• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

gamecube or pro controller? choose your weapon

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Smash 4.
Gamecube controller? (with adapater, thanks smash boards)
or
pro controller?

Which will you be using?
I haven't tried the pro controller but I would love to know how it deals with smash on the wii-u!

Personally I cant see myself getting away from the gamecube controller.
Just need a wii-u now and the gamecube adapter so i can use it on Wii-u.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
If you mean "Wii U Pro Controller", then the answer for me is neither. XD

I'm using the Wii's Classic Controller Pro instead. ¦D

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
When simply comparing the two controllers, I'd pick GameCube. It's my absolute favorite controller of all time and I don't think anything will ever top it for me. But for Sm4sh, well, I'm going Pro. Not going to get adapters for all of my controllers. And besides, I think using a different controller for Sm4sh will help me avoid crippling my ability to play Project M. I can just learn two different control schemes for two different games, instead of having to adjust when switching between the two.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Either should be good with me. I don't have a Wii U yet.(I normally wait a while to get new consoles)The pro controller looks cool. I didn't mind using the Wii mote sideways for Brawl. But I couldn't really use the Wii mote + Nunchuk combo. That didn't feel right.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
How does that game handle with smash? I have never used that controller before.
Depends on your preference. I use custom controls and I absolutely love it.

Classic Controller Pro:

x & a = Jump
y = Special
b = Standard Attacks
L & R = Grab
ZL & ZR =Shield
Tap jump off.

Alternatively, I use ZL as Up-Taunt for Taunt Canceling in Project: M.

As to why I have my controls this way, you can read this lengthy explanation here, if you like.

http://smashboards.com/threads/poll-so-what-controller-do-you-use.340953/#post-15879384

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Either should be good with me. I don't have a Wii U yet.(I normally wait a while to get new consoles)The pro controller looks cool. I didn't mind using the Wii mote sideways for Brawl. But I couldn't really use the Wii mote + Nunchuk combo. That didn't feel right.
The wii mote sideways for brawl? You are a brave man. The wii mote / nunchuck is my brothers prefered way of playing and he aint bad at it. How bout using the wii u tablet for smash lol. I could smash from the comfort of my bed, sounds amazing.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The wii mote sideways for brawl? You are a brave man. The wii mote / nunchuck is my brothers prefered way of playing and he aint bad at it. How bout using the wii u tablet for smash lol. I could smash from the comfort of my bed, sounds amazing.

I mostly played with the GameCube controller. And I don't have the Wii Classic Controller. But using the Wii mote sideways is pretty much like playing with a NES Controller anyway.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Originally, I was gonna say adapters, but I noticed that all the buttons can't be mapped so i'll just go with the Wii U controller Pro for now and I hope the wireless doesn't mess with tournaments. If it does, then i'll go with the adapter. As for the classic pro nah. (mainly because I don't like that the sticks are on the bottom for the classic pro and its annoying to hook it up to a wiimote.)

I've used N64 for the original, I've used the GC controller for melee/brawl/and PM

Even though the gamecube controller is the best i've ever used, for smash 4 i'll just re-learn just like I did for 64 to melee, no big deal since the 3ds version will force you to adapt anyway.

Unless Nintendo makes a Wii U gamecube controller for smash 4, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Originally, I was gonna say adapters, but I noticed that all the buttons can't be mapped so i'll just go with the Wii U controller Pro. (mainly because I don't like that the sticks are on the bottom for the classic pro.)

I've used N64 for the original, I've used the GC controller for melee/brawl/and PM

Even though the gamecube controller is the best i've ever used, for smash 4 i'll just re-learn just like I did for 64 to melee, no big deal since the 3ds version will force you to adapt anyway.

Unless Nintendo makes a Wii U gamecube controller for smash 4, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.
So with the adapters for the wii u to use gamecube controllers wont be like using a gc controller on the wii for smash? That would suck...

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Pro controller all the way. As someone who's often had to use the Wimote on its side, I can deal with not being able to use the GC controller. Besides, the pro controller isn't even bad, it's awesome.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
So with the adapters for the wii u to use gamecube controllers wont be like using a gc controller on the wii for smash? That would suck...
Yeah if you read the amazon review, it would be missing the ZL button. Unless smash supports the classic and classic controller pro then i think there shouldn't be a problem. but if trying to map anything else like say a wii u controller pro, it won't work.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Yeah if you read the amazon review, it would be missing the ZL button. Unless smash supports the classic and classic controller pro then i think there shouldn't be a problem. but if trying to map anything else like say a wii u controller pro, it won't work.
im sure the new smash will support all the wii accessories like the classic controller/ pro controller/ wii mote and even wii mote and nunchuck, so hopefully that means we can have our gamecube controllers for us that want it for the new game : )

