• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube controller for Wii U (Petition!)

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Support it here:

https://www.change.org/petitions/nintendo-develop-a-gamecube-controller-style-wii-u-controller

Why?

In the future we will need to have USB-wired gamecube controller for Wii U in order to properly play Melee on Wii U. That's how future tournaments will be able to use Wii U setups with low-latency and high quality screens. Controller should be wired to avoid bluetooth/lag issues a tournaments.

Then we can finally start slowly to get rid of CRT TVs once the price of these screens goes down.

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
Does anyone know if the third party models work with the Wii U? Like I know you can already buy USB Gamecube controllers.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I remember seeing something like this awhile back, I'm vastly in favor.
I would rather have a quality nintendo brand controller than a 3rd party knockoff any day.

Kadano

Magical Express
Signed it. The adapters have been reported to work just fine, but we’ll run out of white controllers eventually.

Last edited:

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
Signed it. The adapters have been reported to work just fine, but we’ll run out of white controllers eventually.
The adaptors aren't wired though, you're just allowing your GCN to be plugged into a Wiimote. Isn't there some concern about that?

Massive

Smash Champion
This actually effects smash 4's competitive value more than melee's. The wireless interference/input delay on smash 4 is going to be a pretty major obstacle for tournaments.

Also, as far as I know, there are no wired controllers that work on the WiiU. There are controllers that will charge over USB, but they're still relying on the bluetooth connection to send commands.

Last edited:

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Also, as far as I know, there are no wired controllers that work on the WiiU. There are controllers that will charge over USB, but they're still relying on the bluetooth connection to send commands.
That's what I think I read too, so I'm skeptical about a wired GC controller. Still cool though.

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
If Nintendo makes an actual one for the USB ports it can work I bet. Its just a matter of Nintendo getting on board lol

pwbluesky

Smash Rookie
It sounds to me like people want more than the controller itself. To clarify any misconceptions, inputs cannot be fed through a USB port on a Wii U, the USB ports are purely there to be able to charge things like the Pro controller, or to be able to load/dump data onto the Wii U (used as a secondary drive of sort), unfortunately.

Top Bottom