• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop - Ireland Brawl Tourney Thurs 26th June

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Hello Gentlemen,

I have gotten wind of a tournament taking place in Gamestops across Ireland a mere two days from now.

It seems to be the Irish equivilent of the Gamestation UK Tourney.

Details I have:

This is taking place Thursday the 26th of June (quite short notice) at 9pm in a number of stores across the country.

As far as I'm aware, these stores are:

Dun Laoghaire (Dublin)
Henry St (Dublin)
Clarehall (Dublin)
Sligo (Sligo)
Wexford (Wexford)
Mallow (Cork)
Killarney (Kerry)
Belfast (NI)

Each store has a placement for 16 participants, and I understand that people who put deposits on Brawl will get first priority.

Prizes are as follows:

1st place: €200/£150 Gift card

2nd place: €75/£50

Everyone who enters will get a Smash Bros Keyring, and a fiver off purchasing brawl.

No news on the rules, but if the UK tournament is anything to go by, you can assume its going to be starting characters only, and items will be on.

We might actually get one-on-ones instead of free for alls though, since 16 is a much more managable tournament number.

I unfortunately am unable to participate that evening, but I wish you all the very best of luck, and hope you get yourselves down to a Gamestop ASAP to book your place.

Also let me know if you win :p

This message will also be sent to everyone on the Irish Smashers mailing list.

Cheers!

Dave

nowe

Smash Rookie
sweet problem is though i wont be able to get there before thursday does any body know if there is a number you can ring to regestier?? i rang 11811 for the one in town but they gave me the wrong number!!!>_>

if anybody could help me out here it would be great

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
THANK YOU DAVE!!! You are my hero. When exactly was this advertised? Because me and Gory Snake RRRREAALLY wanna get a place

nowe

Smash Rookie
i was talking to a few people i know and none of them knew about this and i was in hanry street about a week and a half ago and i dont remember seeing anything i might have missed it

lynkx id just ring check 2moro thats what im goning to do id say theres a good few places still open

and even if there isnt im sure if theres enough demand they will expand the capaciticy of the tournament

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
This was only announced last Friday, so none of the stores knew about it until then.

Also as far as I'm aware, they only have enough prizes for 16 people, so the 16 place thing is pretty much set in stone.

I'm totally demanding pictures/videos and a write up from whomever attends any of these things around the country, since I can't.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Oops doublepost.

Darragh/Kalignar said he's going to try and take the Killarney store victory, so best of luck to him there!

Shame we don't have a Smashboarder in each of these locations to guarantee total ownage.

nowe

Smash Rookie
****...well its less then a week old so hopefully every body that does want to attend will get a place

well i went to a halo 3 tourney the day defore it was released(just like this, wired) the the xbl center which is now closed and there was only meant to be 50 people taking part but over 100 were allowed to partisipate( i dont knnow if they all got prizes but most people were given a memory card and a key ring/light just for taking part!)

that was only in one place tho and this is going on in 5 differnt shops so the prizes are going to be spread out **** >_>

also gamestop are pritty stingy about there pics and vedio rules but ill try and get some and ill happily make a write up if i go

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Well, I just rang 'em there (It's 9:00am now) and there's about 5 or 6 spaces left in Henry St. You have to physcially step into the shop and reserve a space though, you can't do it over the phone. They said it's best to reserve a space today since the demand may rise tomorrow.

I will be able to go and I will be able to bring my camera with me, I'll upload the video onto YouTube and I'll TRY to remember everything and give everyone a who didn't go a description of how it went. I may even bring a notepad and pencil.

I will be the DeadEyeDave in Henry St.'s GameStop for the day!

