• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube controllers.

RodeoAk

Smash Rookie
I want a gamecube controller but I don't know where to get one at a good price. Is anyone selling one or know a good place that sells them.

P.S. This is my first thread. I don't even know if I am doing this right.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
As far as original GCN controllers go:
- You can find them cheap and used all over the internet, or a lot of GameStops / Comic bookstores like V-stock try and have ones to resell
- Finding them new can be done but less easily and almost always for a much less affordable deal

The New GCN Controllers for Switch
- USB Compatible
- Around 20 bucks, all over the place (Walmarts, Best Buys, Bed Bath and Beyond)
- Worse quality

I would recommend trying to track down an original GCN controller that's in good shape. They're not overtly expensive items no matter what, and the satisfaction will no doubt be lower with a busted up Original or with one of the cheaper, new editions. There's also plenty of people who sell custom GCN controllers that guaruntee you new parts. I must admit, I'm not educated enough to speak on that. I always go for deadstock GCN controllers. Works like a charm.

RodeoAk

Smash Rookie
Would buying a Gamecube controller at GameStop be good? Used controller.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Could you elaborate on this point? I haven't seen it mentioned before, and my GC controller feels and controls perfectly fine.
Could just be preference. To me, the newly produced GCN controllers feel far lighter, and the plastic feels like worse quality. The triggers feel off, as well as the main joystick. There's nothing definitive that says they're actually worse quality. I should have elaborated that I just personally don't prefer their feeling.
Would buying a Gamecube controller at GameStop be good? Used controller.
Just depends on the condition that it's in, really.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
My roommate (who is admittedly rough with controllers) had his USB Gamecube controller stop working the other day, after maybe two months of the same level of use/abuse the original ones have taken for years.

I also agree that it feels odd/cheaper having used a classic GCN for years, but I think I might get used to it over time if I really had to.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
My roommate (who is admittedly rough with controllers) had his USB Gamecube controller stop working the other day, after maybe two months of the same level of use/abuse the original ones have taken for years.

I also agree that it feels odd/cheaper having used a classic GCN for years, but I think I might get used to it over time if I really had to.
Yeah, my conclusion that they're worse quality is really the result of comparison. I have controllers from my original GameCube, purchased in 2002 that still work like a charm. If the new ones are blowing out after two months, they're no OG's.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
GameCube controllers are timeless classics. Best controller ever! imo

I have tried both the original for the GameCube and the wireless ones for the Switch.

I love them in purple! =)

Last edited:

Falx

Smash Rookie
- You can find them cheap and used all over the internet, or a lot of GameStops / Comic bookstores like V-stock try and have ones to resell
- Finding them new can be done but less easily and almost always for a much less affordable deal

- USB Compatible
- Around 20 bucks, all over the place (Walmarts, Best Buys, Bed Bath and Beyond)

- USB Compatible
- Worse quality

I would recommend trying to track down an original GCN controller that's in good shape. They're not overtly expensive items no matter what, and the satisfaction will no doubt be lower with a busted up Original or with one of the cheaper, new editions. There's also plenty of people who sell custom GCN controllers that guaruntee you new parts. I must admit, I'm not educated enough to speak on that. I always go for deadstock GCN controllers. Works like a charm.
- Worse quality

- USB Compatible
- Worse quality

Battle beavers sell nice customs and if your looking for brand new special editions like EVO or SSC you can find them on controller freak

- USB Compatible
- Worse quality

controller chaos and battle beavers are two big brands in custom gc controllers and you can spring for a pdp fight pad if your on a tight budget and need a controller that’s brand new and is just a pro controller in a GameCube layout

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

- USB Compatible
- Worse quality

Honestly? The $25 USB gamecube controller I got from Wal-mart is better than the game cube controller I'd been using before it finally died. Even when the GC was 'in it's prime', the USB one feels fantastic comparatively. It's light weight, which took getting used too, but the shoulder buttons were what really sold me. They have a shallow bottom, unlike GC controllers which can feel loose and need to be pushed down all the way to block or jump (Set my left shoulder to jump). The shoulders on the USB ones click easily and allow me to raise shield way more effectively or jump easier and having a more tactile 'click' when pressed makes it clear the button is registering my input. I've been able to raise and lower shield far easier, making parry loads easier or just quick shield on a whim.

