• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

gamestop Story thread!

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Tell us what happened at your gamestop? Did you win? Did you lose? all the juicy details.

My story

Well you know how everyone got to choose there character. . . Well When it got to my turn I choose Random. It was funny **** because everyone was like what the hell?! and the Manager said him self " Are you serious". Kinda funny because I ended up with a lucky pic and got dedede!

Yea i beat the hell out of this guy so bad that he had a pity final smash!!! Funny ****. . . I ended up losing to this one really good Mario player though, I think he said that he imported the game but I'm not sure.

Yeah i was a little upset that I only got to the second round but idk i have brawl!

dan smith

Smash Champion
Some moron from another town came and demanded his copy, the GS said they didn't have his, as he pre-ordered it at the store in his home town and they didn't have enough copies for him. His copy was waiting at the other GS.

(obviously)

He proceeded to swear, threaten, and argue with the manager of the store, in front of all assembled, even after he was informed that the police had been called. The police then arrived, fifteen minutes of yelling later, and he was dealt with.

All about a video game.

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet
He proceeded to swear, threaten, and argue with the manager of the store, in front of all assembled, even after he was informed that the police had been called. The police then arrived, fifteen minutes of yelling later, and he was dealt with.

All about a video game.
This is not an unusual level of fanatacism when you look around you on this forum. :p

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I showed up to watch the tournament with my friends, even though I wasn't getting a copy. At the last second they said they had 2 slots open, so I jumped in there and signed my name!

Our characters were chosen randomly. I got Olimar.

Olimar + first time playing Brawl + Nunchuck and Wiimote = I lost bad.

But it was still fun, my two friends I went with coincidentally made it to the finals against each other! I played Mario Kart DS with 7 other people the whole time. After 3 hours of afterparty Brawling, I'm now home.

Revolution1

Smash Rookie
some joker called the store and asked if anyone was dressed up as a battle toad. It was hilarious

o6ograveo9o

Smash Cadet
i got there, near the end of the line with 7 of my friends, then we went in, paid off our copies and then formed another line outside. then me and my group of friends cut from the back of the line to just about the front of the line. while in said line i won a yoshi toy from a smash tria thing they had going on, it ruled. also, the chick at gamestop that gave me my copy of brawl was awesome, she also gave me my yoshi, she totally digs me. (wishful thinking)

o6ograveo9o

Smash Cadet
oh, and some red head kid has this awesome fro, it was like 8 inches tall!

sorry for the double post

Galvanic

Smash Journeyman
I just came back from a "Super Smash Bros: Brawl" tourny.

I play a green Kirby.

I fight a default-colored Marth, freshly unlocked.

Our battleground is Sky World.

I start badly due to not knowing the controls.

As soon as I get re-used to the basics, my enemy picks up a Stop Watch.

Time slows down for me. I accidentally pick up a Screw Attack token as I get juggled around.

I get knocked off the stage. My jumps change. I don't know how to throw the Screw Attack off.

I barely recover and attempt to spam Stone and Final Cutter.

I miss and crash through the center platform. A Smash Ball appears!

Marth took the Smash Ball before I could even jump up to it.

I decide to use this to my advantage. Marth's Final Smash, "Critical Hit," sends him across the screen. If I'm hit, I get KO'd. If he misses, he's helpless and falls off the screen.

I assume correctly that the guy fighting me doesn't know how to work his Final Smash.

Marth charges at me and I do a simple areal dodge. Unfortunately, the time runs out a split second before he falls.

We find ourselves with 300% damage in a Sudden Death match.

Kirby's a light character, much more than Marth. Marth slams at me with his sword. I fail.

I had plenty of fun, anyway. :) Everybody there was casual. The guy who got in second played as Samus and missed his Final Smash 4 separate times. The only default one I didn't see played was Pit.

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
Horrible they mad e all of us go random and i got to almost last match! i even played game today 7 hours of it cause i got my copy early and ya so i didn't get my char plus used wii mote and nunchuk was horrible and was free for alls ? wtf

paOol

Smash Apprentice
i was number #30 out of 32 to sign up.
i get there, thinking its only a 32 person tournament.
i choose diddy (obviously) and i win.
everyone cheers , and im like , o do i get my trophy?
and the guy was like, o we're going to do another tournament after this so stick around.
-____________-
they setup another one, and i have to face the guy who wins that one.
so in the final match, me vs. lucas we got to play 3 stocks on final destination.
i asked items be turned off, but he left them on -________-.

i nearly 3 stocked him and then i am awarded with this.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5349/img4240bm6.jpg

i was a little disappointed that this gamestop didn't really give a prize besides the trophy. other ones handed out a free copy of brawl or a $50 gift card.

Beh

Smash Rookie
i think i may have been the first person eliminated in america at about 10:09pm. the dude didn't even kill me either. the lava in norfair did. lame.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
I was playing and I was about to finish the match but some guy pulls out a gun and shoot the guy next to me. I didn't know him but I'm a good guy so I slow down time and jump in front of the bullet (Since I'm superman) but it still hit me and I almost died!

Turns out the bullets were made out of krypyonite!

green_tea

Smash Rookie
there are no gamestops in the place i live in.............:(

but i played brawl from 3 weeks ago because my friend modded his wii
and dled and burned the japanese smash :):):):):):):)

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
My Gamestop's tourney spots filled up fast <_< I went back after the tourney at ~12:30ish and there was still a fat line to buy Brawl, and because I live with in a 1-2 min walk of Gamestop, I went back at 1 and they were closed so I didn't even get to buy it :[ Need to go again tomorrow at 11 when the open -____-

Isaac59

Smash Rookie
Glad others had a much better experience then me. I got there at 9:30 and waited. So everyone had signed up already before, close to half of the people didn't show up. SO what did the store do they had the guy who was running the tourney go in their place when there was people who wanted to be in the tourney waiting outside.

