• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf tumbles down the charts

Zeldasalsa

Smash Cadet
Ganondorf was the strongest character in melee. Apparently in brawl, he gets weaker and slower, plus his moves take longer time. In SSBM, he was faster and stronger, even though he was considered slow and not worth playing. Hopefully Ganondorf will be better in the next SSB game, if there even will be one.

Gensuke

Smash Rookie
he is not as bad as people are making him out to be. he's a challenge to play but when you start to get the hang of his mind games and tech reading his >b it's well worth it

Catmunnies

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I agree. Also, Ganon is stronger than he was in melee. If he seems weaker to you, it's only because characters don't die as fast in this game.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Ganondorf was the strongest character in melee. Apparently in brawl, he gets weaker and slower, plus his moves take longer time. In SSBM, he was faster and stronger, even though he was considered slow and not worth playing. Hopefully Ganondorf will be better in the next SSB game, if there even will be one.
And hopefully with his SWORD.

I doubt it now, though.

Wait, Ganondorf WEAKER?!? Boy, what are YOU on? To me, he's been boosted with power-up drugs!

Sure, he's the 2nd slowest character in the game, but...

Aah, screw it, he sucks...

chaos971

Smash Rookie
I love how people continue to say he is weaker in this game. You know Ike? The character people drool over in regards to power. Ganondorf does more damage per attack than him, unless I managed to royally screw up my calculations. Ganondorf can murder people with his tilts at relatively low percentages. He is absurdly powerful.

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
And hopefully with his SWORD.

I doubt it now, though.

Wait, Ganondorf WEAKER?!? Boy, what are YOU on? To me, he's been boosted with power-up drugs!

Sure, he's the 2nd slowest character in the game, but...

Aah, screw it, he sucks...
Ganondorf himself said he doesn't like using swords, it would be an insult to his character if he used it

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
FTilt can kill comfortably around 100, jab CAN kill around 100, FAir can kill around 70 from the ground, as an intercept I could imagine it could kill at 60. The problem IS his power, not how little of it though, there's so much knock back on every move that it's difficult to string A attacks together well. Now Bowser officially has a disjointed hitbox, I think Ganondorf has the longest range of any character without one.

Ganondorf himself said he doesn't like using swords, it would be an insult to his character if he used it
I find that hard to believe, he's used swords a lot. OoT, WW, TP and has used a staff or a halberd in other encounters.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. His fair deals 13% for a hugely long windup + laggy attack that doesn't reach huge knockback until much later percents. His bair doesn't have a real problem other than what I see as too much vertical knockback compared to the melee bair. Uair and Dair are fine. I guess my only real gripe is that Fair is not powerful enough for how laggy and punishable it is. Its best use seems to come from below though, where you fair another person just above you for the kill. This also means that his aerial approach is limited because jumping and fairing towards a character = block + smash in your face.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
I'M GONNA GO RIGHT A FANFIC ABOUT GANONDORFS LIFE AFTER BEING NERFED TEAM ROCKET IS THE BAD GUYS AND BABY BOWSER IS GANONDORF'S SIDEKICK.

a

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You have it all wrong here.

Firstoff Ganondorf was actually high tier material in Melee if I recall. The main reason he didn't place very high is because most of his matchups in tournaments were against the top tiers, so he lost more tournaments than he should have.

Ganondorf is worse yes, but he's slower and STRONGER in Brawl. His aerial game sucks, which is why he's worse, but he's okay because his ground game actually is better. He at least is better than Captain Falcon.

Fautor Animus

Smash Cadet
His air game has diminished strongly from SSBM, but it does not suck. His moves have decent priority, and most of his moves have high priority. Also, his up-smash, is quite good, and his f-tilt can kill at around 82% (this was a pit), Ganon requires a lot of mind-games, but that's what makes him so fun.

Also, what is this about him being weaker? I bring people to the 100 area in about 5 hits, and this isn't where they sit around, and i smack them. No, it was mindgames to coughcoughtrickyaerialscoughcough to death combo. haha, plus, OLD MANONDORF PWNS all!

Jawsh!

Smash Cadet
Personally, I think half of winning with Ganon is picking him. The room then disregards you as a threat until they realize you've killed them all with one kick/punch.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Personally, I think half of winning with Ganon is picking him. The room then disregards you as a threat until they realize you've killed them all with one kick/punch.
Haha, Ganon's a mindgame.

