• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Consensus in Ten Questions

Slifer-san

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, I have a small favor to ask. I was talking with my local scene and heard a lot of different opinions on the game, in terms and what they thought of things they liked watching, ect. So I was wondering what the people of Smashboards thought.

1. How do you like Smash 4 so far?

2. How do you like the EVO stage selection?

3. How do you like the stage selection in your locals?

4. What do you think about using customs?

5. What do you think about watching customs?

6. What do you think about equipment?

7. Do you support more patches after the next one?

8. Do you like how 2v2 is in Smash 4?

9. Assuming nothing huge changes, do you see yourself playing smash 4 in a year?

10. Assuming nothing changes, do you see yourself playing smash 4 in 5 years?

(I assume most wont have an answer for this one yet)

Sorry it's a bit long. Im very curious what people think. Thanks for your time!

Raijinken

Smash Master
Hey everyone, I have a small favor to ask. I was talking with my local scene and heard a lot of different opinions on the game, in terms and what they thought of things they liked watching, ect. So I was wondering what the people of Smashboards thought.

9. Assuming nothing huge changes, do you see yourself playing smash 4 in a year?

1. Smash 4 is my favorite entry in the series so far.
2. The stage selection is disappointingly small, but I guess that's to be expected.
3. Stage selection in locals is also disappointingly narrow.
4. Customs are excellent and should be allowed without restriction (bar bugs such as reflected Order Tackle)
5. Watching customs is more fun than watching without customs.
6. As much as I'd love for equipment to be valid, I don't think it is.
7. I support ongoing balance. PC gaming shows that such balance leads to better results in the long run. I don't see validity in any arguments about "letting the meta settle."
8. I prefer 2v2 over 1v1 in all Smash games.
9. Yes.
10. Yes.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Best yet, IMO. Perfect blend of accessibility and depth. Also Mega Man.

A bit meager, but I understand it's because the stages had to be pre-screened for streaming rights, so it's pointless arguing it.

Well, my "locals" are Anther's Ladder, which I do enjoy Skyloft, but I still think it needs to be more.

Absolutely necessary and greatly beneficial.

Exciting! People are coming up with strategies all the time!

Impractical and far too much work to balance properly. Maybe when Wii U modding is more prevalent there can be uses for equipment, but even that's a slim possibility.

What are we at, a patch every three months? I think that's fine.

Most competitive 2v2 environment in Smash by far. So many combos and synergies to be explored!

Absolutely.

Also absolutely.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7

1) It's great! I only have a few, very minor complaints, and even those are tiny.
2) Also great! It's unfortunate that the list is missing a few really solid stages, but I can understand why. And thank god for FLSS...
3) I like it, but I'd hope so - I'm the TO!
4) I like customs; it's great to see a lot more viable characters! (and this is coming from a Sheik/ZSS main)
5) It's neat; I like seeing the different options characters have, and also seeing more than just Diddy is a nice added bonus.
6) Cool casually, absolutely no place in competitive play for a huge number of reasons.
7) Yes, but there needs to be a large amount of time until the next balance patch; 6 months absolute minimum IMO
8) Yes, yes I do. Doubles (and Triples too!) are awesome in Sm4sh, and probably one of my favorite parts of the game!
9) Yes.
10) Yes.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935

1) It's pretty great. It has some issues, but nothing horrible, and there's a huge breadth of creativity available for those who want it. It's also a great entry for getting people into the series.

2) A bit dull. I feel like the Smash community has been overly conservative with the stage lists, especially with regard to Brawl stages - the legal stages from Brawl just kind of got in by default, even though there's new, similar stages that might just be better choices for a wider range of strong stages. There's overly many stages that favour upward KOs in there. The music copyright issue makes Omegas close to impossible, but in general I think they can make for great counterpicks and would like to see them used.

3) Pretty good! It has Delfino Plaza over the other travelling stages, a choice which seems to be common but I don't really understand, but it has Palutena's Temple Omega over FD, and Omegas as counterpick. It's pretty close to what I'd like to see anyway.

4 + 5. It's incredibly fun. With almost no exceptions, custom tournaments have been more interesting to watch and play than normal ones simply due to the creativity people can put into it and the characters that become viable. Customs are one of the reasons to play Smash 4 over any other Smash game, and they shouldn't be ignored for the sake of them being different.

6. It's kind of neat for experimenting and for making gimmick characters, but otherwise I don't really care. Seems more suited towards the single-player modes.

7. Sure. Patches are always scary, but if done well, they can keep a game alive for a very long time. We're in a similar situation as Project M here, and that's not a bad thing.

8. For 1v1 my favourite game will probably forever be Melee, but good god Smash 4 2v2 is definitely the best of its kind. The game has so many extreme characters and so many options for synergy, it's fantastic. It actually feels like 2v2 rather than 1v1 x 2.