The sticks are also pretty darned good feeling. Buttons all are responsive and feel a bit more modern and less flimsy than my official one do. It's made a leagues worth of difference for just $25 bucks. Plus it also gives me the option to navigate to and from the home screen and sleep mode thanks to having the proper switch buttons on the front so I no longer need to use the joy cons when I'm finished to close/shut down. Not game play related but a huge bonus to them for a Smash grinder like me.

I've had no issues with it yet in the two months I've been using it but we'll see. I'm also not super rough on my controllers which was why my OG controller lasted until just a couple months ago and was my first GC controller I bought when I got Melee all those years ago, lasted me all the way through Pm and Smash 4 and through a year of Ultimate.

Last edited:

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I bought a Hori controller and was very happy with it until a trigger got broken. Plastic quality seems so so in terms of durability. Then I bought a 2nd hand original GC controller; honestly I prefered the Hori feel, which was a bit softer and more responsive IMO. That said I like my GC controller. The problem now is that the left stick does no longer respond well and I m considering buying a new controller.
What would you recommend between Hori, Nintendo and Power A? Hori has better reviews than Power A but I know it will likely not last lo ger than my first one. Looking at reviews on Amazn website, there seem to be some quality issues with the Nintendo one (new) as well and it is much more expensive than the Hori (about 3 times). What do you recommend ?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I bought a Hori controller and was very happy with it until a trigger got broken. Plastic quality seems so so in terms of durability. Then I bought a 2nd hand original GC controller; honestly I prefered the Hori feel, which was a bit softer and more responsive IMO. That said I like my GC controller. The problem now is that the left stick does no longer respond well and I m considering buying a new controller.
What would you recommend between Hori, Nintendo and Power A? Hori has better reviews than Power A but I know it will likely not last lo ger than my first one. Looking at reviews on Amazn website, there seem to be some quality issues with the Nintendo one (new) as well and it is much more expensive than the Hori (about 3 times). What do you recommend ?
In my post directly above yours, I found a third party one at Wal-mart. It looks just like a gamecube controller but has really responsive buttons. It's USB so you don't need to use the adapter on your switch and it cost me $25. I've had it for some months now and have yet to have any issues even with daily use (Sometimes up to 6 hours of play a day). It also possesses all the home buttons and such you need so you don't need to switch to joycon to navigate the Switch itself, making it doubly useful. I suggest giving it a shot, personally. Mine was is the Power-A controller

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/powera...ZgflmyMWOsSptrBpe5YaAnGyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
In my post directly above yours, I found a third party one at Wal-mart. It looks just like a gamecube controller but has really responsive buttons. It's USB so you don't need to use the adapter on your switch and it cost me $25. I've had it for some months now and have yet to have any issues even with daily use (Sometimes up to 6 hours of play a day). It also possesses all the home buttons and such you need so you don't need to switch to joycon to navigate the Switch itself, making it doubly useful. I suggest giving it a shot, personally. Mine was is the Power-A controller

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/powera...ZgflmyMWOsSptrBpe5YaAnGyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
We have that one and the only issue is that it's not built as sturdily as the originals. It doesn't take abuse well--which could mean it won't last as long from regular use either, but who knows.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
We have that one and the only issue is that it's not built as sturdily as the originals. It doesn't take abuse well--which could mean it won't last as long from regular use either, but who knows.
Knock on wood mine has been holding up with no issues. I use it a lot. Like I said, I generally play 6+ hours of Smash a day though I'm not super rough on my controllers and even when I might get a high dose of salt I don't toss my controllers. After my OG controller died after having it for AGES, this was the next best substitute as I didn't want to wear down my Wave Bird by playing Smash XD

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
How does the new official Nintendo GCC compare with the old one and compared with the PowerA?
It is true that the original one feels more sturdily built than my Hori one. What about PowerA and new Nintendo official ?
The Nintendo official is so expensive... worth it or not?

Tortfeasor

Smash Cadet
How does the new official Nintendo GCC compare with the old one and compared with the PowerA?
It is true that the original one feels more sturdily built than my Hori one. What about PowerA and new Nintendo official ?
The Nintendo official is so expensive... worth it or not?
I have both my original GC controller and the new Nintendo Smash GC controller. Something just feels off about the new one, so much so that I switched to using my original GC controller. The new one, especially the left stick feels less responsive.

That being said, I've mostly been using an 8bitdo Sn30 Pro controller. I prefer the SNES layout for the buttons, though I do miss the octagonal border around the sticks.

Top Bottom