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Seriously Dave thank you so much for the information, the chance to play Brawl a day early (even though some people have played it months early) and a possibilty of some prizes! I just wish there was a doubles tournament as well, so me and Matt could clean house! :chuckle:

Matt told me it would be a 1v1 tournament, no word on any other rules since he wont answer his phone, Matt and I are going into today hopefully, to secure a place.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Aagh, heard about it too late to be able to make it.. a thousand curses.
Best of luck to you smashboarders anyway, give 'em hell.:)

nowe

Smash Rookie
im kinda hoping its only starters even tho marth is my main :p if its not starters there will be alot of marths and i cant fight marth as marth for some reason mebe its cuz the guy i play most has a really annoying marth

anyway if it is starters fox will do me fine

for some reason i have a feeling there will be alot of ikes and metakinghts 2moro

Smash Rookie
Just got my place in the tournament today :). Can't wait to play Brawl. Also i hope your wrong about the it starting at 9am instead of 9pm elce i can't go =/ other than that ill be smashing it up with the rest of ye tomorrow.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Aww yeah, Matt and I got our places at the Henry St. tournament, there's practice games before hand so Im gonna try out a few characters like Metaknight or Ike, and if all else fails, Boozer

nowe

Smash Rookie
see u there gorey i saw the vid of u and pika hope i get to play you man!!

are u allowed on early??? like 7pm or something

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
The tournament itself starts at roughly 9:15 or 9:30. Practice rounds from 9pm until the tournament starts. I'll see you there!

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys.

To prevent any confusion,the tournament is on at 9pm, at night. The shops are staying open extra late to accomodate them.

And the only way I can see secret characters as being unlockable is if you get them in the warm-up rounds. The game hasn't been released, so there's no way for the shop to have a save file with extra characters on it.

nowe

Smash Rookie
nice one dave! i thought for a moment it was on at 9am and there is no chance of me getting into the city center then or even getting up tbh :p

should be great fun and a 200 euro voucher does not sould half bad ....nor does 75 quid

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
The rules are apparently

you can only use 3 characters in total(only the starting line up too)

You have to use the wiimote and nunchuck

Only a few people can enter.I tried but it was booked out already.

Items.

SOUNDS DODGY TO ME!

ILL BE THERE TO CHEER YOU GUYS IN HENRY STREET ON!(and buy smash....im sick of freeloading)

Also to Gory....Marth is very easy to unlock.Just play with each starting charcter once and BAM!Instant Marth.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
I was afraid I'd have to use the wiimote, and I was expecting items to be on unfortunately, tenner bets I lose to a Final Smash

nowe

Smash Rookie
hopefully they might let us use marth cus i just tried fox last night and its been so long since ive used him i suck now>_>

yea i kinda guessed there would be items but i aint happy about the wii+nunchuck thing

3 charaters sounds reasonable

tenner bets half the ppl will pick ike pit and the meatkinght as there three>_>

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Just got back from town, met some sound people at the tournament and saw nowe, Michael (2022) and his brother Eamonn, and my first time playing Brawl and I must say it lived up to my expectations (actually if anything it exceeded them since my standards dropped so low after the numerous complaints from other smashers). I'll give a quick summary of my matches. We chose not to take Matt's camera, for fear of theft.

Matt (Lynkx) and I were the first in the door and like little school girls we ran to the TV playing Brawl. We got our practice round first, Matt as his trusty Link, and me choosing the one character I actually felt confident using: Bowser. Stages were on random and all stages were chosen. We got Yoshi's Story and it started off with his trying to grasp the controls, thankfully someone told us the controls before the tournament began. Unfortunately I have forgotten everyones name already. Anyway, this practice round was a total failure for Matt and I, we air dodged instead of recovered numerous times, I mixed up jump with the B button, and the wiimote sucks. Eventually it was 1 stock each and I went for the Bowsercide thinking that I would get the win, but it went down to sudden death which Matt won in an instant.

After the practice rounds were over and done with, I was first up against a Kirby player. I didnt like my odds with Bowser but I went ahead anyway. The start was horrendous, Kirby hit me left and right as I struggled with the controls (again wiimote sucks). I lost a stock and was up to 190% before I saw my chance, a smash ball floated by as I F-smashed it and turned into Giga Boozer. Giga F-smash brought me back in the game, I was soon able to get another stock off of him. I wanted to finish the match with a Bowsercide since I was up a stock but I couldnt catch him as remained in the air. He knocked me back a stock so it was 1 stock each, I was freaking out almost sure my end had come. But Bowser's strength saw me through the end as I pulled a victory out of nowhere. Just as I won: A New Challenger Appears! I took control again as I unlocked Marth. I grew alot more confident for this tournament.