Also, I don't think the dair did 28% in Melee...did it?

EDIT: According to Tipman's guide, it did 16-20. It's stronger in Brawl. :p

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Lol weaker in Europe...
And BTW, I am pretty sure Reagan said Soviet Union, not Russia;)

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
"I find that hard to believe, he's used swords a lot. OoT, WW, TP and has used a staff or a halberd in other encounters."

actually talks about how much he hates that sword he pulls out in his taunt in twilight princess he uses it as sort of an irony in that he'll bring darkness to the world with a sword made for light and good, wierd.

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
On the edge of Final Destination waiting to kill y
well honestly ganondorf does suck in brawl. It is that fact that you realize he sucks and work around his weakness and off of his strengths. Don't go into a match assuming he's better and get pwned and wondered what happened when the ROB spiked you with dair at 16%.

Renth

Smash Hero
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

edit:

Ganon does not suck in melee or brawl, feel free to take my friend code and i'll show you myself. As far as melee goes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0DIE-HlghY

Josiah

Smash Cadet
Quoted for truth. At least, that was the case in Melee in a not-SB-related tourney I went to using him a year or so ago. "HOW CAN YOU BE SO GOOD/FAST WITH GANONDORF" was a common thing I heard. Unfortunately, the style of the tourney was a 4-player FFA, not 1v1, so by the end of it I pretty much got singled out. :( Not much you can do about that with anybody.

Anyway, I'd like to think the same will be true with him in Brawl, with practice. HOLY S***, OPTIMISM ABOUT GANON IN BRAWL!? IMPOSSIBLE!!!11!!11 :p

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
it is the same in brawl. people in local tournies have made fun of my char. selection until they get spartan kicked of the stage. They never see it coming. however regardless of what is said here g'dorf will most likley turn into what bowser was for melee.

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
killz

When did he say that?

Ganondorf, in one form or another, has nearly, if not ALWAYS, used weapons in his boss fights.
he says it in twilight AND ocarina
he likes killing ppl with just his fists, hes cool like that

hey, id kill my friend with a gun, not because thats the way i want to, just its easier

link has the master sword, thus ganon HAS to use a sword or he'll die, doesnt mean he WANTS to use it, he just HAS to

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
na

it is the same in brawl. people in local tournies have made fun of my char. selection until they get spartan kicked of the stage. They never see it coming. however regardless of what is said here g'dorf will most likley turn into what bowser was for melee.
i doubt it, no character is bad in brawl
ganon, considered the worst, isnt even half as bad as your saying
its like everyone is mid tier, but there's still high and low parts of mid tiers
ive been playing with ganon for a week, his mind games are awesome
he can kill at the lowest %s possible
come on he can kill at 80% with a TILT, 70% with a smash and 20% with his uber backhand of darkness
his side b is way too good as well
and he's not exactly slow in the air either

whisperingtears

Smash Apprentice
The thing about playing gannondorf in melee was his movement was on the slow side, but his attack could come out fast and lead into eah other. Gannon now is way slower. and his moves arn't as fast. some moves that slowed down were
Upsmash
forward tilt
down smash
uair

its a big enough diffrence to completly change his style, and gannon wasn' tthat popualr in the first place so it will take ahile for dedicated players to master him. Unlike marth, there are too many marths

showmeyagoose

Smash Cadet

your mother tumbles down my charts

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
i doubt it, no character is bad in brawl
ganon, considered the worst, isnt even half as bad as your saying
its like everyone is mid tier, but there's still high and low parts of mid tiers
ive been playing with ganon for a week, his mind games are awesome
he can kill at the lowest %s possible
come on he can kill at 80% with a TILT, 70% with a smash and 20% with his uber backhand of darkness
his side b is way too good as well
and he's not exactly slow in the air either
i keep getting people who say brawl is more balanced. (in fact i'm pretty sure there was a thread oveer this). in brawl the gap between low or bottom tier where ganon is and high or top tier characters is a huge gap. It a constant up hill battle and you can't leave yourself open for a second. And im not talking about some crappy com. which you must be fighting since you mentioned his b move. GANON sucks but that doesn't mean you shouldn't pick him or use him, just don't assume he is good and to tourney and get whooped and say man what the hell happened.

mrpeach32

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf is harder to use but his animations make him so much more badass. I don't think I could resist picking him just because he looks so fun.

Top Bottom