There was a security guard outside who had decided to take this importunity to flex his absolute authority over everyone there. Pretty much the only people that even got to see anything of brawl was the people who got called up. Then they'd open the gate up and let them in. Then they'd fight, i only got to see a tiny bit of what happened. The same guard threatened to throw people out if they made any noise or said anything and this was to little kids even. The kids who just wanted to see some Brawl in action because no one could see anything that was going on..

It was not a fun night. I'm just glad to have the game.

abectevolution

Smash Cadet
****.... that sucks. We had security guards but they just wandered around and left us alonge. The store clerks let the majority of us chill in the store to watch the tournament. I didn't get to see much though because no matter where I stood, there was always some ******* standing in front of me that kept moving left and right. Every time I tired to move over and look around him, he would sway in front of me. Same deal no matter where I stood. I got fed up and walked around the mall talking to random people on my cell phone.

A really awsome thing did happen though. There was a nice sized poster on the window that was custom designed and it said "Midnight launch" with a bunch of smash characters and a date/time and such with a black background. I convinved the store owner to give it to me and he made me wait until everyone left and then I got it. Didn't rip or anything when it was taken down. Can't wait to find a spot for it. He asked me if I was going to ebay it and I was like "hell no, it's going on my wall".

Iraku

Smash Cadet
Well, I was the only one who didn't swear constantly. If you lost your match, you had to go outside. I got to play against a guy dressed as Luigi, who would've beaten me if he didn't commit suicide for some reason (beat 'em in Sudden Death). Everyone was mad when I beat him in that. Overall, nobody understood the controls, but everyone thought that I imported the Japanese version. And I won. I thought that it was a fantastic night.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I faced the eventual champion in the first round. after watching 14 scrubs play horribly, i lose in the first round.

sucked butt.

the tourney structure was wack

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I spent the first 30 seconds being completely disoriented and trying to get used to jumping with Z, shielding with C, and not doing anything but A attacks with my thumb. I couldn't recover from a simple attack and practically suicided, then the guy ran away for the rest of the match.

1 minute was totally not enough time.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha my best moment of the tourney was in the quarterfinals... We had random chars, and I got Fox, and was playing another Fox... The kid actually knew what he was doing, so it was looking like sudden death as neither of us had died yet... I jump through a platform to try and throw a crate at him, and he goes to attack me, I land on TOP of the crate, which neither of us had realized was a rolling crate, and it's too late for him to stop his attack so the box bounces from the edge like a foot away and slams into him, killing him with 1 second left

NDUDE

Smash Ace
I won my tourney with Pit. It was really really fun, even for the people who lost. We were all excited, and one guy kept some commentary going and keeping us laughing.

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
I was playing and I was about to finish the match but some guy pulls out a gun and shoot the guy next to me. I didn't know him but I'm a good guy so I slow down time and jump in front of the bullet (Since I'm superman) but it still hit me and I almost died!

Turns out the bullets were made out of krypyonite!
ahahhaha nice

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
I was winning until the guy next to me said i couldn't play. I said why and he said cause you work here. I said but i don't and he slapped a nametag on me and now i work there.

Raziken

Smash Cadet
So I show up and sign in for my slot in the tourni ( I filled the final slot). And they had us play in actual tourni mode.

3 Stock, Full Item-Set, 10 Minute Time Limit. Certain Stages were blocked out by option, but Two combatants could agree on a level and play a banned one.

The setting was right for my victory and I Started off with my Main (They had a full Char and Level select). Totally took out Marth with my first match, Faced off with Meta-Knight in my 2nd match, and went head to head with Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle) for my 3rd. Hit my fourth match and almost lost out to Mario, all because some 7 year old kid ran into me an knocked me over as I was playing. So I'm on the ground and my opponent looks at me and thinks its a great time to smash me as I am too busy trying to get up. Whooped him for that one.

My final battle didnt get to take place because same said kid decided to totally mess up the Wii wireing and pretty much fry it. Me and the Other guy were awarded with some pretty nice Nintendo gear, (I got a Hat and a Keychain) plus a 25$ gift card (would have been 50$ total for the winner), Free Copy of Smash, and Breakfast at a Local Restauant.

Nifty, I say :D

Vash619

Smash Apprentice
Even tho its not a Gs story, it's similar Best Buy tourney etc. Waiting in line in the pouring rain from 10am-6pm Then getting elim'd first round by my best friend. Overall the rules were ******** classic controlers only, starting chars only, 4 minute timed matched.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
My gamestop was having a tourny sunday morning for some reason.

So I didnt go.

The players didn't look very good.

They were playing 1 stock, 2 minute match for some reason... kinda glad i dindt play.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
My gamestop was having a tourny sunday morning for some reason.

So I didnt go.

The players didn't look very good.

They were playing 1 stock, 2 minute match for some reason... kinda glad i dindt play.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
My tournament was was snowed out, but it's happening again next Saturday. One week to practice FTW!

(I got the first copy of Brawl in my town, too.)

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
It was the second round Well I was using Ike and owning my friend's IC then I SD twice cause I could'nt figure out the button to do an up-B. So we were tied with like 10 seconds left and I did a smash (dont remeber witch) and he was just about to fall below the stage limits when he did an up b. He was to far to grab the edge but stayed alive until the time ran out. Then owned me in the Sudden Death, cause Ike is slow. My friend got owned in the third round so it was all good.

Top Bottom