My next match was later announced: against Matt. I was hoping for a Finals match between us both but we had to play each other here and now. I asked one of the guys who worked there if I could switch my character to someone else, amazingly he didnt seem to mind me playing as Marth (thank you Aidan for that tip). Our match took place on a custom made stage which started off right at the top of the screen, this was a tense match, it was the first time I went Marth against Matt's Link in months, this time in Brawl. Luckily Marth is as good as ever, as I took 2 stock off Matt, he cameback with a stock of his own just as I got greedy reaching for the smash ball. In the end I won the match.

Semi Finals. I had to face Eamonn and his Ness. On the worst stage ever, The Summit. This was my demise and the end of my tournament run. In the end, a B-air out of nowhere, a B-throw, and a Final Smash ended me. It was a good match and ther better man won, but I will get my revenge!! Wifi-style.

The tournament was won by a friend of Aidans, defeating Eamonn in the finals. Unfortunately I didnt see since we had to leave after my loss.

In the end, Matt and I left with our prizes, a Smash Bros. Brawl T-shirt and a Smash Bros. Keyring. All in all it was a fun experience and I cant wait to run out to town tomorrow to buy Brawl. Also MAJOR thanks to Dave, if it wasnt for you I wouldnt have had the chance to go

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Note: This isn't exactly the entire night persay, but mostly my experience of playing Brawl. Enjoy!

Well, I can happily say that I HAVE PLAYED BRAWL! It's AWESOME! I was being Yellow Link for every match except for starters. I will tell you all I can remember:

Gory Snake (Nathan) and I arrived outside GameStop in Henry St. at 8:35pm. GameStop had its shutters down and we kept saying to ourselves "Imagine it was all a joke, and a big Rick Roll just came on outside GameStop".

About five minutes into waiting and we say 2022 coming up Henry Street. Each of us brought controllers just in case they would let us them. We doubted it. We all spoke about Smash for a while, standing near GameStop.

A few minutes later and two other combatmants came along (whom should be joing SWF tonight). They recognised us as Gamers straight away, and had the courage to ask us "Are you's here for the Smash Bros. thing?". Matthew was one of their names (and coincedencley, uses Link) and we just can't remember the other guy's name. These guys were very cool, and were very easy to talk to (we just spoke about Captain Falcon).

A few minutes later (it's now about 8:50 at this point), more gamers came along! We knew they were Smash players straight away. We were all talking about Smash. There was about 7 of us talking about Smash in one group. It was brilliant, so comforting at the same time. We were all eagerly anticipating to break down the shutters and just barge in (or act like zombies, banging against the shutters in a slow manner as someone said. "Brrrrrawlzzzz...").

As we were in our own group, we spotted out people whom we thought were fellow Smashers. A man and his girlfriend came over to us as well. These were people we did not expect at all to even know what Smash is, but surprisingly, they came over to the group and asked "Is this the Smash Bros. Brawl yolk?".

It is now 9:05. The shutters should have opened 5 minutes ago. I kept asking "Why aren't they opening?!" and Nathan is sure to remember my array of questions about where I could get a glass of water.

The shutters begin to open... I was the most anticipated person there, so I ran right up to the shutters. The owner of the shop asked us our names before we went in. I was first to enter and get my name asked. After that I ran straight to the Brawl stand. I looked upon it in awe. I glared at the character selection screen as a big smile spread across my face. I literally jumped with joy. I grabbed the Wiimote and Nunchuck and began to fiddle with the character selection screen. I laughed with glee. I picked Link first. Nathan came along and picked Bowser. I tried to change costume but I ended up hitting the Plus button, whcih starts the game. I didn't even want to start! I expected someone of a higher authority to start. I wanted to quit, as I didn't want to be bad, but Nathan really wanted to play.

First stage ever to be played in: That Yoshi One Where the Seasons Change. We messed around with the controls for a bit. I was bamboozled with the controls at first, since we played with the nunchuck and Wiimote. I felt ********. I kept taunting when I wanted to do specials! It was horrific! I also got very confused with the shield and the special button, so instead of throwing a boomerang, I dodged. Instead of dodging, I blew myself up with bombs. Instead of recovering, I dodged in mid air, etc.

