• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Ok, I am annoyed now. This has spiraled in a whole nother direction, and it is not even about the game anymore. You throw "the smash community blah blah blah" in there occasionally, but really? Not even close to being about Brawl. This has started to include real life examples not suited for this section.

Times have changed, words have changed, slang has happened, and whether you like it or not people are not going to stop using the word. People are granted the right to say what they want, it is called freedom of speech. It all depends on if you yourself treats their words as being offensive or not.

Obviously, you know the speakers of the word gay do not have homosexuals or homosexuality in mind when they say it. You even put the exact definition of why they say it in your original post:

Lenus Altair said:
"Gay" is a term commonly used in Super Smash Brothers and other gaming communities. It is used to describe tactics or attacks the Players feel are powerful if not overpowered or things that require little skill but are effective. "Stupid", "Broken", or "Cheap" would be common synonyms.
They are not calling homosexuality stupid or broken when talking about Brawl. When people are expressing their disgust about something in a game, they are talking about that game. You have to read their words, and understand the context in which they are coming from.

Seeing as this thread has done nothing but cause potential disliking of one another's opinions, and caused much unneeded flaming / trolling, I am going to place it on lock.

Lenus Altair, I am not attacking you, nor am I am not attacking anyone in the homosexual community. I am simply saying you need to stand strong, and ignore words that offend you. Letting words you define as hurtful affect you will do nothing but cause you grief in the long-run. If you don't like what someone is saying, nicely ask if they can use another word, if they do not abide by your plea, don't pursue further conversation with them. There are plenty of other cool people in the world to talk to, trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom