• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Matchup Review Site [Beta]

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
Fellow Ganons,

I'm pleased to announce the launch of a site to aid in our quest for justice and power. The purpose of the site is to centralize information we've gathered on Ganondorf's matchups, follow-ups, etc. here on the boards and elsewhere to provide users with a relatively quick summaries, such as when you know you'll face off against a particular character shortly but don't know the matchup very well. I'm currently hosting it on the free tier of Heroku, so it may have some occasional downtime as it operates only 18 hours in a 24 hour period. Here is the link: http://ganonmatchups.herokuapp.com/

FEATURES
  • Collaborative data. For every matchup, I've included details for each character based on several of the charts that we've compiled since the release of smash 4. All of the data displayed is contained in and populated from this Google Doc. I would love help filling it in and adding more data, so if you're interested in helping out, please send me a message and I can give you editing privileges.
  • Player tips and advice. I have implemented user accounts so people can leave quick tips and advice on matchups, and vote on other player's tips and advice based on their helpfulness. The purpose, however, isn't to replace the discussions on matchups here or in other locations, but rather to provide quick knowledge to players in a short time frame (e.g. "FH Nair is your best friend in this MU"). Many of our most useful gems about certain matchups are contained in random places on random threads, buried in long chat discussions, etc.; so this is a place you can keep what you learn for your benefit and the benefit of your Ganon brethren.
  • Site administration. I'm working on implementing administrative features for important community members who may be interested in such a role.
  • Expandable. I've developed the site in angular-meteor in such a way that I can expand the site and its features fairly quickly.
  • Mobile friendly. (Because who has access to a computer when they're at a tournament in their moment of need?) I've used the Twitter bootstrap for a lot of the page design in order to make it easily mobile-friendly. I have some things I'd like to make a little bit better for the mobile experience, but it should be functional as it stands.

The site stemmed from a project I was working on last year that I haven't really been able to revisit. I worked on re-purposing it a little over the past couple of days and I think it turned out pretty well. It should be pretty functional at this point, at least for our purposes, but it may still have some bugs here and there (this is my first web app).

I have more features and design things I'd like to address in the coming weeks, as well, so I'll post major updates here. The page is still quite raw, so don't judge me on the awful aesthetics! ;) If you find problems or bugs, please send me a PM and I'll address them when I can.

I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you participate! Let me know if you have any questions.

Gleed

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
I'd be willing to help. I have a previous (also ongoing) 6 year history doing social and slight server-side administrative work for http://play.pokemonshowdown.com.

In addition Im pretty good at digging up buried vods for Smash 4. Case in point, I tracked down these video's to make an analytical case as to why MK is one of Ganondorf's better matchups, but school got in the way. Neither of these show up if you google "smash 4 ganondorf mk", even if you tag the players names on at the end.

Selena vs Pon Umebura Genesis Cup

This was from a national the week before Genesis used to help the Japanese players coming to America adapt to the Genesis 3 ruleset (Lylat and Dreamland aren't legal in Japan, and every single match is bo3).

Apart from demonstrating why you should ALWAYS ban Dreamland against fast characters, this really symbolizes what I believe is MK's biggest weakness in the matchup. Most people say MK has a bad neutral and a great punish game, to which I disagree and cast a comparison to Captain Falcon. Metaknight has linear neutral, a few really good options that all lead to great payoff if you win the rock-paper-scissors match, except he has the best punish game in the entire game and a good recovery.

HOWEVER, as a consequence of this, MK ultimately has to still play the rock-paper-scissors game with Ganondorf, as opposed to most of the top tiers that can more or less safely throw out moves and try and wall him out. MK has to play the mental game with Ganondorf, and that means he has to take huge punishes if he loses.

That he gets destroyed if he doesn't tech Flame Choke is just icing on the cake.

Rickles vs Demitus GGA 53

This one elaborates more on just how easily MK crumples if you get in his face, as an unranked (albeit extremely good) Ganondorf 0-2's Chicago's #3 player (for reference, Demitus lost 2-1 to Dabuz last hit at Dismantle 2).

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
mgleed mgleed this is really some great stuff man, excellent work.

My one suggestion would be: if you could add a search function within each character that would just search tips by keywords, that would be awesome. We may stand to see a lot of tips on some of these matchups, and the rating system is great for popular tips and information, but I may need specific (still basic, though) information. I think in this way, this tool you've created can be extended to a sort-of pocket coach. Your opponent may get annoyed if you pick up your phone between games, but having the option to quickly find the exact info you need on a certain character (even just as a reminder) would help many of us tremendously. It may not be the difference between a placing that pays or not, but it will certainly help us learn matchups more quickly and grow our intelligence in playstyle.

If this is not a possible or practical functionality to add, I understand; this is just my two cents.

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
mgleed mgleed this is really some great stuff man, excellent work.

My one suggestion would be: if you could add a search function within each character that would just search tips by keywords, that would be awesome. We may stand to see a lot of tips on some of these matchups, and the rating system is great for popular tips and information, but I may need specific (still basic, though) information. I think in this way, this tool you've created can be extended to a sort-of pocket coach. Your opponent may get annoyed if you pick up your phone between games, but having the option to quickly find the exact info you need on a certain character (even just as a reminder) would help many of us tremendously. It may not be the difference between a placing that pays or not, but it will certainly help us learn matchups more quickly and grow our intelligence in playstyle.

If this is not a possible or practical functionality to add, I understand; this is just my two cents.
I'm sure it's possible to do. If it is the case that tons of tips are added, I'll look into it.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Already added a few tips myself, good work Gleed!

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
Thank you for your contributions and comments so far! The site is offline due to Heroku free tier limits for the next few hours, but it should be back up in the morning.

After a new 200 lines or so of controller code, I've connected the character pages to kuroganehammer.com so now the basic frame data for each character is included in the summary. After you check it out, do you think this is a useful thing to include, or would just a link be better? In any case, it was quite the project to explore how to do it this afternoon, and it was surprisingly fun to figure out. ;)

Any other suggestions for things you might like to see or perhaps other relevant data that would be useful to list for the characters?

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Thanks for your hardwork and dedication, Gleed, Blobface, Xinc and many others. This will be very useful for many of us, and us Ganons always seem to lead Smash 4 in pioneering in many ways.

@Vermanubis you should give this thread and the tournament results threads a sticky.

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
This is super cool, thanks.

By the way I might be wrong but on some characters with slow tech rolls(falcon, lil' mac) we get dash > flame choke if they tech the first one right? That's not in the tech away followups chart.

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
This is super cool, thanks.

By the way I might be wrong but on some characters with slow tech rolls(falcon, lil' mac) we get dash > flame choke if they tech the first one right? That's not in the tech away followups chart.
Yeah, I think so. I know there are a couple categories (this one in particular) that are incomplete and only show specific followups that were tested for the whole roster (so it doesn't necessarily mean that the move listed is the only possible option.) Again, I'd be happy to have some volunteer contributors to help round it out a little. ;)

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I could test everyone for chaining choke on tech away, but I'd have to wait till the weekend. I could also do sweet and sour dash attack as well though.

Coolkidd

Smash Cadet
NNID
Coolkidd95
3DS FC
0774-5050-1590
Switch FC
SW-1709-2409-3980
I'm just here to say something:
I think I speak for every Dark Lord around when I say that you've been an amazing person, Gleed. Not only do you have incredible skill, but you do so many incredible things like this for the community. Thank you so much.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
This is fantastic, appreciate all the effort you put in gleed.

Diddy tips though

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
I don't mean to revive an old thread, but maybe this should be stickied?

Top Bottom