from it... We'll see what console it's for soon!

And yes, DQMJ3 is 3DS confirmed.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm glad they're going multiplat, but that's not the combination I expected. Was thinking PS3/4/Vita lol

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Unreal 4 confirmed... How is 3DS going to work? Streaming?

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Wow, 3DS version looks super hype. Retro bottom screen is cool. DQXI is essentially 3 different games lol
Really tempted to just buy both

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
The fact they had so much to show of the 3DS version and just showed two unpopulated environments and not even a battle in the PS4 version has me worried... but they do look like different games, so I'll probably get both too!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I feel like the PS4 is way off on being completed. But then again I heard that they're aiming for release within the 30th anniversary? I have faith though, DQ hasn't let me down yet. I wasn't considering the 3DS version at first, but I'm hyped after seeing that. With PS4 version on UE4, at least development should go smoothly.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Yeah, it's weird that the earliest hints were of home console and that seems the furthest from done though... Hopefully this doesn't go Ni no Kuni on us and only get the PS4 version localized.

They showed off a hell of a lot. I'm hoping we get Of the Stars too, as that looks kinda like DQIX; I need more info, but if it is DQIX for mobiles that'd be pretty awesome, and might actually get me playing on my phone properly.

Still not sold on Builders, but it looks amazing visually, pretty much exactly how I imagined the insides of DQ 1 buildings looking.

You can ride all the monsters in DQMJ3, which looks cool as heck, so yay... I so want to be a Slime Knight now!

Sad that Battle Scanners is a Battle Road game just rebranded, I thought it would be similar but for consoles or mobile, so it's saddening that it's never coming westwards, but I guess I can't complain as it was fairly unlikely if it was card or figure based anyways...

Oh, and Heroes II has Maribel and Carver confirmed... probably more, but I started fangasming when Maribel showed up; espec as to release it in Europe they'd assumedly be forced to localise DQVII as we don't know who Maribel is

Also, they just mentioned the NX!!! I wasn't paying attention at that point so I don't even know in what capacity (my Japanese isn't strong enough to translate, but I can normally get the jist), but they did mention it...

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
DQXI is officially the first announced NX title lol. Before Nintendo can officially reveal their console too.

I want to hope that Square sees this as an opportunity to be a little more aggressive with localizing Dragon Quest for western territories. I want to see faster localizations. With DQVII and VIII coming here (because of Horii's slip up), I'd like to think they're pushing harder this time.

As for Ni no Kuni, it shouldn't be a situation like that again. That was complicated because of the DS version needing the physical book that comes with it. I think that was the biggest reason it was passed on iirc.

Top Bottom