• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Garden of Hope: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
For my next entry, I'm covering the Garden of Hope and using a surprising amount of words to talk about otherwise fairly tame stage elements. And the Peckish Aristocrab.

Shoutouts to whichever admin (I suspect @Shaya) saw fit to move my older research threads to the Smash Academy subforum. It feels good knowing that someone finds this all worth archiving.

Previously Covered
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
The Garden of Hope has two main platforms with walled sides. The platform on the right is a bit higher than the one on the left. A gap between the two is covered by a bridge. On one platform is an upturned flower pot, on the other is initially nothing. (See the Destructible Terrain section for an explanation.) The ledges are grabbable.

Offstage are a pair of platforms linked by a weight feedback system; standing on one makes it fall while the other rises in response. This can carry the platforms offscreen and kill anyone standing on them at the time. These platforms are solid and cannot be jumped through from below, and also feature grabbable ledges.

Players 1 and 2 start on the outer edges of the two main platforms while Players 3 and 4 start on the inner edges. The Omega form has walled sides.

The stage is partially destructible and has one damaging hazard: the Peckish Aristocrab.

Destructible Terrain

The Garden of Hope. Note the flower pot, bridge, and stick.

In this image we can see the overall layout of the stage, but the objects of interest are, from left to right, the flower pot, the bridge, and the stick in the ground, all of which are destructible. After an object is destroyed, a group of Pikmin will arrive shortly afterward to repair it. This normally happens within a few seconds, but occasionally a Bulborb will walk up in the background. While it does not interfere with the battle, its presence means Pikmin will not appear. Pikmin will repair a single object at a time and repair them in the order they were destroyed.

Each destructible object has a few unique properties.
Object|HP|Notes
Flower Pot|20 HP|Can be located on either main platform. Repairs take place in 3 stags: base, walls, top. Standing inside the walls as they are rebuilt deals 5% damage. Standing inside the flower pot once repairs finish traps the player inside. They can still move and attack the pot from within to free themselves. Sufficiently large hitboxes can strike through the walls. To prevent clipping, players inside the pot are shrunk. This is normally reverted upon destruction, but it's possible to bring a player outside the pot without breaking it, usually via a Final Smash such as Ike's, resulting in a still-shrunk player walking around the stage. Some characters can trigger this without their final smash, such as Palutena's back throw , although it appears to be character-specific. Destroying the pot will return the player to normal, as will respawning.
Bridge|64 HP|Bridge is completely solid, even from below. Players caught beneath once it's repaired are trapped and will fall to their death. Players overlapping the bridge at the moment of repair can become stuck in a weird floating state, as seen here . When destroyed, the inner ledges of the main platform can be grabbed.
Stick|20 HP|Located on opposite main platform from flower pot. Not present at start of match. Unlike flower pot and bridge, "repairs" consist of Pikmin pulling a new stick from the ground. Exact location is not fixed, Pikmin can pull it from anywhere on its respective platform, excepting about a character's width from either edge. Since it's always initially destroyed at the start of a match, it's an immediate target for Pikmin repairs.
Because the destructible terrain has its own hurtboxes, it causes some projectiles to act oddly. Mario's Fireball, for instance, will never bounce on the flower pot or bridge but will instead do damage and vanish. However, if it hits the side of the flower pot or stick it will simply vanish without doing damage. And if it lands on top of the stick it will bounce normally. R.O.B.'s Robo Beam also acts inconsistently depending on where it strikes and the angle of impact. Other projectiles, like Samus's Charge Shot, act completely normally.

Peckish Aristocrab

The Peckish Aristocrab moving right to left. Note the intact stick on the right platform.

A spray of bubbles indicating the Peckish Aristocrab's imminent appearance from the right side.

The Peckish Aristocrab is the stage's only damaging hazard. A spray of bubbles emanates from the side of the screen 3 seconds before it appears, while the camera zooms out to ensure the bubbles are seen. The Peckish Aristocrab then emerges in the background, walks into the playing area, and crosses the stage before falling off the edge. It does 20% damage on contact with its body, and 16% damage on contact with its claw. Players generally need to be airborne in order to be hit by the claw, although large characters such as Bowser may need to be cautious. It's possible for an unlucky player to be hit by both body and claw for a total of 36% damage.