9. Even if something huge changes, I probably will.

10. No idea where I am in life then, that's a hard question.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I've been really enjoying it!

I think it's a step in the right direction. Still lacking, but there are external issues that can't be helped.

Other than random venue owners running FD-only, I am the one currently hosting my locals, so... I like it :p

I think it's a different way to play in which knowledge becomes more prominent.

It's fascinating to know how other people use their tools.

It's unfortunately heavily unbalanced. Stats change alone is a neat feature, but most special effects are too much for a healthy competition.

I will always welcome change, even if I get to complain if I believe said change is worse than its previous version.

I like playing it as much as in any SSB game. But I for some reason dislike watching it, no matter the game.

Most likely

Not a fan of thinking THAT much in advance, but assuming nothing too drastic, yes, I probably will be.

NeuroticSpirit

Smash Rookie
NNID
EgoZachtor
3DS FC
3239-2866-0571
1. I love Sm4sh. I feel it's a huge improvement since Brawl. And a lot more accessible than Melee. So far it's brought me so much closer to my friends and possibly allowing me to join the community. I love it.

2. Understandable. Good. Safe rather than sorry. I'm hoping for more experimentation in the future however.

3. I've only been to one tournament so far, but it was the same stagelist. So I'm definitely cool with it.

4. Haven't got around to playing with them too much. It's fun though.

5. It's interesting to say the least. It allows more personal play. Although I don't think customs should ever dominate non customs. Personal opinion though.

6. Fun for casual play, shouldn't go past there.

7. Yeah, as more DLC characters are released I expect more patches. As long as they aren't ridiculous and demote competitive play I'm all for it.

8. I've yet to get into 2v2. Something I look forward to. I should probably watch footage of it.

9. Definitely, I played Brawl alone for years.

10. I'd like to be. I think the only reason I wouldn't be is in case of more important life duties. It certainly wouldn't be because of tiring from the game.

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
Thoroughly enjoy it, then again I liked Brawl outside of a few nerve-wrecking things.

Stage list is a bit too small, but their hands are tied on it, so... eh.

Pretty darn good actually, though I'd still argue for Skyloft at least.

I think it's pretty great, gives the game that unique "piece" to separate it from the rest of the series. I'm not one of those "OMG it needs customs or the game will die" folks, but I think it helps, even the "janky" ones to an extent.

Same as above really, except more enjoyable to watch since there's different stats and matchup changes that come with it, while not being insanely different.

Not a fan, actually. Namely because it becomes a matter of who can find the best equipment setup and having toyed with it a bit, I could see where that actually would get silly, as opposed to say custom moves.

Absolutely... but not for a good while at least. I prefer games get a chance to breathe and we all learn to get around problems rather than they just get patched out. Too much patching can be as detrimental as "not enough".

Without a doubt. I need to play 2v2 in tourney more though, I keep letting my teammates down because eI suck at trying to follow the game with so much going on. D:

In a year? Absolutely.

This one is tricky for me to answer - to be honest I'm on the tail end of my competitive days most likely. Getting up there in age and life is already interfering a lot in my Smash time (or wait, that should be vice-versa shouldn't it... lol). If I'm still gaming as much as I hope to be, I definitely see myself being fully invested in Smash 4 years from now. Once I get into a competitive game I enjoy, I'm kind of a die-hard with it. :-p

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team

1. So far, smash 4 is my favorite smash game, honestly favorite competitive game, by a big margin. It's really, really good.

2. EVO's stage selection is "okay", FLSS is a really good thing but Skyloft, Kongo, and Wuhu Island should definitely be legal stages. It's still a huge move in the right direction versus APEX; I really can't complain.

3. Our locals have awesome stage rules, 13 legal stages with FLSS. I do wish we'd ban Windy Hill Zone and allow Halberd, but oh well, can't win them all.

4. I enjoy this game radically more when I'm using customs. Playing without customs mostly makes me salty I can't use the full potential of the various characters.

5. Customs are a lot more fun to watch. I think they on average make matches more tactical, and I feel like when I'm watching customs I'm a lot more likely to be shown something I didn't know just because there's so much more total gameplay variety possible.

6. Equipment is really bad and is rightly banned everywhere. I see no merit whatsoever in the system.

7. I support as many patches as Nintendo is willing to offer so long as their current strong design direction is held. It's possible to make the game worse with a patch and I really don't want that, but so far I trust Nintendo not to do that.

8. I really don't like 2v2 in smash 4 very much; I think the dynamics of the game make 2v2 not work well. 4v4, on the other hand, is really great.

9. Yes.

10. Yes.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I absolutely love Smash 4. It is like the inverse of Melee, but still amazing. Melee was fast paced and primarily offensive, with some emphasis on defense as well. Brawl was too slow for me, and heavily favored defense over offense (not to mention it had tripping). Smash 4, to me, is like the opposite of Melee...but in a good way. It is moderately paced and primarily focuses on defensive strategies, but also employs offensive strategies as well.

Unlike Melee, however, Smash 4 is exponentially far less technical. And because of the slower pace of the game, everyone can jump in: Both casual and competitive players alike. And I really, really love that. To me, it ultimately does the best in the series when it comes to making the most amount of people happy, regardless of how they like to play the game. And something that makes the most amount of people happy is something that I will ultimately treasure and cherish more than anything else.

The fact that it is the most balanced game in the series also helps, too. Sure, there are a few problems. Such as Diddy being noticeably better than every other character, and Lucina being completely outclassed by Marth. But even if this isn't completely fixed by patches in the future, the fact still remains that you can pretty much pick any character that you like, and you have a reasonable enough chance to do well in the competitive scene with that character. Or in casual matches for that matter. This balance is the 2nd thing that appeals to me the most about this game. The third thing being custom moves, which I will cover later.

Smash 4 feels like Street Fighter 4 to me, while Melee feels like Street Fighter 3 to me. Both are amazing games, but with their own flair. And while competitive players may end up preferring Melee/Street Fighter 3, for me personally, I will always love Smash 4/Steet Fighter 4 more due to how the game feels much more balanced overall, there are more characters to pick, there are more options to diversify your characters (customs/ultras), and how the game's mechanics make it to where pretty much anyone can play and have a chance to win/be successful competitively.

Duck Hunt stage is going to cause problems for certain characters, like Little Mac (extreme example) or Ganondorf. Other than that it is an okay stage.

While I understand why Skyloft, Kongo Jungle, and Wuhu Island are banned for their music: I honestly would argue that Mario Circuit (Wii U) should be allowed.

The stage itself doesn't seem any less obtrusive than the other three stages. Though it does have problems, like the other three stages. Namely how certain areas are walk-offs (Offroad, Bridge 2, Flower Bed, Start Line sections), and how the ceiling of the Anti-Gravity section can kill you. But other than that, it's really not that bad. Skyloft has one more walk-off section than Mario Circuit does (Bridge, Plaza, Residential District, Bazaar, Isle of the Goddess sections). Wuhu Island has a few as well (Bridge, Beach, Fountain, Cliff sections). Plus, the Boat section on Wuhu Island can kill players just like how the Antigravity section's ceiling can kill players. As for Kongo Jungle, it has the barrel that can be used for stalling purposes, especially for characters with amazing recoveries.

So if people are trying to push for these three stages, I honestly don't see why Mario Circuit shouldn't be considered as well. Because, unlike those three stages, Mario Circuit doesn't have any copywriter music to warrant it to be auto-banned. So unless I am missing something completely broken about this stage, I feel as though it should be allowed.

Overall though, I am mostly fine with the EVO stage selection, beyond it lacking Mario Circuit as an optional stage.

I don't play competitively unfortunately, as much as I would love to. So I honestly don't know.

Customs on vs Customs off environment are both viable choices for playing Smash 4 competitively. And while I prefer playing with Customs on, the choice you make is like choosing what cola you like more.

One isn't better than the other. It's like Coca-Cola vs Pepsi. Some prefer the taste of one more than the other, but they are still relatively the same thing.

Customs on allow a lot more variety when it comes to playing the game. It allows Mario to actually be extremely threatening in neutral thanks to Scalding FLUDD, and in particular it can give mid to lower-tier characters a much larger chance to shine (Palutena/Marth/Wii Fit/Bowser/Ganondorf/Charizard/Kirby/Ike/etc).

Of course, there are some problems with custom moves as well. Heavy Skull Bash's risk vs reward, Villager camping being monotonous, Kong Cyclone having super armor, Order Tackle's glitch on reflectors, and etc. Not to mention the huge pain in the *** it is to unlock the moves. Because reasons.

But ultimately, the positives that custom moves provide outweigh the negatives. And for me personally, I have a lot more fun playing with custom moves on. Though I won't look down upon anyone who prefers to not play with them. The metagames that both environments provide are equally viable in my eyes; so it's okay to just pick the one you prefer. As long as you don't look down upon someone who has a different opinion from yours in regards to picking custom moves or not.

It is extremely fun for me, both to watch and play. For certain characters, such as Mario, the set that you pick can make your character feel like an entirely different character altogether. And with variety, comes more strategies. And it is always fun to see new strategies being employed by a wide range of players, especially competitive ones. Personally, I cannot wait for EVO simply due to it allowing custom move sets. Probably one of the things I am most hyped and excited for this year, honestly.