Wild Smash Ball appeared! It was a desperate struggle to get it, blood rushed through my body. Nathan got it in the end though, which resulted in him knocking me out. I learned that the Smash Balls can REALLY turn the tides in a match.

In the end of the entire match, I won. He was being Bowser after all, but I guess I got lucky since he beat me in Melee with Bowser before. Not my proudest moment...

We watched the other practice rounds and everyone had the same reaction. "Whoa, this game is so cool!" "WTF is up with the Wiimote?" "WHY CAN'T I BE CAPTAIN FALCON???". Many matches were close, others were embarrassing. I remember one match between Ike and Marth (in the official rounds) where Ike kept slipping off Pokemon stadium and using Up B under the stage... it was horrific to look at. I sympathised him. I think it was Nowe...

In my first official match, I was up against Kirby on the Mario Kart stage. I distinctly remember one part where I got hit by all the karts, which nearly knocked me out. Everyone was all like "Watch out!" and I was all like "Huh????". It was humourous. The Final Smashes in that match REALLY made a difference. First Smash Ball that appeared was obtained by me. Unfortunately, I got knocked out while Link was on fire. Dissapointing in the least. Another Smash Ball apperead, hooray! Again, I grabbed it. Kirby was koncked out beforehand, so while Link was on fire, Kirby waitied on his platform thing that he comes in on after he dies for as long as possible. Link was still on fire when he came down. I waited until Kirby was vulnerable. Kirby opened his mout and tried to suck me in but I blasted a Final Smash Arrow into his mouth and SLISH SLASH SLOSH SLASH SLISH SLOSH BANG! Kirby is knocked out. I think that was his last life gone too. I felt so lucky after that match and I was amazed that I won. I was through to the next round! I'll be playing Brawl once more!

I didn't pay close attention to the other rounds. However, my name was called shortly after a few matches.

"Matthew O'Loughlin vs. Nathan (I won't say his surname, in case he may not want me to)"

Quarter Finals, against my friend. This happened to a lot of people, being paired up against their friends. Well, I dreaded it, because I knew Nathan would kick my *** (and he did) because we managed to unlock Ness and Marth during the matches. Nathan chose Marth. Doom was nigh in the life of Matthew.

And I guessed right, Nathan kicked my *** with Marth... again! Just like in the tourney. It was game over for me.

Well, that means Nathan got through to the Semi Finals. He went up against Eamonn, 2022's brother. Eamonn used Ness while Nathan played as Marth and they fought on that Ice Climber stage (Stages were COMPLETELY random). Both players were very skilled with their characters, and funnily enough, both were unlockables that were unlocked during the tourney. The victory was given to Eamonn in the end, due to his Final Smash. The match was verrrry close actually, but the Smash Ball determined it.

After that match, me and Nathan got on our way home via my Dad. One of Aidan's friends won the entire thing, Eoin was his name (not sure if that's spelt correctly) and Eamonn came second. Well done to both of you!

And that's it, the night went pretty quickly to be honest, hope you enjoyed your insight to my experience of playing Brawl!

tadonnen

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, remember me -- the bringer of Cake!

Well, I figured since the Henry St. Store was booked out, I'd try Dun Laoghire and Clare Hall. Dun Laoghire was filled up, but Clare Hall had 4 spaces left when I got there. The Nintendo rep for Ireland was there running it, and they were using the Tournament function of the game. Thankfully, he also gave everyone the choice between Wiimote, Wiimote and Nunchuck, Classic controller and Gamecube controller.

I sort of lucked out, because as the Nintendo rep was getting everyone's character, I was the only person who knew which I was going to play (Metaknight), everyone else looked at a poster of the game and would say things like "the big monkey!" or "Charizard!!!" Needless to say, none of them had ever actually played any Smash game before, and I won, losing only one life the whole tournament. I'm glad I won, but I think it would have been more of a victory if there had been at least one other Smash player there, even a bad one. There was a girl working that night who said she was really glad a girl won, there was only me and one other girl in the entire 16 player tournament.