T1000416

Smash Cadet
I like the new Pro Controller and am expecting to beat the hell out of it when I start playing SSB4. If the GC controller will work via adapters then I know will use that as well but I gotta try the game with the Pro controller first.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Gamepad for me, why's nobody saying gamepad? It's included, comfortable and you can take the gameplay down there.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I like the new Pro Controller and am expecting to beat the hell out of it when I start playing SSB4. If the GC controller will work via adapters then I know will use that as well but I gotta try the game with the Pro controller first.
It would be interesting to learn the game with a new controller. Havent done that since melee came out

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I see what you mean but in theory it shouldn't be a problem. Brawl enabled you to make your own controls for your controllers, you could just map different actions that way if it's included in Smash 4.
Gamepad for me, why's nobody saying gamepad? It's included, comfortable and you can take the gameplay down there.
It's not really practical for a fighting game like Smash, with all of the buttons so far apart. Though in single-player it wouldn't be bad, and you could use it for off-TV play or as a second TV of sorts.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Well since the GCC is not able to be wired to the Wii-U and the Wii-U doesn't have a wired controller as of now. I have to say I will most likely play the CCP for Smash4. I dun want to spend money on the GCC adapter when that adapter reads it as a CCP which will mean it would have the same kind of lag as a CCP would, if any. That is the only reason I play the GCC over the CCP on Brawl because for the second stick it is inputs slower then what the second stick of the GCC does. So yea, unless a wired controler gets done for the Wii-U I will use the CCP for Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

The GameCube controller for me!
Though… I don't have an adapter. :( I guess I will be using the Wii U Pro Controller for this game.

T✪NY

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirenSoldier
3DS FC
0602-6384-5044
I might go out and buy the adapter for this game. But honestly you'll have to get used to the new button placement (mainly A,B,X, and Y), of the Pro Controller/ Classic Pro, because the 3DS has the same button layout. I mean if you plan to play competitively on both without having to learn to play 2 different ways.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Wii Classic Controller (pro). It's a dual shock controller, it works. My performance in Smash increased by a lot when I switched from the gamecube to the Wii Classic. The Gamecube controller is better than nunchucks but is just AWKWARD. "That wasn't what I meant to do" syndrome indeed.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
I'll either use the gamepad or my hybrid controller. It works for both Wii and Wii U, and can be registered as either a Wii Remote or a Classic controller Pro with the flip of a switch. The button layout is kinda weird though; both control sticks are on top with the rest of the buttons in a classic controller setup, but I like it that way.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
If I can get my hands on an adapter, I'll most certainly stick to the Gamecube Controller. I've just never been a big fan of the Wii's "Hardcore Gamer" controllers. :I

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
At first I was really worried about the pro controller, but I got to use one when playing co-op Super Mario 3d World, and I can see it will be a lot easier to use for smash than I thought. The way the buttons sit lower than most controllers means that, unlike with a SNES controller, the natural place to rest your thumb is in the wedge between X and A (on SNES I always rested my thumb between Y and B). Between X and A is essentially analagous to how most people including me held a GCN controller: thumb resting between Y and A. Then just like on GCN, you just move your finger down, and basically the exact same distance and position, to hit B when you need to do a special move. Just like on GCN there was no reason to ever hit X, on Wii U Pro, there's probably never going to be any reason to hit Y, and if you pretend the buttons you will never use aren't there (Y on Wii U Pro, X on GCN), it's actually the same triangular button lay-out with the very minor advantage that Y on Wii U Pro is further out of the way than X was on GCN.

The Wii U Pro has far better sticks and shoulder buttons than the GCN controller; the only downside is that you have to relearn where to reach for your "c-stick", but reaching up isn't really worse than reaching down and the real lack of precision or grip on the GCN c-stick was something we learned to deal with and was never a good thing. I think we'll come to see it really is the best controller for smash, and the learning curve will probably be a lot smaller than some of you guys might think now. Especially if you've never actually held one, find a chance; I was doubtful until I did, and then it suddenly made sense to me how it was going to work great.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Classic Controller Pro. I've grown used to it at this point, don't see myself going back.

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
I use a third party one for brawl which has the exact same shape as the Wii U pro, and i find it great for smash, it just takes a little bit to get used to reaching up for the "c stick" istead of down.
I much perfer the triggers of the wii U, because the gamecube ones go in so far before they click.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
there are some third party controllers that have the second stick staggered down.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
For nearly a decade now, I've used a Gamecube Controller for Smash. Thankfully, I have also grown accustomed to the Classic Controller Pro, so if this controller option is to be made compatible with the upcoming Smash title, it would be one I'll be using. As much as I love my GC controller, I couldn't bring myself to buy the adapter, considering that the control scheme for the CCP is similar to that of the GC controller via custom button settings. ^-^

I'm curious to see how well the Wii U Pro Controller is utilized in the next Smash game, especially in a competitive setting. ^-^

Camsterchief

Smash Cadet
the classic controller pro and the wii u pro controller both feel great! only when you button map it to your preference though

Top Bottom