• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf's spotdodge

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's bad. Probably the 2nd worst spotdodge in the game right before Bowser's.

That being said, I can't find any real uses for it except spotdodging Flame Choke in Ganon dittos. It's too laggy and shielding attacks or rolling away is superior in every other situation.

Prove me wrong.

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
It's bad. Probably the 2nd worst spotdodge in the game right before Bowser's.

That being said, I can't find any real uses for it except spotdodging Flame Choke in Ganon dittos. It's too laggy and shielding attacks or rolling away is superior in every other situation.

Prove me wrong.
If falcon tries to over-b you near a ledge (for whatever reason) you can spotdodge it for an easy stock :/
With perfect timing couldn't you dodge attacks that normally hit you out of spotdodge?

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
I don't care if it's the 2nd worst or whatever. It makes me not get hit and then hit them. A little trick I like to do is something along the lines of spot dodge then attack. Or spot dodge then roll somewhere. The possibilities are endless!

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
What, Ganon's dodge isn't laggy.

If anything the problem is it's too fast. You can't dodge around anything before the invincibility ends and you still end up hit.

We have demonic step.... that's pretty cool. >_>

Have you been playing D3 or Robot or something?

There might be something to say for rolling anyway, though. Ganon's roll is really fast... so... it may just be better for him than most to try to roll position as a rule.

Kiyuzoh

Smash Cadet
I remember Hyperstation saying something about writing up a few tricks he found with Ganon's spot dodge. Not very good with the details, but I'm not hoping for anything besides some variations on the Demonic Step.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
A well timed Ganon-spot dodge can avoid both hits of Snake's Ftilt.. It's pretty cool.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
I've never thought his spot-dadge was bad. I've avoided Sheik's, Fox's, Marth's, and Diddy's with it (varying moves though lol)

P.S. 500th post! I saved it for the Ganny Boards :chuckle:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
See, the problem I always have with Ganon's spotdodge is even if you do spotdodge something, Ganon's attacks are all slightly too slow to the point where if you try to punish your opponent, they just shield first and then you get grabbed.

This is why Ganon's spotdodge is so **** horrible. It lasts too long, and his options from it are all way too slow for spotdodge tactics to be viable, so spotdodging almost always puts you in a disadvantaged position since Ganondorf doesn't actually want to be extremely close to his opponent.

The only situation where I can see spotdodging being safer than rolling away or shielding is dodging the likes of Flame Choke...and someone mentioned Raptor Boost which makes sense.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
I remember Hyperstation saying something about writing up a few tricks he found with Ganon's spot dodge. Not very good with the details, but I'm not hoping for anything besides some variations on the Demonic Step.
There was one usuage that was proven is that spotdodging before doing a normal tilt attack causes Ganon to shift forward a step. Sort of similar to the stutter step FSmash effect.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
See, the problem I always have with Ganon's spotdodge is even if you do spotdodge something, Ganon's attacks are all slightly too slow to the point where if you try to punish your opponent, they just shield first and then you get grabbed.

This is why Ganon's spotdodge is so **** horrible. It lasts too long, and his options from it are all way too slow for spotdodge tactics to be viable, so spotdodging almost always puts you in a disadvantaged position since Ganondorf doesn't actually want to be extremely close to his opponent.

The only situation where I can see spotdodging being safer than rolling away or shielding is dodging the likes of Flame Choke...and someone mentioned Raptor Boost which makes sense.
That's what I think. I usually spot-dodge to see how my opponent does. I think Ganon's quickest spot-dodge move is maybe jab?? not entirely sure though. Still it's always risky with the Big Guy

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Spot dodge -> sliding Ftilt, Dtilt, Fsmash or Jab via IASA frames. Hold forward while IN the spot dodge animation, then buffer your attack during the IASA frames. It's easy once you know the timing.

SD -> half a demonic step -> turn around iDA (mindgames, son. this is a killer. seriously.)

BDC -> SD -> BDC -> SD approach through projectile spam.

You can also buffer and reverse buffer anything out of SD using it's IASA frames.

I use SD, Powershielding, and Crouching to approach through projectile spammers like Samus, also. SD works exceptionally well against ZAirs, then you can follow up with a turn around iDA.

These aren't hypothetical uses. these are ways in which I use SD to advance my game. Everyone should be doing the same. The only time SD sucks is when you're using it WRONG, because there are definitely correct and INcorrect times to use the SD.

Point is, all y'all haters suck.

Sorry, I know I said I'd do a vid on this a long time ago, but I haven't had as much time for smash as of late, let alone video editing. Maybe someday when I have a free weekend or something.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
What's a Demonic Step?
Spot dodge. While spot dodging, hold BACK on the control stick. after the spot dodge finishes, push the control stick forward. Ganon will turn around, moonwalk a short distance, and turn forward again. This technique is essentially useless, but I've found some uses for just the first half of the demonic step.

The thing I mentioned above is like this: hold BACK on the control stick while spot dodging, then buffer a forward iDA during the IASA frames of the spot dodge. Ganon turns around, slides a little bit forward and turns back around into an iDA whose range is increased due to the slight slide.

Get yr mindgames straight, son.

Top Bottom