I played against a bunch of Pikachus, that big monkey, that "robot chick" (Samus) and a Charizard who was mostly a B spamming Ivysaur. I'm getting a red DS and my copy of Smash with my winnings =)

The Nintendo rep was really nice, though. He held tutorials beforehand, so that at least some of them knew the basic button set up. The lads made me play against him after the tournament, and I lost, though I did get two lives off of him. He then stayed for awhile afterwards running 4 player free for alls but I had to go.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
for the love of Christ, we should've discussed who writes the summary first
Now theres 2 summaries for people to read, and the Ike player who SD'd 3 times on Pokemon Stadium 2 wasnt nowe, it was the Falcon player who's name we couldnt remember. In fairness my Melee Bowser victory over you was when we were doing a worst characters match and you chose Ness.

And congratulations tadonnen for your win! I wish there were more noobs at Henry St. Normally I'd love competition but a 200 euro gift card doesnt come every day

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Congrats lads! 'specially to Tadonnen on the win. I went mad and used the money I'd saved for Brawl to finally buy Melee and a new controller over the net so I won't be joining yee on wi-fi just yet.

...but soon!

nowe

Smash Rookie
wow i was going to write one but i got knocked out in the first round fox let me down and the nunchuck combo let was annoying but it was fun and the dude i played did amasing with ness witht the nunchuck combo 0_o

i got pritty annoyed actually and i had my doushe of a friend sigining in the car the whole way home

well done tadonnen im gald some one on the smash boards got something

how is every body finding brawl so far??? im loveing it so far all this stuff about floatyness seems to be a load of bs but haveing said that i havent played many 1v1s(well against good players:p) yet so i dont know if the lack of hit stun etc make a huge diff

anybody finding themselves maining with some one they didnt expect??

i love zero suit samus and lucas!!! and i have never liked ness and i like falco in this one and i never used him in melee even tho i mained fox for a long time

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
The very day Brawl was released Matt came over to my house for the night and we had dozens of Brawl matches. I just finished Subspace and got all the characters.

My old main, Marth, feels awkward to use right now, his sword has been shortened, so when ever I go for a tipper, I just end up missing. I keep forgetting dash cancelling isnt in this game anymore as well, so dash cancel to f-smash (best way to KO with Melee Marth imo), just ends with me doing a dash attack.

My new main is a character I never thought I'd use, Zelda. She's been buffed in nearly every category. Matt and I decided to choose a new character to try out, I chose Zelda, he chose Ike. I end up 3 stocking his Ike (it was his first time as Ike). She's insanely good in the game.

I loved Melee Bowser, but Brawl Bowser is even better. He feels faster while still having the strength of Melee Bowser. Everyone hates Brawl Ganon, I like him. His new side B can be combo'd out of or can be useful for tech chases, and he's still a tank.

I just got Toon Link and Wolf, so I havent had a proper chance to use them but they seem pretty good. But Jiggs has been nerfed badly, her rest attack is now just crap and her edgeguarding isnt as effecting as Melee Jiggs, since all recoveries have been buffed. And Captain Falcon now sucks. I just had to say that. Although Im still determined to try and get good at using him. There's loads of characters I like using but Im not gonna bore you with all the details

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I see you guys met my friend Eoghan.(Fox)He's my doubles partner too.(He just wasnt at the last tournament)

Vorr1k

Smash Rookie
and i find out about this after the event ... yey :'(

doesnt seem to be much action on the scene in ireland at all, i've heard of one or 2 tourneys going on at lans but havent actually seen them in action, the one i saw once was melee and i won that but not much action in brawl.

someone should like unite all the irish players into one roof and then we can make amazing plays... and then we can play the game.

Smash Rookie
Brawl is indeed an awsome game :). Now that samus sucks ive moved on to dedede :D. Hes a bit slow but he can chain grab like theres no tomorrow.

nowe

Smash Rookie
lol pikaville my names eoghan and i played as fox :p though you were talking about me for a sec :p

yea gory i play as marth to but your right his sword is ALOT shorter (well it feels like it) and they took away my favroite move of his (third downward slash of the danceing blade, the meteor strike) and..well theres a few more little differnces but ill get used to them

and i really like ganondorf now aswell tho he is quite slow

wow so zelda is a beast now?? hmm i heard shiek got nerfed to **** but i didnt know zelda was really good

Top Bottom