The Peckish Aristocrab kills Mario off the top at 76% on the lower left platform and 70% on the upper right platform. Its attack is unblockable, although dodge rolls work normally. That said, it is just big enough and slow enough that properly timing a dodge roll to avoid its body completely is difficult if not outright impossible for some characters, depending on how far they roll and the exact frame data. Jumping and airdodging through it works better, and ledge invincibility and getup rolls are also options.

As the Peckish Aristocrab walks across the stage, it destroys the flower pot and stick on contact. However, there is a small zone near the edges where it can miss the stick. (This protection does not necessarily extend to the players, testing was inconsistent.) Once it walks off the edge of the stage, it lands on the side platform and triggers the weight mechanism, sending both platforms offscreen.

If the bridge is destroyed, the Peckish Aristocrab will fall into the gap without making it to the other side.

Summary
  • Side platforms linked via weight system.
  • Flower pot, bridge, stick all destructible. (20, 64, 20 HP respectively.)
  • Flower pot can be located on either main platform, stick located on opposite side.
  • Pikmin repair broken terrain promptly, unless Bulborb is present.
  • One terrain feature repaired at a time, in order destroyed.
  • Players inside flower pot when repaired are trapped, can break out.
  • Glitch leaves players shrunk if somehow brought outside pot without breaking, fixed by breaking or respawning.
  • Bridge is completely solid, traps players below once repaired.
  • Stick starts destroyed, can be remade anywhere on its platform.
  • Peckish Aristocrab signalled 3 seconds in advance by bubbles, camera zooms out to ensure they are seen.
  • Peckish Aristocrab does 20% (body) or 16% (claw), unblockable, possible to be hit by both.
  • Peckish Aristocrab kills Mario at 76% (left platform) or 70% (right platform).
  • Peckish Aristocrab destroys flower pot and stick on contact.
  • Peckish Aristocrab falls on and triggers weight mechanism of side platforms, or center gap if bridge is out.

Last edited:

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
Do you happen to know about how long it takes for Pikmin to come to repair something, and about how long it takes for them to repair? I'm particularly interested in times for the bridge, as I recall someone getting stuck under a very recently destroyed bridge. It could be really dangerous if Pikmin repair the bridge with little warning.

I appreciate all the stage research threads you make, by the way. Always a pleasure reading them.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Do you happen to know about how long it takes for Pikmin to come to repair something, and about how long it takes for them to repair? I'm particularly interested in times for the bridge, as I recall someone getting stuck under a very recently destroyed bridge. It could be really dangerous if Pikmin repair the bridge with little warning.

I appreciate all the stage research threads you make, by the way. Always a pleasure reading them.
This should all be covered already but whatever.

The Pikmin repair stuff pretty promptly, unless the Bulborb is in the background in which case they'll wait until it's gone. If it's not there to begin with they can show up almost instantly. They only repair one thing at a time and do so in the order they were broken, but once they get started it's pretty quick.

Since you asked about the bridge in particular, the repair animation consists of a crowd of Pikmin carrying the necessary shards walking up to the edge, pausing a moment, and throwing them at the gap all at once. Somehow this forms a stable bridge every time because apparently Pikmin are secretly all genius engineers or something. But yes, the bridge is completely solid once formed, so players below are doomed.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Can you spotdodge, airdodge, shield or roll through the crab? I feel that is an important detail to list, whether you can or can't.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Can you spotdodge, airdodge, shield or roll through the crab? I feel that is an important detail to list, whether you can or can't.
I forgot to check, give me 15 minutes and I can find out.

EDIT: Updated the OP, I'll quote my findings here.

Its attack is unblockable, although dodge rolls work normally. That said, it is just big enough and slow enough that properly timing a dodge roll to avoid its body completely is difficult if not outright impossible for some characters, depending on how far they roll and the exact frame data. Jumping and airdodging through it works better, and ledge invincibility and getup rolls are also options.
I haven't tested super armor, mostly because I'm not sure who has it on what, but intuition tells me it will also work at the obvious cost of damage. Counterattack moves should also work since they work on damn near everything, as long as the counterattack is sufficiently invincible. (Shulk and Little Mac are probably the most likely, plus dashing counter type customs in general.)

