• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon vs. Sonic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSnyd

Smash Rookie
Let me not lie.. sonic is a pain. One time I fought sonic on the bridge of eldin.. 1 on 1 and he kept running. Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with sonic? If so please let me know I'd really appreciate it.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Aside from never to play on Bridge of Eldin.

Seriously I have this match against Sonic where the smaller the stage the better.

Flame Choke just makes Ganon have a chance against fast characters like this.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
if u try to shield n grab a good sonic u';re gonna miss, most of his best approaches, go through u too fast for u to react even through a PF. Best thing to do is try to grab him with side b, but time it correctly cuz if u miss he can punish u pretty badly. Remember most of sonics lead up to air juggles and he can push u off the stage pretty quickly where u are pretty screwed since his element is off stage gimping recovery. He can do it infinitely with homing attack if he has mastered the placement and timing of the attack. If ganon has a camping game i suggest using it either with his neutral a; side b to down tilt and into an aerial. But sonic is u're absolute extreme. Where as u are extremely slow, heavy, extremely powerful, Sonic is the fastest, light, and his moves are low priority. (except for his side b initial hop that negates every projectile and most attacks) Ive never actually gone up against a good ganon.... but im trying to tell uze dudes wut NOT to do against Sonic. Remember most of u're attacks will have higher priority than his. If he tries to go toe to toe with u use u're fastest attacks which are downtilt, neutral a, ftilt. Never try to smash him unless its from an edge or hes coming down from above. (even then its still risky)

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Two words for you all, Thunder-storming. It is okay to spam it against sonic because even if sonic can juggle well, he cannot start juggles well while you are sh d-airing. Don't forget side>B, it's hell. If anyone is interested in using down-B cancel, then use it against sonic since he mostly ends up in front of you.

Anyways, thanks Soloman for commenting two times on my videos in my thread. If you have online wi-fi, then I would like to verse against you because I haven't versed against a pro sonic even though I went against skilled sonic players.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
Yeh i put that in a match ups thread on sonic boards (reference:http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4321615&postcount=37). Ive had dair done to me before from a missed dash attack. I had him on his last stock and i had all 3 left at 120%, instakilled me :D. I kinda try not to dash attack a ganon after seeing that. But some ppl dont know the timing, some do.

This was against a friend that lives here around me, he was in the GA tourny scene a while back and used ganon. But yeh lemme update my profile n stuffz and add my FC. Right now i dont have wifi, the adapter i lent to a friend, and the regular wifi built into the wii sux :(. It'll be like a few days till he gets back from his extended spring break. Good news is, i gotta tourny this saturday :D. Its my first in which i will be maining sonic, and will be reserving, snake, metaknight, zelda, and ganon for counterpicks.

I got a question however what are good match ups for ganon. I havent really used him against anyone good yet. Really just been using snake n sonic.

Tenki

Smash Hero
1 month bump.

In light of current metagames, how is the Ganondorf vs Sonic matchup from the Ganondorf side of things?

sandaman

Smash Cadet
just use ganon's tap A, lol as soon as he comes close just tap him away :p

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol Umby, when this thread had its first life, I was still planning on having Ganondorf as my main, then I decided to check out his matchup from the Sonic board and saw how flawed the original thread was :[

Jab doesn't work too well. And even if it did, what would you follow a jab with?

Flying Dutchman wanted to try against my Sonic a few weeks ago.

I was able to punish Ganondorf's missed/mistimed jabs starting from a distance 1/3 - 1/2 Final Destination away.

Thunderstorming doesn't roll too well against Sonic's SH-fairs. Shielding Sonic's u-smash or SH f-airs just leads into a shield poke > knockback/juggle/edgeguard (depends on your distance from stage). Sonic's D-air semi-spike defeats Ganondorf's aerial Flame Choke, so Ganonciding is almost not even an option. Also, where most characters have a window to airdodge (say, after a u-air or n-air at low %), Sonic can counter by using aerial spring, and the spring's knockback can set you up for a d-air, and an d-air (non sweetspot) can lead into an aerial juggle...

Techreading with Flame Choke is probably Ganondorf's best option against Sonic, but even that may become difficult if the Sonic player is familiar with Ganondorf tactics :{

After a peek into that, comments?

[edit]
If you must know, some things I noticed is that Ganondorf (or maybe players in general), when going into a defensive aura, start using the moves they plan to defend themselves with from far away. Like Marth F-airs. Or more pertinent, SH-dairs. After that first one, the second and third are almost definitely going to come out. I mean, it's understandable since it's one of his least laggiest but strongest moves...

well, don't waste moves even if you feel like you're out of Sonic's range. In reality, you probably aren't lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom