• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Brawl Demos?

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Anybody have an idea when these are coming in?
I heard someone say they're already available.
I want to play it badly.

Lucas_User

Smash Journeyman
I heard theyre going to be in stores soon with the same demo as E4All.

Pi

Smash Hero
Are you joking? Generally the first response is negative which supports my initial reaction that this is complete BS, but the first response in this thread is one of semi-agreeance.

Is this true? Can we get a Brawl Demo at Gamestop? What's going on!!

And can we not say ****it?

Sedaheht

Smash Rookie
I called my local EBGames (more like I was beside my friend when HE did), and they said that they don't know. It's Nintendo's choice when the demo stands are given out, and so far they haven't been told when it will happen.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
What's next? Do they censor the word "Bee"? (it was somewhere else)
I hope this doesn't spread too far. Gamestop will be ravaged if the whole neighbourhood knows.

Speedy Gonzales

Smash Apprentice
No no, I was just testing :o.

And will these be take home demo's or will we have to play them at the stores :o?
O my bad. But when I went to GameStop the other day, they said that I could like download it off the computer. She also said that demos would only be available for people that preorderd the game. So I guess that means take it home?

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
But when I went to GameStop the other day, they said that I could like download it off the computer.
Hooray for BS employees!
You can't download a Wii demo and expect it to play on your PC or Wii whatsoever.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Some of the gamestops in the metroplex say they're not getting any, but 1 or 2 of them say they just don't have them yet.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
so Lucas User how do you know so much about the Brawl demos and that Gamestop has them?

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I recently called two local GameStops, and both of them said demos would be given away with a pre-order. They also said the store itself would be getting some in 2-3 weeks, and they will have a midnight release.

I don't really believe what they said about the demos, but come on guys. Only 29 days left. ;)

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I hate Gamestop's and hope they don't get demos just so I won't be tempted to go in there and deal with their employees and management.

Tek32

Smash Cadet
How can you not like Gametsop????? It's like one of the best stores in the world.

Suna

Smash Journeyman
I would like some take home demos and I pre-orderd and if we really are getting the E4ALL ones that would be nice cuz both my mains would be in lol

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
Why don't they just give us a special edition of smash 64 with online play, we don't need the demo since it'll lose all of its value when the game comes out a week later. They can even go cheaper than that and give us a sprite based version of smash on a gamecube disc with just 5-10 characters and a simple 4 or 5 levels. Just imagine playing with mario and kirby in their original SNES era pixelized forms, and i'm sure they can whip that up pretty quick at the lab. But why give out demos so close to release? they shouldve handed them out last year.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
That's gay;

One of my friends at school said the same thing a few months ago; I asked the store manager and he said:

"Last I recall, we won't be getting ANY brawl demos; the only demos that were EVER released were the ones at E4ALL, last I checked. So no, we do not have ANY brawl demos of that sort."
But, like I said, I asked the guy A FEW MONTHS AGO. So don't get confused please.

And that's gay that you have to have it pre-ordered to be able to download it. How many blocks will it take up, I wonder...?

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
How can you not like Gametsop????? It's like one of the best stores in the world.
Because I used to have an EBGames in the town I used to live in. Then Gamestop took over my senior year with new management and new employees. That's when you realize how much Gamestop sucks.

I also hate every person who works there. They get all pissy about playing the demos when there's no one else around wanting to play, not to mention they all talk to much. Seriously, do they have a training program where every Gamestop employee is encouraged to talk way too much about every game you're thinking about buying?

Not to mention they usually have horrible taste/are misinformed.

I missed being able to walk over from the coffee shop to EBGames and being able to play a demo without being hassled, and maybe having a conversation with an employee who's not a moron.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
I can give you 5 reasons as to WHY GameStop sucks:
-Their prices are RIDICULOUS
-They only sell the brand new systems & games (none earlier than the GameCube)
-They're over rated and they don't give you their full opinions on games that you're going to buy
-They're just a bunch of ***holes and ***** about everything
-I can give you a REAL example of them over pricing; One day, a few months ago, I went across town to get a Guitar Hero II controller for my Xbox 360. I went inside GameStop, and it was $60!!! Can you believe it??? Then, I went to go and buy it, and the jerk made me pay $10 extra for it (not including taxes)!

You've obviously never been to any other game stores in your life; There's one down the road from my house, and it's a Game store that has only 1 gaming store in the WORLD! They beat the crap out of GameStop here in my town!

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Do reservations count as pre-orders?
They are the exact same thing >_>

Why don't they just give us a special edition of smash 64 with online play, we don't need the demo since it'll lose all of its value when the game comes out a week later. They can even go cheaper than that and give us a sprite based version of smash on a gamecube disc with just 5-10 characters and a simple 4 or 5 levels. Just imagine playing with mario and kirby in their original SNES era pixelized forms, and i'm sure they can whip that up pretty quick at the lab. But why give out demos so close to release? they shouldve handed them out last year.
It takes literally no effort for Nintendo to make demos. However, for Nintendo to re-wire Smash 64 with online capability, and/or make a totally new game with sprites? That would take a while. Why would you want Nintendo to do something totally unneeded when all we want is a demo? XD

And that's gay that you have to have it pre-ordered to be able to download it. How many blocks will it take up, I wonder...?
No such thing exists. Gamestop will not release a certain "demo" for you to download onto your Wii, because they don't control that, Nintendo does. And even then, Nintendo would not require you to pre-order at a Gamestop to play a demo of Brawl from the Wii Shop Channel or something. They don't have any sort of agreement to solely support Gamestop and pre-ordering from them. You wouldn't be able to download it on the PC, because you wouldn't be able to play a Wii game on the PC.

-They're over rated and they don't give you their full opinions on games that you're going to buy
-I can give you a REAL example of them over pricing; One day, a few months ago, I went across town to get a Guitar Hero II controller for my Xbox 360. I went inside GameStop, and it was $60!!! Can you believe it??? Then, I went to go and buy it, and the jerk made me pay $10 extra for it (not including taxes)!
They suck, but your reasons are BS.
- Their prices are rather fair, especially on new/used games since they're MSRP.
- They sell used systems as well.
- I don't want their opinion on a game I'm going to buy. I know what I want and I don't need their commentary. So why are you complaining about them not giving you opinions on the games you want? Why don't you do your own research on a game you want and decide if it's good enough for you, not based on some stupid employee's opinion?
- Uh huh. Way to generalize and stereotype.
- Was the controller brand new with the game? If so I might be able to understand. Paying $10 extra? Doubt it. Even if this is true, that's one Gamestop. Sorry you had a lousy experience.

Although I usually stick to GameCrazy =P

Leviscus

Smash Apprentice
Because I used to have an EBGames in the town I used to live in. Then Gamestop took over my senior year with new management and new employees. That's when you realize how much Gamestop sucks.

I also hate every person who works there. They get all pissy about playing the demos when there's no one else around wanting to play, not to mention they all talk to much. Seriously, do they have a training program where every Gamestop employee is encouraged to talk way too much about every game you're thinking about buying?

I missed being able to walk over from the coffee shop to EBGames and being able to play a demo without being hassled, and maybe having a conversation with an employee who's not a moron.
I feel ya man...I used to work at an EB Games before Gamestop bought em out, the guys I worked with were awesome, we enjoyed going to work, but once Gamestop came into the picture...it all went to Hell...My manager got tired of their crap and eventually quit, along with my assistant manager, so me and the other guys figured, well, guess this is it guys, and we all quit as well. Still don't know how they managed to keep the store open that week...no one was working lol.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice

EXACTLY! And they're always annoying the **** out of you, trying to sell you their membership cards and their magazines.

"Is that all for today?"
"Well, if you bought one of our GameStop savings cards for $20, you will save 5% on your game purchase AND you'll get like a 12 month magazine thing shipped to your house!"
"Ummm...Thanks but no thanks..."

$20 for a 5% savings? That's a load of bull-**** if you ask me! The game store down the road from me offers a $5 savings card that gives you 10% EXTRA on trade-in on games and saves you like 10% on games, too. IT LASTS FOR A WHOLE YEAR WITHOUT THE GAY MAGAZINE SALES THING!

Bendu

Smash Journeyman

You've obviously never been to any other game stores in your life; There's one down the road from my house, and it's a Game store that has only 1 gaming store in the WORLD! They beat the crap out of GameStop here in my town!
QFMFT.

Gamestop is terrible. Only use them for a last resort if you can't find anything. I buy all my new games at Wal-Mart or Hastings. And all used games at other stores. (You can get great deals at Hasting's/other retailers that rent games. If they have too many rental copies of a game they may have expected to be rented more often. They'll put it on sale as a used copy. I bought Battalion Wars 2 for about half the price and it was in perfect condition cause it had never even been rented.)

Gamestop is my last stop (huhu, pun) if I can't find a game.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
They suck, but your reasons are BS.
- Their prices are rather fair, especially on new/used games since they're MSRP.
- They sell used systems as well.
- I don't want their opinion on a game I'm going to buy. I know what I want and I don't need their commentary. So why are you complaining about them not giving you opinions on the games you want? Why don't you do your own research on a game you want and decide if it's good enough for you, not based on some stupid employee's opinion?
- Uh huh. Way to generalize and stereotype.
- Was the controller brand new with the game? If so I might be able to understand. Paying $10 extra? Doubt it. Even if this is true, that's one Gamestop. Sorry you had a lousy experience.

Although I usually stick to GameCrazy =P
No, they're not, yours are.

-Not really; At my game store here in town, they sell One Piece: Grand Battle for $10 used on the GameCube, while GameStop sells the EXACT SAME GAME for $25 used.
-If by used, you mean like GameCube, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS3, and DS
-I ALWAYS want someone's opinion besides my own when I'm buying a game; it's like a want an edge on how the game is, and if the person says it's a good game, it's a good game; but not with GameStop. I asked them once if some game was worth it's time, and they said, "Oh yeah, it's worth it, the whole $20 worth at that". I went home, played it, and it SUCKED. I sold it the next day.
-Well, it's true!
-no, it was by itself AND the $10 extra was with it.

This wasn't the only experience; I've had TONS.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
QFMFT.

Gamestop is terrible. Only use them for a last resort if you can't find anything. I buy all my new games at Wal-Mart or Hastings. And all used games at other stores. (You can get great deals at Hasting's/other retailers that rent games. If they have too many rental copies of a game they may have expected to be rented more often. They'll put it on sale as a used copy. I bought Battalion Wars 2 for about half the price and it was in perfect condition cause it had never even been rented.)

Gamestop is my last stop (huhu, pun) if I can't find a game.
same here, mate

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
For the oblivious people who are ONLY just hearing of this now (We knew this before Brawl was released in Japan)

We're supposedly getting the same type of demo station that the Japanese got prior to their Brawl release

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
No, they're not, yours are.

-Not really; At my game store here in town, they sell One Piece: Grand Battle for $10 used on the GameCube, while GameStop sells the EXACT SAME GAME for $25 used.
-If by used, you mean like GameCube, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS3, and DS
-I ALWAYS want someone's opinion besides my own when I'm buying a game; it's like a want an edge on how the game is, and if the person says it's a good game, it's a good game; but not with GameStop. I asked them once if some game was worth it's time, and they said, "Oh yeah, it's worth it, the whole $20 worth at that". I went home, played it, and it SUCKED. I sold it the next day.
-Well, it's true!
-no, it was by itself AND the $10 extra was with it.

This wasn't the only experience; I've had TONS.
Then why don't you go someplace else?

Your reasons are asinine, especially if you are continously shopping there.

- It doesn't matter what someone else is doing. They are trying to make money, not running a charity for people to play crap games like One Piece.
- Yes, that's what he meant by used....what's your point?
- Research online, read reviews, etc. It is not their responsiblity to know what you like and don't like about each game. Just because one person liked a game doesn't mean everyone else would.
- No, its opinion.
- Then you should have told them that you wouldn't pay the extra $10, because a fair price was listed on the box. You have a right as a consumer to disagree with them, and if they are still trying to do it, talk to a manager or something. Discussing things with the people you have gripes with helps solve problems, not *****ing on the internet to people that can't change what happened.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
- Yes, that's what he meant by used....what's your point?
- Research online, read reviews, etc. It is not their responsiblity to know what you like and don't like about each game. Just because one person liked a game doesn't mean everyone else would.
- No, its opinion.
There are plenty of good used game shops that buy and sell any kind of old games. Y'know, SNES, NES, Sega? Gamestop doesn't even bother with Dreamcast, which was last gen. The closest a Gamestop gets is selling some old GBC games. (While Christmas shopping I saw that they were selling a used Pokemon Silver cartridge and almost bought it before I realized how overpriced it was.) So what he means is there are stores that are better for used games. Especially if you enjoy classics as well as moderns.

Also, it's really annoying whenever they **** a parent out of their money. They know middle-aged people don't know anything, but they still try as hard as they can to sell them stuff they know is bad or sell them stuff without telling them about all the OTHER crap they'll have to buy (accessories to play a game and whatnot.) I've had relatives buy gifts for my younger cousins, and it always makes me mad how they get ripped off. Keep in mind in most any other industry that kind of salesman dishonesty/shiftiness is looked down upon. Games shouldn't be any different.

And their management policies suck. And their employees as a result usually suck.

Top Bottom