• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

MeleeFan25

Smash Cadet
looks like i wont be entering the tournement, reason number one, the trophy, if that is it, look horrible, and number two, the wii remote and nunchuck have to be the worst controls for a smash game

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
Though there is a random character slot in Brawl, so I am not certain how that works, especially in tournament mode, but I am certain it would pick something your first match and leave you with it the entire tournament.
That's what I was curious about...

lol @ shake smash

It's the new C-stick! :laugh:

f8lmatt

Smash Apprentice
looks like i wont be entering the tournement, reason number one, the trophy, if that is it, look horrible, and number two, the wii remote and nunchuck have to be the worst controls for a smash game
wheres the pic of the trophy?

edit: Just found it, what a odd trophy.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
That trophy is amazingly cool in the dorkiest way possible. I want it.

Oh, and I just realized Sheik is a starting character. **** yes! Time to pull a KDJ at this *****.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Here's a reminder of what controllers you can use for the tourney:

NES-style Wii Remote!

Classic Controller!

the Nunchuk!

YSM

Smash Apprentice
I think if I end up using the Classic Controller, I'll change the "Y" button to specials, the "B" button for Smashes, and make the "X" and "A" buttons jump. That seems closer to the Gamecube layout. Hopefully, though, they'll let me use my Cube controller. I know the rules say you can't, but let's face it...different Gamestops will definitely have different rules in round 1.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
IDK my gamestop said he may use GC controller cause it is there choice rules say "Controllers provided by gamestop"
No it says in the rules that they have to use the Wii Mote and Numchuk :( but if you gamestop is willing to bend the rules a little bit thats cool, but just know if you go on to the next rounds that they will make you use the wiiMote and chuk

rusashi

Smash Apprentice

what's the chances of the parents rule not being enforced

cause that's the gayest thing ever. I'm 17 and I can't get into a tournament by myself?! I have a license, a car, insurance, but they're gonna deny me my tournament?!

Sigh

Ichiban

Smash Rookie
The reason you need a parent signature is so that they can legally "release you" to be filmed and to have all the prizes.
Honestly I see no point in having a parent release waiver unless you make it to the round 4 when you get filmed and have a shot at the prize.
My guess is they are just trying to deter kids.

Rusashi I feel for you man I'm in the same position as you haha.

What I'm try to do is to get the forum and say my dad is waiting outside and have forge it outside.
But gamestop guy said, "we need to visibly see your parent/guardian sign it"
maybe it will be too busy *shrugs

Iraku

Smash Cadet
Weird. My mom asked a guy at Gamestop and he said that I didn't have to be with a parent. If he is wrong, I can't do it because my mom wants to see a basketball game VERY badly -_- I hope he wasn't misinformed.

null84

Smash Cadet
i have a question... do u guys think i should use Ice climbers just because I might be get use to Wii remote.
I find Ice Climbers not only have extra hands to get extra items, but also good cpu. in addition, they got chain grab.
P.S I use fox in super smash

rusashi

Smash Apprentice
I doubt they'll just turn us away if we show up.

I'm being optimistic that gamestop isn't run by douchebags

NDUDE

Smash Ace
My Gamestop:

- unlimited # of participants, but must have signed up today and today only (I'm #19, woo)
- you need to be 13 or older, and you don't need a parent to sign for you
- starts at 6:00pm March 8th
- controller is most likely Wiimote/Nunchuck (provided by them), but they told me to call back tomorrow and ask about GCN controllers since so many people brought them up

Basmothel

Smash Cadet
No it says in the rules that they have to use the Wii Mote and Numchuk :( but if you gamestop is willing to bend the rules a little bit thats cool, but just know if you go on to the next rounds that they will make you use the wiiMote and chuk
It doesn't mention Wiimote and Nunchuk anywhere in the rules. The rules were written vaguely so that the large majority of text blocks could be used for various tournaments, not just a Brawl one. The only thing regarding controllers mentioned in the rules is that you have to use controllers provided by the Gamestop (whether that includes Wiimote or a Gamecube controller).

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
i have a question... do u guys think i should use Ice climbers just because I might be get use to Wii remote.
I find Ice Climbers not only have extra hands to get extra items, but also good cpu. in addition, they got chain grab.
P.S I use fox in super smash
If you're not good with them, then you'll just get pwned. Also, are they even in the starting roster?

Beh

Smash Rookie

Don't bother being optimistic. Gamestop is run by people who follow the rules, and the rule is that if you are a minor, you have to have a guardian's signature. Bring a guardian if you want to play.

Basmothel

Smash Cadet
The website says it starts at 12:01 am... Help PLEASE!
12:01 is the time Brawl is released, which is independent of the time tournaments start.

Not only would they get in trouble if they didn't turn you away, there are likely to already be tons of people there, so anyway they can cut the people participating...

rusashi

Smash Apprentice
well they didn't say anything when we were there before...

i still doubt they'll turn me away..

and if you hadn't noticed, not every gamestop is enforcing the rule.

i guess ill just call in the morning

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't mention Wiimote and Nunchuk anywhere in the rules. The rules were written vaguely so that the large majority of text blocks could be used for various tournaments, not just a Brawl one. The only thing regarding controllers mentioned in the rules is that you have to use controllers provided by the Gamestop (whether that includes Wiimote or a Gamecube controller).
Well I know what it says in the "Official rules" that the gamestops will be able to choose the controller but I guess gamestops were notified that they have to have there contestants use the wiimote and Nunchuk.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=148268

Top Bottom