• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GC Controller HELP!

HotChocolate

Smash Rookie
I needed some help with the official Smash Ultimate GC Controller. Im planning on buying it, but I was really confused on whether buying it would still require me to sepratlyl by an adapter, as with new technology they should be able to make it wireless. I see a wire, but I'm still confused, so does the Smash Ultimate Gamecube Controller still require me to buy an adapter?

*P.S., I have never had a Gamecube Controller for my Wii U or Switch, so im a big noob on it.*

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
Yes, you need the USB Adapter. They *could* make it wireless, but wireless increases lag and can interfere with other wireless controllers if too many are close to each other, as such people prefer wired ones.

HotChocolate

Smash Rookie
Oh, thanks! Which is the best adapater I should get? I want minimal lag but I also want a cheap one due to being on a budget...

D

Deleted member

Just use the wii u adapter you already have or just get the new adapter for the Switch. Both will work just fine.

The Officail release for the Switch is 20$ at best buy.

HotChocolate

Smash Rookie
Just use the wii u adapter you already have or just get the new adapter for the Switch. Both will work just fine.

The Officail release for the Switch is 20$ at best buy.
Does a Wii U Adapter work? If so, is it cheaper or around the same price...

Last edited:

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
You can already use the WiiU Gamecube Adapter and GC Gamepads to play other games such as Mario Kart - so yes, the WiiU Adapter is already 100% compatible.
The Gamecube Controllers can be used for every game as long as it does not require special features (such as all 4 shoulder Buttons or motion controll), I use them all the time for multiplayer since I only have one Pro Controller.

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Apparently the ethernet adapter plugged into the USB 3.0 slot in the Switch dock can cause overheating issues when the system is docked. It is recommended to plug the adapter into the side ports until Nintendo fixes this. Be warned, it is possible to fit both USBs into the last two slots with the controller adapter, it will look awkward as hell though.

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
Do you have a source for that? I have been using my USB Lan adapter on the USB 3.0 Port ever since I had my Switch (so over a year already) and never had any issues...

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Do you have a source for that? I have been using my USB Lan adapter on the USB 3.0 Port ever since I had my Switch (so over a year already) and never had any issues...
The source is this Reddit article from 4 months ago. I don't know if they fixed it since then, but it was a real concern. https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/8w6bcn/

The heating was caused by the usb constantly checking the system for updates when docked, warming the dock so it was better to turn off auto software updates to stop this.

Last edited:

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
Thanks for letting me know - after reading that reddit thread and checking my Switch I can comfirm that mine was cold (and I do have auto Updates enabled).
Not sure why some people have that issue - but I don't have it (FW 6.2)

Top Bottom