A fun distraction, but highly uncompetitive unlike custom moves. Unlike custom moves, there are truly broken stuff in custom equipment. Such as making you completely invincible, carrying items, making your rolls EVEN SAFER, and a wide array of other reasons.

The biggest reason of all is how they edit stats. Offense/Defense/Speed. Because of this, there is virtually an infinite amount of "characters" you can make using this system. And because there is little to no way to predict anything, it is the bane of competitiveness by virtue alone. If you cannot predict anything due to an infinite amount of variables, then there is absolutely no way it could ever become competitive.

If custom equipment didn't change stats whatsoever, some of them COULD be considered. Such as the one that reduces landing lag. But even then, it would be best as a side event or for casual play only. Because further dividing the community beyond customs on/off would be a very unwise thing to do.

Because Bandai Namco is working with Nintendo with this game, I have faith that their patches would be good. The last patch that the game had did some very sensible changes, such as increasing the Luma's respawn timer, removing "Wectoring"/vertical vectoring, buffing Ike/Shulk/Meta Knight, and other changes. So I expect future patches to be just as sensible...such as the expected Diddy nerf (who honestly needs it).

The more the merrier, I say. Especially if they do things to balance custom moves (such as Charizard's custom side B), removing dangerous glitches, and (of course) improving the overall balance of the game.

I prefer 1v1 matches personally. 2v2 matches, especially in a customs environment, can be extremely chaotic. Definitely fun for casual matches, but doesn't really hold my interest when it comes to a competitive environment.

I've played every Smash game for as long as the timeframe between each game was released. I played Smash 64 all the way up until Melee, Melee all the way up until Brawl, Brawl all the way up until Brawl was modified into Brawl+/Balanced Brawl/Brawl Minus, then I moved on to Project M which I had the most fun with out of all of the mods, and finally I went to Smash 4. And I will probably continue to play Smash 4 up until the next potential Smash game. For many, many, many years.

But unlike previous games in the series, I can see myself playing Smash 4 and Project M for even longer. That is how much I love these two games in particular.

Sure. I don't see why not.

Besides this is sort of a silly statement anyways, since things WILL change in the future. Even if no more balance patches are released after this one, there is still the Smash Ballot and the new characters that will come along in the future. :p

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I enjoy it because it's new and a Smash Bros. game, but I find it lacking in depth compared to its predecessors. I feel as though they have attempted to replace depth with breadth, by adding tons of peripheral features, custom moves, equipment, etc., at the expense of more sophisticated gameplay. This seems like false economy to me, since it will take longer to get into and burn out quicker.

If Nintendo is more trouble than they are help, then it may behoove the Smash community to go independent again. I just hope what they are offering the competitive scene is worth the sacrifices we are making to involve them.

There are no locals where I'm from.

I support them as long as they don't break the game entirely. There is no evidence to suggest that they have so far.

It adds crucially lacking variety.

It's silly and impractical.

Not only do I support it, I think it will be necessary to the game's longevity. The cast is too big and the custom moves too many to wish for the best.

FOW & MJG team had some of the most hype doubles matches in Smash history imo.

Maybe. I'm kind of hoping for some change, though.

If nothing changes in 5 years, I'll be playing whatever mod makes the improvements the game needs over the game itself.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754

1. I'm fine with it.
2. Way too conservative. I'd like a bigger list imo
3. I have no idea what it is.
4. They're fine. The UI is complete crap tho
5. It' stupid, obnoxious, insane, and chaotic. How could it be any better?
6. It's too random to be practically used, but the preset/challenge equipment could be a possible side event.
7. I'd love more patches. It shows the devs they care, and it helps.
8. YESYESYESYESYESYES
9. Yes. I'll still keep playing.
10. I don't know. By then I'll be in college, but if I had the time I might play. If a mod is made that fixes the few problems the game has, I'd probably download it.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
It's pretty great. I've had lots of fun playing it and becoming more competitive with it.

I'm glad that counterpicks aren't a part of the stage selection, but I wish that there were more stages available (though I understand why some of the stages were left out).

It's pretty liberal, which I like.

It'd be a great idea! This will give Smash 4 a more unique metagame.

It's usually more interesting.

It's too random to be used in competitive play. But for fun, it's great.

I'm not really sure where I stand on this. I kinda want them to stop because we can't fully develop our budding meta if the game keeps changing. But at the same time, it has some usefulness to it too.

For the most part, yeah. But I want us to have 3v3 and dare I say it 4v4 matches too.

Most likely yes. The only reason I'm not completely certain is because I'm going to college next year!

^ Same answer as above

Last edited:
Top Bottom