Also, hey. 15 minutes exactly by the post vs. edit times. Go figure. (And ruined by a followup thought I had, oh well.)

Last edited:

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
This should all be covered already but whatever.

The Pikmin repair stuff pretty promptly, unless the Bulborb is in the background in which case they'll wait until it's gone. If it's not there to begin with they can show up almost instantly. They only repair one thing at a time and do so in the order they were broken, but once they get started it's pretty quick.

Since you asked about the bridge in particular, the repair animation consists of a crowd of Pikmin carrying the necessary shards walking up to the edge, pausing a moment, and throwing them at the gap all at once. Somehow this forms a stable bridge every time because apparently Pikmin are secretly all genius engineers or something. But yes, the bridge is completely solid once formed, so players below are doomed.
I was looking for more precise times to be honest, but if it happens nearly instantly that should suffice. Under the bridge is a pretty dangerous place to be if the Bulborb isn't out then.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
RE: the bridge building. The Pikmin bring all the pieces at one time (not multiple trips like the pot). You DO have some warning when you see them coming, but it's quick once they start laying the pieces. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcgnfbbJmJQ#t=136 (happens again at ~4:00)

Actually that match is a good video example of the hazards and such. (I recommend muting it because of their commentary, which tends to be lewd and potentially annoying.)

I don't find the crab too disruptive (worst case you jump over him... and he's telegraphed pretty blatantly), but I was worried about the weighted platforms killing people (happens a lot when they get stuck in a getup animation), and now the bridge traps and possible pot glitches (any idea what moves cause a shrunken player to come out of the pot?)... Yeah I'm afraid this stage might be doomed... sadly. I love it.

As a note, Bowser gets absolutely brutalized by the stage in that video... I chalk that up to the player having never played on it before. For instance, he jumps to the platform after the crab goes by... the crab falls on the other platform, which kills Bowser off the top because of the weight mechanic.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I don't find the crab too disruptive (worst case you jump over him... and he's telegraphed pretty blatantly), but I was worried about the weighted platforms killing people (happens a lot when they get stuck in a getup animation), and now the bridge traps and possible pot glitches (any idea what moves cause a shrunken player to come out of the pot?)... Yeah I'm afraid this stage might be doomed... sadly. I love it.
As far as I know the only moves that can bring players out of the pot are Final Smashes like Ike's. I don't think any standard move can both reach inside the pot and pull the player out as part of the animation.

Villager's tree, if planted and grown while inside, will remain small afterward, but that's it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Small update, I found a video of Palutena using her back throw while standing on top of the flower pot to trigger the shrunk player glitch. Same rules apply about how to undo it, to the best of my knowledge. (Will verify later today.)

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Small update, I found a video of Palutena using her back throw while standing on top of the flower pot to trigger the shrunk player glitch. Same rules apply about how to undo it, to the best of my knowledge. (Will verify later today.)
wow...

I mean that's a fairly specific example, but knowing these types of glitches exist and provide a fairly significant advantage... along with the other issues on the stage, I think this one is bannable for now (and probably won't be unbanned if this glitch is ever fixed because of aforementioned other issues)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
wow...

I mean that's a fairly specific example, but knowing these types of glitches exist and provide a fairly significant advantage... along with the other issues on the stage, I think this one is bannable for now (and probably won't be unbanned if this glitch is ever fixed because of aforementioned other issues)
After some testing, I think it may be character specific. It didn't work on Mario or Bowser, but it did work on Robin. I didn't test anyone else though.

And it's still fixable by simply breaking the pot. (Which really is quite easy, it's a fragile thing.)

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
You should note that when the pot is broken with an attack that also hits the player inside, that attack will do extra knockback to the player because of the decreased size, causing early KOs. Because of this, the player inside the pot should avoid engaging the player outside the pot.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
You should note that when the pot is broken with an attack that also hits the player inside, that attack will do extra knockback to the player because of the decreased size, causing early KOs. Because of this, the player inside the pot should avoid engaging the player outside the pot.
I didn't actually know the small size caused more knockback. Interesting.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
I didn't actually know the small size caused more knockback. Interesting.
Needs confirmation, I suppose. However, I killed someone inside the pot insanely early with Danger Wrap. I guess I should actually confirm it before spreading possible misinformation.

Top Bottom